• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall still fun!!

Bought it at launch and I'm just getting up on 80 hours now. It isn't a crazy amount of hours, I realize, but I'm a working man now so anything past 20 hours in a game for me is an achievement. Also, I had been away from my computer for 3 months, so take that into account.

This is still my go-to game. I absolutely love it. I've gotten literally all my friends into it in the last few months, and we go in and tear shit up. It's an absolute blast. I don't mind the lack of content when I enjoy the gameplay so much. I just love competing with others and even my friends' scores.

As lame as it sounds, we even have an Avengers motif among our group, messaging each other "Avengers Assemble!" when we want to play, referring to each other by Avenger names occasionally, myself yelling "HULK SMASH" whenever I terminate a pilot.

A 5-10 hour SP campaign would have kept you playing Titanfall for weeks/months on end? A few more maps? Some cute decals for your Titan? What?

If the core gameplay is solid, people won't get bored. Look at Counter-Strike: People still just play de_dust2. Like 10+ years later, people are still playing the same map, with the same spawn locations, same bomb sites, same weapons, and everything. Just with better graphics.

When people say they got bored with Titanfall because of "lack of content", I just see a demand for more window dressing and gimmicks. Which they would quickly get bored of, too.

You may be on to something. Then the problem lies somewhere deeper towards the more fundamental level? No bots + more players? More game modes? No titans? I wonder why it dropped so quickly.

Personally I found the core movement and gunplay fun but quickly tired of the large maps and Titans in general. Would adore a small map no titan playlist with only pilots. (Someone will undoubtedly say "wait for COD:AW")

Killer

Banned
Would adore a small map no titan playlist with only pilots. (Someone will undoubtedly say "wait for COD:AW")

It would be another COD clone. Bots and Titans are what distinguish this game from others. Even the parkour stuff will be in the new COD:AW.

antitrop

You may be on to something. Then the problem lies somewhere deeper towards the more fundamental level? No bots + more players? More game modes? No titans? I wonder why it dropped so quickly.

Personally I found the core movement and gunplay fun but quickly tired of the large maps and Titans in general. Would adore a small map no titan playlist with only pilots. (Someone will undoubtedly say "wait for COD:AW")
"Lack of content" is lazy criticism.

This guy gives a much better summary of why Titanfall "dropped off": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svnis1Wy4uo

Muffdraul

I haven't been into MP since the Quake 3 days, I've been out of the game for a very very long time. I've steadfastly resisted every opportunity to get back into it for all these years, the only exceptions being the Halo 3 and Reach betas. Being a massive Bungie fan and Destiny being online only, it was the Destiny beta that finally broke me, there's no way I'm missing out on that game, online be damned. So now, I figure I should start getting my feet wet in preparation.

That, paired with my poor starving XBone that has never had a really awesome exclusive played on it yet (sorry, I thought Ryse and DR3 sucked) I think I'm going to pick up Titanfall on the way home tonight. I'll probably focus more on the "MP campaign" than the competitive stuff, at least for the first few days.

GT: Druffmaul

Bought it for £20 odd on PC enjoyed it for a while but it was really just the same thing over and over. I think I paid £5-10 more than I should have.

The framework is there in the great gameplay but my word does the game need more FREE content.

Gundy2010

But they do. Especially when you're core ability is charged. Playing in an Ogre is not remotely close to playing in a Stryder. Ogres soak damage, Stryders avoid getting hit in the first place and are great for quick hit and run attacks on the flank, while Atlas titans are of course the general purpose damage dealers. A skilled pilot in any titan can beat any other titan of course, but it depends on what type you like to play. I always roll with a Stryder myself, since I find the flanking ability great for dividing the attention of enemy titans from the main group.

Yes.

True, but selecting chasis in TF is no different than weapon add-ons. It's all about trade-offs, not functionalities. Choosing Stryder over Atlas is really no different than adding a silencer to your SMG really. On the contrary, MBT and IFV in BF3/4 have completly different arsenal and kits/abilities, it's not like IFV is simply faster and more fragile than MBT.

I stopped playing ~2 weeks after launch and I just can't go back to it.

