• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To the Splinter Cell diehards, would you be pleased to see the rumored new Splinter Cell return to form, with pure hardcore stealth gameplay?

mortal

Gold Member
Or perhaps you found yourself enjoying the more recent action oriented entries. What are hopes for the next Splinter Cell experience?

Mista

Banned
Yeah I’ll take a new SC returning to its roots. This whole Max Payne didn’t work out much for me

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Yeah I’ll take a new SC returning to its roots. This whole Max Payne didn’t work out much for me
It became the tonal equivalent of the Bourne films haha.

It found it to be rather jarring and shifting away from the design philosophies that the series established at its inception.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Chaos Theory was an awesome game. My fave SC, and the only one I've beaten multiple times. Gimme more of that.
Agreed. Make the stealth as hardcore as possible. I'm not interested in insane set pieces or explosions or all out gun fights. Build on Chaos Theory.

D3SCHA1N

While I believe SC:CT is the pinnacle of the series, I could appreciate how the newer games made you more capable when stealth was broken. I definitely have no desire for the return of "mission failed: you've been detected" moments, at the same time I think stealth should be the primary focus and the game should never encourage shootouts.

Splinter Cell: GAAS Theory
hhh.png

Strider311

No. Give me more Conviction/Blacklist and I’m good to go. I love all Splinter Cell, but the last two are my favorites by far.

prag16

Banned
Blacklist lets you play in a more action oriented way, but you can still do a 100% stealth run. I especially liked the Grimm side missions. Blacklist was a step in the right direction imo; best Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory. More Blacklist would be fine by me. Don't really want to see another Conviction.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
It’s a tough one... I LOVE classic splinter cell and stealth games, and don’t see enough of them. So good.

But I also enjoyed Conviction, and thought it was a solid outing. I can certainly understand why fans didn’t like it however.

As for the last one... that stuff can just die. They didn’t even try, it was just some weird action game.

So I would say yes, make it pure stealth, no multiplayer, and like the old days.

On a side note... Ironside is back for this one isn’t he?

Melon Husk

Yes. The last two don't belong to the same genre as the first four #notmysplintercell

And they weren't that hardcore. Violent runs were an option but it'd get you killed fast because the weapon handling was terrible.

Ballthyrm

If we could have bullets that kill you that'll be great.
Also stealth game should have the most advanced AI imaginable.
If i'm here in the shadows , waiting, looking at them, at least make them entertaining to watch.

Chaos Theory was awesome because it was the first game in the series where you COULD go loud. It didn't have the instant fail states for blowing stealth that the first two games had. Instant fail states is a big no-no for me, it damn near killed the entire Assassin's Creed series in my book.

bati

I don't know, I really enjoyed Blacklist and part of that was that it enabled the player to somewhat recover on fumbles, by still being able to knock out enemies if you were fast enough, even after they turned. It turned the game from all or nothing into a more organic stealth experience.

And crouch sprint was the best thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yes, double agent was the last really good game. Needs to get back to that. The graphics in double agent were way ahead of Blacklist too. They also need Ironside doing vo.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Blacklist was cool and I enjoyed the game, but none of the more recent games can compare to the original stealth gameplay. Absolutely.

Roni

Gold Member
While Conviction was a travesty, Blacklist was good enough. They should continue from there.

Verdanth

Give me full stealth.

We have alternatives in the Tom Clancy's games that cover the action part.

Full stealth is the way to go, specially with MGS death and buried.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I hope the series returns to it's roots. I also hope it won't be open-world. Maybe MGS: Ground Zeroes like open levels but not open-world.

Paasei

Yes.

Isn't that why we are die hard fans? I liked Blacklist quite a lot, though. The stealth gameplay was very solid in my opinion. Could've been more hardcore as well but it was good enough for me.

Breakage

Look at SC1 and Chaos Theory for inspiration.
No open world, more evening and night-time levels, more urban environments, less Ghost Recon military stuff.

