• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

oh i agree. time and time again in Atlanta I saw as the expansion of the local public train system was voted down, so that the affluent suburbs would not be accessible to "urban elements" they said indicated crime, poverty, etc. they did not want homeless people to take the trains to the suburbs. they did not want to spend money on the inner city poor & lower class. this is one of the reasons Atlanta does not have a public train you can take to Macon, Athens or Savannah (can you imagine how amazing that would be?). they don't want to spend money on poor rural counties either. they don't like spending money to help poor people (cars are expensive luxuries most in the global 1% don't even think about), they want to hoard it in the cities instead.

there is a lot of straight up neoliberal greed driving these systems. they want to keep the money in their own districts and counties, focusing it on the profit drivers, the cities, the financial centers, while ignoring rural areas. spending it on rail would mean you would have to spend money in rural areas and a lot of people in the bigger cities in the US look down on the rural areas and say "fuck those poor people too". so the money goes to highways and interstate expansions. additional lanes and toll roads, so that city dwellers can drive fast on the highway to their job. personally i am and have always been in favor of public transportation. i haven't owned a car in 10 years and use it constantly myself. the US would be a far better place to live and get around (far better for the climate as well) if we seriously pursued more public transit systems.
I don't disagree with what you guys are saying, but the people on that helicopter were some of the most privileged people in the whole US and would not likely be taking public transportation. I just don't see how it is relevant to this discussion when people are just trying to mourn one of their favorite athletes. The real tragedy seems to be some safety measures may have been ignored and people died as a direct result

Phase

I don't disagree with what you guys are saying, but the people on that helicopter were some of the most privileged people in the whole US and would not likely be taking public transportation. I just don't see how it is relevant to this discussion when people are just trying to mourn one of their favorite athletes. The real tragedy seems to be some safety measures may have been ignored and people died as a direct result
Very true. His helicopter got special clearance to fly, and they flew when they probably shouldn't have.

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Wonder if there's anyone out there that has really brought up Trump and blamed him for Kobe's death. There has to be one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's not the point I was making. If there was decent public transportation in LA, the traffic wouldn't be so horrendous. If the traffic wasn't so horrendous, Kobe wouldn't have needed to resort to a helicopter to avoid the traffic. He would have just driven his million dollar car like the rest of the rich folks.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's not the point I was making. If there was decent public transportation in LA, the traffic wouldn't be so horrendous. If the traffic wasn't so horrendous, Kobe wouldn't have needed to resort to a helicopter to avoid the traffic. He would have just driven his million dollar car like the rest of the rich folks.
The real question is why he lived there in the first place!

ntropy

i'm sure Kobe was just exasperated having to "resort" to taking a helicopter with a scenic view of the west coast -- oh, if only the traffic were not so bad!!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The real question is why he lived there in the first place!

OF COURSE, life is complicated and there are many other variables at play. I'm only focusing on that one aspect, based on Kobe's interview.

i'm sure Kobe was just exasperated having to "resort" to taking a helicopter with a scenic view of the west coast -- oh, if only the traffic were not so bad!!
That's exactly what he said in the interview :pie_eyeroll:

oagboghi2

I wouldn't be overreacting to begin with as I'm not the extremely emotional type. I'll conduct the funeral as normally and stoically as possible and disregard the person causing a scene. Because that's my reaction and I'm entitled to it, like how people are entitled to being combative or engage in debate to change a person's opinion. And it's a difficult comparison to make between an athlete who makes millions putting a ball through a hoop and a civilian who works their 9 to 5 each day.

I'm a little saddened by Kobe's passing even though I'm a loyal Philadelphia 76ers fan, but I won't shed a tear for him because I had my own hangups about him.

We're entitled to our crazy, asinine, and heartless natures.

Let people have theirs and don't bother combatting them.
Then why are you here?

That is what I don't understand. If you don't care, if it's so unimportant to you, why do you feel need to enter the thread and tell people you don't care. Are you that petty? Are you so narcissistic that you are upset people care about someone you dislike, or don't care for. You clicked on the thread and posted a reply, so you clearly care.

You're entitled to act however you want, and people can feel however they want about your behavior. You aren't the victim here

oagboghi2

oh i agree. time and time again in Atlanta I saw as the expansion of the local public train system was voted down, so that the affluent suburbs would not be accessible to "urban elements" they said indicated crime, poverty, etc. they did not want homeless people to take the trains to the suburbs. they did not want to spend money on the inner city poor & lower class. this is one of the reasons Atlanta does not have a public train you can take to Macon, Athens or Savannah (can you imagine how amazing that would be?). they don't want to spend money on poor rural counties either. they don't like spending money to help poor people (cars are expensive luxuries most in the global 1% don't even think about), they want to hoard it in the cities instead.

there is a lot of straight up neoliberal greed driving these systems. they want to keep the money in their own districts and counties, focusing it on the profit drivers, the cities, the financial centers, while ignoring rural areas. spending it on rail would mean you would have to spend money in rural areas and a lot of people in the bigger cities in the US look down on the rural areas and say "fuck those poor people too". so the money goes to highways and interstate expansions. additional lanes and toll roads, so that city dwellers can drive fast on the highway to their job. personally i am and have always been in favor of public transportation. i haven't owned a car in 10 years and use it constantly myself. the US would be a far better place to live and get around (far better for the climate as well) if we seriously pursued more public transit systems.
Seriously. We are going to use Kobe's death to push bullshit politics now

Los Angeles has a huge public transportation system always in place, a light rail, extensive bussing system and a subway being built as we speak. None of the above has impacted traffic in the slightest. L.A. will always have traffic issues because to many people live there. Not because Los Angeles don't spend enough.