Yep. For the first week it was the greatest FPS out there, the second week it was as fun as any other standard game... After that? Fully done with it, no desire to install it again whatsoever.
That might be due to the stupidly large file size

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
That, paired with my poor starving XBone that has never had a really awesome exclusive played on it yet (sorry, I thought Ryse and DR3 sucked) I think I'm going to pick up Titanfall on the way home tonight. I'll probably focus more on the "MP campaign" than the competitive stuff, at least for the first few days.

GT: Druffmaul

Unless your bandwidth is shit and you must have the disc version, buy it from the marketplace, it's half off @ $25 this week.

Muffdraul

Unless your bandwidth is shit and you must have the disc version, buy it from the marketplace, it's half off @ $25 this week.

I considered that, but you guessed it- my bandwidth is shit. Like from a butt. Good enough that I had no difficulties playing the Destiny beta, but it does try my patience when downloading stuff I wanna play. Thanks for the tip though, I appreciate it.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a feeling I would enjoy this on consoles. With a mouse though, the weapons are far too lethal/pilot health is too low to get any sort of enjoyment out of it.

I liked the Titan modes alright though.

oxidax

Fwiw - there are a number of matchmaking changes coming up in (what should be) the next patch that are meant to help frustrating situations like what you're seeing, and others. It's in testing now and we'll be tweaking it once it's live.

Thats very good to hear!!

i play it quite often. it really is the spiritual successor to COD. yeah, i do think it came out little too early without the features that i shouldve had when it came out, but it's still fun as hell. one thing great is that they keep adding to it and improving it. one mode i do want to see is hardcore mode and pilots only mode.

thoughts on titanfall 2: all the stuff we already have now + more titans, camo and paint(all black), able to repair, leaderboards, maybe another faction, customize pilot, dual wield for both titan and pilot, dual pilot titan, hologram, titan cloak, clan support, what else?

T.O.P

Banned
Still playing the game dayle

It just feels good, control re tight as hell and it never gets boring to drop a titan (especially if there's an enemy under it :D)

chriskun

I still play this game weekly but one thing this game does lack is variety. I'm not talking about game modes but more so the fundamental combat in the game. There is really only one way to play this game, which is to constantly be running around, and get your titan. Due to the mechanics of the game, any other play style is just not viable. I think that is one reason why COD was so popular, it accomodated everything from campers to rush down knifing loadouts.

Bydobob

I've had several exiles and returns to the game, and don't think I'll ever be able to give this game up for good. Not while there's still an active community anyway. Game is a blood-pumping thrill-fest and delivers more spectacular moments in a single match than most other shooters do in an entire session. Lack of content be damned, I play Attrition 95% of the time and haven't even bothered with the DLC yet.

jackdoe

I have it on PC. Just bought it and the season pass a couple months ago. I had some issues finding campaign games but I've never had an issue finding games super quick on MP attrition. I actually think having the DLC is why I get games so quick. I've seen the new maps a lot now. Seems to be a pretty active community.

I love the game on PC.
See, my personal problem is that Attrition is my least favorite mode. It's the least interesting. It was the other modes that I had issues getting into games before I just stopped playing all together.

Omega

Banned
i play it quite often. it really is the spiritual successor to COD. yeah, i do think it came out little too early without the features that i shouldve had when it came out, but it's still fun as hell. one thing great is that they keep adding to it and improving it. one mode i do want to see is hardcore mode and pilots only mode.

thoughts on titanfall 2: all the stuff we already have now + more titans, camo and paint(all black), able to repair, leaderboards, maybe another faction, customize pilot, dual wield for both titan and pilot, dual pilot titan, hologram, titan cloak, clan support, what else?

u wot m8

this would be the most OP thing ever.

Victrix

*beard*
I still play this game weekly but one thing this game does lack is variety. I'm not talking about game modes but more so the fundamental combat in the game. There is really only one way to play this game, which is to constantly be running around, and get your titan. Due to the mechanics of the game, any other play style is just not viable. I think that is one reason why COD was so popular, it accomodated everything from campers to rush down knifing loadouts.

Depends on the game mode. Want to camp, play CTF or Hardpoint.

Omega

Banned
A game "doesn't let you camp" and that's somehow a bad thing. Wow

btw you can camp. not good enough to camp =/= game doesn't allow you to camp

Victrix

*beard*
A game "doesn't let you camp" and that's somehow a bad thing. Wow

btw you can camp. not good enough to camp =/= game doesn't allow you to camp

It is a bad thing, to quite a few people.

