• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU2 Haters and Detractors are review-bombing Metacritic. The Salt rises!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I stopped in "you dont need to play the game" no Thanks
People don't need to play game anymore to tell the game is good or not anymore?
I think you people owe Kotaku an apology then.
[/QUOTE]

If the story is all the game has to offer, and the story is bad, then it's legit to criticize it for exactly that whether you've played it or not.

If the story is all the game has to offer, and the story is bad, then it's legit to criticize it for exactly that whether you've played it or not.
[/QUOTE]
You should play the game too. It's great! :messenger_winking:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There you go again. "She said it, so it simply must be true"

Again, you're just taking her at face value & assuming it's true, completely ignoring any & all reasons that point to her word being even a touch unreliable. It's pointless, as I said. Her words are not definitive, absolute proof of anything.

Are you completely unaware of the concept of people convincing themselves of something in order to justify their unjustifiable actions? Like, does this just fly straight over your head? Do you always believe what that you hear, simply because the person saying it has a modicum of authority? You blow my mind.

You're telling me what a fictional character is doing.

I'm not here for theories, I'm here to debate what the characters said in the game, which can only be interpreted one way.

The_Mike

You should play the game too. It's great! :messenger_winking:
[/QUOTE]

I playes the first one. Great story, mediocre gameplay. Since the second one has a bad story, then I'm not really into playing the sequel.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

If it were devoid of gameplay, it is not, maybe... if the story is also not told via gameplay and how each player also progresses... maybe... if it is saltiness because it is not an exclusive to your platform (notice the reduction in hate thrown Hello Game A’s way after they went multiplatform... mmh suddenly not a scam anymore eh ;)?)... nope.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I playes the first one. Great story, mediocre gameplay. Since the second one has a bad story, then I'm not really into playing the sequel.

What if I told you the story is even better in Part 2?

Then I'd say stop being a fanboy. I've seen the playthrough. It's shit.

theclaw135

Banned

[/QUOTE]

Whether or not it's a bad story is beside the point. The game is triggering people uncomfortable with the subject matter.

Geki-D

Banned
There you go again. "She said it, so it simply must be true"

Again, you're just taking her at face value & assuming it's true, completely ignoring any & all reasons that point to her word being even a touch unreliable. It's pointless, as I said. Her words are not definitive, absolute proof of anything.

Are you completely unaware of the concept of people convincing themselves of something in order to justify their unjustifiable actions? Like, does this just fly straight over your head? Do you always believe what that you hear, simply because the person saying it has a modicum of authority? You blow my mind.
I gave up in the OT because I saw that you were totally unreasonable on this, but I do have to ask... You realise that your method for arguing this is to just state a theory, present how you feel about it then do nothing but repeatedly shout "HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE IT?!" in the face of counter arguments and actual quotes and evidence from the games? I mean, you surely can see that besides being your personal belief, you have no actual proof of what you're putting forward that isn't just fan theory and conjecture?

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
You're telling me what a fictional character is doing.

I'm not here for theories, I'm here to debate what the characters said in the game, which can only be interpreted one way.

Yes, Marlene is a fictional character. That's interesting information. Thank you for pointing that out :messenger_dizzy:

Her words can not "only be interpreted one way". That way of thinking is complete nonsense & is the exact problem with your opinion. Good lord.

But whatever. There's no point continuing this. You just keep living in your world of unicorns & rainbows, where people never have any reasons for being untruthful either to themselves or others. I'm sure it's a lovely place to be. Have fun.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, you surely can see that besides being your personal belief, you have no actual proof of what you're putting forward that isn't just fan theory and conjecture?

No, I surely can't see that. Everything I've said about this topic is based on the actual events of, & all information found in, the game.

You can keep dismissing my words as fan theory if you want. Have at it. You're not convincing me of anything.

