• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Tlaib slams 'anti-Muslim rhetoric' after Florida official says she might 'blow up' Capitol Hill

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
Tlaib slams 'anti-Muslim rhetoric' after Florida official says she might 'blow up' Capitol Hill

Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) on Tuesday decried “hateful anti-Muslim rhetoric” after a South Florida official accused her of being an anti-Semite who might “blow up Capitol Hill.”

“This sort of hateful anti-Muslim rhetoric doesn’t happen in a vacuum — this President embraced it and Republicans have happily gone along with it,” Tlaib, one of the first two Muslim women elected to Congress, wrote on Twitter.
This sort of hateful anti-Muslim rhetoric doesn’t happen in a vacuum - this President embraced it and Republicans have happily gone along with it.https://t.co/3THoHQmRVy
— Rashida Tlaib (@RashidaTlaib) January 15, 2019

Her tweet comes after Anabelle Lima-Taub, a Hallandale commissioner in Broward County, signed an online petition seeking to remove Tlaib from office after the lawmaker vowed to go after President Trump and "impeach the motherf---er,” the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Monday.
Lima-Taub, who is Jewish, then shared the petition in a now-deleted post on her personal Facebook page.

“A Hamas-loving anti-Semite has NO place in government! She is a danger and would not put it past her to become a martyr and blow up Capitol Hill,” Lima-Taub reportedly wrote.

Lima-Taub did not respond to the Sun-Sentinel’s requests for comment.

Muslim advocacy groups condemned her remarks and demanded she issue a public apology.

“That level of racism and bigotry has no place in Florida’s politics,” said Vetnah Monessar, state director for Emgage, a nonprofit focused on civic engagement among Muslim Americans. “Muslims are part of the fabric of this country. We demand that Commissioner Taub apologize to her constituents and the general public.”

Hallandale Vice Mayor Sabrina Javellana told the newspaper that she was stunned by Lima-Taub’s “outrageous” claim, but stopped short of demanding an apology.

“To say [the congresswoman] could 'blow up' Capitol Hill is really inappropriate,” Javellana said. “Congressman Steve King from Iowa has openly embraced white supremacy and I don’t see anyone condemning him. Maybe she’s being targeted because she’s a woman and because she’s a Muslim.”

Tlaib came under fire earlier this month when, hours after she was sworn into office, she told a crowd of supporters that "we're going to go in and impeach the motherf---er.

The Michigan Democrat doubled down after she faced backlash from Republicans questioning her civility and decorum, saying she was “#unapologeticallyMe.”

"This is not just about Donald Trump," she wrote on Twitter. "This is about all of us. In the face of this constitutional crisis, we must rise."

I may not like Tlaib but I don't agree with saying she will blow up capital hill. Calling her out for BDS suppport or Hamas support is ok and calling Trump and MFr isn't very civil, but saying she will do a terrorist attack is crossing a line.

The Scrivener

Oct 21, 2014
"Muslims are part of the fabric of this country."

America? Only a Muslim would say that.

Don't worry, I'm not racist: all politicians are scum.

Last edited:

finowns

May 10, 2009
I'm against this kind of name calling but she seems almost surprised as she calls people racist and alludes to treason. If one side says you’re a racist and a Nazi why would anyone be surprised when they reply with terrorist and anti-Semite. We just saw the MAGA kids, who were doing nothing, called every name in the book.

If you want decorum act decorous.

Last edited:

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
“A Hamas-loving anti-Semite has NO place in government! She is a danger and would not put it past her to become a martyr and blow up Capitol Hill,”

I agee with this. She has no place there. She is an Anti -semite

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
I'm against this kind of name calling but she seems almost surprised as she calls people racist and alludes to treason. If one side says your a racist and a Nazi why would anyone be surprised when they reply with terrorist and anti-Semite. We just saw the MAGA kids, who were doing nothing, called every name in the book.

If you want decorum act decorous.

Trump has no decorum. He's been more foul mouthed than every president before him.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Trump has no decorum. He's been more foul mouthed than every president before him.

I feel like I need to make an important distinction here before anyone tries to jump on you Deaf because I know how some people on here love semantics and technicalities.

Trump is by far the most foul mouthed President we have ever had in PUBLIC. I don't think there is anyone who thinks that every President up until now is a saint. They just behaved like proper adults and with dignity befitting the office of the President when in the public eye (most of the time anyway) Whereas Trump behaves however the hell he wants while in public and doesn't really give a damn.

However we have had loads of embarrassments to fill the position who behaved like imbeciles and assholes behind closed doors. Lyndon B. Johnson is the first that comes to mind and his long history of.....shall we say "colorful" language and behavior. But it doesn't get as much attention due to the fact he never behaved in such a way in public and thanks to the efforts of various journalists and members of his staff alot of it was covered up.

An interesting read about some of his antics for anyone interested.

The most vulgar American president ever? It sure as #$@!%* isn't Donald Trump

By Scott Van Wynsberghe

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/th...n-president-ever-it-sure-as-isnt-donald-trump

Last edited:

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
An unfiltered LBJ twitter feed would have been quite amazing. And that article does not even have this one
Fuck your parliament and your constitution. America is an elephant. Cyprus is a flea. Greece is a flea. If these two fleas continue itching the elephant, they may just get whacked good ... We pay a lot of good American dollars to the Greeks, Mr. Ambassador. If your Prime Minister gives me talk about democracy, parliament and constitution, he, his parliament and his constitution may not last long ...

Last edited:

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
Trump is by far the most foul mouthed President we have ever had in PUBLIC. I don't think there is anyone who thinks that every President up until now is a saint. They just behaved like proper adults and with dignity befitting the office of the President when in the public eye (most of the time anyway) Whereas Trump behaves however the hell he wants while in public and doesn't really give a damn.

Trump is to politics quite like what punk was to music. Some hate it and some love it, but things certainly aren't the same anymore. He's not quite GG Allin territory though... yet! :D

Last edited:

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Don’t like Tlaib, and now I don’t like a stupid lady on the Hallandale Beach county committee. Fret not, I’m sure this comment will be more than enough to end her political aspirations.