• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT Shredder's Revenge has sold over 1 million copies in its first week

The other thing that grinds my gears about this game is that it doesn't properly support surround sound setups. Really? They couldn't do BASIC surround sound mixing and panning?

What's hilarious is that when objects are on the left side of the screen, the sounds come out of my right speaker. Again, the game is a technical mess.

It's so trivial to do sound properly in beat 'em ups. You just divide the screen into thirds and make sounds from the left objects come from the left speakers, sounds from middle objects from the center speakers, and sounds from the right objects come from the right speakers. Wow. Really difficult.

Tams

Yes imagine those pesky entitled gamers expecting video games to let you rebind controls in July 2022.
Honestly, as nice as that would be, the control scheme is good so doesn't need tweaking.

DIY arcade hobbyists are an extreme niche. And I'm sure they could work out a workaround if they really cared.

Tams

The other thing that grinds my gears about this game is that it doesn't properly support surround sound setups. Really? They couldn't do BASIC surround sound mixing and panning?

What's hilarious is that when objects are on the left side of the screen, the sounds come out of my right speaker. Again, the game is a technical mess.

It's so trivial to do sound properly in beat 'em ups. You just divide the screen into thirds and make sounds from the left objects come from the left speakers, sounds from middle objects from the center speakers, and sounds from the right objects come from the right speakers. Wow. Really difficult.
If it's so easy, contact them and say you'll code it for them.

Rykan

Have they fixed the Switch version yet? I've heard it was a bit rough around the edges compared to the other versions.

If it's so easy, contact them and say you'll code it for them.

I don't work for free. The fact is that decent/robust input handling code can be incorporated into any 2D game in less than an hour. It's a solved problem.

Look at this crap.

I just see a steady influx of people who can't even play the game. This is an EMBARASSMENT for something that's so easy for any game developer to get right. They should be ashamed.

Tams

I don't work for free. The fact is that decent/robust input handling code can be incorporated into any 2D game in less than an hour. It's a solved problem.

Look at this crap.

I just see a steady influx of people who can't even play the game. This is an EMBARASSMENT for something that's so easy for any game developer to get right. They should be ashamed.

Never said you should offer your services for free. You assumed that.

And going by your posts and attitude, I take it you have the skills. So why don't you contact them, big brain?

Never said you should offer your services for free. You assumed that.

And going by your posts and attitude, I take it you have the skills. So why don't you contact them, big brain?
We both know that's not how it works, "big brain." You don't just contact companies as an individual. I doubt they even work on the PC version of the game anymore. It was clearly a pump and dump license. They're probably already working on their next game. Really, the way these games get developed is horrible for consumers. DotEmu pays some company to make a game, so they're just a contractor who leaves behind a road runner dust silhouette the second the game ships and has ZERO investment in keeping it patched, so the games ship like flaming wreckage and never get fixed unless the publisher is willing to fork out major money for post launch work.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361510/discussions/0/3421062958684200995/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361510/discussions/0/5595176692475629496/

Last edited:

Tams

We both know that's not how it works, "big brain." You don't just contact companies as an individual. I doubt they even work on the PC version of the game anymore. It was clearly a pump and dump license. They're probably already working on their next game. Really, the way these games get developed is horrible for consumers. DotEmu pays some company to make a game, so they're just a contractor who leaves behind a road runner dust silhouette the second the game ships and has ZERO investment in keeping it patched, so the games ship like flaming wreckage and never get fixed unless the publisher is willing to fork out major money for post launch work.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361510/discussions/0/3421062958684200995/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361510/discussions/0/5595176692475629496/
You're too bitter to even try.

And instead of doing something, especially when you apparently have the skills to, you just complain. Well, enjoy shouting into the void.

You're too bitter to even try.

And instead of doing something, especially when you apparently have the skills to, you just complain. Well, enjoy shouting into the void.
Okay, you win. I just offered to do it for free.

unknown.png

YCoCg

4 hr game for $25 LOL

Single-PlayerPolledAverageMedianRushedLeisure
Main Story2722h 43m2h 30m2h 03m4h 29m
Main + Extras1153h 37m3h2h 33m9h 24m
Completionists612h 54m14h 02m10h 12m15h 09m
All PlayStyles3933h 08m2h 45m
This chart would mean UbiSoft open world games are the best gamer value for money.

yurinka

Nice to see it's selling very well. Well deserved, as a fan of the beat'em ups since the '80s, it's one of my favorite games of the year.

As someone developing a beat'em up I'm also very happy to see Dotemu doing a great job releasing very high quality games and selling very well. I wish them the best of lucks, they are bringing back the genre to be relevant and becoming a reference.

4 hr game for $25 LOL

Single-PlayerPolledAverageMedianRushedLeisure
Main Story2722h 43m2h 30m2h 03m4h 29m
Main + Extras1153h 37m3h2h 33m9h 24m
Completionists612h 54m14h 02m10h 12m15h 09m
All PlayStyles3933h 08m2h 45m
In any other media you will have too pay wayyyy more for 4 hours entertainment. But games must be a hour per 1 dollar. Sometimes a short and fun game is better than a bloated shit that does not end.
You are totally wrong. This game is too cheap, deserves to be more expensive.