Thabass

As a Bostonian and Celtics fan, my job was to be against him. I always respected his game and his drive. There is a hole in my heart that will never be filled again because his competitiveness made me respect him. What happened to Kobe, Gigi, and the other seven on board are things that should not happen to people.

Nothing but respect and love from a Celtics fan. R.I.P Kobe.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Then why are you here?

The thread title isn’t “Pay your respects to a fallen hero, Kobe Bryant”, it’s a thread about a news article.

“why are you here” is just a way of trying to shut down discussion you don’t like. If you want to go that route, it’s very easy to find an echo chamber. Last time I checked, this place isn’t one of them.

This is sad beyond belief. His daughter and 7 other people died too.

But just look at this. I count atleast 7 people banned on the first page on Restera. Why do people still bother being members of that site? Its disgraceful to surpress peoples views like that and none of them were that controversial or deliberately shitty. Fucking hell:

Last edited:

But just look at this. I count atleast 7 people banned on the first page on Restera. Why do people still bother being members of that site? Its disgraceful to surpress peoples views like that and none of them were that controversial or deliberately shitty. Fucking hell:

"This is sad beyond belief........let me take this moment to shit on resetera."

MastAndo

Gold Member
Man, this still doesn't seem real. I've kind of been making an attempt to not read any more about this all today, but I stumbled upon this very poignant message from Kobe for Gordon Hayward after his injury, and yeah, this is rough;

Last edited:

oagboghi2

The thread title isn’t “Pay your respects to a fallen hero, Kobe Bryant”, it’s a thread about a news article.

“why are you here” is just a way of trying to shut down discussion you don’t like. If you want to go that route, it’s very easy to find an echo chamber. Last time I checked, this place isn’t one of them.
It's holding you to your own word. You go on about how much you "don't care" but feel the need to crap on him.

This isn't a echo chamber, which means I can call out your shitty responses.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
It's holding you to your own word. You go on about how much you "don't care" but feel the need to crap on him.

This isn't a echo chamber, which means I can call out your shitty responses.
How did I crap on him? I didn’t, but you just crapped on me and the following things I expressed:
  • called him a fallen hero
  • articulated that there’s no wrong way to mourn someone, as long as it’s genuine
  • directly stated that using someone’s death for personal gain or to draw attention to political issues is disrespectful to the dead person and those in mourning for him
If I didn’t care in the way you’re saying, I would not make any of those arguments, especially in a thread where I can easily be misunderstood and called out.

You’re fighting an enemy in your head who’s actually a friend.

Isn't there a tourist helicopter crash reported in New York City almost every other year?

Shane McMahon almost died in a helicopter crash not long ago. I think helo crashes happen in the military every year. You literally find more helicopter crashes on the internet then plane crashes.

Back in the 00's there was a popular GIF of a helicopter crashing people liked to use in avatars and signatures.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

PTOfido.png

osSKBbb.png

sWV09Dj.png

Whoever mods for Era is a fucking retard confirmed again.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How do the last 2 posts deserve a ban???
Thread whining in a serious thread
You can't whine defend a dead person yet the first poster I mentioned can insult him and ...David Bowie? In a serious thread!

PTOfido.png

osSKBbb.png

sWV09Dj.png

Whoever mods for Era is a fucking retard confirmed again.
How do the last 2 posts deserve a ban???

I think it was because they had a thread for the "main body" of the Kobe passed away news and they did upheld the rules, for the most part, of banning people for talking about the issue in there. those bans happened in a new thread which was created for the purpose of pointing a light on some of the SJW/reporters being harass for talking about that same issue. I'm guessing the mentality is that stay out of this thread if you don't like that stuff? I'm kinda ok with that to be honest.

