• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To put PS5 5.5GB/s SSD in prospective PS4 only had 5.5GB of RAM available for games

Kerotan

A PS5 SSD thread?
giphy.gif

What's wrong with this thread. I learned something new anyway

Called it, PC specs will easily match the PS5 SSD. IT isn't revolutionary nor will it ever be. It is just an SSD. Sony fanboys need to stop grasping at straws and just enjoy their console. The Ps5 will be awesome and so will the XSX. Whatever you choose to buy will be fine and you will get cool games.

LOL scratching my head at this post.

If you watched the PS5 presentation you would have known Cerny mentioned these fast capable SSDs will be releasing this year soon.

Even if you haven’t, common sense would tell you these fast SSD’s will release sooner or later.

So what did you exactly call?

Apart from the obvious.

njean777

LOL scratching my head at this post.

If you watched the PS5 presentation you would have known Cerny mentioned these fast capable SSDs will be releasing this year soon.

Even if you haven’t, common sense would tell you these fast SSD’s will release sooner or later.

So what did you exactly call?

Apart from the obvious.

A lot of Sony fans were saying that the Ssd is revolutionary when it isn't. That is all I was saying. It isn't and PC's will have faster and better Ssd's than even the PS5. So no reason to tout that it is something that is going to change the whole ball game. SSD's will be nice and load times will be cut down, which is all good and I will be happy to see.

onQ123

A lot of Sony fans were saying that the Ssd is revolutionary when it isn't. That is all I was saying. It isn't and PC's will have faster and better Ssd's than even the PS5. So no reason to tout that it is something that is going to change the whole ball game. SSD's will be nice and load times will be cut down, which is all good and I will be happy to see.

And this is where you fail because it's going to do more than just shorten load times

Leonidas

It's too bad PS5 is stuck with PCIe Gen 4 speeds.

Imagine what they could have done on PCIe Gen 5. Hopefully if Sony believes the speed to be so important they will port their games to PC and make use of the cutting edge PC SSDs coming next year.

njean777

And this is where you fail because it's going to do more than just shorten load times

Doubt it; it may do some cool things for first party game no doubt, but for the majority of titles it won't do much more than that and reduce pop-in. I could be totally wrong, but seeing SSD's on PC for the last couple of years that's pretty much all they do (when it comes to gaming).

onQ123

Doubt it; it may do some cool things for first party game no doubt, but for the majority of titles it won't do much more than that and reduce pop-in. I could be totally wrong, but seeing SSD's on PC for the last couple of years that's pretty much all they do (when it comes to gaming).

SMH because on PC games are made to work on a lot of different PCs so they can't just cut off the people playing games with a HDD & design the games for SSD but Microsoft just introduced Directstorage & that should help with the transition to games being made with SSD
in mind

DirectStorage – DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

Reactions: LMJ

TLZ

Banned
So, you are saying having a GPU and SSD is basically the same in regards to the capabilities of a console? Lol
The Xbox ssd is fast enough, having an even faster ssd doesn’t result in any difference for Multiplatform games, except for a little less loading times.
However, having a stronger GPU results in a MUCH bigger advantage .
Are you thick man? I'm saying it's fine to list the advantages of both consoles. It's not either or.

Last edited:

sendit

Random forum poster: "The only thing SSD will do is shorten load times, 12 TERAFLOPS! :messenger_smiling_hearts:"

Microsoft: “The CPU is the brain of our new console and the GPU is the heart, but the Xbox Velocity Architecture is the soul,” said Andrew Goossen, the technical Fellow on Xbox Series X at Microsoft. “The Xbox Velocity Architecture is about so much more than fast last times. It’s one of the most innovative parts of our new console. It’s about revolutionizing how games can create vastly bigger, more compelling worlds.”

Even Microsoft knows that the SSD is key to pushing this medium forward.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Which PC games already out or coming out in the near future has been developed to take advantage of 5+ GB/s raw SSD speed, and which PC mobos have an IO controller capapble of decompressing at the speeds the PS5 IO controler does? This is what people like you seem to either not understand or completely ignore. It's not just load times, developers can have more high quality textures in memory at the same time, instead of having a lot of unecessary textures taking up space in case a player turns to the right or the left. Traversal in the world can be done quicker, better LOD systems, less pop-in etc. With the SSD the memory can be fed a lot faster - that is the main point of it.

