Tlaib turns history on its head with "safe haven" comment

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
TLAIB TURNS HISTORY ON ITS HEAD WITH ‘SAFE HAVEN’ COMMENT - ANALYSIS

On Saturday, US Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib claimed that she thought it was her Palestinian ancestors who provided a “safe haven for Jews.” According to a report she claimed that while Palestinians had “lost their land and some lost their lives” it was done “in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-Holocaust, post-tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And I love that it was my ancestors that provided that in many ways.” One problem. That’s the opposite of what happened.

As the Nazi persecution of the Jews was seeking to deprive them of their rights, after the 1935 Nuremberg Laws and the Kristallnacht pogrom in 1938, the Palestinian Arab revolt in British Mandate Palestine led to restrictions on Jewish immigration. At precisely the time when Jews needed a safe haven – it was taken from them – by the British authorities and due, in large part, to Palestinian Arab opposition to Jewish refugee immigration.

The 1939 White Paper created by the Secretary of State for the Colonies in May 1939 was a response to three years of the revolt in Palestine led by Mufti Hajj Amin al-Husseini. It began in May 1936 and was not fully defeated until August 1939. The White Paper limited Jewish immigration to 75,000 people in five years, precisely the years of the Holocaust. The British couldn’t have known this at the time but they would have known that the MS St. Louis had left Hamburg on May 13, 1939 with Jewish refugees seeking to flee Germany. The ship was prevented from letting its refugees off in Canada and the US and 254 of the refugees were murdered by the Nazis. In fact the boat was forced back to Europe in June of 1939 and the UK took 288 of its 900 passengers. So the UK was keenly aware of the Jewish refugees fleeing Europe.

But the UK wanted to placate the Palestinian Arab rebels as the war clouds gathered in Europe. The White Paper was the response. The problem with Tlaib’s characterization of Palestine as a “safe haven” is that the reality was that Jewish immigrants and refugees were not welcomed or provided a safe haven in the country. Instead they faced consistent harassment and massacre. In April 1920 Husseini, the same one who led the Arab Revolt in the 1930s, used the occasion of the religious procession of Nebi Musa to instigate riots against Jews. The British concluded that the riots were due to “Arab disappointment at non-fulfillment of the promises of independence” and “Arab belief that the Balfour Declaration implied a denial of self-determination.” The November 1917 Balfour Declaration had been issued by the British with promises to help create a national home for the Jewish people in Palestine.

In August 1929 more riots across British Mandate Palestine led to the murder of 133 Jews, including the massacre of Jews in Hebron. These were also incited by Husseini who had given out pamphlets claiming there was a Jewish conspiracy to take over Al-Aqsa mosque. This was not a “safe haven” but a butchering and persecution of ancient Jewish communities in places like Hebron. It was not opposition to “Zionism” but the purposeful targeting of the most vulnerable and indigenous Jewish communities.

Far from being a safe haven, the British interned Jewish refugees in camps in Palestine. At Atlit one of many of the internment camps for Jews can still be seen. It is thought that 122,000 Jews were able to flee through the British blockade to Palestine, but many thousands ended up in camps like Atlit. They were sprayed with DDT, which harmed their health.

The British even sought to deport Jewish refugees who were able to make it, to other countries. For instance they tried to send 1,800 Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Europe in 1940 to Mauritius aboard the ship Patria and another ship named Atlantic. This was not a “safe haven” but a brutal treatment meted out to the weakest and most vulnerable people who had risked everything trying to flee Hitler’s Europe. At a time when Jews needed desperately to leave not only were western country’s doors closed to them, but also the doors of Palestine and other areas in the Middle East.

Husseini, the Palestinian Arab leader, had fled British Palestine by this time and ended up briefly in Lebanon and then in Iraq. In Iraq he supported the extremist nationalism that led to the Rashid Ali coup and the attacks on Jews known as the Farhud in which hundreds of Jews were killed. Later Husseini was able to get to Hitler’s Europe where he supported the Holocaust.

There were Palestinian Arab leaders who sought reconciliation and coexistence. Fakhri Nashashib, who was assassinated by the Husseini’s agents, had good relations with Jews in British Palestine. His funeral was attended by Sephardi Chief Rabbi Ben-Zion Meir Hai Uziel, Yitzhak Ben-Zvi, Moshe Shertok and former Jerusalem mayor Daniel Auster. But in general the voices that might have created a safe haven were either drowned out, ignored or assassinated by extremists.
How can people not even know their own history.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: bigedole

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
If its not a lifetime movie or drip fed by the media how are people going to understand history?
I mean you cant expect people to Google or do some basic research into the matter? Sounds like white supremacy to me.
Plus she is a woman of colour why should she have any reason to mislead or lie to us? Sound like you are a racist (possible Islamophobe) too.

finowns

May 10, 2009
Not to mention that the British were given the land, after the defeat of the Ottoman Empire, by the UN for the expressed purpose of making a homeland for the Jews.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Right there with AOC making dumb statements. Kind of used to elected officials making comments devoid of actual thought.

