• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the "Destiny 2 looks like DLC" crowd. Why?

mcrommert

Banned
Ok, here are my thoughts. First off, I do not care what people think as I did not buy Destiny 1 and will likely not buy Destiny 2. As for why people think Destiny 2 looks like an expansion, a lot of the bolded from the quote above could be patched into the game, like many games that rework mechanics/systems as the game ages. The italicized from the quote above could easily be added to a game in an expansion.

Now, plenty of people will say that yes many of those things could be patched/added to destiny one but so could a lot of stuff that is in sequels! I understand and agree with that point, but I think the main problem with that argument is that Bungie sold Destiny as being a 10 year game so they sort of expect a continuously updated game (like WoW) rather than a brand new game that does not allow for them to carry their character over. Sure, if Destiny existed on a previous gen, where patching was not that common (especially large patches), I could understand the need for a sequel but with the current console generation all of this could easily be patches/content additions to Destiny 1.

Now, if you still argue that Bungie still has the right to release a new game ok, but again, many people were expecting a 10 year game and being told that a sequel is coming caused many to think this meant a big change in the general format of the game to more closely resemble what Bungie initially promised.

Basically, I understand the frustration of ardent destiny fans that say people are being harsh on the game. That being said, Bungie initally pitched Destiny as a 10 year game, so people hoped for something that could be continuously updated, but then when they announced that the sequel would not allow you to carry over your character they expected something drastically different than the current game and were disappointed when the sequel looked pretty similar to the first game in terms of structure.

That is my take anyway. Not saying I am necessarily right.

I stopped reading

Yam's

No new class, no new enemy, only 4 areas (even if they're bigger I was expecting more areas for more variety in a sequel, specially when they're reusing so many assets).

I don't doubt I'll enjoy it as I did for Destiny 1, but for the time being it doesn't feel like the big sequel I was hoping for.

Also after their stance on dlc and microtransactions in 1, I'm afraid we'll have to wait for its end cycle to get the full experience.

Drewboy64

Just look at the Inverted Spire strike gameplay. None of it presents anything new - we're still fighting the same enemies, and it's still very linear level design - no alternate paths, no mechanics that really take advantage of the co-op play the way there are in the raid. And on top of that, there were no cutscenes or any cinematics - just your ship flying as you load into the strike, and when you load in, it's zavala doing a voice over. That doesn't scream "cinematic campaign" to me.

Also, we haven't seen enough, but lots of the playspaces still look like the same sort of dark, narrow corridors, rather than more open/sprawling environments that would give it more of an open world feel.

I actually think the improvements to the play spaces have a lot of potential, and the opening level was great. But I'm still incredibly skeptical, given how great D1 looked initially.

XandBosch

I guess I was hoping that the sequel would be more like what they made the first one out to be. Instead it just looks like the first one (disappointing), but different.

I was hoping the sequel jump would be more akin to Assassin's Creed 1 to 2, or even Borderlands 1 to 2. Instead it looks more like Splatoon 1 to 2, except Splatoon 1 wasn't a huge disappointment, it was an out-of-nowhere success, and because no one really played it (being strung to dying hardware) a brand new game that's not THAT different sort of makes sense. This just looks like it could've/should've been Destiny 1 DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSQZKkmetU

Same designs, same AI patterns, same models.

Entirely new models, Entirely different designs and I doubt you can prove the AI patterns from that video.

Those models do not exist in D1 sorry.

The faction of cabal here (The red legion) are not present in D1 at all. The standard units 100% have new models as the have a weak section at the back, Then on top of that there's at least the "Dogs", The ones with cleavers and the new ultra unit models and textures.

Additionally the Vex have new models here too.

Destiny 2
u3ujjte0enil6qqeh7ct.png

Destiny 1
1413206492e_vex.png

Visually similar yes but they certainly are not reused assets

If your complaint is that they look the same then I don't understand what you wanted. Them to radically alter their visual style?

