• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

"To Begin With? Everything." The Official ROCK BAND Thread (M3wThr33: WE HATE YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

Member
Oct 7, 2005
19,775
2
0
Silent Hill
morningproject.com
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but for the online gameplay stuff, it isn't cross-platform, right? I really want the game for PS3, but only one of the friends I'd be wanting to play with has one (as opposed to all of my friends having a 360).
 
Jan 19, 2005
70,609
0
0
www.benjaminbirdie.com
shidoshi said:
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but for the online gameplay stuff, it isn't cross-platform, right? I really want the game for PS3, but only one of the friends I'd be wanting to play with has one (as opposed to all of my friends having a 360).
Would that it were. I'll have to settle for a small commemorative Krypt0nian statue in my tour van.

:(
 

Sp3eD

Member
Jun 6, 2004
5,001
198
1,540
As confirmed at 31:37 - 31:41 in the new 1Up show this week

Bonus Songs
"I'm so sick" - Flyleaf
"Time we Had" - The Mother Hips
"Blood Doll" - Anarchy Club
"Day Late, Dollar Short" - The Acro-Brats
"Nightmare" - Crooked X
 

Johnkers

Member
Apr 28, 2007
2,761
0
0
Needs more region free confirmation

Edit: Also, do any USB mics work with it? Like will PS2 Singstar mics work with 360 Rock Band?

If I import I don't think I can afford to ship the entire hugeass box down, but just the game to play with Explorers and a mic would be fine until drums are out
 

TheGreatDave

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
38,095
0
0
33
Johnkers said:
Needs more region free confirmation

Edit: Also, do any USB mics work with it? Like will PS2 Singstar mics work with 360 Rock Band?

If I import I don't think I can afford to ship the entire hugeass box down, but just the game to play with Explorers and a mic would be fine until drums are out
We have common questions. I have a couple of Singstar mics; if they work I'll import just the game disc.

...assuming it'll fucking work.
 

Sp3eD

Member
Jun 6, 2004
5,001
198
1,540
BenjaminBirdie said:
*yoink*

Thenk you!!
Bonus Songs
(2005, 2:55) Flyleaf - Flyleaf - I'm So Sick
(2007, 3:06) The Mother Hips - Kiss the Crystal Flake - Time We Had
(????, ?:??) Anarchy Club - ???????? - Blood Doll
(2006, 3:02) The Acrobrats - ...Go Down Swinging! - Day Late, Dollar Short
(????, 4:22) Crooked X - ??????? - Nightmare

Modified just for this awesome thread :)
 

Johnkers

Member
Apr 28, 2007
2,761
0
0
TheGreatDave said:
We have common questions. I have a couple of Singstar mics; if they work I'll import just the game disc.

...assuming it'll fucking work.
All we need is a common answer
 

schism

Member
Jun 16, 2005
109
0
0
Johnkers said:
If I import I don't think I can afford to ship the entire hugeass box down, but just the game to play with Explorers and a mic would be fine until drums are out
Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to import the whole kit to Australia?, assuming of course the PS3 version is region free (can't see why it wouldn't be)

I wonder if DVD Crave will be stocking the US version *ponders*
 
Jan 19, 2005
70,609
0
0
www.benjaminbirdie.com
Sp3eD said:
Bonus Songs
(2005, 2:55) Flyleaf - Flyleaf - I'm So Sick
(2007, 3:06) The Mother Hips - Kiss the Crystal Flake - Time We Had
(????, ?:??) Anarchy Club - ???????? - Blood Doll
(2006, 3:02) The Acrobrats - ...Go Down Swinging! - Day Late, Dollar Short
(????, 4:22) Crooked X - ??????? - Nightmare

Modified just for this awesome thread :)
Holy shit, thanks! If I had trophies I'd be handin' 'em out right and goddamned left in here!
 

polyh3dron

Banned
Jan 14, 2007
41,968
2
0
Los Angeles, CA
shidoshi said:
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but for the online gameplay stuff, it isn't cross-platform, right? I really want the game for PS3, but only one of the friends I'd be wanting to play with has one (as opposed to all of my friends having a 360).
The only reason I want it for the PS3 is that I know I will want a shitload of DLC for this game that will take up a good few gigs of HDD space, and my puny 20GB 360 HDD will not handle it. But I only have one friend who has a PS3 and he's getting the 360 version.. ughhh.
 

M3wThr33

Banned
Aug 1, 2004
17,810
0
0
35
Los Angeles, CA
planetmew.com
Johnkers said:
Needs more region free confirmation

Edit: Also, do any USB mics work with it? Like will PS2 Singstar mics work with 360 Rock Band?

If I import I don't think I can afford to ship the entire hugeass box down, but just the game to play with Explorers and a mic would be fine until drums are out

Gets the PS3 version. It will be region free.