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
There are a few instances where context doesnt matter, one of them is when you say "There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust"

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
Closet islamists think they are subtle but in reality they are the most obvious eye rolling in your face bullshiters of any sect currently operating in the west lucky for them people on the left who support them are even dumber and basically say "thank you" after being played for a fool all while the rest of non brain damaged people can just face palm as the islamists piss themselves laughing how easy it is.
Sarsour, Tlaib, Ohmar same shit different asshole.

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018
Closet islamists think they are subtle but in reality they are the most obvious eye rolling in your face bullshiters of any sect currently operating in the west lucky for them people on the left who support them are even dumber and basically say "thank you" after being played for a fool all while the rest of non brain damaged people can just face palm as the islamists piss themselves laughing how easy it is.
Sarsour, Tlaib, Ohmar same shit different asshole.
Yeah, but I think the much more important question and matter is how exactly did these islamists actually get publicly elected to office in Michigan and Minnesota?

I could google it, but I've always just assumed that they must be alright since they were elected somehow, but lately I've begun to wonder who and how and why these people got elected. Was there any story around them getting elected? What happened? I ask here because fellow GAF may know since I wasn't following when it happened.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Yeah, but I think the much more important question and matter is how exactly did these islamists actually get publicly elected to office in Michigan and Minnesota?

I could google it, but I've always just assumed that they must be alright since they were elected somehow, but lately I've begun to wonder who and how and why these people got elected. Was there any story around them getting elected? What happened? I ask here because fellow GAF may know since I wasn't following when it happened.
A group called 'Justice Democrats' primaried a lot of well-established "safe" Democrats in those districts. It is one reason why the DCCC enacted rules to hinder these sort of coups.

Tlaib, Omar, and AOC all belong to the same Justice Democrats organization.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa

When you have a district where being a D means you automatically win, whatever group has the most motivation to show up and vote in the Democratic primary wins the general election by default. Democrats have pretty low turnout for primaries especially in non-presidential years, so even small minorities who turn out at a high percentage control who wins.

Edit: Minority doesn't just mean race in this case, though it often does. Could be single-issue voters who get motivated, or unions, or whatever.

Last edited:

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
A group called 'Justice Democrats' primaried a lot of well-established "safe" Democrats in those districts. It is one reason why the DCCC enacted rules to hinder these sort of coups.

Tlaib, Omar, and AOC all belong to the same Justice Democrats organization.
Yes because opposing corporate money in campaigns is a bad thing. *rolls eyes*.

Thats what we need more neo-liberalist candidates in Congress like Joe Crowley.

As a liberal, I no longer want the Democratic Party controlled primarily by corporate interests in the same way they control the Republican Party. We need politicians who answer to their constituents, and not powerful vested interests simply because they funnel money into their pockets.

• LOL
Reactions: Bolivar687

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Yes because opposing corporate money in campaigns is a bad thing. *rolls eyes*.
That's obviously not what I said. Non-argument.

Thats what we need more neo-liberalist candidates in Congress like Joe Crowley.
Same as above.

As a liberal, I no longer want the Democratic Party controlled primarily by corporate interests in the same way they control the Republican Party. We need politicians who answer to their constituents, and not powerful vested interests simply because they funnel money into their pockets.
Good for you. Voting for idiots of a different kind because your pampered conscious doesn't like "corporate interests" is still inexcusable. You are buying the free-range*, organic** version of the same politicians that you voted for before.

• Fire
Reactions: Cybrwzrd

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
That's obviously not what I said. Non-argument.

Same as above.

Good for you. Voting for idiots of a different kind because your pampered conscious doesn't like "corporate interests" is still inexcusable. You are buying the free-range*, organic** version of the same politicians that you voted for before.
My point is that Justice Democrats oppose corporate money in campaigns, which is not a bad thing at all and is in fact what we should all be supporting. I personally prescribe to the idea public finiancing of campaigns and free air time.

You are mis-characterizing Justice Democrat or at the very least ignoring their stances which is why I brought up corporate finiancing of campaigns, something they oppose.

