• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU2's player count after 45 days vs other Sony games in the same timeframe

thelastword

Banned
Why haven't they released any updated numbers after launch? Did you look at the OP?
We’re delighted to report that The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling first-party PS4 exclusive ever with more than 4 million copies sold through as of June 21. This milestone would not have been reached without the support from our amazing fans, so on behalf of everyone at SIE, thank you!

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/26/the-last-of-us-part-ii-sells-more-than-4-million-copies/

Like I said...

PS4-Money.gif

Nester99

Hard to use Data skewed by a pandemic and a new generation release in a few months.

Perhaps everyone who wanted to play it got it right away as they were stuck at home.

I have not played it yet, i have no dog in this fight. Trying to clear my backlog before the GEN ends. (Ghost was a great exception to this rule!)

EruditeHobo

TLOU 2 is the sequel to this game.

Total player count

Does this count the multiple releases, the multiplayer, and the DLC?

If the general idea is an attempt to tie total players to some sort of criticism of TLoU2's quality, it's a huge reach.
Comparing this to multiple open-world games is quite unconvincing to anyone that cares about full context... that should be obvious to anyone.

It will be interesting to see where the numbers go when multiplayer & the PS5 remaster version are released, I assume they will be lower than TLoU, but I don't know how much it matters... TLoU2 is a financial success, will maintain value for awhile yet, and whether TLoU3 happens or not certainly has nothing to do with TLoU2 sales or player totals. Both of which seem at least fairly strong.

THEAP99

Banned
cools I fisinhed it and didn’t like it, other people I know with kids and shit didn’t want to waste that time what can I say.
that's cool. but the story completion rate is quite high for a game where people say the story is trash and people returned it within the first few hours

NYR

Meh - loved TLOU2 and put in 40 hours but when I was done with it because Ghosts came out which I got a platinum on , I was done with TLOU2 and moved on. Not a sign of it being a "Bad" game, just done with it.

You forget TLOU2 multiplayer is being worked on. Which to me they are clearly waiting to announce around PS5 release.
That's like the only sales numbers we got. Not even a "we hit 5 million copies, go Abby!" tweet? Face it bro, there's a decent chance it bombed.
How it bomb? It was successful the day it came out.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
that's cool. but the story completion rate is quite high for a game where people say the story is trash and people returned it within the first few hours

cools didn’t say either of those thing but yeah. Personally I think the game should have been shuffled differently moved a few parts around so it flowed better. Like maybe start with Abby stuff so we know her before all the shit hits the fan. Also put Ellie’s flash back before the bad stuff.

also felt like I had more player agency in a telltale game, I know they want to tell a story but dam.

thelastword

Banned
You need to read OP as TLOU2 is already trailing behind Spidey and GOW, soon GOT will overtake TLOU2 as TLOU2 sales faltered right after a big launch.
Wait for the next official numbers from Sony. These other games have been out for over a year........In a time when disk sales were still quite prevalent....LOU2 will continue to sell. Disk sales will rise as more people start leaving their homes again and will spike even moreso when PS5 launches....

thelastword

Banned
That's like the only sales numbers we got. Not even a "we hit 5 million copies, go Abby!" tweet? Face it bro, there's a decent chance it bombed.
So let's get this straight. TLOU2 sold over 4 million in under two days, but since then it's struggling to sell that other million. So Sony should give sales numbers every other day or else it failed......I think Sony updating LOU2 numbers after 6 months to a year makes sense, maybe a few months after PS5 releases...

Gee, no wonder. Maybe because they're are extremelly politcal and frail bitches 24/7?

Seriously dude, being well received on Resetera means shit. For all I can guess, they're pushing fussy pussy whinnies against people who dislike(like some members in here, the usual types) instead of praise the game for its own merits.

Pushing aside the hatred for resetera, it being well received elsewhere DOES mean shit. It means there is a vastly larger audience outside of the neogaf bubble who have a different outlook on the game.