Ixiah

Banned
Wow...this is shaping up to be the Video Game version of Last Jedi.
A dumbass story, written by an moron and the People who should be offended by the shit the game throws into their Faces, instead defend it, with the shit still on their Skin....
You know what, you deserve it, i mean if that´s how you react to bad quality, why should Games and Movies change ?
You swallow everything, as long as it is "Progressive"

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Everything I've said about this topic is based on the actual events of, & all information found in, the game.
Yes, and everything is based off 7 years of fan theory, analysis and hindsight (and much of that is very debatable) rather than the split second decision Joel took as he was sitting on the floor of that room based off what he had been told, how he felt and how it sets the tone of the ending. I'm guessing your next complaint will be that when we're in Joel's house in the sequel we should have been able to check his browser history and see his posts on TLOU Reddit debating whether a cure would have been really possible.
You're not convincing me of anything.
I'm well aware. It's just so strange you've got this religious-like belief in a fan theory.

Jon Neu

Banned
The outrage happened after a few cutscenes were leaked. They didn't even know the story outside of a few fake 4chan leaks.

I understand the outrage. Many people complaining don't even know the full story, they just saw a few cutscenes.

They literally saw the scene and they saw who you play for half of the game.

That’s already enough information.

pLow7

The funny thing is that Cuckmann does both.

He goes in an edgy rampage of suvberting expectations while at the same time pandering so hard with his political agenda.

The problem is that the quality of the script and the characters are atrociously bad, they are good for Cuckmann because those characters make his SJW heart beat with joy, but anybody who doesn’t feel crazy joy at the mere existance of a little trans child in a videogame isn’t going to like this crappy pandering characters.

Man you Sound Like a fuckin virgin writing "cuckman" everytime. Like seriously, are you twelve? That's cringe af

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, and everything is based off 7 years of fan theory, analysis and hindsight (and much of that is very debatable) rather than the split second decision Joel took as he was sitting on the floor of that room based off what he had been told, how he felt and how it sets the tone of the ending. I'm guessing your next complaint will be that when we're in Joel's house in the sequel we should have been able to check his browser history and see his posts on TLOU Reddit debating whether a cure would have been really possible.

I'm well aware. It's just so strange you've got this religious-like belief in a fan theory.

This is exactly how I felt the first time I played the game. I've played it again more than once over the years & my opinion hasn't changed.

Simply put. Based on the events of the game & the information therein, the cure, or vaccine, was never a guaranteed thing & even if it was (which it wasn't) then Joel was right to save Ellie anyway.

Those things are indisputable to me. There are other things that can be debated until the cows come home, but those things are so clear that yes, I do wonder how some people can't see it.

Herr Edgy

TLOU2’s narrative, if anything, to me felt like a critique of the very idea of identity politics.

Case in point:
You’re led to believe those in the Jackson settlement are “the good guys” and the WLF are “the bad guys” because some of them killed Joel...only for the game to have you later explore the WLF from inside and realize how similar the two groups of people are. Jackson perceives Joel’s death as murder, WLF perceives Joel’s death as justice. The point is that both sides think they’re ”in the right” when objectively, neither one is.

The above point is further proven when Abby’s lack of fulfillment from her vengeance on Joel leads her to care for two Seraphites, the third faction in this triangular rivalry. Abby, the WLF’s top Seraphite killer, stops seeing them as enemies, partly because her lover (Owen) does and partly because one (Lev) saves her life. Although Abby & Lev feel compelled by their identity politics to feel apprehensive towards each other, eventually they learn that individual relationships matter more than faction loyalty.

To bring this point home even further, Ellie fails to learn this lesson. She decides her allegiance to Jackson is more important than her individual relationships, and as a result ends up losing all of them, including the one piece of her left that connected her to Joel (her ability to play the guitar the way he taught her).

