• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU (Before & After E3 demo) MAJOR differences!

v1oz

I still think the AI is one of the best in the business. Very convincing. This comparison notwithstanding.

One of the most memorable moments for me was when some dude came around the corner, spotted me, noticed I had a gun and he immediately went "Oh shit, he's got a gun!" and he dodged away instead of charging at me.
Even Goldeneye 007 N64 did that. The AI would scream "he's got a gun" and do a runner. They'd even pretend to be dead or hide from you.

zma1013

Even Goldeneye 007 N64 did that. The AI would scream "he's got a gun" and do a runner. They'd even pretend to be dead or hide from you.

Umm, no. No they wouldn't. The enemies didn't even speak in Goldeneye 64 nor did they ever pretend to be dead.

What are you asking about? Drawers are searchable all the way throughout the game. Have you even played it?

I'm referring to the enemy AI. In the PAX demo, you can see enemies are able to search through drawers.

"Immersion breaking" has to be to most overused phrase in gaming today. "I stab a guy five feet away and his buddy doesn't hear it?! Ruins the game for me" "My AI partner walks in front of a Clicker. UGH" It's fine to notice it, it's hard not to, but people make it sound like it renders all else the game does right moot.

Then why not complain you can't grab every.single.little.bit of rubble/trash/furniture/whatever to smash the fuck outta some guy? Why can't I pick up shards of my broken bottle to stab a dude? Why can't Joel just jump the fence instead of boosting Ellie over? Why don't they just *not* go into the city where shit has gone wrong each and every time? Why can Joel get shot and still fight back? Why can Joel get hit with a pipe, in the face, and not be dead or crippled? Why can I use health kits to magically heal myself? Where does he get the can to make the nail bomb each time?

Everything in a game is "immersion breaking" when you nitpick it to death.

I think you're taking this to the extreme. I'm not suggesting they replicate a virtual world. I'm suggesting they stick to what they already have shown: The E3/PAX demo. It's there, it's already enough to convince us. All I'm suggesting is that they should've kept those feature at least as an option on a higher difficulty settings. Hitman: Absolution's Purist difficulty has a completely different experience compared to the standard modes as it allows you to "experiment".

So, why can't ND take the next step forward considering they've already take measures on trying to make this game different from the rest of the AAA releases this gen?

Ennemies running towards me with a 2x4 when I have a gun in my hands in pretty stupid. Especially since the post apocalyptic world ND created is really we done the ennemies acting like brainless VG ennemies is pretty jarring. I expected more "human" reactions from the AI.

Exactly, the video has enemies attacking you when it made perfect sense. Even if it's "scripted", at least they immediately reacted when you pulled off your gun. If I were to compare the AI from E3/Pax demo compared to the final release, the former is a 10 and the latter is around an 7 or 8. I want the 10!

Stillmatic

jett1911 said:
Ennemies running towards me with a 2x4 when I have a gun in my hands in pretty stupid. Especially since the post apocalyptic world ND created is really we done the ennemies acting like brainless VG ennemies is pretty jarring. I expected more "human" reactions from the AI.

Exactly, the video has enemies attacking you when it made perfect sense. Even if it's "scripted", at least they immediately reacted when you pulled off your gun. If I were to compare the AI from E3/Pax demo compared to the final release, the former is a 10 and the latter is around an 7 or 8. I want the 10!

Yeah this is the one aspect in the thread that I can agree with, a lot of the time no matter what weapon you're holding, or how many times you shoot them, they still stand there and then charge fearlessly. But, they are still capable of recognising you have a gun every now and then. It seems weird in this instance most of the time they don't respond, as the reactions are in the game. Maybe a bug?

From the vid I posted on the last page:
untitled1n8spq.gif

From one of my earlier playthoughs:
untitled2cgs44.gif

Yeah this is the one aspect in the thread that I can agree with, a lot of the time no matter what weapon you're holding, or how many times you shoot them, they still stand there and then charge fearlessly. But, they are still capable of recognising you have a gun every now and then. It seems weird in this instance most of the time they don't respond, as the reactions are in the game. Maybe a bug?

From the vid I posted on the last page:
http://abload.de/img/untitled1n8spq.gif

From one of my earlier playthoughs:
http://abload.de/img/untitled2cgs44.gif

Complete oposite on my runs. Most of the time they do hide, and if you fire the gun, even if you miss then they always run for cover, however if you turn around and run away yourself they do chase you to try and get you from behind.

Isn't the point that it's unpredictable? Also maybe they think Joel is bluffing? or maybe only has one bullet (etc)

To be fair, I charged more gunned enemies than enemies charged me meanwhile I had a gun, so I don't understand the complain of enemies charging sometimes when you have a gun.

They don't charge from 30 feets, when they charge is because there is a real possibility that they will hit before you aim and pull the trigger. And is pretty clear the difference when you get attacked by runners, that runs straight to you completly careless.

butman

Just played the Hotel part remembering this discussion the entire walkthrough and all i have to say that this thread is pure genius truth! Damn ND! DAMN!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the Hotel part remembering this discussion the entire walkthrough and all i have to say that this thread is pure genius truth! Damn ND! DAMN!

I hope you read more than the original post. It's been said that many of the things are dynamic and not everyone gets the same result as in the E3 demo.

If the last enemy is in the floor while you're aiming at them, they will beg for their lives and all that.

StoopKid

I hope you read more than the original post. It's been said that many of the things are dynamic and not everyone gets the same result as in the E3 demo.

If the last enemy is in the floor while you're aiming at them, they will beg for their lives and all that.

This.

"Immersion breaking" has to be to most overused phrase in gaming today. "I stab a guy five feet away and his buddy doesn't hear it?! Ruins the game for me" "My AI partner walks in front of a Clicker. UGH" It's fine to notice it, it's hard not to, but people make it sound like it renders all else the game does right moot.

Then why not complain you can't grab every.single.little.bit of rubble/trash/furniture/whatever to smash the fuck outta some guy? Why can't I pick up shards of my broken bottle to stab a dude? Why can't Joel just jump the fence instead of boosting Ellie over? Why don't they just *not* go into the city where shit has gone wrong each and every time? Why can Joel get shot and still fight back? Why can Joel get hit with a pipe, in the face, and not be dead or crippled? Why can I use health kits to magically heal myself? Where does he get the can to make the nail bomb each time?

Everything in a game is "immersion breaking" when you nitpick it to death.

Couldn't agree more, I feel like people are over thinking it. The AI in the game consistently surprises me, and I haven't even done my survivor playthrough yet. Some compromises have been made, it's not necessarily a revelation in all cases, but each fight is a pretty consistently awesome experience. Moreover, you can't really find this gameplay anywhere else.

There's another discussion in this thread besides AI and that's the value/damage that can be done by pre release hype. How many times does this board need to get burned by hype/demos/impressions etc before we just start judging these products at face value and ignoring all the bullshit that leads up to it? Games are played - until we've done that, I really feel we should set our expectations to baseline and, as best as possible, ignore the marketing nonsense until its in our hands. I media blacked out hard for this. And I fucking loved every moment of it.

Top Bottom