• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU: Remastered pre-orders "looking strong"; getting extensive marketing campaign

DevilFox

cFh0oT5.png

Almost there.. come on Dogs..

iUysQ4R.png

I'm going to spam this face at every screen they'll release, thanks Ricky_R!

I got beta access by pre-ordering and then cancelling through Amazon.

7 days left. I'm pretty excited to see what all the fuss is about.

I did the same as well and then after the Alpha I went ahead and pre-ordered on PSN anyways because I loved it so much.

My reason for doing it is the preload option. I HATE going to midnight releases and being able to have it preloaded just makes it so easy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I believe JLeak mentioned that review copies were going out earlier than expected so there should be lots of reviews/comparisons before or right at launch.

Alex840

Banned
I got beta access by pre-ordering and then cancelling through Amazon.

7 days left. I'm pretty excited to see what all the fuss is about.

Just did the same and pre-ordered/cancelled. Didn't realise you could do that. I just assumed Activision would have some sort of preventative measure to stop that.

I did the same as well and then after the Alpha I went ahead and pre-ordered on PSN anyways because I loved it so much.

My reason for doing it is the preload option. I HATE going to midnight releases and being able to have it preloaded just makes it so easy.

Yeah, I won't deny that's a big positive for digital pre-ordering. I guess I just can't look past how much more games tend to cost digitally compared to retail. If they were more competitive, I'd probably be more open and accepting of going digital...

Just did the same and pre-ordered/cancelled. Didn't realise you could do that. I just assumed Activision would have some sort of preventative measure to stop that.

Beta access through pre-orders rarely have any preventative measures to stop abuse. I don't want to say 100% that it hasn't happened before though, I vaguely remember one such pre-order beta that locked in orders if the code was redeemed, but I might be mistaken.

Salex_

I'm speaking about single player only as I really tried to stay with this game but it was a struggle right to the end as the gameplay was so repetitive and not very interesting. I know that people out there think this is the best game in the world and they will point out that there are so many ways to kill the monsters, etc but at the end of the day all you're doing is stealth killing these creatures (how many times can I throw a damn brick, bottle, fill in the blank item and then run to beat the enemy over the head) and if you stripped away everything else but literally just the gameplay, I think you would have a much weaker game on your hands. That being said, games aren't evaluated on gameplay alone which is why I still think this game is great but when people say presentation great, gameplay even better, I have no idea what game they're playing.

I actually might pick up this remastered version just to try out the MP, which I didn't do on my first play through as i quickly sold it on ebay after being so burned out by the gameplay. Since MP should remove some of the concerns I have with it (as you're fighting real people), I might need to give it a try as I really did love a lot about this game. Def not paying 50 for it though. Wait until it's 30 which will likely be in a few months - def black friday deal.
I know that people out there think this is the best game in the world and they will point out that there are so many ways to kill the monsters, etc
When it comes to what makes gameplay good, having multiple of ways to deal with a situation is near the top of the pyramid.
at the end of the day all you're doing is stealth killing these creatures
This sounds like a weird complaint to me. You can make a comment like that with pretty much every game.

DMC "at the end of the day all you're doing is killing monsters with flashy moves"
fighting games "at the end of the day all you're doing is getting their lifebars to 0"
FPS "at the end of the day all you're doing is killing people in first person"

You can't ignore all of the mechanics and options that make up the gameplay.

Can you give me a real explanation on why the gameplay is meh?
-------------
I reallllly don't understand why it's so hard for people to present real arguments with some real descriptions on why the gameplay is meh/bad/poor for this game. It's not hard to see some good presented posts explaining what's wrong with the gameplay for a lot of other games.

I have a problem with Injustice's gameplay, I can explain why I think the game is flawed. Why is it almost impossible to find people who can do this about this game?

AmuroChan

Sony wouldn't have had ND port this game themselves if they think it's going to sell that poorly. The pay roll at ND is a lot higher than what they would have to pay someone else to port the game, have to imagine it would have to move more units than that just to turn a profit for them, especially if they go heavy with the marketing.

But ND is already under Sony's payroll. They're getting paid their salaries no matter what they're working on. Whereas contracting an outside dev is an extra expense that's not part of their operating budget.

impact

Banned
people need something to play....even if its a remake, why Tomb Raider sold well on Xbox One & PS4.

Pretty sure TR didn't sell well on either new console.