I don’t see how identity politics ruin a game that is basically teaching us to leave them behind.
You would be right if this is how people thought about it. It's just another generic "bad guys not so bad" and "good guys not so good" plot.
It's not teaching us jackshit, because it's not explicit about it. People typically agree with the message of these stories, only to go rant about people different than them the next day on twitter, facebook or in private circles. If all those moral stories that are so ever-present and have been for the last decades would help, we wouldn't be where we are today.
Heck, Neil Druckmann created his story, and do his opinions seem nuanced, seing the individual before political association? Not to me, but to be fair I don't actively follow him either, so my view on him might be biased through the information I receive.

Honestly, I'm a bit angry right now due to sort-of related reasons.
In Germany, there is no systemic police violence. We barely have any deaths due to police shootings, ever. Yet last night in Stuttgart there was rioting and looting going on, due to police doing a drug search among partying people or something like that and people getting angry and unifying 'against the police'. Apparently a couple hundred people went against the police, started looting, destroying shops. We never had anything like this. And now we do. Why? Because they just follow the latest social media trend that is coming from the USA. We are getting more and more divided because people are too stupid to realize their stupid trend-chasing hurts only themselves and their cause. People don't care about improving situations, they just want to destroy. Sorry for going offtopic, but I don't know where elsewhere to do this.

RedVIper

Banned
The most likely scenario? Prove it based on the dialog of the first game.

You have a half baked team of doctors with extremely limited supplies and technology that have one try to find a vaccine, the odds of success are abysmal to put it lightly.

I don't need "dialog" to understand that the odds of success in this situation are virtually 0. It was a hail mary attempt, and we can argue it was worth trying even if it meant ellie died, but you acting (and everyone in TLOU2 btw) like it was a guaranteed cure and Joel doomed humanity is absurd.

Edit: Not to mention the plan was dumb from the get go, you have the only person who's immune, that you know of, and your first instinct is to kill her?

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Not to mention the plan was dumb from the get go, you have the only person who's immune, that you know of, and your first instinct is to kill her?
The surgeon's recording is pretty clear on this. They didn't actually need Ellie, Marlene outright states it.

Dargor

You have a half baked team of doctors with extremely limited supplies and technology that have one try to find a vaccine, the odds of success are abysmal to put it lightly.

I don't need "dialog" to understand that the odds of success in this situation are virtually 0. It was a hail mary attempt, and we can argue it was worth trying even if it meant ellie died, but you acting (and everyone in TLOU2 btw) like it was a guaranteed cure and Joel doomed humanity is absurd.

Edit: Not to mention the plan was dumb from the get go, you have the only person who's immune, that you know of, and your first instinct is to kill her?

actually, IIRC, wasn't there a tape recording saying they had tried the same thing with other immune people that ended in failure? It made it sound like there were several attempts.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
actually, IIRC, wasn't there a tape recording saying they had tried the same thing with other immune people that ended in failure? It made it sound like there were several attempts.
No. He's talking about the levels of infection in other infected and how they are the same in Ellie. Not other people who are "immune".

Wait a minute.

Apparently, you can review TLoU2's story without actually playing the game, provided you praise it. Apparently, if you simply watch a 10-hour long Reader's Digest version, that qualifies you as a genuine reviewer.

Apparently, the problem arises only if you don't like it. If you don't like it then simply watching it won't cut it.

For the record, I would never post a review of a game I hadn't played myself. But next time someone says you can't review the story just by watching a condensed summary, please direct them to this video, will you?

Last edited:

Dargor

No. He's talking about the levels of infection in other infected and how they are the same in Ellie. Not other people who are "immune".

I think you're right, searched for it and the recording is confusing, but he talked about infected people, not immune people.

Geki-D

Banned
You just said they don't need her.
tenor.gif

They don't need her, they need the cordyceps IN HER BRAIN.

Wait a minute.

Apparently, you can review TLoU2's story without actually playing the game, provided you praise it. Apparently, if you simply watch a 10-hour long Reader's Digest version, that qualifies you as a genuine reviewer.

Apparently, the problem arises only if you don't like it. If you don't like it then simply watching it won't cut it.