Voting for idiots and pampered conscious? Didn't you vote for Trump or at least support him? A man who lacks any semblence of leadership and instead of bringing people together, he thrives on furthering division in order to inflate his fragile ego. He goes on social media and whines like a petulant child. He thrives and bathes in egotism and amplifies hostility for his own personal gains. A man who now claims he cares about the "working man" but yet went through numerous lawsuits for unpaid wages.

Sorry I am not impressed by a man who even cut health care from his nephew at a time when his grand newphew was in the ICU due to a rare a neurological condition. Trump has never done real work in his entire life, I can guarantee he doesn't even know how to change a fucking tire.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
My point is that Justice Democrats oppose corporate money in campaigns, which is not a bad thing at all and is in fact what we should all be supporting. I personally prescribe to the idea public finiancing of campaigns and free air time.

You are mis-characterizing Justice Democrat or at the very least ignoring their stances which is why I brought up corporate finiancing of campaigns, something they oppose.

Voting for idiots and pampered conscious? Didn't you vote for Trump or at least support him? A man who lacks any semblence of leadership and instead of bringing people together, he thrives on furthering division in order to inflate his fragile ego. He goes on social media and whines like a petulant child. He thrives and bathes in egotism and amplifies hostility for his own personal gains. A man who now claims he cares about the "working man" but yet went through numerous lawsuits for unpaid wages.

Sorry I am not impressed by a man who even cut health care from his nephew at a time when his grand newphew was in the ICU due to a rare a neurological condition. Trump has never done real work in his entire life, I can guarantee he doesn't even know how to change a fucking tire.
So about the topic? This is okay with you then, or did you just want to express your feelings about Trump?

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Voting for Justice Democrats is like voting for Tea Party Republicans. It’s an AstroTurf Campaign, and in their case they are fueled by Soros and his globalistic ideals and greed for easy money.

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
Voting for Justice Democrats is like voting for Tea Party Republicans. It’s an AstroTurf Campaign, and in their case they are fueled by Soros and his globalistic ideals and greed for easy money.
This sounds like some youtube conspiracy theory. Do you have any credible sources to back up this claim? As far as I know the Justice Democrats was a grassroots movement to push the Democratic Party to the left or in the mold of Democratic Party during FDR's tenure.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Whether I voted for Trump is immaterial (spoiler: I didn't), but your defensiveness and deflection tells me that I hit home.

Look, you can bend your morals for people who fight against Big Corp (while sourcing money through equally-specious channels) but it doesn't make them good leader or competent organizers or even moral people.

One might "oppose corporate money" while still choosing to call out the Justice Democrats. They don't have a patent on the idea of standing up to The Man.

This binary way of thinking is why the Democrats are on the run with their tails between their legs. They aren't producing the sharpest thinkers among their constituents. You're great at deflecting and blaming Orange Man, I'll give ya that.

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
So about the topic? This is okay with you then, or did you just want to express your feelings about Trump?
I disagree with Rep. Tliab. She should not go around spreading false information and historical fallacies. She is only hurting herself and bringing unwanted negative attention to any causes she supports.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
This sounds like some youtube conspiracy theory. Do you have any credible sources to back up this claim? As far as I know the Justice Democrats was a grassroots movement to push the Democratic Party to the left or in the mold of Democratic Party during FDR's tenure.
Do you consider the Young Turks grassroots? Because JD is basically an offshoot of the YT along with some Bernie people and Chackrabatis millions.

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
Whether I voted for Trump is immaterial (spoiler: I didn't), but your defensiveness and deflection tells me that I hit home.

Look, you can bend your morals for people who fight against Big Corp (while sourcing money through equally-specious channels) but it doesn't make them good leader or competent organizers or even moral people.

One might "oppose corporate money" while still choosing to call out the Justice Democrats. They don't have a patent on the idea of standing up to The Man.

This binary way of thinking is why the Democrats are on the run with their tails between their legs. They aren't producing the sharpest thinkers among their constituents. You're great at deflecting and blaming Orange Man, I'll give ya that.
I never rally around a politician nor agree with them 100% on anything. But I do agree with the Justice Democrats on some positions. One of those being overturning Citizens United and getting the corruption or at least the influence of money to corrupt, out of politics. I know its idealistic, but I can still believe its the right thing to do.

Whether Democrats are producing brighter minds amongst their constituents is a matter of perspecitive and whether you agree with their positions, as bias obviously plays a part. I could make the same case for Republicans.

Also, I dont call him Orange Man, imbecilic juvenile asshole is a more accurate description.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

Define credible source? If it is from a right leaning source would you believe it? I am certain that Tea Partiers wouldn’t have believed they were being hoodwinked by the Koch bros when they were 3 glasses deep into the kool-aide that the Tea Party was peddling as well.