Rikoi

Pushing aside the hatred for resetera, it being well received elsewhere DOES mean shit. It means there is a vastly larger audience outside of the neogaf bubble who have a different outlook on the game.
You are taking a forum where people get constantly banned for wrongthink as a serious metric about the game acceptance.
With Era moderators even on GAF everyone would praise TLOU 2.

BlackM1st

Banned
lmao how are returning players and player retention stats worth of even 1 second of thought in a non PvP / GaaS game?

I watch the Steam top 10 every day out of interest in PvP games. I love this stuff. But single player campaign games? Who cares?
Seriously. Some ppl just can't let go. Sooner we put TLOU2 behind us, the better.

GenericUser

I watched a stream of the game. No wonder it kinda underperformed. Boring gameplay, part time walking simulator and spoon-fed woke agenda does not sound so thrilling.

Glad real games like gow sold more (on a smaller install base by the way).

So let's get this straight. TLOU2 sold over 4 million in under two days, but since then it's struggling to sell that other million. So Sony should give sales numbers every other day or else it failed......I think Sony updating LOU2 numbers after 6 months to a year makes sense, maybe a few months after PS5 releases...

Ok friend, we'll see. They will have to update that sales number eventually and then we'll see. There are red flags about the sales number being underwhelming (relative to expectations/budget, just so people don't quote me on that again).

decisions

I came away really displeased with the game, it was a story-focused game with a terrible story and gameplay that got boring waaaay before the end credits. My non-enthusiast friends who played the game didn't like it either. I wonder if the next ND game's sales will be impacted by this (unless they decide to go the safe route and make another Uncharted).

You are taking a forum where people get constantly banned for wrongthink as a serious metric about the game acceptance.
With Era moderators even on GAF everyone would praise TLOU 2.

Getting banned for wrong think has absolutely nothing to do with the example I put forth, which is that there is a vast world of gamers beyond Gaf.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
tumblr_oynarnT4Zr1rbijdfo7_500.gif

Loved GOT a lot! But to me:

1-God of War.
2-Uncharted 4.
3-Ghost of Tsushmia.
4-Horizon: Zero Dawn.
5-The Last of Us Part 2.
6-Spider-man.
Nah real gamers™ have this list:

1. inFamous: Second Son
2. Killzone: Shadow Fall
3. God of War
4. Spider-man
5. Ghost of Tsushima
6. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

idrago01

Banned
Gee, no wonder. Maybe because they're are extremelly politcal and frail bitches 24/7?

Seriously dude, being well received on Resetera means shit. For all I can guess, they're pushing fussy pussy whinnies against people who dislike(like some members in here, the usual types) instead of praise the game for its own merits.
lol being well received on resetera just means you’re f’cking nuts

Last edited:

Rikoi

Getting banned for wrong think has absolutely nothing to do with the example I put forth, which is that there is a vast world of gamers beyond Gaf.
And you said the majority actually love the game outside of here. Removing resetera, do you have any proof of this statement except your personal bias?

Last edited:

Woggleman

The game is divisive for sure but there are as many people who love it as there are that hate it. It has a near perfect five star rating on Amazon and I know many people who enjoyed it. I did and my wife did and many of my friends do. It is not like Anthem or Fallout 76 where there is an agreed upon consensus that the game is garbage. Some love it and some hate it and to me any artist worth their salt is going to create something polarizing at least once in their career. The alternative is just playing it which creates staleness.

idrago01

Banned
People here on GAF are still quoting its sales as some sort of victory and are forgetting that they were on the back of the hype of the first game, but there's been a massive drop off since. This is the type of game that could be in top 10 for like a year at least, but instead it's breaking records for the biggest drop off for a major Sony title. The franchise is seriously damaged as far as I'm concerned and people will not rush to buy the sequel (if they make one) after what happened with this game.
it’s not called the last jedi of gaming for nothing. i kinda feel bad for all the stores that got duped into preordering all these copies that they can’t sell because no one wants them

Woggleman

The funny thing is that while the fans are fighting Neil Druckmann and the head of Sucker Punch fanboy over each other on twitter.