But I agree with you, I'm buying it just so my PS4 doesn't go the whole year collecting dust.

i hope they show off the ingame commentary, imo thats the most important feature on this remaster

full 1080p/60fps sexiness IQ to me is a given and i know what to expect from that but i would like to see a level with the commentary on

Yeah, I won't deny that's a big positive for digital pre-ordering. I guess I just can't look past how much more games tend to cost digitally compared to retail. If they were more competitive, I'd probably be more open and accepting of going digital...

I agree with you there. Steam sales have spoiled me in that sense. If I don't buy a game day one then I will at least wait for it to hit a price point I am comfortable with. I have grown so accustomed to digital now that I actually hate going to stores, lol.

Up until midway through last gen I was adamantly against digital as well because I liked to be able to trade games in for new games. My wife absolutely hated that though because she feels like it is a waste. Personally I disagree but I did find myself trading stuff in and then re-buying it months later because I would get an itch for it again. I started buying digital to break that cycle and it definitely worked!

I agree with you there. Steam sales have spoiled me in that sense. If I don't buy a game day one then I will at least wait for it to hit a price point I am comfortable with. I have grown so accustomed to digital now that I actually hate going to stores, lol.

Up until midway through last gen I was adamantly against digital as well because I liked to be able to trade games in for new games. My wife absolutely hated that though because she feels like it is a waste. Personally I disagree but I did find myself trading stuff in and then re-buying it months later because I would get an itch for it again. I started buying digital to break that cycle and it definitely worked!

I agree - I have games that I have *LITERALLY* traded in/re-bought 3 times because I'm so impulsive/moody.

And with pre-loading making it even more enticing for games I really want to play on minute 0, digital has really got its hooks in me. The only thing I don't like is what happens when the digital service no longer exists. If hypothetically, Sony ceases to exist and Playstation goes out of business and PSN is gone - where's your digital games?

icespide

Banned
i hope they show off the ingame commentary, imo thats the most important feature on this remaster

full 1080p/60fps sexiness IQ to me is a given and i know what to expect from that but i would like to see a level with the commentary on

I completely forgot about the in-game commentary. that's gonna be great

Squozen

I agree - I have games that I have *LITERALLY* traded in/re-bought 3 times because I'm so impulsive/moody.

And with pre-loading making it even more enticing for games I really want to play on minute 0, digital has really got its hooks in me. The only thing I don't like is what happens when the digital service no longer exists. If hypothetically, Sony ceases to exist and Playstation goes out of business and PSN is gone - where's your digital games?

Hypothetically, on your hard drive. But why worry about things that have no likelihood of happening? Sony isn't going out of business.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Pretty sure TR didn't sell well on either new console.

But I agree with you, I'm buying it just so my PS4 doesn't go the whole year collecting dust.

TR sold nearly half a million on the PS4. X1 sales are of course abysmal. I also believe most of this only tracks physical and not digital sales.

Delt31

When it comes to what makes gameplay good, having multiple of ways to deal with a situation is near the top of the pyramid.

This sounds like a weird complaint to me. You can make a comment like that with pretty much every game.

DMC "at the end of the day all you're doing is killing monsters with flashy moves"
fighting games "at the end of the day all you're doing is getting their lifebars to 0"
FPS "at the end of the day all you're doing is killing people in first person"

You can't ignore all of the mechanics and options that make up the gameplay.

Can you give me a real explanation on why the gameplay is meh?
-------------
I reallllly don't understand why it's so hard for people to present real arguments with some real descriptions on why the gameplay is meh/bad/poor for this game. It's not hard to see some good presented posts explaining what's wrong with the gameplay for a lot of other games.

I have a problem with Injustice's gameplay, I can explain why I think the game is flawed. Why is it almost impossible to find people who can do this about this game?

The problem is you’re not listening – you’re reading then defending based on your own bias. My point is that the gameplay is BORING. It becomes REPETITIVE. Why is it boring and repetitive? B/c the game puts you in the same gameplay situation (sandwiched between INCREDIBLE cut scenes, dialogue and graphics) - just in a different setting and relies on the fact that you can stealth kill in different ways as the only variety. Problem is the different ways means I can throw a brick instead of a bottle. Great.

Let me help you understand something – you will never understand why people think this game’s GAMEPLAY is just meh (which means good, not great btw). You’re so wrapped in your own bias that it will never happen. Just let it go. Just don’t forget that people think differently than you on this aspect. You might say I’m just another game but professionals feel this way as well - Jeff G from Giantbomb as one. Great part is, we all don’t need to feel the same about a game – that’s what makes things interesting, especially for a game like this.