Departures have even been made. We have never seen Vex that look like the Vex on the left here.

d2strikeheroic02-editpng.png

Then what would have needed to change or get added and still keep the game a "Destiny" game? To be honest, we saw 10 minutes (45 if you count content captured by youtube/twitch streamers at the event) of a game that intended for people to spend hundreds of hours in. What on earth makes everyone think that Bungie has given away the farm with this reveal? They showed off gameplay with a little story prelude. We don't even know if the ultimate boogie-man in the game is really this Gaol character or not. We only know what they wanted to tell us and really did was set up the story. We have no clue what happens or where it happens next.

Even the map they showed had plenty of open space for new planets to be added as they are discovered. I'd bet the 4 areas they showed are only what's available at the outset of the game.

In my opinion, it's absolutely insane (assuming you're a Destiny fan, of course) to have anything resembling a final opinion of Destiny 2 at this point. Not once did Luke and Co. say, "welp...there it is. All of it."

Nothing about the reveal makes me want to spend or even consider spending hundreds of hours playing Destiny 2. As a background, I own the legendary edition of Destiny, I played it for a bit, I've got one max level character but never got too deep into the game because I don't really know anyone that's an active player and I was never obsessed with the whole loot aspect, in addition to that I was locked out of a lot of the games content because of poor matchmaking.

While they've remedied some of those problems, a lot of the core ones are the same at least for players like me who aren't down for RNG and running the same content day in day out for shiny weapons. The game itself just isn't that interesting. The core gameplay is great, it's a blast to play, but:
The level design is uninteresting
the boss design is piss poor encounter wise
you're fighting the same exact enemies with maybe 1 or 2 new variants per faction
Story content still seems to be sparse
even the raid and nightfall content is looking sparse at least at launch

and if it's going to follow the same route Destiny 1 did with its paid expansions then I'm not sure I'm all that interested now that the hype has worn off.
Sure there could be more, but I don't really have any reason to give them to benefit of the doubt after Destiny 1 and this poor showing, it's also not my job to sell me on their game, its theirs. It just looks like a continuation of Destiny 1 without fixing many of its fundamental problems, which is what a lot of us were looking for and I don't want to pay for 2-3 games for 1 games worth of content, especially for an MMO-lite.

Entirely new models, Entirely different designs and I doubt you can prove the AI patterns from that video.

The faction of cabal here (The red legion) are not present in D1 at all. The standard units 100% have new models as the have a weak section at the back, Then on top of that there's at least the "Dogs", The ones with cleavers and the new ultra unit models and textures.

Destiny 2
u3ujjte0enil6qqeh7ct.png

Destiny 1
1413206492e_vex.png

If your complaint is that they look the same then I don't understand what you wanted. Them to radically alter their visual style?

Departures have even been made. We have never seen Vex that look like the Vex on the left here.

and yet they still play the exact same as they did in the first game, and outside of those special bosses, the Vex are entirely identical with the only thing different about them is the slight redesign of the crest.

Destiny 1 was way smaller than they first claimed so you would think Destiny 2 not being cross gen would actually sell their original scale of vision

Instead it doesn't look much better than the last DLC and much of it sounds like tweaks to the cross gen original in what we have learned is not much of a story appeal brand and instead is supposed to wow us with gameplay and world content to explore

This is what my problem is with it. As someone who was left feeling incredibly disappointed with the way they launched Destiny 1, with no review copies because of bullshit reasons, no social options, and a product that was basically a bare bones shell for DLC, Destiny 2 should be leaving me much more reassured.

It should be making me feel like hell yeah, I'm excited, they nailed it, they learned from all the problems with the first game and it just doesn't feel like that right now. Also the some of the logic behind the weird and arrogant decisions that seemed to fill that first game still seem like they're there to a small extent. The dedicated servers interview gave me some real Destiny 1 flashbacks.

ExVicis

You're right. Halo 2 looked like Halo and Destiny 2 looks like Destiny, I think everything is fine.

