• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today breath of the wild is 5 yr. old

Ezquimacore

Banned
That's half a decade, that's a lot of time.
Here are:

22 MORE Things You STILL Didn't Know In Zelda Breath Of The Wild​

The game's freedom and interactivity is still unmatched even after all these years thanks to that amazing physics engine.
IMG_5921-1.jpg

for some the game is overrated, for many the game is a masterpiece on game design. Either way, we have been talking about this game every single day for the past five years. Celebrate by saying why you love this game so much! ( yes we already know you hate breakable weapons, the lack of music on the overworld and the lack of real dungeons)

Editaur

While I still don't get BOTW's praise in comparison to other Zelda games (dungeon wise) it's open world is much preferable to the kitchen sink game design we get every year.

When you give a game room to breathe and let the players discover things for themselves the journey is much more memorable.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I still remember getting my Switch from a GameStop that was located next to a Schlotzsky's, taking it there and grabbing a sandwich while I customized it and fired up the game, then having three or four hours vanish and the girl working there tapping me on the shoulder telling me they were closing. Lol.

This game was blew me away back in the day, and still manages to surprise me each time I revisit it. It's not without its faults, but I am amazed that Nintendo of all developers built an open world game like this back in 2017.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The game's freedom and interactivity is still unmatched even after all these years thanks to that amazing physics engine.

Skyrim is far better in terms of an open world game where choices matter. It also doesn't force your weapon to break constantly.

Breath of the Wild has small details that are amusing (such as getting hit with lightning when wearing armor in a storm), but I doubt most people appreciate those small details throughout the game. I, for one, got really tired of that, and I also didn't like the slippery climbing during the rain. At first I was impressed, but after a few storms it was nothing more than an irritation.

In my opinion, Breath of the Wild is very lacking when it comes to dungeons and story, and the weapon durability system is off-putting. Skyrim, by contrast, has so many dialogue options (that matter!) and unique dungeons that it makes the world far better than the world of Breath of the Wild. Beyond that, in Skyrim you can create a brand new character each play through that changes the entire game play. With Breath of the Wild you're always just Link. With all of the dialogue options and customization options Skyrim has much better replayability by far.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time on any given day. Kinda tied with Witcher 3 on where it stands in my book.

giphy.gif

I was sure that it was going to fundamentally change the formula for other developers. Which it sadly hasn't, we still get the same trite boring old OWG "maps" that haven't really changed since AssCreed/Oblivion/Etc.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Skyrim is far better in terms of an open world game where choices matter. It also doesn't force your weapon to break constantly.

Breath of the Wild has small details that are amusing (such as getting hit with lightning when wearing armor in a storm), but I doubt most people appreciate those small details throughout the game. I, for one, got really tired of that, and I also didn't like the slippery climbing during the rain. At first I was impressed, but after a few storms it was nothing more than an irritation.

In my opinion, Breath of the Wild is very lacking when it comes to dungeons and story, and the weapon durability system is off-putting. Skyrim, by contrast, has so many dialogue options (that matter!) and unique dungeons that it makes the world far better than the world of Breath of the Wild. Beyond that, in Skyrim you can create a brand new character each play through that changes the entire game play. With Breath of the Wild you're always just Link. With all of the dialogue options and customization options Skyrim has much better replayability by far.
you mention skyrim when I'm talking about freedom of gameplay and even quests, you can literally finish the game right at the beginning since they give you the final quest from the beginning, you can also use anything as a weapon and every aspect of the engine is connected. Skyrim is not even developed like that so why mention Skyrim when the game is not even interactive? Show me a game with a better interactive engine where everything is connected and has infinite options, I will gladly say thanks and go and play that game.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
you mention skyrim when I'm talking about freedom of gameplay and even quests, you can literally finish the game right at the beginning since they give you the final quest from the beginning, you can also use anything as a weapon and every aspect of the engine is connected. Skyrim is not even developed like that so why mention Skyrim when the game is not even interactive? Show me a game with a better interactive engine where everything is connected and has infinite options, I will gladly say thanks and go and play that game.
You're spot on about the physics and it's what gives that game so much life. Hell, playing Elden Ring now and fighting a giant 40 foot bear in the woods is simply amazing because the bear will knock over the trees and destroy buildings when you fight it. It's those little touches that make a HUGE difference. Nintendo nailed it with it's Chemisty Engine for BotW. You can replay it and have a different experience each time because of it. The story will always be the same, and it would be nice to have a branching multiple ending narrative from a Zelda game, but for what it is, it's incredible.

Ezquimacore

Banned
You're spot on about the physics and it's what gives that game so much life. Hell, playing Elden Ring now and fighting a giant 40 foot bear in the woods is simply amazing because the bear will knock over the trees and destroy buildings when you fight it. It's those little touches that make a HUGE difference. Nintendo nailed it with it's Chemisty Engine for BotW. You can replay it and have a different experience each time because of it. The story will always be the same, and it would be nice to have a branching multiple ending narrative from a Zelda game, but for what it is, it's incredible.
Elden Ring is actually the only open world since breath of the wild that I'm fully enjoying, because there are comparisons with botw but the game actually moves the design forward and is not a copy of botw, it feels like a new thing right beside botw.