The problem is you’re not listening – you’re reading then defending based on your own bias. My point is that the gameplay is BORING. It becomes REPETITIVE. Why is it boring and repetitive? B/c the game puts you in the same gameplay situation (sandwiched between INCREDIBLE cut scenes, dialogue and graphics) - just in a different setting and relies on the fact that you can stealth kill in different ways as the only variety. Problem is the different ways means I can throw a brick instead of a bottle. Great.

Let me help you understand something – you will never understand why people think this game’s GAMEPLAY is just meh (which means good, not great btw). You’re so wrapped in your own bias that it will never happen. Just let it go. Just don’t forget that people think differently than you on this aspect. You might say I’m just another game but professionals feel this way as well - Jeff G from Giantbomb as one. Great part is, we all don’t need to feel the same about a game – that’s what makes things interesting, especially for a game like this.

What would you suggest to add to the shooting, melee, stealth or survival mechanics, which isn't already present, to make the game not meh in your opinion?

Delt31

What would you suggest to add to the shooting, melee, stealth or survival mechanics, which isn't already present, to make the game not meh in your opinion?

I think the game leverages too much on stealth and restricts the variety as a result. If they allowed the player to kill certain enemies without doing the typical, hide throw bottle, club, etc it would open things up a bit more. Don’t get me wrong, that mechanic needs to be in there but it just feels like that’s ALL that’s available and it really impacts how fresh the game feels throughout your playtime.

I agree that can be scary but my gaming preferences change as quickly as the market. By the time these services are gone I will likely have moved on anyways. The loss of resale value really does suck though. Trading in my 360 with like 70+ digital games and getting nothing really hurt. My consolation is that if I ever decide to get another 360 I already have all those games back.

Nick

This is going to be the first game I play through again a second time after Metal Gear Solid on PSX. Needless to say I'm super excited.

Just show us some fucking in-game screens already.

Salex_

I think the game leverages too much on stealth and restricts the variety as a result. If they allowed the player to kill certain enemies without doing the typical, hide throw bottle, club, etc it would open things up a bit more. Don’t get me wrong, that mechanic needs to be in there but it just feels like that’s ALL that’s available and it really impacts how fresh the game feels throughout your playtime.
You didn't answer his question. Try again.

You say he is biased about his decision to defend the gameplay and then you condescendingly question his opinion without providing meaningful discourse outside of, "THE GAME IS BORING. IT'S BOOOORIIIINNG."

I can't believe he doesn't realize what he's doing.

Sky Chief

I preordered the Collector's Edition of the Last of Us but there was a strange strobing effect on my PS3 that made the game unplayable. So I borrowed my cousin's PS3 and played the game.

I am so excited to finally play the DLC and replay the game now.

Shredderi

I preordered the Collector's Edition of the Last of Us but there was a strange strobing effect on my PS3 that made the game unplayable. So I borrowed my cousin's PS3 and played the game.

I am so excited to finally play the DLC and replay the game now.

I haven't played the DLC either so I'm a little excited about that as well.

Wynnebeck

Banned

You say he is biased about his decision to defend the gameplay and then you condescendingly question his opinion without providing meaningful discourse outside of, "THE GAME IS BORING. IT'S BOOOORIIIINNG."

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
Game is up for pre-orders on eu psn, price is 44,99. Thats not too expensive. I'd definitely buy it for that price. I wont pick it up right away tho.

HardRojo

It never occurred to me but wouldn't it be great to have Challenge Rooms a la Arkham series? That would increase Replay Value even further.

You could have Predator rooms with Challenges and Medals just like they did in the Arkham series, amount of supplies given to you at the start of the challenge would depend on the difficulty you choose and the Medals would require you to do stuff like "Finish a challenge without using bottles/bricks" or "Lure 3 clickers with a bottle/brick and kill them with a single Molotov"

artist

Banned
TR sold 150K on the XBOne. Not really relevant here. It sold three times that on the PS4. I expect TLOU to do quite well. Probably not a million copies, but for those who missed it on the PS3 (X360 owners for example) it's a chance for them to play a visually sumptuous version of the game.
I think it'll break 1M.

The game is actually at it's best when the enemies are alerted of your presence and start actively hunting for you.

Playing the game with pure stealth actually is pretty boring since the enemy ai during this non alert phase are very simple. And the game knows this, giving you forced alert encounter sometimes even when you clear out the area with full stealth.

I cant wait to play it again in harder difficulty, more chance to mess up and alert the enemies and start the amazing cat and mouse game. It's an amazing game.

Top Bottom