Not really, the color palettes alone were vastly different. Either way though, don't let us take away from your enjoyment. I hope you get whatever's game's Gjallarhorn is early on and you have a great time with the game.

No new class, no new enemy, only 4 areas (even if they're bigger I was expecting more areas for more variety in a sequel, specially when they're reusing so many assets).

I don't doubt I'll enjoy it as I did for Destiny 1, but for the time being it doesn't feel like the big sequel I was hoping for.

Also after their stance on dlc and microtransactions in 1, I'm afraid we'll have to wait for its end cycle to get the full experience.

People can keep repeating this all you want, but it's actually not true. We don't know there's no new enemies and we have no idea about anything about the 4 planets.

Zakalwe

Banned
The first bullet point you listed was "a rework of subclasses." Not exactly a barnstormer of a headline, is it?

Destiny 2 looks like it will be a good sequel that corrects the many issues the first game had and builds on the good ideas it had, but I really can't blame people for feeling underwhelmed by the reveal. A huge chunk of what they showed was essentially quality of life stuff - good changes, to be sure! - and not the sort of bombshell changes some people might expect from a sequel.

Because most of these games were shown off immediately showing off their huge changes. Uncharted 2 immediately upped the ante with its graphics and story presentation. Halo 2 showed off dual wielding and added online multiplayer. Borderlands 2 addressed complaints about the blandness of the first game's setting by immediately showing off more varied environments. Mirror's Edge 2 was shown off as open world rather than linear.

Regardless of how you feel about any of the above sequels, they all leaned into their changes in presentations/marketing/etc. So far, all of Destiny 2's improvements seem incremental. That's not a knock against the game really, because there are a lot of places where incremental changes could massively improve on Destiny's good ideas, but don't pretend "subclass reworks/new strikes, the things you did all the time in the first game" are going to wow everyone out of the gate.

Fine, as long as others don't pretend many great sequels have been incremental.

A sequel with refinements and qol additions without huge changes can still be a great sequel.

We all know this, so the 'expansion pack' comments are not coming from a constructive place.

The Goat

Because to the casual Destiny player who didn't spent a lot of time with it, it looks like largely more of the same

As someone who spent 500+ hours with D1, it looks like more of the same. Like I mentioned in another thread, there are a lot of under the hood type tweaks, but what you see looks nearly identical. Fighting the same old enemies.

I look forward to exploring the new areas, but even then, it looks mostly samey. The game feels like a complete reuse of resources and art from the previous game. I think that lends to the Destiny 1.5 and DLC comments.

Seik

Banned
It's the very same debate as when people called Splatoon 2 a fucking port. :lol

There's a 2 in the title, open your eyes, look at it and absorb the reality of what that number implies, ffs.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm completely destroyed and changed a world infinitely bigger than the one in Destiny and has balancing changes bigger than what you described with literally every expansion.

Yes but the systems themselves did not change, this is what I'm saying. The game could not be balanced using the current weapon systems, which is why all special weapons are now in the "heavy" slot for D2. The new mission/strike/patrol mechanics could not be implemented.

Are you serious with this shit? In just two screenshots there's a completely new resource pool in the form of the 'mana bar'.

That alone is a bigger mechanical addition than what Destiny 2 has shown.

I would argue that's untrue - the changes to guns (primaries being kinetic, secondaries being elemental, special weapons being done away with and moved to a power weapon slot) are just as big a mechanical change as the mana bar.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm a huge destiny fan. Destiny 2 does look like destiny 1. This doesn't upset me but people complaining about it certainly have grounds to feel that way. I was hoping for new enemies or even new allies personally.
I'm with you. More Destiny sounds great to me, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed with what was shown. On top of the lack of new enemies shown, the graphical leap wasn't as big as I had hoped, but if that's due to substantially larger play zones then I understand.

Arrrammis

Was that even developed by the main team? We know they hired on another dev and there were rumours about a skeleton crew working on updates and such.