Thanks god there's enough people that is not like you and awesome short games like this one can have a proper business without having to make them artificially longer. Due to people like you many AAA games are filled of repetitive and boring tasks that are repeated too much times when these game would be way better if they chopped at least the half of that "content".

I thought it was ok. It mostly made me want to play the superior Konami games honestly.

Hurry up, compilation
Unlike the Konami games this one doesn't have a broken difficulty and has a proper progression and learning curve.

Konami games were great in the '80s and '90s but the videogames evolved since then. This new game is enjoyable by a ton of people that today will find the Konami games unplayable due to its difficulty unless having infinite lifes/rewind/save anywhere/etc.

Last edited:
Nice to see it's selling very well. Well deserved, as a fan of the beat'em ups since the '80s, it's one of my favorite games of the year.

As someone developing a beat'em up I'm also very happy to see Dotemu doing a great job releasing very high quality games and selling very well. I wish them the best of lucks, they are bringing back the genre to be relevant and becoming a reference.

You are totally wrong. This game is too cheap, deserves to be more expensive.

Thanks god there's enough people that is not like you and awesome short games like this one can have a proper business without having to make them artificially longer. Due to people like you many AAA games are filled of repetitive and boring tasks that are repeated too much times when these game would be way better if they chopped at least the half of that "content".

Unlike the Konami games this one doesn't have a broken difficulty and has a proper progression and learning curve.

Konami games were great in the '80s and '90s but the videogames evolved since then. This new game is enjoyable by a ton of people that today will find the Konami games unplayable due to its difficulty unless having infinite lifes/rewind/save anywhere/etc.
Either you quoted the wrong person or you did not understand what I wrote. He said 4h for 25€? Like it's too much money for four hours. And I answer that in any other entertainment for 4h you would pay way more and only in gaming the games must be hour per dollar.

yurinka

Either you quoted the wrong person or you did not understand what I wrote. He said 4h for 25€? Like it's too much money for four hours. And I answer that in any other entertainment for 4h you would pay way more and only in gaming the games must be hour per dollar.
I think it's totally wrong and negative for gaming to think the pricing in gaming should be linked to the amount of hours that the game provides, or to think in hours/dollar mentality for games.

Because this would mean great short games like this one or Journey wouldn't exist because their price would be too small to allow them to run a business, and would focus -even more- the big games into virtually infinite repetitive shit.

I think pricing in games must be a balance between what the dev needs to keep that business profitable, so making it somewhat proportional to the budget of the game, and what players find fair to pay for these games. Independently on the game length.

I think games like Ratchet Rift Apart, Morales or Uncharted Lost Legacy may be short for a AAA game, but they have been made with a huge budget. And then small indie games that with a very low budget made a super long game. So I find unfair to price higher that inde compared to a short/smaller scale AAA game.

Then a big ass AAA game have even way higher budget than Rift Apart and these other shorter AAA games. So since they have way higher budget I understand they have a higher price or additional monetization stuff like DLCs, season passes, etc. But not because they are longer games, but because they cost more to be made.

I think it's totally wrong and negative for gaming to think the pricing in gaming should be linked to the amount of hours that the game provides, or to think in hours/dollar mentality for games.

Because this would mean great short games like this one or Journey wouldn't exist because their price would be too small to allow them to run a business, and would focus -even more- the big games into virtually infinite repetitive shit.

I think pricing in games must be a balance between what the dev needs to keep that business profitable, so making it somewhat proportional to the budget of the game, and what players find fair to pay for these games. Independently on the game length.

I think games like Ratchet Rift Apart, Morales or Uncharted Lost Legacy may be short for a AAA game, but they have been made with a huge budget. And then small indie games that with a very low budget made a super long game. So I find unfair to price higher that inde compared to a short/smaller scale AAA game.

Then a big ass AAA game have even way higher budget than Rift Apart and these other shorter AAA games. So since they have way higher budget I understand they have a higher price or additional monetization stuff like DLCs, season passes, etc. But not because they are longer games, but because they cost more to be made.
I totally agree with you. A game can not be judged by how much it cost but how fun and entertaining it is. And many Indy games in my opinion they had to cost more than the asking price.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

The 4 hours for $25 take was terrible for sure. It's someone who doesn't remember what it was like back in the day when 8-bit and 16-bit games like this were the same length as this and cost more than $25. But it was ok with games like TMNT or Sunset Riders because you could play them over and over with your friends and it was fun every single tIme. If all someone does is toss it aside the first time they see the credits roll you have to wonder why they even bother to buy games in the first place.

yurinka

The 4 hours for $25 take was terrible for sure. It's someone who doesn't remember what it was like back in the day when 8-bit and 16-bit games like this were the same length as this and cost more than $25. But it was ok with games like TMNT or Sunset Riders because you could play them over and over with your friends and it was fun every single tIme. If all someone does is toss it aside the first time they see the credits roll you have to wonder why they even bother to buy games in the first place.
Yes, not sure but I'd say beat'em up in the 16 bit generation -typically under an hour long but with very high difficulty- did cost with inflation like $90 or something like that. And well, this new game has way more content, features and replay value than they had back then.

Last edited:

Neff

Konami games were great in the '80s and '90s but the videogames evolved since then.

I'll take classic arcade/console brawlers over any modern 'homage'. You're not wrong about the difficulty of arcade titles but to me they simply feel tighter and more satisfying, in addition to being way more visually stylish and having better music.

Top Bottom