• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT : Mutants in Manhattan delisted under a year after release

styl3s

Hopefully it means they are losing the licensing right to TMNT if Activision owns it. I know Ubisoft had the license at one point.

TMNT deserves better than the plethora of mediocre to shit games. I did want to pick this up cheap but since it's gone i will have to get a ps4 physical edition when i can get it for $10.

Zetta

It is a damn shame how bad this game is. I had such high hopes for it from the trailers I saw and with Platinum leading it I was excited. I will say though that once it was known that it didn't have couch co-op a lot of my interest went out the window.

SFenton

The Amazing Spider-Man apparently also left Steam today.

Activision maybe getting out of the licensing game?

Hopefully it means they are losing the licensing right to TMNT if Activision owns it. I know Ubisoft had the license at one point.

TMNT deserves better than the plethora of mediocre to shit games. I did want to pick this up cheap but since it's gone i will have to get a ps4 physical edition when i can get it for $10.

Whatever license they negotiated must have been a joke if a game released last spring is already delisted. I've never seen something get removed that fast before. If it was a good game, this would have stung even more.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I said damn.

License expiring explains why Activision rushed it out so fast.

Even as a Platinum and TMNT fan.... Nope.

Good this game was garbage. I knew from the trailers that it was gonna play terribly and I was right. I still decided to play through it once and that was abysmal. At least Transformers Devastation was good.

SFenton

Whatever license they negotiated must have been a joke if a game released last spring is already delisted. I've never seen something get removed that fast before. If it was a good game, this would have stung even more.

Deadpool vanished pretty quickly too IIRC, it just happens to be back now.

Takao

Banned

Who would realistically pick up the TMNT license? No one does licensed console games in the west anymore.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Knew the game was going to be garbage since it was being helmed by the Anarchy Reigns director.

Whoa hey Anarchy Reigns was a legit hype beatemup.

Jeez. I mean, the game was terrible (my worst game of the year, and I absolutely adore Platinum), but this is a shitty way for any game to end up. This is probably, what, a good six, seven weeks of work from Platinum just up and gone.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That was Masaki Yamanaka. TMNT was helmed by Eiro Shirahama...who previously directed The Legend of Korra. Go figure.

Yeaaah I think Platinum should "move him". He's clearly not fit to be a director.
Hell, Transformers was likely done in the same time and that was a vastly better game. But we can't prove it...

Ivan 3414

Games like these show why Platinum has no business being the go-to developer for every IP, a suggestion that seems to come up in discussions here when people want their favorite series given to another developer

It's really not a bad game. I feel like most people have forgotten what an actual bad game is. It was, however, very underwhelming and a big missed opportunity considering it was a property + developer dream project.

Hell, Transformers was likely done in the same time and that was a vastly better game. But we can't prove it...

Devastation was directed by Kenji Saito, who previously worked on MGR Revengence. Guess he has a better understanding on how to make an action game with a shorter time and budget.

Games like these show why Platinum has no business being the go-to developer for every IP, a suggestion that seems to come up in discussions here when people want their favorite series given to another developer

Well, we now know the game's quality (or lack thereof) was irrelevant if it was never intended to be sold for more than a few months anyway. If they deliver the product everyone had been asking for, the outcome would have been the same. At least we got Transformers out of the collaboration.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, what I know for sure is that High Moon needs to go independent or find better publisher to work with, cuz Activision is making them work like slaves to help making their other games and not letting them make their own. High Moon is VERY talanted and passionate team, just like Rocksteady. Transformers Cybertron games was amazing, Deadpool also was great and I'm sure they could have made amazing TMNT game.

Release them from your corporate and greedy shit, you corporate bastards!

lupinko

Yeaaah I think Platinum should "move him". He's clearly not fit to be a director.

Transformers was directed by the MGR director was it not?

I kinda want to give the guy one more chance but he stops directing, I won't be upset.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't doubt Platinum's development chops. But it seems even they can't surmount an Activision-style "rush a licensed game out the door" scheme.

mrmickfran

Devastation was directed by Kenji Saito, who previously worked on MGR Revengence. Guess he has a better understanding on how to make an action game with a shorter time and budget.

I would love to get a Saito game with a lot of time under the oven. His games have potential, but he always seems to get the short development cycles.

I feel like a TMNT game would be easier to get right than a Transformers game. Devastation was amazing, no idea how they fucked up TMNT.

While I agree with your point overall, I have to imagine Platinum would have given this property a much better game had they been allowed better time and/or resources. The fact that the license has been pulled so quickly seems to indicate it was rushed out the door even more so than was heavily rumored to make whatever money they could with the time available

This game was made on most likely a short development time and low budget to coincide with the new tmnt film release. So ehh.

Although I do feel like the director had a serious role to play in this games lackluster everything.

styl3s

Who would realistically pick up the TMNT license? No one does licensed console games in the west anymore.
TMNT Telltale? TMNT Lego? And what do you mean nobody does licensed games you have a new Spider-Man game, Batman games, Lego Games based on every fucking license known to man. You have South Park coming out with a new one, Adventure Time, Friday the 13th and a laundry list of anime games that come and are pretty successful in the west.

TMNT isn't just shitty Micahel Bay movies it still has a big fanbase and a successful show that is currently airing. TMNT is legit license that in the right hands could make money and a great game.

Biske

It is a damn shame.

The art was ace (Mateus Santolouco forever) I enjoyed the story, but the game play was ass loads of ass.

Inconceivable how they could have fucked it up so much.

Top Bottom