The main team developed the base game and Taken King expansion (TTK headed by Luke Smith, who is in charge of D2). The other expansions/events were created by the "live team", the skeleton crew you're talking about. It's why I think Destiny 2 is going to be a lot more different from Destiny than people think, even if the universe is the same or similar to D1: The main team has proven that they know what they're doing.

Destiny was basically torn down and rebuilt with the taken King DLC. That's the reason why a lot of people I chat about it with in the Destiny community see a distinct split in "before-TTK" and "post-TTK". The raid systems, storylines, subclasses, strike and crucible playlists, endgame weapons, bounties, events, EVERYTHING changed. Taken King was as close to redesigning Destiny as it could be without starting from scratch. Now, with Destiny 2, they're developing knowing exactly what works and what doesn't, and including a coherent story at launch. that's why I'm excited to see what they do.

Drewboy64

Destiny 2
u3ujjte0enil6qqeh7ct.png

Destiny 1
1413206492e_vex.png

The issue isn't whether the models are different, it's whether the enemies presented in the game are actually different. The models of the covenant changed from Halo 1 to Halo 2, but nobody thinks of the Elites or Grunts in Halo 2 as different.

The Brutes and Drones, on the other hand, were entirely new enemies with new mechanics.

Since most of these enemies function largely the same (will those big vex still feel like bullet sponges? Or will they be more interesting?), even with new models, they don't feel any different. But also, I think people were expecting an entirely new race of enemies

Here is a list of things I think would have people way more excited about than just showing us what they did:

The new sublcasses should either have been a fourth subclass for each Class, or a brand new Class entirely. Either of these would make people very excited.

Show off new enemies. I saw some weird demon dog thing during the presentation. Show that off. I would like to think each enemy group is getting at least two new unit types. Show those off. People liked seeing the Brutes, Buzzers, Flood Pure Forms, Skirmishers, and Engineers. It gave them ideas of how new encounters can be more dynamic.

Show us more of whatever that Tank thing was. Was that a PvE only vehicle? Was it Guardian or Cabal? If the former, then they should definitely have shown it off.

That new PvP mode should have been given a run down during the presentation. I don't like the idea of having to guess which streamer might be playing PvP and just sort of watch to figure it out.

I mean, old Halos typically added new weapons, new vehicles, and new enemy units. These things alone got people excited. Even of this short list alone, we've only really seen 1 of these 3 things, and weren't even given any proper information about them.

You really make some great points that back up why people view this as "DLC". Obviously it isn't, and that statement is about as hyperbolic as when people say XYZ games look like PS1 games. But yeah, the things that Bungie didn't show are what might change opinions about the game.

We saw brief glimpses of that tank and the dog enemy, we got some brief lip service about new patrol zones and not returning to orbit. Actually showing that stuff in action would/will go a long way towards justifying why the game is a sequel. At the very least, I kind of wish they gave us a content roadmap for when they'll talk about certain things.

Sou Da

I would argue that's untrue - the changes to guns (primaries being kinetic, secondaries being elemental, special weapons being done away with and moved to a power weapon slot) are just as big a mechanical change as the mana bar.

I disagree, I think an equivalent change would be something like the addition of an ability slot.

This is getting extremely pedantic. We get it, you're excited for Destiny 2, that's fine. You're not going to convince people with stuff like this.

I understand but this was merely refuting false claims of reused assets because it's not true.

Tu101uk

I think what it boils down to is what people prefer when it comes to sequels - whether they should be iterative or just completely change up the formula.

I myself am a huge believer in iterative "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach. Of course the previous iteration wasn't perfect, that's why you make improvements to the areas that needed attention. Changes tend to be less noticeable but just as meaningful, and only the hardcore fans of the previous iteration will notice them. Destiny and Splatoon are two series where they sold very well and the gameplay was lauded, so big sweeping changes weren't required in the eyes of the developer, just tweaks and little surprises to freshen things up. I don't like change for the sake of change - just improve on what needed improving, then add more.