For the record, I would never post a review of a game I hadn't played myself. But next time someone says you can't review the story just by watching a condensed summary, please direct them to this video, will you?
He's specifically speaking of the story. Not the game as a whole.

Really, a story about cycle of revenge with plot convenience all over it, inconsistent characters, teenage love triangles and magic stitches is the greatest story in video game history? Ty god i don't watch his garbage.
You are free to explain in detail but I doubt you will.

He's specifically speaking of the story. Not the game as a whole.

Please read carefully.
I never claimed he was reviewing the game as a whole.

Apparently, there's now a consensus you can review the story if you've just watched a playthrough. That means you can be critical of one of the major components of the game even if you've just gone though a summary. And since you can also judge visuals and sound design, that now makes three major components you can have an opinion on based solely on watching playthroughs.

I suppose that's progress.

Last edited:

nowhat

Minor problem is it's not giving me surround 7.1/5.1 channel sound, only 2.0 channel although I'm using PS4-certified Astro A40 with the mixer through optical audio.
Is the audio output of your PS4 set to bitstream (Dolby or DTS)? With PCM and optical you don't get multichannel audio.

Geki-D

Banned
I feel you're just trolling me now.
Clearly you don't understand what the game actually tells us:

Tm0r0tN.jpg

You'll notice a lack of "Ellie is immune" here, instead it's the cordyceps that's mutated.

The surgeon's recording:
April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients.

We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles, we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back into control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain.
-The fungus in Ellie’s brain hasn't spread to the limbic regions but is still present
-Antigenic titers are high
-In vitro fungal cultures from Ellie’s blood grow cordyceps
-No leukocytosis
-No pro-inflammatory cytokines

This points to the cordyceps in her brain having mutated to become an inert version rather than anything Ellie's body has done. She's showing no signs of her immune system attacking it, she's still infected but it's idle.

This means that the doctors need this new strain of cordyceps to clone the mutation, see if they can cause the mutation to happen in people infected with the classic strain and more importantly create a vaccine that would, essentially, infect people with this new strain so that the classic, dangerous one can't.

But for all of this, they have no need of Ellie, just the mutated cordyceps strain.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is the audio output of your PS4 set to bitstream (Dolby or DTS)? With PCM and optical you don't get multichannel audio.

Only had this problem for the first time, all games work perfectly. But I shifted to HDMI output and used a long 3.5 aux instead and gave me 5.1 dolby.

Anyway, I beat the game, and it's wonderful. 10/10.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love that some of the zero reviews in metacritic are from people that rated games like crackdown 3 a 10/10. Actually, from people that only rate positively Xbox games.

It doesn't hurt the game. I just finished the game few minutes ago, it's cruising straight to 2020 GOTY.

nowhat

Only had this problem for the first time, all games work perfectly. But I shifted to HDMI output and used a long 3.5 aux instead and gave me 5.1 dolby.

Anyway, I beat the game, and it's wonderful. 10/10.
I recently upgraded to a LG CX + soundbar (not for this game in particular, although it may have sped up my purchase a bit) and learned something - HDMI ARC actually uses S/PDIF internally (same as optical), so PCM means two channels. Took quite a while to debug this, as the game won't allow selecting anything above 2.0 if the system output can't handle it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I recently upgraded to a LG CX + soundbar (not for this game in particular, although it may have sped up my purchase a bit) and learned something - HDMI ARC actually uses S/PDIF internally (same as optical), so PCM means two channels. Took quite a while to debug this, as the game won't allow selecting anything above 2.0 if the system output can't handle it.

I'm using the 3.5 AUX output on the TV itself. Well, I was pretty happy with the sound quality, would ditch the Astro mixer and only use the A40 headset directly to the TV. Going to PS5 I'll buy the new PlayStation Pulse 3D headset.

It's compatibility issue, never had this before. I think an update will solve it, but I'm not worried about it anyway as already beaten the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom