• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU team originally working on a new Jak and Daxter

EGM1966

Thomas was Alone is a nice example of a platformer with nice presentation, I really felt for those quadrangles.

Not wanting to detail thread but that yeah the characterization was fantastically good given the classic 2D platformer premise.

batbeg

As much of a fan I am of the Jak franchise, I'd hope they just drop it but make a new platformer of some kind. Losing the name loses the bad image those with bad taste had of it, and prevents disappointing fans like myself that would've torched an incarnation like what I see in that OP. But just make a fucking platformer again, please!

jimi_dini

The first Jak and Daxter was heavily influenced by games like Mario 64, and was quite twee and colourful in relation to Jak II. Mario Sunshine, a game in the traditional twee style, performed below expectations - did that have any impact on the direction you were taking Jak II in?

Rubin: It definitely redoubled my belief that you have to push the genre forward, because when I put that game in and expected Miyamoto greatness, and the characters came out saying: "Bloop! Bloop! Bloop!" I was like, that is 1997. I don't need that in 2003.

Give me a character with a voice and a personality, and more of a cinematic experience. Don't give me Mario from 15 years ago. They just haven't moved on; that's not their focus. I think its very hard for Miyamoto to both run Nintendo - which he does to a certain extent - and get into the game design.

This right here made me lose all respect I had for Jason Rubin.

Right, Jason. If only Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 would have been more cinematic, that would have made it a great game. What a stupid thing to say. smh

If I wanted a cinematic experience, I would just watch a movie. How many times have I replayed Uncharted games. Zero times. How many times have I replayed Super Mario Galaxy 1+2? Jason, you don't want to know.

Top Bottom