The game will work with ANY USB mic. That means NO Singstar. Singstar are two custom mics that share a USB port and don't really do what is needed.
SOCOM Headsets will work. Karaoke Revolution mics will work. They're both Logitech microphones. Even the Boogie mic on the Wii is.
 

Propagandhim

Banned
Jul 6, 2005
3,492
0
0
Jube3 said:
lol screw that check out Flyleaf - I'm So Sick. Thats the "get evicted" song right there lol

While that definitely would be tough, I think the Coheed song is harder to pull off vocally (and instrumentally).
 

derder

Member
Apr 3, 2007
5,006
0
0
Raleigh, NC
I went to BB today to pickup vf5, there was one person playing gh3 and a huge crowd around RB. Its genius, I just wish they'd put it out a week before gh3.
 

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Mar 14, 2007
12,391
0
0
Jube3 said:
lol screw that check out Flyleaf - I'm So Sick. Thats the "get evicted" song right there lol
I burst out laughing when the little girl who was flirting around started shouting.

And I don't see why it'd be hard to do the coheed vocals? They're not about being on pitch, are they? Because that'd be impossible, no one person could beat the vocals :lol
 

Propagandhim

Banned
Jul 6, 2005
3,492
0
0
QVT said:
I burst out laughing when the little girl who was flirting around started shouting.

And I don't see why it'd be hard to do the coheed vocals? They're not about being on pitch, are they? Because that'd be impossible, no one person could beat the vocals :lol
Yeah, it's pitch and timing, I believe.

"You're still doing it wrong, Matt!!! Frank, get the nutcracker out!"
"OHHHH I DON'T WANT TO DO THE COHEED SONG ANYMORE!!! GAHHH"
 

Johnkers

Member
Apr 28, 2007
2,761
0
0
M3wThr33 said:
Gets the PS3 version. It will be region free.

The game will work with ANY USB mic. That means NO Singstar. Singstar are two custom mics that share a USB port and don't really do what is needed.
SOCOM Headsets will work. Karaoke Revolution mics will work. They're both Logitech microphones. Even the Boogie mic on the Wii is.
I already have a 360 Guitar. I don't even own Singstar mics, just know people who do.
 

ratcliffja

Member
May 13, 2005
16,472
1
0
36
Valencia, CA
I did NOT expect Flyleaf in this game at all. Dang it, I hope they announce a Wii version soon. Then again, I wouldn't have anybody to play this with anyway.
 

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Mar 14, 2007
12,391
0
0
Propagandhim said:
Yeah, it's pitch and timing, I believe.

"You're still doing it wrong, Matt!!! Frank, get the nutcracker out!"
"OHHHH I DON'T WANT TO DO THE COHEED SONG ANYMORE!!! GAHHH"
Well I'm just basing the not being on pitch thing on the horrific E3 "performance" which was, wow.

It's too bad they couldn't get any of the new coheed songs instead of one off IV part one. That new album is awesome.
 

Propagandhim

Banned
Jul 6, 2005
3,492
0
0
QVT said:
Well I'm just basing the not being on pitch thing on the horrific E3 "performance" which was, wow.

It's too bad they couldn't get any of the new coheed songs instead of one off IV part one. That new album is awesome.
Agreed on both counts.
 

durden

"Books made me do it"
Sep 18, 2006
107
0
0
www.fremdclothing.com
1up said:
The energy the drummer brings really makes that vid!

Just saw on the 1up show that singing doesn't work online, the other guys don't hear your voice.
Anyone know how it works then? Do they just see your score? Thats disappointing if true...not that I still won't buy it anyway
(when it finally makes it out in europe... :-()
 

Tiduz

Eurogaime
May 20, 2006
9,635
0
1,455
34
Netherlands
i want this game really bad, im planning on playing guitar parts, my brother wants drums

No one else i know is into this, so we could only play 2 instruments, would you still recommend the game or is it just not worth it playing that way?
 

Eric WK

Member
Sep 23, 2006
10,925
0
0
Great work, Ben. Both on the awesome thread and on making me want something I totally can't afford.
 

Sp3eD

Member
Jun 6, 2004
5,001
198
1,540
Tiduz said:
No one else i know is into this, so we could only play 2 instruments, would you still recommend the game or is it just not worth it playing that way?
Once you know the lyrics to songs you could do guitar or drums + vocals.
 

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Jun 6, 2004
7,448
0
0
Tiduz said:
i want this game really bad, im planning on playing guitar parts, my brother wants drums

No one else i know is into this, so we could only play 2 instruments, would you still recommend the game or is it just not worth it playing that way?
The game is perfectly playable with just two instruments.
 

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Jun 6, 2007
5,713
0
0
Portland, OR
I know it's been said before, but according to their MySpace, Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives are back, with I Get By. You can listen to it on their main myspace page. No external confirmation though.