Unfortunately, with large variety in HW configurations in the PC world a developer has to account for a lot of people still using mechanical harddrives and a wide variety of SSDs.

Last edited:
Which PC games already out or coming out in the near future has been developed to take advantage of 5+ GB/s raw SSD speed, and which PC mobos have an IO controller capapble of decompressing at the speeds the PS5 IO controler does? This is what people like you seem to either not understand or completely ignore. It's not just load times, developers can have more high quality textures in memory at the same time, instead of having a lot of unecessary textures taking up space in case a player turns to the right or the left. Traversal in the world can be done quicker, better LOD systems, less pop-in etc. With the SSD the memory can be fed a lot faster - that is the main point of it.

Unfortunately, with large variety in HW configurations in the PC world a developer has to account for a lot of people still using mechanical harddrives and a wide variety of SSDs.
There is no "IO controller" for compression. The PS5 has a decompression chip which is, as Cerny said, compareable to having another Zen core on your CPU responsible for decompression, hence you don't need something like this on a PC when you can simply run 12, 16, 20, 24, 32, 48, 64, 128 etc cores. You are limited by your money.

The same goes for SSDs. You could simply buy Gigabyte's AIC Adaptor (which mimics seagate's nytro XP7200 - a Gen3 SSD capable of 10GB/s reads), it's essentially running 4 Gen4 SSDs in raid through your x16 PCIe slot which gives you up to 15GB/s reads/writes.

Whatever the PS5 and Xbox can do thanks to its optimizations can be brute forced by PCs, this was and will always be the case... so can we please stop with this "PC can't do this"-bullshit? It's absolutely moronic to believe that the upcoming consoles will have or do something that you couldn't do with a PC.

Also: Star Citizen takes advantage of SSDs, the faster the SSD, the better your in-game performance. That is a game which is doing next-gen stuff.

jonnyp

There is no "IO controller" for compression. The PS5 has a decompression chip which is, as Cerny said, compareable to having another Zen core on your CPU responsible for decompression, hence you don't need something like this on a PC when you can simply run 12, 16, 20, 24, 32, 48, 64, 128 etc cores. You are limited by your money.

The same goes for SSDs. You could simply buy Gigabyte's AIC Adaptor (which mimics seagate's nytro XP7200 - a Gen3 SSD capable of 10GB/s reads), it's essentially running 4 Gen4 SSDs in raid through your x16 PCIe slot which gives you up to 15GB/s reads/writes.

Whatever the PS5 and Xbox can do thanks to its optimizations can be brute forced by PCs, this was and will always be the case... so can we please stop with this "PC can't do this"-bullshit? It's absolutely moronic to believe that the upcoming consoles will have or do something that you couldn't do with a PC.

Also: Star Citizen takes advantage of SSDs, the faster the SSD, the better your in-game performance. That is a game which is doing next-gen stuff.

I wrote decompression and yes you are right that you can brute force . But you can throw as much money as you want into your PC but if games aren't designed to take proper advantage of it then what good is it?

Star Citizen is one game. And if 5 GB/s SSD speeds were the norm on PC they would take even more advantage of that then they are currently doing. Most games are not developed to take advantage of such speeds at this point in time on PC. And that is the whole point.

I think we both agree though that the faster you can feed the memory the better it is for displaying assets. On PS5 developers have that common baseline.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
To put this into perspective, Nintendo 64 had 4 MB of RAM (at 562 MB/s) and could read its maximum 64MB media at 264 MB/s.

Last edited:

sendit

:messenger_loudly_crying:

Since words are hard. Here is a picture:

xZeSDf9.png

Unless PCs are mitigating the way the GPU accesses the SSD, the PC will not be able to brute this. Not for a long time, even given the same SSD speeds.

Last edited:

sendit

Except the pic shows the data goes straight to RAM...