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
Define credible source? If it is from a right leaning source would you believe it? I am certain that Tea Partiers wouldn’t have believed they were being hoodwinked by the Koch bros when they were 3 glasses deep into the kool-aide that the Tea Party was peddling as well.
The sources about The Tea Party being co-opted by Americans for Prosperity (KOCH Front Group)are well known and credible. If what you claim is true it should be easily accessible and not from hoax or conspiracy sights like infowars or Breitbart

Fact of the matter is there is no corporate interests to support policies like Medicare For All or to take dirty money out of politics. The libertarian goals of the Tea Party were a farce to further deregulate and to privatize in order to consolidate more wealth and power for a few powerful vested interests.

The policies espoused by left leaning groups like the Justice Democrats get in the way of such goals of multi-national and transnational corporate interests. So why would they support it, when it interfers with their self interests.

Take into account a lot of corporate and establishment media go out of their way to scrutinize Senator Sanders. Washington Post had 4 hit pieces articles in less than 24 hours after he announced his candidacy. Their coverage of former VP Joe Biden has been much more favorable in comparison. It does not take much to figure out why that is. The corporate power structure does not want a Left Wing candidate in the Oval Office who will not fall in line with the directive of Wall St and powerful controlling industries such as Military, Pharmaceutical, Oil & Gas, Mining, Insurance, Telecoms, and Chemical, etc.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
The sources by Tea Party being co-opted by Americans for Prosperity are well known and credible. If what you claim is true it should be easily accessible and not from hoax or conspiracy sights like infowars or Breitbart.
Considering Open Society is one of the least open foundations out there to track, it takes digging to figure out exactly where the money is going. The thing is, many of the founders of Justice Democrats have ties that go back to Soros funded ventures, like Cenk Uygur of TYT.

You also have to remember that mainstream media outlets tend to be left leaning, and wouldn’t dare draw the ire of Media Matters et al.

Hell, I’m a Sanders fan myself, but he has changed since ‘16, and I’d rather see Gabbard or Yang get the nom. But keep those Justice Dems away from my ballot, I’ll vote against them.

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
Considering Open Society is one of the least open foundations out there to track, it takes digging to figure out exactly where the money is going. The thing is, many of the founders of Justice Democrats have ties that go back to Soros funded ventures, like Cenk Uygur of TYT.

You also have to remember that mainstream media outlets tend to be left leaning, and wouldn’t dare draw the ire of Media Matters et al.

Hell, I’m a Sanders fan myself, but he has changed since ‘16, and I’d rather see Gabbard or Yang get the nom. But keep those Justice Dems away from my ballot, I’ll vote against them.
Oh you already responded. I was gonna add if you can provide credible sources that prove the Justice Democrats are a fraud. That they only pretend to support causes or policies that I support or believe in order to simply gain power, with no intention of implementing said policies, then I will certainly cast suspicion and doubt on them and change my opinion.

How has Sanders changed? Maybe you have changed? Either way I am still supporting him for the nomination.

George Soros is a philanthropist and I do not share this conspiracy that he is trying to take over the world or whatever BS Alex Jones peddles. He donates or gives money to causes or organizations because he agrees with what they are doing. It does not necessarily mean they are being controlled by him or pushing some underhanded agenda. I need some form of evidence that supports this idea that these groups are some kind of cabal that Soros operates from the shadows. Either way, even if that’s the case, from what I have read so far, your link shows no direct connection to Justice Democrats. But I will look at it more later when I have the time.

The difference with say Soros or the Koch brothers are that the Koch brothers operate chemical manufacturing companies that would benefit from deregulation which libertarian idealogy supports do to it being an idealogy of less government. Whether they truly prescribe to the idealogy of libertarianism for idealogical reasons or to use it to further their consolidation of power is something I will let people decide on their own. But I believe they use it to further their personal goals of
maximizing profits.

The establishment media may suggest they are left leaning, it is socially though not economic or at least provide the idea they are for social progress. But still accept advertising dollars from less socially responsible corporations. They routinely scrutinize Single Payer Healthcare and many other publically funded systems. But yet when the U.S. invades or bombs a sovereign nation the establishment media is the first to cover it without even questioning the need to intervene or go into full scale conflict. They act like state run media and provide no voice to people who question the validity or need for conflict. I would hardly call any of these actions left wing.

