• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To curb scalpers Sony in Japan are ordering retailers to break the seal in front of the customer upon purchase of a PS5

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
From Google Translator:

The seal is operated by the store. Basically, it is a mechanism that puts a sticker on the PS5 box in advance, cuts off the sticker when selling, sells it, and "opens" it. The peeled seal is difficult to peel off, and the box may be scratched if it is forcibly peeled off.

It seems that the aim is to prevent some purchasers who purchased the PS5 from "Scalpers" as it is, and to cut the seal in advance so that it will not sell as a new product. Although SIE said that it distributes stickers to retailers, it avoids mentioning the scale and timing.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If it works but what's the price on a second hand PS5 in Japan? If its still substantially higher then at least the scalpers get their profit margins slightly fucked.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
All those poor poor seals

seal GIF

Fbh

I don't know man, just sounds like it would help scammers.

"Nah man the console I sold you is totally new. Look the seal is broken because they do that with every unit. The fingerprints on yours must come from the factory or something, crazy right?"

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't think a broken seal will deter the scalpers or the people who are willing to pay those high amounts to buy consoles.

I'd never allow that. I bought a PS5 as a gift for my brother , if he didn't want it or wanted the Money he would have brought it back to the store .

Only the owner should break the seal and they should decide when and where.

//DEVIL//

I don't know man, just sounds like it would help scammers.

"Nah man the console I sold you is totally new. Look the seal is broken because they do that with every unit. The fingerprints on yours must come from the factory or something, crazy right?"

If the person is not smart enough to buy a PS5 with a broken seal as a brand new system, then he deserves to get scammed really.

That would require scalpers to get them from a retail store. Maybe that's the case in Japan, but everywhere else still seems to be online only and bought by bots.

Kilau

Gold Member
"Brand New PS5 with broken seal for sale"

Maybe Japan has some sort of crazy high "honor in re-selling" thing going on, but I don't know how this would curtail any amount of folks buying a PS5 from a second hand seller.

Check out StockX. They open everything they sell before they send it.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese re-selling culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Didn't one of the retailers write the purchaser's name on the box as a way to combat scalping?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
"Brand New PS5 with broken seal for sale"

Maybe Japan has some sort of crazy high "honor in re-selling" thing going on, but I don't know how this would curtail any amount of folks buying a PS5 from a second hand seller.

Check out StockX. They open everything they sell before they send it.
If I were a scalper, this is certainly what I would do, and I wouldn't let it affect my prices at all (in the US--as you said, the Japanese might have a thing about this).
Also emphasis on the "if," in case anyone skims that and gets the wrong idea.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It sounds like these are extra seals not originally on the box? So why would anyone care in terms of resale value, it only shows it's already been sold via store before, like how else would the shady scalper get it? I guess if anything it shows it's not stolen off retail so you're good even, lol.

It sucks they made it so it deliberately rips the box if you try and remove it, people like keeping their stuff mint at home even if they don't intend to resell. Although there's probably an easy way to peel it off with alcohol or heat or whatever (and if that's the case it's even more pointless)...

Last edited:
Top Bottom