• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanic: Honor & Glory (Titantic simulator/game) demo 3 is out, with VR support

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This is a game (with optional VR support) which take place on the real world Titanic passenger liner (featuring historic real world passengers), but with some fictional content for gameplay.
To quote the OP of a thread from last year that is related to this game

From "Titanic: Honor & Glory" game.

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9w5bgtJC8

Long video obviously but very eerie. Highlight of the game will be the most detailed and accurate virtual Titanic ship ever created (with UE4 engine). Supposedly, the whole interior of the ship will be fully rendered and explorable, down to the tiniest details, once the project is finished. The team also seems obsessed with the material and do a lot of research so they are trying to make it as accurate looking as possible. Now, imagine exploring the whole ship as it's sinking in real time. Using a VR device.

There's also a playable demo on the site where you can explore a small fraction of the ship (around 3% of it) and it looks INSANE.

They just released a demo 3 which free up more area to explore on the Titanic. The demo 3 also has a seperate VR version for the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift

-shadow-

Wow that seems like a huge improvement. Always wanted to try this but some reason never did. Curious if I'll be able to try it in VR some day.

nkarafo

Just tested this and i'm pretty disappointed to say the least.

The performance has tanked big way. The previous demo could run on my older 960 at "epic" settings, at smooth 60fps. This one can't hold 60fps even on a mix of medium/high settings (not a single one @ epic) on a 1060 6GB. That's both inside or outside the ship.

collige

Banned
Just played the demo for this. It's easily one of the best looking VR experiences I've ever had, but the performance was awful. It virtually never ran smoothly, and that's on a 1080ti.

This is amazing. Like a living museum. Don't have VR but even standard I could see how awesome this kind of stuff is. Videogame tech utilized for educational purposes really should be expanded upon.

Compsiox

Banned
Doesn't look to be that one. I'm kinda pissed, because I helped Kickstart it, and then this other game was in the works anyway?

It's kind of your fault though since it had already been in development long before this kickstarter.

Should have done some research.

But hey more historical games has never hurt anyone.

I've been fascinated with the ship since I was a kid. Even watched that entire sinking video a while back, eerie. I'm not sure I could do a VR walkthrough of it during the sinking though, that'd be almost too much.

I wonder if they'll allow for the viewer/player to follow the ship down to its resting place on the ocean floor. That'd be something else. Although it would get pitch black fairly quickly.

will download it and check it out. i remember trying one of the demos a long time ago and it was a bit boring. i love titanic though so excited about what they are doing.
So how long until they do a simulation of the twin towers collapse or even better, a covid simulator lol.
2101 for twin towers and 2119 for covid.

/s

anyway what's your point? the guys at TH&G do such a great job sharing stories of those who were involved. it's not a cash grab they are doing it to honor (it's in the name isn't it) those involved in the tragedy. do you have a problem with the countless games that are set during wars?

Last edited:

nkarafo

Kinda disappointed by the new demo.

- Gamepad analog sticks don't work anymore.

- There is an obscene amount of popping compared to the older demos.

- This crap:

8OqZSuH.jpg

SNkZiOQ.jpg

Above is new, below is the older Demo 3.

They implemented the crappy camera effect where everything becomes a blinding light and you can't see anything if it's just a bit brighter than the place you are. A lot of games have this but they turned it to eleven here and there are areas where it looks completely wrong, like the picture is burned by an overblown contrast setting.

Like this:

mhOOYh1.jpg

....Yeah :(

There is also a lot of stuttering:

G09VQim.png

I locked the frame rate so it won't max out the GFX card but there are hitches in steady intervals, even if i don't move and just sit there.

The previous demos did not have those issues.

Last edited:

ThaGuy

will download it and check it out. i remember trying one of the demos a long time ago and it was a bit boring. i love titanic though so excited about what they are doing.

2101 for twin towers and 2119 for covid.

/s

anyway what's your point? the guys at TH&G do such a great job sharing stories of those who were involved. it's not a cash grab they are doing it to honor (it's in the name isn't it) those involved in the tragedy. do you have a problem with the countless games that are set during wars?

Sarcasm meter broken much 😂. I have no problems with the games developers make.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I always wondered if I could go back in time to when the Titanic was due to make its first and last official journey, would I try to avert the disaster?

Before I knew about time causality I was sure I would. Not sure anymore. What a dilemma that could prove to be in a video game. :)

Kinda disappointed by the new demo.

- Gamepad analog sticks don't work anymore.

- There is an obscene amount of popping compared to the older demos.

- This crap:

8OqZSuH.jpg

SNkZiOQ.jpg

Above is new, below is the older Demo 3.

They implemented the crappy camera effect where everything becomes a blinding light and you can't see anything if it's just a bit brighter than the place you are. A lot of games have this but they turned it to eleven here and there are areas where it looks completely wrong, like the picture is burned by an overblown contrast setting.

Like this:

mhOOYh1.jpg

....Yeah :(

There is also a lot of stuttering:

G09VQim.png

I locked the frame rate so it won't max out the GFX card but there are hitches in steady intervals, even if i don't move and just sit there.

The previous demos did not have those issues.
I get the 2nd example, because it looks like you're headed outside and maybe the sun is shining there. But, the first? There's no reason that entry room should be lit like the sun is being held within. The old version looks way better there.

nkarafo

The latest Demo 401 v2 is a big improvement.

Performance is better, i get better frame rates and less stutters. Pop-in is still very intense, something the older demos didn't suffer from.

Dreadful auto-exposure is still here but at least it has a slider to balance it in a way to look less dreadful.

So a step to the right direction.

Top Bottom