Sygma

Or perhaps you found yourself enjoying the more recent action oriented entries. What are hopes for the next Splinter Cell experience?

yes yes yes yes

Anything close to SC 1 and Chaos Theory is an immediate buy. Blacklist had great moments too but it didn't feel the same. Splinter Cell really was one of the first military stealth game to actually explore the whole light / shadow thing with believable gadgets, was phenomenal back then

Last edited:

Verchod

I've enjoyed every single Splinter cell, but I'd love one that's more like the original three. But I'd keep the movement style and gadgets from the most recent one. I do wish they'd be less linear though. I've played through the first four games this year, including both versions of double agent and you do notice There's only one route through the levels.
Maybe the levels should be more like the recent Hitman games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Blacklist was great to stealth, do that with a better story and more missions (I dunno why there weren't more stand alone like that yacht), some of them bigger and more complex, and I'll be happy. Better than MGSV in my opinion even with its shortcomings (far less of those than MGSV) even though MGS1 is among my top games and I always liked the approach of attention to detail in MGS with the systems, AI behaviours and all that jazz which Splinter Cell seemed to avoid. I really hope they don't try the open world approach or otherwise ruin what they fixed with Blacklist.

Oh and if we can play the whole thing in FPV with lean and crouch in place of wallhugs that would be great (the Briggs FPV missions in Blacklist showed great promise, they only artificially deactivated some stealth skills that could otherwise be worked in to differentiate him from Sam).

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
More like the original three. Seemed like they were heading in that direction with Blacklist. Do that and I'd be a happy camper.

Blacklist is the best SC game. It's not even close.

It has the option to play stealth lethal, action, or complete ghost runs on all levels. It has great multiplayer in multiple modes.

Hell, I'd be fine with just a remaster for PS4.

anthraticus

Banned
Blacklist lets you play in a more action oriented way, but you can still do a 100% stealth run..
You can, but when you don't need to be stealthy, it takes a lot of the intensity away when you know if things go wrong you always have that fallback plan of just blasting your way out of shit.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If you take stealth geared loadouts (and/or maybe aren't so great at action games) it's easy to die when you mess up your stealth in higher difficulties. I think it's a good balance. The loadouts in particular mean you commit before you start the mission rather than force yourself during.

It's not like MGSV with OSP and also the shooting in Blacklist isn't quite as universally intuitive, the way the recoil and everything else works you aren't gonna be lining up headshots or bazooka explosions all over like you can do in MGSV. It's a very different approach.

I guess they could improve that in the sequel, have it so your funds are more limited, so when you commit on what to research and unlock in terms of stealth vs shootbang kits and gear that also affects you big time, it was easy to unlock everything in Blacklist.

Last edited:
Blacklist is like Conviction they're great games... IF they was called "24 the game" as a Splinter Cell game? their single player and specifically multiplayer were piss poor.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Blacklist on the hardest difficulty with the slowmo shit turned off is the second best sc game.

Pandora Tomorrow and the original are not terribly fun games in 2019. They are the definition of trial and error. Chaos Theory had the right idea introducing slight action elements like the shotgun, knife, e.t.c.

chigstoke

Imagine a Pandora Tomorrow like setting but on the next gen systems. I'd love to see the jungle style missions with the sunset like the first mission of that. The nighttime Israel mission etc...

Would look great, but like I said in the leaked E3 thread, give me a Chaos Theory style game and I will be happy.

BigBooper

Personally, I'd like it to be more like MGSV Ground Zeroes levels. I never loved the old games, but I did play them. The first time I thought they were really special was when I played the multiplayer in Pandora Tomorrow.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
As long as they bring back the feel of Chaos Theory's spies vs. mercs I'll be happy.

prag16

Banned
Set it to the hardest difficulty. You don't have that option.
This. If you set it to the hardest difficulty and claim you are able to take on an army John Woo style after failing a stealth attempt, you are probably lying in most situations. I played Blacklist on the second hardest and it was still tough (though that playthrough was on Wii U and I suck with dual analog).

Ulysses 31

Blacklist is the best SC game. It's not even close.

It has the option to play stealth lethal, action, or complete ghost runs on all levels. It has great multiplayer in multiple modes.

Hell, I'd be fine with just a remaster for PS4.
I liked Blacklist but I didn't like I couldn't kill anyone for the Ghost ranking. Never made sense that you'd want to keep all enemies alive as you progress through missions.

What is pure hardcore stealth anyway? Someone catches a glimpse of you and the mission fails?

Top Bottom