• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To this day no crime movie has been as epic as "Heat"

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
fe11deec3800a206b78b95634e80a106.jpg

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner”

Just did a rewatch last night, what an incredible film. In my opinion its the most "Epic" crime film ever (not necessarily the best or greatest though, one could argue that a few scorsese crime films are better and other films etc. etc.)

but i do think it is the most epic crime film ever in terms of scale. The representation of Los Angeles, the various subplots and characters that all fele properly developed and real human beings.

the soundtrack

It also has arguably the greatest shootout scene in cinema history, the gunsounds on surround sound are a wonder. There is a reason it is said that cops and military training have often looked at this scene

and of course the famous coffee shop scene, the first scene in cinematic history to feature Deniro and Pacino

Collateral is a great film, and I have often seen some people say it even surpasses Heat,. I wouldn't say that Heat is the greatest crime film ever, but in terms of sheer scale I have never seen a crime film before or after that has matched the ambition of Heat. I will always cherish this movie

P.S Michael Mann is releasing a novel that is both a prequel and sequel to Heat coming out next year

Gargus

Banned
It's almost a perfect movie. It's so well paced that even at almost 3 hours it barely feels like 2. Every character is addressed and feels like a real individual person. The story is tight and concise. Cast perfectly. And just overall very streamlined with no fat, it didn't need anymore or any less.

I just wish the ending had a little more to it. I can't quite put my finger on it exactly. It ended well but it felt like it was missing just a little something to be on par with the rest of the movie.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
It's almost a perfect movie. It's so well paced that even at almost 3 hours it barely feels like 2. Every character is addressed and feels like a real individual person. The story is tight and concise. Cast perfectly. And just overall very streamlined with no fat, it didn't need anymore or any less.

I just wish the ending had a little more to it. I can't quite put my finger on it exactly. It ended well but it felt like it was missing just a little something to be on par with the rest of the movie.
my friend tried to argue that Vincent should of left Neil go with Eady in the end and it would of been a better ending

Thanks Studiocanal for blocking these videos in my country. What did it do to you?

Anyway, I freaking LOVED that film when I first watched it a little over two years ago. The idea of the protagonist and antagonist meeting somewhere and having a discussion that doesn't lead to a fight is something I want to replicate in my future stories.

Gargus

Banned
my friend tried to argue that Vincent should of left Neil go with Eady in the end and it would of been a better ending

No way. Each man was a set in his way and determined to do what he had to do. That was the beauty of their meeting. Each one liked the other and probably would have been friends under other circumstances. But each one was also fixed on his end game and would do whatever it took to achieve that. They respected each other but neither could back down. In that regard it was perfect. One of them was going to have to go through the other. It was inevitable.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Hiest movies I think are also great

The score
Inside man
Breaking bad train scene
Jackie brown
Resivior dogs
Oceans 11

I can't think of a bank hiest movie as good though, the shoot scene is still the best in heat.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There was awhile when I thought Michael Mann could do no wrong.

Amazing film.

Yeah, I was gonna say this is when Michael Mann was good. Even Collateral, which is my favorite film of his was great, but had a terrible final 20-30 minutes.

But man... what in the FUCK was Blackhat? Complete and utter trash. Not sure what happened to Mann, but get back to what you do best, brother.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
There’s a reason once I got my surround system finally set up again in our new house the Heat blu ray was the first thing I put in (you know the scene)

It caused a marital disagreement on whether or not such a sound test was necessary, but there was agreement in the impressiveness of the performance

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This movie is an epic. I remember watching it when I was kid and turning a man after the credits rolled. I highly recommend it.

Such a great movie, even if ‘LA Takedown’ was the original template. 👍

just the perfect storm of a great cast and director and the rest (everybody brings their A game and that Ted Levine story just rocks 😎). Joined to a compelling story of 2 sides of the same coin (not just the cops n robbers stuff, but their personal lives being complete opposites and those journeys really shape the emotional core of the story).

beautifully shot and edited. the shootout may not be the best of all time, but it’s not far off (maybe early/mid Hong Kong woo?). But just how dreamy some seems to be, compared to how sharp and focussed others are ... (the aborted break in, Neil opening up, out on the balcony. Against the journey to get Waingro, or the docks seen (both sides)

just a movie that is not only so rewatchable, but actually gets better with each passing year 👍😎

Nymphae

Banned
It was weird, I was going to buy this the other day, but I didn't, then I saw this thread. Then I went to my parents house on the weekend, and my dad grabs a few DVDs for me and is like you should watch these, gives me Bullit and Heat.

Last edited:

Gp1

Sound design of this scene is what makes it great and is one of the best of all time simply because they used the recorded gunshots without too much post production.

Dural

Sound design of this scene is what makes it great and is one of the best of all time simply because they used the recorded gunshots without too much post production.

Yep, I'll never understand why Hollywood thinks they have to change the sound of firearms, they naturally sound fantastic. The actors did a good job handling the guns in the movie too, something you don't always see. Certain actors like Keanu Reeves and Steven Seagal know how to handle guns and it shows.

Ronin is right up there too!

The car chases in Ronin are still up there as some of the best ever.

Top Bottom