I know that many others prefer a sequel to be different - perhaps they didn't get into the previous iteration or they didn't like it for some reason, so they hope that a sequel will morph the game into something that they would be more likely to play. The massive changes to the way a game plays may please newcomers and casuals, but may in turn put off the hardcore from returning to the game (too many changes in Titanfall 2 for me, as an example).

As a keen fighting game enthusiast, I've seen various series that approach it both ways - Street Fighter and BlazBlue tend to follow the "change everything" approach to sequels and hope everyone jumps onboard, whereas Tekken and Guilty Gear likes to keep things familiar for veterans whilst trying to offer smaller changes for newcomers.

Whichever camp you belong to, someone's gonna be disappointed. I'm very happy with Splatoon 2 and I'm sorta satisfied with Destiny 2's showing, but I can see why others wouldn't be impressed.

Why are people so sure there are no new enemies? They could very well appear in the storyline and they just didn't want to spoil things yet.

Nabbis

I think people who keep comparing this to WoW and reaching a conclusion that WoW expansions are comparable in content additions need to lay off the koolaid or better yet actually have a history with playing WoW.

Even the first expansion introduced new races, new levels, completely new content without much asset reuse, all classes got new abilities and complete mechanical overhauls, flying, multiple raids at launch and new expanded(not destroyed) PvP systems. Take into account that all that did not make most of the old content obsolete but build upon it as an extension.

"But monthly subscription!" Yeah, about that. What the hell do you think Destiny expansions represent? 40 bucks for additions that are similar to a patch update in WoW and even throwing in microtransactions into the game.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
When I watched the new strike footage and noticed they once again had to deploy a ghost and wait a few before progressing, I was instantly turned off.

ExVicis

It's the very same debate as when people called Splatoon 2 a fucking port. :lol

There's a 2 in the title, open your eyes, look at it and absorb the reality of what that number implies, ffs.
This isn't Splatoon 2 so I don't see how that really has any bearing.

I will say though the lack of any new enemy shown not Cabal, Vex, Hive or Fallen regardless is disappointing. Also the lack of new boss fighting mechanics is also disappointing.

I don't know about what Splatoon 2 has but I know people were tyring to tear down the Dark Souls sequels for not being different at all, but even in Dark Souls bosses had way new mechanics such as the transform feature or being all out brawls amongst multiple NPCs. Meanwhile Destiny still has the same old tired bullet sponges.

Maybe I'm missing something here but this seems like a really silly complaint.

Just off the top of my head

A complete rework of at least 3 sub classes
A complete rework of the weapon loadout
An entirely new story
Improved Graphics
4 entirely new locations
A slew of new strikes
A slew of new MP maps
A reworking of game currency
A reworking of multiplayer across the board
LFG systems and Guilds
Friendly AI characters during gameplay
Improvements to how activities can be launched
Entirely new loot
At least 3 new weapon archetypes
+more I'm very likely missing

Someone list the additions of the Witcher 3 expansions. Or the Dark Souls expansions. I would bet you money it would look like a VERY similar list.

To that you add the fact that graphically it doesnt look much different.

Hence the expansion crowd. You might disagree, but its not hard to understand.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm completely destroyed and changed a world infinitely bigger than the one in Destiny and has balancing changes bigger than what you described with literally every expansion. If the only reason for this being a sequel instead of a 40$ expansion is "We had to re-work the backend", I really don't see how that works in your argument's favor (or, really, why consuments should even care).
You guys seriously need to stop comparing this to wow. Wow expansions are like sequels. There's no wow 2, 3, etc. because the expansions are sequels.

oneils

I don't see anything that screams this is Destiny 2.

Then again i'm not the audience they're interested in. I'm not a potential buyer.

I think this might be their biggest problem. If you are not already a fan of destiny, I'm not seeing how this draws you in. The lfg stuff won't help unless they show it off soon. They taylored the reveal to existing fans. Which is totally fine. But they have to build new ones too. I'm sure that fewer than 100% of current owners will buy it, so they need to convince new people that this is a better and newer game.

btags

You guys seriously need to stop comparing this to wow. Wow expansions are like sequels. There's no wow 2, 3, etc. because the expansions are sequels.