personally, now that it's been more than 36 hours since Kobe and Gigi had been taken so soon, I feel something can be say about how Kobe is as a person. did the whole rape thing happened? I don't know. I feel that's something nobody can say with 100% certainty unless you're Kobe or that lady. did he make a mistake one way or another? absolutely. maybe it was the corporate suits that pull the supposed smirk job to help secure their investment. maybe he didn't do it at all. or maybe he did. again, we will never be sure. what we do know for sure is that so far, outside of all these folks who can't get over the fact that he made a mistake once upon a time, nobody else had anything but great words to say about the man. his heated rivals on the court, his mentors, his peers and those he had helped one way or another. all the people who are criticizing Kobe on that one thing, have absolutely nothing to do with the mistake that he made all those years ago what so ever. I honestly don't understand the reason they are so hellbend on this issue. in the end, he is still just a man and he still makes mistakes. if you put all the good he had done and all the people he had inspired on one side, and weight it against the one mistake he made in his younger years, do you not think he had done enough to better himself and make up for that mistake already? we are all only human after all and we all make mistakes no matter what. rather than putting so much of your time and energy into "reminding" people about this. rather than trying to uphold this "standard of just" that nobody had asked for, not even the alleged victim herself as far as I know, why not just let it go? I imagine your life might even improve a little because of this.

at the end of the day you are free to do whatever you want of course. keep reminding people that he made mistakes, just like you and me. keep on preaching that "people should not be forgiven just because they had died". me personally, I feel that once you had really put your heart into redeeming yourself from your mistakes and helped others out without getting anything in return, you have already earned forgiveness (from me at least).

anyway, I'm sorry I'm rambling on. I just feel like getting this off my chest. please return to your original programming now.

Super Mario

Banned
Obviously, it's very sad to see someone go when they still have so much of their life ahead of them. It's sad to lose a role model. The worst part is a family being torn apart like this.

I have no ill-will towards Kobe, but damn do we over idolize our celebrities. Some people at least half-pretend they cared about the other people on the helicopter. What about other people who will die today in an accident? No one will care.

that 2008 Olympics was important because nearly everyone on that team (Lebron, Wade, Bosh, ect) all achieved career best numbers the following season after that Olympics and many credit Kobe for that.

MadAnon

Some NTSB footage.. man, that helo got trashed.

Expected. According to the data it was flying nearly at 300km/h when it crashed into the ground and went up in flames because of all that fuel. I will not even attempt to describe what most likely happened with the people inside.

Last edited:
Expected. According to the data it was flying nearly at 300km/h when it crashed into the ground. I will not even try to describe what most likely happened with the people inside.

Best case scenario was that at least it was quick. Hopefully they just thought they were descending to a lower altitude and WHAM. Lights out.

J3nga

But helicopters do have altimeters, right? Even if it was foggy as they say and you couldn't see stuff much further, altimeter should tell how high you are above the ground. It just doesn't make sense to me, helicopters rarely crash like that if not for technical breakdowns.

Phase

But helicopters do have altimeters, right? Even if it was foggy as they say and you couldn't see stuff much further, altimeter should tell how high you are above the ground. It just doesn't make sense to me, helicopters rarely crash like that if not for technical breakdowns.
If he was going a decent speed and hit the side of a hill/mountain it would come upon him very fast and wouldn't show up on electronics quick enough to do anything about it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Obviously, it's very sad to see someone go when they still have so much of their life ahead of them. It's sad to lose a role model. The worst part is a family being torn apart like this.

I have no ill-will towards Kobe, but damn do we over idolize our celebrities. Some people at least half-pretend they cared about the other people on the helicopter. What about other people who will die today in an accident? No one will care.
I don't think they're pretending to care as much as the other victims, but I do believe they want to make sure they're not being overlooked because of Kobe's death.

Yes, death happens all the time and we tend to just glance over reports after someone dies. However, I think people care about those victims after reading their story.

Examples: Emmett Till and Sylvia Likens. I think people cared more about these two individuals after learning more about their story and how they died. People die all the time, but it's hard to connect with every single victim.

I don't think they're pretending to care as much as the other victims, but I do believe they want to make sure they're not being overlooked because of Kobe's death.

Yes, death happens all the time and we tend to just glance over reports after someone dies. However, I think people care about those victims after reading their story.

Examples: Emmett Till and Sylvia Likens. I think people cared more about these two individuals after learning more about their story and how they died. People die all the time, but it's hard to connect with every single victim.

That's the thing.. SOOOOOO many people (I read 150,000) die every day of normal and not normal causes, if we had to stop and think about all of them, we'd be sad and depressed the rest of OUR lives. Hell, that averages out to 104 people to mourn per minute of the day, every minute of every day. Clearly un-doable.

So we pick and choose based off of people we know, or have experience with. EVERYONE in LA had some exposure to Kobe over the last 20+ years. Lots of people in other states/countries had exposure to him too due to playing games everywhere + media coverage. Naturally people are going to grieve and mourn someone they feel some attachment too, even if its just admiration (or even bitterness from a rival). The other familes deaths, while absolutely no less tragic, don't have quite the same pull.

The media has hours of Kobe footage, and a lot of it has his daughter(s) in it as well, which ups the emotions. The other families very likely don't have canned footage ready to go right now, that is the last thing on their minds. No one would have a footage roll to eulogize me if I died right n

Last edited:

K1Expwy

This is a violent and grisly accident involving multiple families and children. If a sports superstar wasn't on board, it wouldn't make the worldwide headlines, but it would break everyone in the local area who heard about it, and could see the smoke and fire from the hillside.

Top Bottom