Noam Chomsky use to routinely discuss this. Saying they are institutions built on power and dominance and any idea is purely rhetorical and serves the notion of gaining leverage in the mind of the consumer. Because to the so called left leaning media, activism or support for social causes should be predicated around consumption not altruism or promoting true ideals of social change but built around the existing structures and paradigms or to say you can advocate for this, but only in the way that is the least disruptive and still advances the underlining systems of control and hedgemony.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

chaos789

Nov 21, 2012
Supports George Soros
Cries that the Koch Bros are underhanded

Mental gymnastics
I only said I do not believe these conspiracy theories in regards to Soros or at least need some evidence.
I never said anything about support. You are making false assumptions.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I only said I do not believe these conspiracy theories in regards to Soros or at least need some evidence.
I never said anything about support. You are making false assumptions.
George Soros is a philanthropist and I do not share this conspiracy that he is trying to take over the world or whatever BS Alex Jones peddles. He donates or gives money to causes or organizations because he agrees with what they are doing. It does not necessarily mean they are being controlled by him or pushing some underhanded agenda. I need some form of evidence that supports this idea that these groups are some kind of cabal that Soros operates from the shadows. Either way, even if that’s the case, from what I have read so far, your link shows no direct connection to Justice Democrats. But I will look at it more later when I have the time.
Yeah, sounds like you don't support him at all.

Reactions: Cybrwzrd

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
Oh you already responded. I was gonna add if you can provide credible sources that prove the Justice Democrats are a fraud. That they only pretend to support causes or policies that I support or believe in order to simply gain power, with no intention of implementing said policies, then I will certainly cast suspicion and doubt on them and change my opinion.

How has Sanders changed? Maybe you have changed? Either way I am still supporting him for the nomination.

The difference with say Soros or the Koch brothers are that the Koch brothers operate chemical manufacturing companies that would benefit from deregulation which libertarian idealogy supports do to it being an idealogy of less government. Whether they truly prescribe to the idealogy of libertarianism for idealogical reasons or to use it to further their consolidation of power is something I will let people decide on their own. But I believe they use it to further their personal goals of
maximizing profits.

The establishment media may suggest they are left leaning, it is socially though not economic or at least provide the idea they are for social progress. But still accept advertising dollars from less socially responsible corporations. They routinely scrutinize Single Payer Healthcare and many other publically funded systems. But yet when the U.S. invades or bombs a sovereign nation the establishment media is the first to cover it without even questioning the need to intervene or go into full scale conflict. They act like state run media and provide no voice to people who question the validity or need for conflict. I would hardly call any of these actions left wing.

Noam Chomsky use to routinely discuss this. Saying they are institutions built on power and dominance and any idea is purely rhetorical and serves the notion of gaining leverage in the mind of the consumer. Because to the so called left leaning media, activism or support for social causes should be predicated around consumption not altruism or promoting true ideals of social change but built around the existing structures and paradigms or to say you can advocate for this, but only in the way that is the least disruptive and still advances the underlining systems of control and hedgemony.
Soros famously helped to crash the Pound to reap a billion dollar windfall.

The dude isn’t one of the good guys, he is in this for personal gain. Destabilizing the US is in his best interest, since he is essentially a vulture capitalist.

He also has enough money to keep his movements dark.

Just remember, Soros is behind this.

And as to why I have lost faith in Bernie? He has become an intersectionalist. Or maybe he has become more vocal about it. That wasn’t his schtick back in ‘16.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
There are a few instances where context doesnt matter, one of them is when you say "There’s always kind of a calming feeling, I tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust"
If you're going to quote her, quote the full thing and not stitched together lies!

TLAIB: “There’s, you know, there’s a kind of a calming feeling, I always tell folks, when I think of the Holocaust and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence, in many ways, had been wiped out. . . . I mean, just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time."

You can watch the interview here...

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Soros is an corporate, establishment Democrat... What would he want to do with Justice Democrats? The people that want to get money out of politics? The ones who ran candidates that didn't take PAC money or corporate money?

IMO, Soros and the Koch brothers are two sides of the same Boogeyman coin: people think they're the literal illuminati.

Reactions: MB1 and chaos789

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Himmler sent al-Husseini a letter in 1943 declaring that the "National-Socialist movement of greater Germany has made its fight against world Jewry a guiding principle since its very beginning." Himmler added, "For that reason it has been closely following the battle of freedom-seeking Arabs—and especially in Palestine—against the Jewish invaders" and sent the Palestinian leader his "warm wishes for the continuation of your battle until the big victory."

In his memoir, Haj Amin al-Husseini noted how the Nazis during the latter stages of the war “had put at our disposal four light, four-engine airplanes for the transportation of war materiel to Palestine, to be stored in secret shelters, for the training of Palestinian fighters and for their preparation for the battles to follow.” The “war materiel” included “tens of thousands of rifles, machine guns and light weapons and great quantities of equipment and ammunition.”
Palestinans and Nazi's working together to create a safe haven for those Jews.