• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLoU Remasted Pre-PS5 patch destroys loading screens on PS4

BrentonB

I’m pretty interested on finding out about the technology used for this. It would be amazing if we get this on PC, also.

Does anyone know what is being used or is this a secret, so far?

I think they're showing off what their next gen compression algorithms can do on current gen and saying, 'You like this, wait until you see it on the PS5!'

onesvenus

I think they're showing off what their next gen compression algorithms can do on current gen and saying, 'You like this, wait until you see it on the PS5!'
As someone posted, new compression algorithms would imply new compressed assets to be delivered and patches are really small to have those.
Hope we can read about this sometime.

clintar

It can't be using next gen compression algorithms because the whole thing would have to be decompressed using the new algorithm, meaning the whole thing would need to be downloaded again in the new format or recompressed into the new format which would take forever. I wonder if it's more like using style kind of direct to gpu transfer and then using the gpu to decompress instead of the built in decompression hardware, or maybe a combination of those and cpu decompression at the same time. Or maybe some games have some memory not being used that they can pre-decompress some if the next level in the background into... Maybe way off...

Allandor

Well, it was originally a PS3 game. I would just assume that the loading system was ported from the PS3 and did not take advantage of the better HDD (vs. disc) and maybe better decompression performance. E.g. I would assume that there was still code in it that worked good on the cell CPU but not that good on jaguar cores.
Loading times were never important for porting games. More or less one time loading times at least. So the 1:30 was good enough to release the game.

Btw, I never understood why games load so long to reach the main menu of a game. Yes they might preload some stuff, but really don't makes much sense if they have still long loading time when starting a new game or loading a save state.
Just like the "press a button" to enter the main menu or only to proceed to the next loading screen before the main menu (e.g. if I remember correctly FF XV and witcher 3 do that).

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
This right here is a gamechanger......Can't wait for the PS5 BC video, most probably on the 6th of November...Should be riotously good......

ZywyPL

Banned
Btw, I never understood why games load so long to reach the main menu of a game. Yes they might preload some stuff, but really don't makes much sense if they have still long loading time when starting a new game or loading a save state.
Just like the "press a button" to enter the main menu or only to proceed to the next loading screen before the main menu (e.g. if I remember correctly FF XV and witcher 3 do that).

The entire game engine needs to boot first before it starts loading and processing the data, that's what takes the time.

sn0man

Serious question: if Sony is leveraging something like the compute power to decompress and load games faster on PS4, did they waste (waste is a harsh word, inefficiently allocate maybe) IO power on PS5 that could have gone to graphics power?

sn0man

No, and nobody should take this bait.
Wasn't trying to come up with bait. I was just thinking if this amazing speed up in loading is capable without dedicated IO power then maybe it wasn't the best use of that die space. Then again, but taking the die space, Sony is setting a floor on loading performance, and all games should be able to take advantage of good loading. It's early days and we still haven't seen PS5 performance loading and switching titles.

Top Bottom