• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU epilogue scene shown at TLOU One Night Live

Gorillaz

I take the goodbye to E and J as the end of there story hopefully

There are so many directions they can go with the series, it's best not to tie it down with the same people like that. Can't wait for a possible new full cast in the sequel...or prequel

Pls Prequel during the infection itself and fall of government/country

Vire

I posted this in the other thread but it applies here:

Actually, you know what, I loved the ending as it was and I always criticize epilogues that do this kind of fan service (Harry Potter anyone?), so I'm okay with this not being released.

I don't know if when he says a goodbye to Joel and Ellie, he means both of those characters, or just them being together as a duo.

Good point, with how much they are focusing on Ellie's character with the movie announcement I wouldn't be surprised if they decided she is going to be the main focus of the games going forward.

jakomocha

I personally wouldn't mind (and actually want) a sequel with Ellie/Joel & Ellie even though I thought the ending of TLOU was perfect as it was. I just don't want to say goodbye to those characters, guess it is selfish of me. I wish the epilogue of tonight's show was released online, I really want to see it.

Man that sounds amazing, now i feel even more envious of the people that saw it in person. But the time setting is an interesting choice it could of been anytime from a week later to years, i wonder why Neil chose to make it 4 years later.

Courage

Giving us a sequel with Ellie will just dilute the powerful storytelling of the original game.

Why the fuck clutch on one character as if ND isn't capable of delivering another cast that's just as developed?

Vire

YsWKtsh.png

DRUCKMAAAAAAANNN *shakes fist*

So, Ellie is uncomfortable, and Joel has moved on?

Makes me feel very uneasy about Joel.

This so much this. Just amplifies how amazing the ending of the main game was.

Giving us a sequel with Ellie will just dilute the powerful storytelling of the original game.

Why the fuck clutch on one character as if ND isn't capable of delivering another cast that's just as developed?

Also THIS. PLEASE Naughty Dog

jett

D-Member
I still think TLOU doesn't need a sequal. Some things are left alone

I was thinking I could be receptive to other characters in the same universe but no, TLOU should be left alone. It's not the kind of thing you milk. Just because it's a videogame doesn't mean endless sequels should be produced. If Sony does leave it alone they'll get my respects.

Jonboy

What an awesome surprise. Wish I lived closer so I could have attended.

I completely agree that the story ended perfectly and didn't want a sequel. Having it confirmed that this is the end for them has somehow left me with conflicting feelings, however.

I don't know if when he says a goodbye to Joel and Ellie, he means both of those characters, or just them being together as a duo.

He said that it's a goodbye to Joel and Ellie rather than a goodbye to Ellie from Joel. So it seems like he's saying that this is the last piece that he'll write about who/how they are after the ending.

bokkengro

Neo Member
A video of the One Night Live stream has been posted to Youtube

Edit: start at 29:50, the stuff before that is just a countdown
Edit2: the video does NOT include the epilogue scene. Sorry guys

Phreak47

It's easier to not be disappointed about a sequel when you realize these guys can (and will) make some other great thing... which might indeed be a sequel within the TLOU world. I'd hope that if they do, they leave all the current characters out, not just Joel and Ellie. I'm not really thrilled by the thought of something like "TLOU 2: Shit Tommy Did Earlier" or whatever. Totally new setting and characters? Maybe, make up some good excuse to have some new interesting enemies/infected mutations? Down for that.

Electric Boogaloo.

Really enjoyed the stream. And honestly, after this and Uncharted, I trust whatever direction ND takes from here with TLoU.

Would you really just leave the one person who's kept you safe this whole time? They've gone through so much shit together. Even if she did know he's lying, I really doubt she would leave him so soon.

I think she's as attached to him as he is to her, for better or worse.

I took the story to be about Ellie achieving self-reliance. Throughout the game the main thing she is afraid of is ending up alone, so throughout the game she has to face her fears. This is why the Winter chapter is so important, and the player control of Ellie. It showed her (and us) that she is capable of surviving on her own, and she didn't need Joel or anyone else to save her. And ultimately Joel's lie showed her that she both doesn't need or really even want to be with him anymore, despite probably understanding why he did it. The best thing for her is to go off, and be her own person (as you can see just as Ellie changes Joel, Joel also has an effect on Ellie throughout the game, as the more time she spends with him the more violent she becomes, culminating in chopping David's face to bits).

I think that is a much more poignant and satisfying conclusion than what the epilogue implied. While it sounds like a good scene on its own and a heartfelt send-off to the characters, it doesn't feel true to The Last of Us's story in my eyes. I'm glad it's just a little unofficial thing.