Which is the whole point of this...The RAM you're questioning here is the GPU ram. ....Here is another picture (From Nvidia, which is a similar concept to what the PS5 is doing) since words are hard:
8x8DuiO.png

This isn't rocket science.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Called that by the time the PS5 comes out there will already be Ssd's that match or beat the PS5 specs on PC. It isn't revolutionary like some Sony fanboys have been parading around here, and don't act like they haven't.
It isnt about the ssd speed really. It's how the ssd has been built into the rest of the system.
On a pc new ssds connect to an nvme port. PS5 ssd tech is more advanced than nvme. If it performs well it could become the new PC standard.

Currently there isn’t anything out there for the PC market right now that rivals the SSD in PS5, pcs will eventually get these down the line but I think what most people are saying is this gen will be the first games will be developed around a blazing fast SSD to take advantage of the game. You seriously cannot believe that only ‘loading a game faster’ is all that the SSD is capable of, that’s what it does on the PC yes, but the way Sony have designed this and how a dev can take advantage of it when creating games is what is revolutionary, this is what I think most people are not seeing (or intentionally not seeing) don’t only think SSD’s are purely to decrease load times, they are, and much much more.

Think of it this way, this is the first gen where Sony hasn’t just traditionally increased its numbers, they’ve gone for a heavily customised silicon, how that plays out through the gen we just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

onQ123

With latency of just a few milliseconds, data can be requested and delivered within the processing time of a single frame, or at worst for the next frame. This is in stark contrast to a hard drive, where the same process can typically take up to 250ms. What this means is that data can be handled by the console in a very different way - a more efficient way. "I'm still working on games. I was a producer on Marvel's Spider-Man, Death Stranding and The Last Guardian," says Mark Cerny. "My work was on a mixture of creative and technical issues - so I pick up a lot of insight as to how systems are working in practice."

One of the biggest issues is how long it takes to retrieve data from the hard drive and what this means for developers. "Let's say an enemy is going to yell something as it dies, which can be issued as an urgent cut-in-front-of-everybody else request, but it's still very possible that it takes 250 milliseconds to get the data back due to all of the other game and operating requests in the pipeline," Cerny explains. "That 250 milliseconds is a problem because if the enemy is going to yell something as it dies, it needs to happen pretty much instantaneously; this kind of issue is what forces a lot of data into RAM on PlayStation 4 and its generation."

The proprietary SSD - how it works and what it delivers
From the very first PlayStation 5 reveal in Wired, Sony has spent a lot of time evangelising its SSD - the solid-state storage solution that will be transformative not just in terms of loading times, but in how games will be able to deliver bigger, more detailed worlds and much more dynamic use of memory. With an impressive 5.5GB/s of raw bandwidth alongside hardware accelerated decoding (boosting effective bandwidth to around 8-9GB/s), PlayStation 5's SSD is clearly a point of pride for Mark Cerny and his team.

There's low level and high level access and game-makers can choose whichever flavour they want - but it's the new I/O API that allows developers to tap into the extreme speed of the new hardware. The concept of filenames and paths is gone in favour of an ID-based system which tells the system exactly where to find the data they need as quickly as possible. Developers simply need to specify the ID, the start location and end location and a few milliseconds later, the data is delivered. Two command lists are sent to the hardware - one with the list of IDs, the other centring on memory allocation and deallocation - i.e. making sure that the memory is freed up for the new data.

With latency of just a few milliseconds, data can be requested and delivered within the processing time of a single frame, or at worst for the next frame. This is in stark contrast to a hard drive, where the same process can typically take up to 250ms. What this means is that data can be handled by the console in a very different way - a more efficient way. "I'm still working on games. I was a producer on Marvel's Spider-Man, Death Stranding and The Last Guardian," says Mark Cerny. "My work was on a mixture of creative and technical issues - so I pick up a lot of insight as to how systems are working in practice."

