• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Get A New GPU Not To Get A New GPU....

What to do?

• Wait and buy 4080 RTX

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • Buy 3090 RTX

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Buy 3080 RTX

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Buy 3060 RTX

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
That is the question.

Right now this is what my PC is (I built PC at the end of 2018 or 2019 I do not remember exactly)

Processor - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.80 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM) 32 GB
GPU - Nvidia 1660 TI 6 GB

I do not really game on my PC, but maybe sometimes Game Pass titles like Sea of Thieves was better aiming in PvP and that's about it.

This PC is mostly used for video editing, photoshop and social media marketing work/job for YouTube/Instagram/Facebook stuff and advertising. I love my processor oh and of course it is a streaming PC as well on occasion during the weekends. Now the main reason why I wanting a newer GPU was to be able record footage of upcoming titles at full 4K60+ FPS. Sometimes we get review codes of big games on PC, because Publishers run out of PS5/XSX keys, so we are forced to review/cover/make content on the PC.

I mostly game on my Xbox Series X and the PS5 and I have a 4K60 capture card for that that my PC handles fine.

But at this point the 3090s I'd consider are halfway through their life cycle. I am not sure what is happening with the GPU chips and all that as I am not an expert when it comes to that sort of stuff. However, I am well aware that Nvidia is on a 2 year cycle between their big releases. 2080s was 2018 and 3080s were in the 2020. Assuming they are on schedule are we getting 4080s in the Fall this year? If so, is it better to wait? Assuming COVID didn't mess with their stuff (probably did)

Pls HALP.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Get the 3080, 3060 will fall short for 4K gaming.

Don't think, just buy GPU.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If you can get a 3080 at MSRP definitely get it. 3090 is better but the price/ performance is not worth it IMO.

Who knows when 40 series will come out with the way things are going.

Fredrik

It’s always best to wait if you don’t play much on your PC. I have no idea what’s needed for game capturing but I can’t see why 4K60 would ever be needed for short review clips.

I have a 3800x + 3070ti. Used to have a 1080ti and honestly wish that I had stayed on that one. RTX is the most overhyped thing ever. It’s not worth it. DLSS is great though but it’s not really needed unless you use RTX anyway. I had higher fps on Cyberpunk at Ultra on my 1080ti than on my 3070ti at Ultra RT.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ve didn’t care for the rtx 3060, gaming at 1440p it just felt lacking. Rtx 3060ti is much better. Now with Best Buy using one of them sub services to hide card/consoles behind good luck getting it at retail so prob a moot point anyways.

Thats said most games look the same if you turn on raytracing so don’t really need the upgrade. So much resources for such little to show for it…

Buggy Loop

I mean, if you land any GPU at MSRP, don’t even hesitate, buy. It’s not even a loss of revenue if you change your mind.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That is the question.

Right now this is what my PC is (I built PC at the end of 2018 or 2019 I do not remember exactly)

Processor - AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.80 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM) 32 GB
GPU - Nvidia 1660 TI 6 GB

I do not really game on my PC, but maybe sometimes Game Pass titles like Sea of Thieves was better aiming in PvP and that's about it.

This PC is mostly used for video editing, photoshop and social media marketing work/job for YouTube/Instagram/Facebook stuff and advertising. I love my processor oh and of course it is a streaming PC as well on occasion during the weekends. Now the main reason why I wanting a newer GPU was to be able record footage of upcoming titles at full 4K60+ FPS. Sometimes we get review codes of big games on PC, because Publishers run out of PS5/XSX keys, so we are forced to review/cover/make content on the PC.

I mostly game on my Xbox Series X and the PS5 and I have a 4K60 capture card for that that my PC handles fine.

But at this point the 3090s I'd consider are halfway through their life cycle. I am not sure what is happening with the GPU chips and all that as I am not an expert when it comes to that sort of stuff. However, I am well aware that Nvidia is on a 2 year cycle between their big releases. 2080s was 2018 and 3080s were in the 2020. Assuming they are on schedule are we getting 4080s in the Fall this year? If so, is it better to wait? Assuming COVID didn't mess with their stuff (probably did)

Pls HALP.
Dont pay scalping prices. Don't contribute to that shit show. If you can get one for MSRP then absolutely yes, get one.

Kenpachii

The question is u want the performance of 4000 series or u think the 3000 is fine until the 5000-6000 series come out.

All depends on your demands.

Also 4000 cards could be readily available at the end of the year or they could be ungainable for another year after the release, which could still mean u going to wait for a very long time to get your hands on it.

Nvenc on 2000+ series will help a ton with cpu performance hits and quality uplift if you only used 4 cores anyway for recording so that could be mighty useful also 8k recording is a thing with nvenc.

So its all up to what u want.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As others have said, if you can find a 3080 at RRP, you'd be crazy NOT to buy it.

3070ti/3080ti are scams manufacturer marked-up bullshit, avoid.

Last edited:

Mercador

I don't think the 3060 can do 4K@60, on some games yes but not the majority. I have a 1070 with similar performances, I can have 40-45fps on Witcher 3 in 4K, I have to go at 1440p to have a more steady 60fps.

manfestival

I mean we are already balls deep into this generation of GPU. May as well hold off and wait for the 40 series. Otherwise 3080 + is your best bet period. Though it is hard to tell on these things since Nvidia wants to release a 3090ti and it seems counter productive(to consumers) aside from just binning silicon for max value. The release of the 3090ti could be what delays the 40 series since they want to ensure they get the most of their money before diving into the next generation. AMD seems to be following suit with the 7000/6950xt

Top Bottom