Amir0x

Banned
don't worry guys, I'm sure within a day some enterprising gamer geek will have gotten a few friends together to film a recreation of this scene

DNAbro

From the other thread

Couple of small little details about the last scene:

Joel was clearly trying to reconnect with Ellie, and she was brushing him off. Joel mentioned that ellie would've liked Esther, and that she even told him "one of those jokes that she likes". Even then she was still acting very distant towards him. When he breaks our into song (read my previous post for quick summary), it was written by Joel and was about everything that he and Ellie been through. And he was clearly communicating how important she is to him. After the song, Ellie is clearly more receptive towards him and asks Joel what the joke was. "What's the downside of eating a clock? It's time consuming". She laughs and tells him that's the worst joke she's ever heard. And then she strikes the guitar.

Neil mentioned the reason this scene wasn't in the game was because they could find a good way to fit it in with the ending we got. He did say that this scene was a goodbye tribute to Joel and Ellie and the four years of developing the game. Sorry for not elaborating earlier.

Also, I was thinking of donating my steel book to the winner of the photo contest, how do I go about doing that?

MitchMan241

Neo Member
I think I was in the camp that thought it would be better to let Joel and Ellie's story end, but it's still sad to think we might not see them again :(

hmmm thought I was done with last of us but I totally lapped up hearing a second hand account of a brief epilogue scene!!!

Deep story and strong characters in games...the hunger is real!

Gartooth

Sounds like a great scene, wish I could've been there to witness it.

I think that this game managed to give a completely satisfying story that doesn't need to be expanded upon. Of course given the game's success, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony forced out a sequel, Naughty Dog's own desires be damned. I just hope that whenever it happens, it gives us a new cast and perspective rather than potentially muddying the great story between Joel and Ellie.

Amir0x

Banned
Sounds like a great scene, wish I could've been there to witness it.

I think that this game managed to give a completely satisfying story that doesn't need to be expanded upon. Of course given the game's success, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony forced out a sequel, Naughty Dog's own desires be damned. I just hope that whenever it happens, it gives us a new cast and perspective rather than potentially muddying the great story between Joel and Ellie.

it is going to get a sequel

just not necessarily with Joel and Ellie

NEO0MJ said:
While we might have seen the last of Them (heh), that doesn't mean that others characters might now return, such as Bill.

That wouldn't bother me, as long as they don't allude to what happened to Joel and Ellie in dialogue either.

Gartooth

it is going to get a sequel

just not necessarily with Joel and Ellie

Just like God of War is going to get a sequel without Kratos? Not saying it will or won't happen, but I wouldn't be so quick to deny it as a possibility given that the game was a huge success.

NEO0MJ

Just like God of War is going to get a sequel without Kratos? Not saying it will or won't happen, but I wouldn't be so quick to deny it as a possibility given that the game was a huge success.

I think Sony wants to keep Duckman on the team. He's their game studio Golden Boy, after all.

Amir0x

Banned

A sequel that doesn't have Joel and Ellie would still be a sequel. And Kratos story was always intended for more games, Last of Us was not.

That said, I still don't discount that they might be unable to resist the urge to use Joel and Ellie after all. I just hope they won't, and I hope Neil's comment that they are leaving them to rest is reliable.

I hope the sequel sheds some light on their life though through narrative. I loved the amount of detail of other characters in TLOU and how their lives were affected and ended via narrative, items, collectibles and more.

I don't really want to know anything more about Joel or Ellie personally.

Crayolan

If this means TLOU2 won't feature Joel or Ellie, then I'm thrilled. TLOU2 could be great if it explored different characters in the same universe.

Musolf815

I take the goodbye to E and J as the end of there story hopefully

There are so many directions they can go with the series, it's best not to tie it down with the same people like that. Can't wait for a possible new full cast in the sequel...or prequel

Pls Prequel during the infection itself and fall of government/country

I'd honestly be really okay with TLOU2 or whatever it ends up being called having new characters or taking place in a different time period would be ideal for me for this exact reason. I'm sure Sony would like the series to have some longetivity too.

NEO0MJ

If this means TLOU2 won't feature Joel or Ellie, then I'm thrilled. TLOU2 could be great if it explored different characters in the same universe.

I wonder what they can do with a sequel that doesn't focus on Joel and Ellie, I feel that a lot of potential themes were already explored with the original.

StuBurns

Banned
Joel and Ellie should be done. If Sony would demand a sequel or not, and I don't believe they would, they'd never require Joel and Ellie to return, and I hope Druckley decide to move on and highlight new characters.

The films people cite as being like the game, No Country, The Road, Children of Men, they all end abruptly and saw no continuation, nor should this.

The IP is meaningless, a sequel can mean anything from starting seconds after the last game to being completely and utterly unrelated in every way.

Top Bottom