One of the biggest issues is how long it takes to retrieve data from the hard drive and what this means for developers. "Let's say an enemy is going to yell something as it dies, which can be issued as an urgent cut-in-front-of-everybody else request, but it's still very possible that it takes 250 milliseconds to get the data back due to all of the other game and operating requests in the pipeline," Cerny explains. "That 250 milliseconds is a problem because if the enemy is going to yell something as it dies, it needs to happen pretty much instantaneously; this kind of issue is what forces a lot of data into RAM on PlayStation 4 and its generation."

PS5's SSD is based on a 12-channel interface to individual NAND flash chips combined with a custom flash controller.
In short, to get instant access to urgent data, more of it needs to be stored in RAM on the current generation consoles - opening the door to a huge efficiency saving for next-gen. The SSD alleviates a lot of the burden simply because data can be requested as it's needed as opposed to caching a bunch of it that the console may need... but may not. There are further efficiency savings because duplication is no longer needed. Much of a hard drive's latency is a factor of the fact that a mechanical head is moving around the surface of the drive platter. Finding data can take as long - or longer - as reading it. Therefore, the same data is often duplicated hundreds of times simply to ensure that the drive is occupied with reading data as opposed to wasting time looking for it (or "seeking" it).

"Marvel's Spider-Man is a good example of the city block strategy. There are higher LOD and lower LOD representations for about a thousand blocks. If something is used a lot it's in those bundles of data a lot," says Cerny.

Without duplication, drive performance drops through the floor - a target 50MB/s to 100MB/s of data throughput collapsed to just 8MB/s in one game example Cerny looked at. Duplication massively increases throughput, but of course, it also means a lot of wasted space on the drive. For Marvel's Spider-Man, Insomniac came up with an elegant solution, but once again, it leaned heavily on using RAM.

"Telemetry is vital in spotting issues with such a system, for example, telemetry showed that the city database jumped in size by a gigabyte overnight. It turned out the cause was 1.6MB of trash bags - that's not a particularly large asset - but the trash bags happened to be included in 600 city blocks," explains Mark Cerny. "The Insomniac rule is that any asset used more than four hundred times is resident in RAM, so the trash bags were moved there, though clearly there's a limit to how many assets can reside in RAM."

It's another example of how the SSD could prove transformative to next-gen titles. The install size of a game will be more optimal because duplication isn't needed; those trash bags only need to exist once on the SSD - not hundreds or thousands of times - and would never need to be resident in RAM. They will load with latency and transfer speeds that are a couple of orders of magnitude faster, meaning a 'just in time' approach to data delivery with less caching.

Behind the scenes, the SSD's dedicated Kraken compression block, DMA controller, coherency engines and I/O co-processors ensure that developers can easily tap into the speed of the SSD without requiring bespoke code to get the best out of the solid-state solution. A significant silicon investment in the flash controller ensures top performance: the developer simply needs to use the new API. It's a great example of a piece of technology that should deliver instant benefits, and won't require extensive developer buy-in to utilise it.

onQ123

This is even better than I thought because they said it load data from the SSD in time to render it in the same frame or be there for the next frame . I was thinking of it loading up enough data in a second that could be used over the next second of game play.

pottuvoi

Banned
This is even better than I thought because they said it load data from the SSD in time to render it in the same frame or be there for the next frame . I was thinking of it loading up enough data in a second that could be used over the next second of game play.
Yup, we should see a lot more fine grained streaming in next generation.
I wonder if we will see meshlet level streaming of objects in some cases..

BeardGawd

Banned
So essentially it would be 2 frames instead of 1 frame for the XSX. Out of a 30/60fps game that's not some huge difference between both consoles. The "game changer" is compared to previous consoles.

onQ123

So essentially it would be 2 frames instead of 1 frame for the XSX. Out of a 30/60fps game that's not some huge difference between both consoles. The "game changer" is compared to previous consoles.

Not exactly because MS haven't said how they will be managing the memory we know that they said they will have 100GB virtual RAM.

I would guess that they will load stuff in within the same frame also but instead of 90MB raw per frame in a 60fps game they will load 40MB raw per frame in a 60fps game.

That's if they will be using the SSD & memory the same way as Sony because they could be filling the RAM with data for what might happen in the next 6 seconds or so being that the games are also Xbox One games.