Instead of being dismissive and smug, you could look at the thrust of the complaint, which is that TF is generally a high intensity fps focused on aggressive over defensive play. Which is true, and a valid complaint.

Doesn't mean it's worse, just means that TF generally has the intensity slider cranked to 11 at almost all times, some other fps games let you slow the pace down and still contribute effectively.

TF certainly isn't the game to play if your idea of a good time is chilling on a hill with a sniper rifle for ten minutes though. Actively defending an objective area, yes, chilling out in a random room or rooftop the entire match and expecting to do well, not so much.

SURGEdude

I only have fun when I'm on the top

You and my girlfriend share that opinion :p

I have it on PC. Just bought it and the season pass a couple months ago. I had some issues finding campaign games but I've never had an issue finding games super quick on MP attrition. I actually think having the DLC is why I get games so quick. I've seen the new maps a lot now. Seems to be a pretty active community.

I love the game on PC.

Good to know that the DLC isn't a waste before possibly taking the leap on a whim during the next sale.

For the life of me I can't fathom how publishers can think its reasonable to sell multiplayer-only DLC without giving the customer any idea if there is anybody else who has it or if they are just burning their money on a dead game or DLC that never caught on.

I'll give COD and Steam major props for including at least the basic player count for games so you can make a slightly informed judgement on spending the cash. Based on mixed success with connecting to games quickly I have no clue if 300 people are playing or 30,000. Of course there is always the factor of issues with the matchmaking server itself just to further complicate it as well.

Ecto311

Ordered it again for the xbox one from gamefly for $20 yesterday. GT - Ecto311 when it gets back probably the only thing I will be playing till destiny

RoKKeR

Played on XBO with a friend yesterday.

Framerate is definitely a lot smoother now and it's a good romp for a while. However after an hour or so we just get bored and want to play Halo.

Fun game, great concept, just not enough depth to hold my interest for long periods of time.

Jito

Banned
Example of the amazing matchmaking in Titanfall.

U7YdpBY.jpg

Game started 2 v 2 which is bad enough as is but as the game went on all joining players were put onto the enemy team, making it 6 v 2 eventually and they turned it around to beat us. Has to be the worst matchmaking I've ever seen in a game, even after they've "fixed it" with the last few updates.

Yup, still a great game and getting better with every update. Still play it daily on PC, have no trouble finding populated games unlike some on here

Game started 2 v 2 which is bad enough as is but as the game went on all joining players were put onto the enemy team, making it 6 v 2 eventually and they turned it around to beat us. Has to be the worst matchmaking I've ever seen in a game, even after they've "fixed it" with the last few updates.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

You 2 guys were just too good... ;)

kmg90

"Believe the Hype"

I'm still a bit curious to play it but don't have a great PC to play it on nor do I want to pay Xbox Live Gold just to try it out on 360... No way I'm buying Xbox One in the next year or two.

Doombacon

No MMR/Elo/super sexy titan ranking point system will mean that the game will never be more than a casual distraction for me. Getting shit stomped by people way out of my league and crushing people way worse than me are not fun experiences for me.

I really hope they add a proper matchmaking system in Titanfall 2 or at least support dedicated servers so you can find communities of similar skill level on your own.

Zakalwe

Banned
I loved the game for a month or so, but the gameplay just doesn't hold up for me. It's incredibly shallow, and while fun in short bursts becomes repetitive fast.

I think it's a great foundation, looking forward to seeing what they achieve with TF2.

Killer

Banned
I loved the game for a month or so, but the gameplay just doesn't hold up for me. It's incredibly shallow, and while fun in short bursts becomes repetitive fast.

I think it's a great foundation, looking forward to seeing what they achieve with TF2.

wat! What's shallow about it? parkour stuff and jumping from wall to wall never gets old.

YuShtink

Finally picked it up with that games for gold $25 deal. Wanted to get it earlier but all of my friends have dragged their feet on joining this generation so I couldn't justify paying $50-60 for an online only game I'd be playing mostly alone. But yea, glad I got it. Having a lot of fun so far, and there are plenty of noobies around because of the sale so I don't feel very outgunned coming in late to the party.

Top Bottom