Formatted for easy OP insertion:

(2005, 4:18) Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives - Second & Eighteen - I Get By
 
Sep 10, 2004
15,227
1
0
I am buying Rock Band because of the drum set.

And since they are bundling it, EA is getting more money out of me, so congrats. I really did only want the game and the drum set. EA is a sly clever cat who rapes me always.
 

rollingstart

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
38,766
1
0
eviloreisarapist
durden said:
The energy the drummer brings really makes that vid!

Just saw on the 1up show that singing doesn't work online, the other guys don't hear your voice.
Anyone know how it works then? Do they just see your score? Thats disappointing if true...not that I still won't buy it anyway
(when it finally makes it out in europe... :-()
yeah, you pretty much just see their score progress I suppose.

it isnt a big deal and makes a lot of sense, hearing someone sing over the net would be really choppy and low quality and all around poor.
 
Sep 10, 2004
15,227
1
0
UltimaPooh said:
But doesn't do the reverse...

It's retarded that the guitar controller isn't compatible with Guitar Hero II and III.
That is the fault of Activision... you know that... right?
 

Outdoor Miner

Member
Jun 8, 2004
9,177
0
0
38
Miami
Can't believe I missed this thread until now. DAY ONE BITCHES!

Anyways, looking at the setlist, I'm surprised how under-represented the 80's decade is. Hmmm, nothing a little Smiths and Cure couldn't remedy. :D

speculawyer said:
I just pre-ordered the $169.99 Rock Band pack for the 360 from Amazon . . . so what does it come with?
1x Guitar, 1x Drum kit, 1x microphone, oh and 1x Game of the Forever.
 

rollingstart

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
38,766
1
0
eviloreisarapist
UltimaPooh said:
But doesn't do the reverse...

It's retarded that the guitar controller isn't compatible with Guitar Hero II and III.
understand that the Rock Band guitar is cool with working with anything, it doesnt have anything stopping it from working, it is Guitar Hero 3 that restricts it from working.

speculawyer said:
I just pre-ordered the $169.99 Rock Band pack for the 360 from Amazon . . . so what does it come with?
both PS3 and 360 versions:

1 Drum set
1 USB mic
Rock Band game
stickers, strap, those things.

PS3 only:
Wireless guitar

360 only:
Wired guitar
USB Hub


I want to know that the Rock Band guitar will work with GH1 and GH2, then I will switch my order to the PS3 version.
 

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jun 9, 2004
24,940
0
0
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
That is the fault of Activision... you know that... right?
Harmonix programmed GH2 FFS. You'd think they would know how to make a guitar work with it after, you know, doing it before.
 
Sep 10, 2004
15,227
1
0
TAJ said:
Harmonix programmed GH2 FFS. You'd think they would know how to make a guitar work with it after, you know, doing it before.
You don't really know what you are talking about. The software needs to support the controller for it to work. Harmonix is supporting the Guitar Hero controllers in Rock Band. Activision is NOT supporting the Rock Band guitar in Guitar Hero. You lose.
 
Oct 28, 2005
13,062
0
0
TAJ said:
Harmonix programmed GH2 FFS. You'd think they would know how to make a guitar work with it after, you know, doing it before.
It's a software-level problem, not an entirely hardware one. Activision/Neversoft are blocking the RB guitar by making their software only recognize their hardware. Harmonix, on the other hand, isn't implementing such lock-outs in their software.
 

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jun 9, 2004
24,940
0
0
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
You don't really know what you are talking about. The software needs to support the controller for it to work. Harmonix is supporting the Guitar Hero controllers in Rock Band. Activision is NOT supporting the Rock Band guitar in Guitar Hero.
So you don't think that Harmonix had anything to do with making the Rock Band guitar? Their logo is fucking huge on the back of it. Just make the controller behave like the the GH2 ones. Why is that difficult?
 

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jun 9, 2004
24,940
0
0
Vyse The Legend said:
It's a software-level problem, not an entirely hardware one. Activision/Neversoft are blocking the RB guitar by making their software only recognize their hardware. Harmonix, on the other hand, isn't implementing such lock-outs in their software.
Again, this only applies to GH3.
 
Sep 10, 2004
15,227
1
0
TAJ said:
So you don't think that Harmonix had anything to do with making the Rock Band guitar? Their logo is fucking huge on the back of it. Just make the controller behave like the the GH2 ones. Why is that difficult?
lolzzzzzzz
 

rollingstart

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
38,766
1
0
eviloreisarapist
TAJ said:
So you don't think that Harmonix had anything to do with making the Rock Band guitar? Their logo is fucking huge on the back of it. Just make the controller behave like the the GH2 ones. Why is that difficult?
because it doesnt work like that, same reason why you are forced to use the official microsoft racing wheel to play Forza 2 instead of the G25.
 

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Jun 9, 2004
24,940
0
0
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
lolzzzzzzz
I bow before your superior debate skills.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.