• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: The Last Ronin getting a God of War-inspired video game

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
A lot of different opinions on this and fighting over GoW. Good. We need a proper non-soylent Ragnarok discussion now the dust has settled.

I still need to read this even though I own the hardcover but hopefully it's better than the last few licensed Turtles games minus Shredders Revenge.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Yeah, because those games were total trash.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF
If something is a big enough hit, it must be shit.

So a rat and a tadpole reconciling their relationship one pizza slice at a time.

I'm down for it. The new GoW is definitely a good one to be inspired by.

MiguelItUp

WTF!

Why ruin the surprise
There are plenty of synopsis' out there that just practically mention it right out the gate. So it isn't much of a surprise. Apologies regardless!

Do yourself and read it ASAP, if you're interested, you're doing yourself a disservice. It's not long at all, and has a great flow.

digdug2

“…set in a future where only one of the turtles has survived.”

This kind of defeats the purpose of TMNT?
Not really. The Last Ronin uses all of their weapons, leaving his true identity as a mystery for a while. The story was written by Kevin Eastman (one of the original creators) and is based on a story conceived by him and Peter Laird (the other creator) in the 80s.

The writing in God of War Ragnarök is shit tier, the number of interruptions in the story and gameplay is excessive, it really is SLOG OF WAR, with shitty soap opera/marvel(which is shit) level writing.

The character of Kratos even devolved in GoW Ragnarök.
not everyone has the same opinion. combat was good and graphics looked nice but there are so many other better influences they could be taking from to make a turtles game.
giphy.gif

But wouldn't their main inspirations from GoW be the gameplay and one-take camera style? I don't see them doing a copy paste of GoW's story for TLR considering it's already written and that the final turtle isn't a god. They wouldn't even be using the same writers...

...The more I think about it, the less the 'but the writing was bad' seems relevant.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif

But wouldn't their main inspirations from GoW be the gameplay and one-take camera style? I don't see them doing a copy paste of GoW's story for TLR considering it's already written and that the final turtle isn't a god. They wouldn't even be using the same writers...

...The more I think about it, the less the 'but the writing was bad' seems relevant.
Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

But people have to get their ad nauseum licks in.

RAIDEN1

Shredders revenge was good enough to make me watch the 2003 series, now there's a game being based off of the darker turtles.... fuck yea
I just couldn't get past the fake accent of Splinter, I mean they could have used someone more authentic (talking about the 2003 series)

Last edited:
i never said anything about the writing though.
You said 'combat was good and graphics looked nice', so I figured that leaves one major aspect to criticize. I think that not saying something can still be a way to allude to something else, but I'll admit that I'm wrong if you could elaborate on what aspect of that game left you with the impression that it shouldn't be used as an inspiration.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
“…set in a future where only one of the turtles has survived.”

This kind of defeats the purpose of TMNT?

I honestly never thought they ever died in any kind of media. This only makes it great! Last time I played TMNT game was on Sega MegaDrive and Nintendo Family Computer before it. The new one is shit and I've grown too old to play that shit, same with Streets of Rage 4 that I loved a lot back in the day but doesn't mean I want to play a polished old game now.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
That story premise sounds cool. Always wanted a more darker TMNT world.
People think that TMNT is rated E for everyone. This is mostly due to the cartoons.
But the original Eastman and Laird comic (and The Last Ronin, written by Eastman) was dark and violent. A far cry from it's apparent kid friendly appearance.
Hell, it started because the pair were fans of Frank Miller's Daredevil (The Hand, The Foot, you get it).

DelireMan7

Pretty cool idea. The setting of the comic is great. I found it a bit underwhelming at the end but still a cool one.

Oh my god, this could be REALLY cool. I hope it's handled well. I just read this last year and I absolutely loved it. As a kid,
Michelangelo
was always my favorite, this whole story made me love him even more, lol.

Edit: To me not a spoiler, especially since it's even mentioned in the synopsis in some places, but hey. If people get upset about it...

I was thinking they will keep the mystery for most of the comic but they revealing it in the first or second chapter xD. Miss opportunity for me.
WTF!

Why ruin the surprise
Fair but he has now edited his comment but your quote isn't so you should edit it too :)

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm kinda mixed on this. While I did somewhat enjoy the last ronin I would have liked to play as all four turtles. Plus the god of war thing is a bit odd.

norm9

Sorta like a beat em up in the same vein as the older TMNT (gamecube) and Xmen games? I'm hoping that's what they mean. Make it a four player coop and I'm totally in.

dorkimoe

this would be the first and only ultimate collectors edition i would buy (as long as the game is remotely good)

Top Bottom