Exactly. Whether you (or Bungie) agree with it or not people will ask why you couldn't do the same with Destiny.

Drewboy64

Someone list the additions of the Witcher 3 expansions. Or the Dark Souls expansions. I would bet you money it would look like a VERY similar list.

Yup. A big part of this is also the value of the game. Witcher 3, without any of the DLC, was packed full of content and hours of unique gameplay - not just repetitive grinding. Considering how substantial the DLC was, it's easy to see why people were upset with many of the D1 updates, and are feeling skeptical of D2.

The issue isn't whether the models are different, it's whether the enemies presented in the game are actually different. The models of the covenant changed from Halo 1 to Halo 2, but nobody thinks of the Elites or Grunts in Halo 2 as different.

The Brutes and Drones, on the other hand, were entirely new enemies with new mechanics.

That was not the complaint I was address but sure I see where you're coming from.

To be fair to Halo 2 Brutes has 1 level of interaction with the player and Drones are present in maybe 4 sections of the game.

If you want a direct comparison to what little we have seen of Destiny 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra1GlrLj8bM

This video has at least 3 never before seen Cabal Units, Rush down Melee focused cabal with swords, Flying cabal and the quadrupedal swarming "war beasts".

There's an incredibly dumb attitude in gaming that everything has to evolve drastically. It's a cancerous attitude.

I think it's mostly just the people who were extremely disappointed and completely scammed by Bungie with Destiny not willing to take any more shit about it. The people zealously defending every little nitpick certainly doesn't help keep the tone of the discourse down. It's a massively popular game that massively disappointed a lot of people. Some people just have a hard time dealing with that I guess.

I'm pretty sure the second Witcher 3 expansion had some significant graphical improvements as well. At least significant in comparison to the jump from Destiny to Destiny 2.

Pizza

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm completely destroyed and changed a world infinitely bigger than the one in Destiny and has balancing changes bigger than what you described with literally every expansion. If the only reason for this being a sequel instead of a 40$ expansion is "We had to re-work the backend", I really don't see how that works in your argument's favor (or, really, why consuments should even care).

This! This is why Destiny 2 feels like it's halfassed to me

Edit: in an effort to contribute, I feel like nothing presented here warrants trashing all the content and progress from 1. Like this purchase is going to have more purchases stacked on top until destiny 3 when they have you do it all again

oneils

But you just continue your current progress, in wow, don't you? You can still go visit those old areas and twink out characters in those areas. Won't be able to do that in destiny 2.

I think it's mostly just the people who were extremely disappointed and completely scammed by Bungie with Destiny not willing to take any more shit about it. The people zealously defending every little nitpick certainly doesn't help keep the tone of the discourse down. It's a massively popular game that massively disappointed a lot of people. Some people just have a hard time dealing with that I guess.

You not liking the game as it was released doesn't mean its a scam or fraud.

Not that I agree or disagree, but I'm not entirely sure why that would matter.

Destiny could have just as easily not had sequels, and kept having expansions as well.

But you just continue your current progress, in wow, don't you? You can still go visit those old areas and twink out characters in those areas. Won't be able to do that in destiny 2.

It's almost like WoW is an MMO and Destiny isn't or something.

I disagree, I think an equivalent change would be something like the addition of an ability slot.

Titans now have a deployable cover

Hunters now have a combat roll

Warlocks now have deployable "sigil" to buff or heal.

We don't know if this will be different for different sub classes, These are new and mapped to either "O" or "B"

Except you know

Wow expansions dont destroy all the progress you have made nor do they take away everything you have earned, and they dont lock you iut of running/playing old content.

Destiny 2
u3ujjte0enil6qqeh7ct.png

Destiny 1
1413206492e_vex.png

I was hoping to never see vex again. Most boring strikes and people always leave lol.

Top Bottom