Krisprolls

Banned
Hoping Naughty Dog will fail or sell less copies is a losing battle, don't die on this hill.

It's time to move on. The world moved on too, don't stay behind. Everybody is welcome now, everybody can make movies and games. Black people, lesbians, transgenre, muscular women.

Let it go, they're good people like you and me. We have more in common than you think. Enjoy the party.

Rikoi

Hoping Naughty Dog will fail or sell less copies is a losing battle, don't die on this hill.

It's time to move on. The world moved on too, don't stay behind. Everybody is welcome now, everybody can make movies and games. Black people, lesbians, transgenre, muscular women.

Let it go, they're good people like you and me. We have more in common than you think. Enjoy the party.
Did you just tell us to embrace the wokeness? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This has nothing to do with the hate for TLOU 2, nobody hates black/trans/muscular/lgbt people here.
Sorry but they are already failing/selling less copies than expected.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Did you just tell us to embrace the wokeness? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This has nothing to do with the hate for TLOU 2, nobody hates black/trans/muscular/lgbt people here.
Sorry but they are already failing/selling less copies than expected.

You have a link above in this very thread explaining the game broke the sales record of all time. It's hardly selling bad, unless you're distorting truth faster than a Donald Trump on steroids.

Naughty Dog are considered the very best in the industry, their games will never have bad sales, the gameplay is too good for that.

Don't lose your time and youth and energy. We're all brothers. Imagine all the people, living for today. Okay ?

Last edited:

Rikoi

You have a link above in this very thread explaining the game broke the sales record of all time. It's hardly seeling bad, unless you're distorting truth faster than a Donald Trump on steroids.
The whole point of the thread is showing how the sales dropped compared to the other Sony exclusives, that's the data only real data we got, initial sales were boosted by TLOU 1.
Naughty Dog were considered the very best in the industry,
Yes I considered them the best too, until TLOU 2.
Don't lose your time and youth and energy. We're all brothers. Imagine all the people, living for today. Okay ?
Aren't you losing your time too? After all if the game sells well there is no point in you worrying about it.

Krisprolls

Banned
Thats a bold strategy cotton

I know, but think about it, it's just a word "wokeness". It's a tag. Doesn't mean much. I'm human, you're human, black people are humans, transgenre and lesbians too.

We all want to live in peace with the people we love. Am I wrong ? That's something we have in common. Aren't we a bit the same after all ? I think so.

idrago01

Banned
I know, but think about it, it's just a word "wokeness". It's a tag. Doesn't mean much. I'm human, you're human, black people are humans, transgenre and lesbians too.

We all want to live in peace with the people we love. Am I wrong ? That's something we have in common. Aren't we a bit the same after all ? I think so.
i would like to live in a world where merit counted and people weren’t actively trying to force their beliefs into video games

Rikoi

Man, TLOU 2 is a brutal game, a story about a brutal revenge, and you enjoyed it.
Are you aware of how hypocritical and cringe this is sounding?
Pull down your angel mask, nobody is falling for it.

This makes zero sense about the thread in question.

Woggleman

Man, TLOU 2 is a brutal game, a story about a brutal revenge, and you enjoyed it.
Are you aware of how hypocritical and cringe this is sounding?
Pull down your angel mask, nobody is falling for it.

This makes zero sense about the thread in question.
You can be peaceful in real life and enjoy brutal and violent games. There is no conflict there.

Reallink

The game was exceptional mediocrity wrapped in gold foil, so I wouldn't be surprised if trailing word of mouth sales were poorer than expected. Based solely on its merits, I personally wouldn't recommend it to any friends/family. The story was so by the numbers it might as well be a TBS drama no one ever watched/heard of, and what feels like 80% of the gameplay was just walking and blindly looting environments.

Last edited:

Rikoi

You can be peaceful in real life and enjoy brutal and violent games. There is no conflict there.
I simply don't believe what he's trying to do.
Trying to play the good guy card, avoiding arguments, thinking everyone that hates the game is a bad person that hates people, how did he come up with this? It's cringy.

Top Bottom