ZywyPL

Banned
Something is wrong with your brain at this point to keep saying it's only loading time when the info is right there in your face

There's no concrete information so far, just purely theoretical possibilities/buzzwords, not backed up by anything, no practical applications, no slides, no screenshots, no videos, no gameplays, no nothing. Oh right, there's actually that one loading time comparison from Spider Man, so why do you get so triggered when people mention the only evidence they actually saw?

onQ123

There's no concrete information so far, just purely theoretical possibilities/buzzwords, not backed up by anything, no practical applications, no slides, no screenshots, no videos, no gameplays, no nothing. Oh right, there's actually that one loading time comparison from Spider Man, so why do you get so triggered when people mention the only evidence they actually saw?

That same demo also showed how you can swing through the city faster without having to slowdown because the data could be streamed in faster.

Leyasu

Banned
With that in mind what was once the limit that a dev could use per load screen without data streaming can now be streamed in every second. that's 90MB each frame , a RAW file from a 24MP camera is around 25MB so the level of detail that could be pushed to the screen could be insane.

PS4 HDD could only stream around 2MB per frame in a 60 fps game .
FP16 or bust...

ZywyPL

Banned
That same demo also showed how you can swing through the city faster without having to slowdown because the data could be streamed in faster.

But not every hame is Wipeout, actually, almost all of them aren't. I read a sarcastic comment today that PS5 doesn't need ultra fast streaming because of how slow the characters move, but as funny as it sounds its actually true. They are aiming for that immersive/realistic, hence slow experience, so I'm really looking forward if/how that supposedly game-changing streaming will be utilized in their 1st party games.

onQ123

Ok, what else is it going to do? Please explain the real world game changing benefits that it will bring?

I'm pretty sure I have already talked about being able to load things in as they are needed so you can make the best of the RAM , on PS4 that 5.5GB of RAM had to store large sections of a game just in cause but PS5 can load it in on a moments notice.

Example: GTA like game where you're going through the city you can pass by a building without loading the insides of that building into RAM unless you open the door , meaning that the RAM can be used for what you see & not what you might see. When you do go into a building the RAM can be used for what's in that one room so you will have higher quality assets on the screen because you have more room in the RAM for them.

But not every hame is Wipeout, actually, almost all of them aren't. I read a sarcastic comment today that PS5 doesn't need ultra fast streaming because of how slow the characters move, but as funny as it sounds its actually true. They are aiming for that immersive/realistic, hence slow experience, so I'm really looking forward if/how that supposedly game-changing streaming will be utilized in their 1st party games.

Even if you're walking slow being able to stream higher quality assets in as you go will make a difference. Using 5GB to cover 100 square feet will look better than using 5GB to cover 10,000 square feet.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's another example of how the SSD could prove transformative to next-gen titles. The install size of a game will be more optimal because duplication isn't needed; those trash bags only need to exist once on the SSD - not hundreds or thousands of times - and would never need to be resident in RAM. They will load with latency and transfer speeds that are a couple of orders of magnitude faster, meaning a 'just in time' approach to data delivery with less caching.

As someone who was bitching, and highly concerned about the insane amount of space modern games are taking up, and wherever we would be headed next-gen, this is pretty fantastic news.

If things are really being duplicated hundreds of times, couldn’t we expect a pretty substantial storage savings, at the very least? I guess it depends on how detailed next-gen assets are, but still.

Leyasu

Banned
I'm pretty sure I have already talked about being able to load things in as they are needed so you can make the best of the RAM , on PS4 that 5.5GB of RAM had to store large sections of a game just in cause but PS5 can load it in on a moments notice.

Example: GTA like game where you're going through the city you can pass by a building without loading the insides of that building into RAM unless you open the door , meaning that the RAM can be used for what you see & not what you might see. When you do go into a building the RAM can be used for what's in that one room so you will have higher quality assets on the screen because you have more room in the RAM for them.

Even if you're walking slow being able to stream higher quality assets in as you go will make a difference. Using 5GB to cover 100 square feet will look better than using 5GB to cover 10,000 square feet.
No matter which everyone turns it, everything just boils down to faster loading

Top Bottom