SeraphJan

As much as I like the innovation from BotW like the new abilities and interactive environment, but I still prefer Twilight Princess or even Skyward Sword.

BotW for me is too time consuming with less focused goals, most of time I felt my time was wasted, while in the older Zelda game every moment is filled with well crafted level design and puzzle solving.

I understand people love the non sequential nature of the game, namely you could just finish the game at the right beginning if you are confident with your skill that is, I think its a great touch, but this game simply just not for me.

Lastly I highly dislike the disposable weapon system they copied from Dead Rising series, this mechanic made Zelda game lose its Identity. Remember in the older Zelda game the excitement of discovering the ultimate equipment? Its all gone. This mechanic alone discourages battle, overcoming a tough fight just to be punished is a very unintuitive design.

Overall a great game, but not for me

I understand Nintendo had a huge success with this game, and they probably will still continue this route, I'm total ok with it as long as they still make classic style Zelda alongside with it.

Last edited:

Bridges

I feel like once you play enough games you really start to see the strings that hold everything together, you start seeing familiar design across mainstream titles and everything begins to become predictable.

Playing this brought me back to being a kid, the sense of discovery, not knowing what I was going to run into and nothing there to stop me except the limits of my own ingenuity. Truly something special.

It is not without its flaws, but for the way it made me feel I still would call it a "perfect" game. And though it is not an unpopular opinion, I still feel compelled to say it every time it gets brought up.

Five years is crazy though, in that time I have played a number of games that also left a similar impact on me (Death Stranding, Yakuza 0, Nier: Automata/Replicant), but even they pale in comparison to the freedom allowed in BotW's Hyrule.

I remember before the game came out, they said something like "This is not an open world game, this is a new genre, an Open Air game" and I thought that was ridiculous. After playing it I truly understand what they meant by that, and I wish there were other games operating in that space. I am beyond stoked for the sequel, and any time I hear/see people talking down on BotW I feel like I'm from a different planet than them.

Ezquimacore

Banned
As much as I like the innovation from BotW like the new abilities and interactive environment, but I still prefer Twilight Princess or even Skyward Sword.

BotW for me is too time consuming with less focused goals, most of time I felt my time was wasted, while in the older Zelda game every moment is filled with well crafted level design and puzzle solving.

I understand people love the non sequential nature of the game, namely you could just finish the game at the right beginning if you are confident with your skill that is, I think its a great touch, but this game simply just not for me.

Lastly I highly dislike the disposable weapon system they copied from Dead Rising series, this mechanic made Zelda game lose its Identity. Remember in the older Zelda game the excitement of discovering the ultimate equipment? Its all gone. This mechanic alone discourages battle, overcoming a tough fight just to be punished is a very unintuitive design.

Overall a great game, but not for me
while I understand what you're saying, I feel like a mix of botw and tp/oot would be the perfect zelda game. Also the weapon system would be great if all the random weapons are disposable like botw, but then you have special weapons inside dungeons and even some kind of potion to make random weapons last longer.
See, I thing botw is the right path, they just need to keep evolving, zelda always evolve so I'm pretty sure they're going to make things better.

SeraphJan

while I understand what you're saying, I feel like a mix of botw and tp/oot would be the perfect zelda game. Also the weapon system would be great if all the random weapons are disposable like botw, but then you have special weapons inside dungeons and even some kind of potion to make random weapons last longer.
Yes, definitely, if they could somewhat mix what makes the older Zelda game unique, combing with this new direction they are taking, I'm all in for it.

5 years later nostalgia got people still thinking this game is revolutionary. Hopefully 2 has better combat and more enemy variety and a stable frame rate.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

You mentioned "freedom" and "interactivity". I addressed the interactivity. Breath of the Wild definitely has an advantage there (although some of that interactivity is off-putting like the armor and lightning storm). As far as the "freedom" goes, I explained how Skyrim has more freedom in the story and the game play. There are more dialogue choices that actually matter. You can play whatever role you wish. You can explore to your heart's content or you can rush through the main story - either way you still have a giant open world with better dungeons than Breath of the Wild. There is more freedom in the story and in exploration, although Skyrim is less "interactive" in that you don't have destructible environments to harm enemies (such as rolling a boulder onto an enemy to damage or kill it).

Also, Breath of the Wild requires anything to be a weapon (including the environment) because all of your weapons are constantly breaking. Skryim doesn't need to let you use a broom as a weapon because they're not shattering your sword every five minutes. I promise you that virtually nobody would use the tree branch as a weapon in Breath of the Wild if the better weapons wouldn't break. As an aside, there is a Skyrim mod you can get that allows you to use common household items as a weapon (e.g. a broom, a flute, a beer bottle, et cetera). That mod also came out prior to Breath of the Wild.

Additionally, Minecraft functions like Breath of the Wild when it comes to destructible environments that can be used to harm/kill enemies. In Minecraft you can knock out a piece of the ceiling causing the lava/sand/water above it to fall on enemies and hurt/kill them. Breath of the Wild is a great sandbox game (like Minecraft), but Skyrim is a much better open world game.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Better take: both are classics.
Animated GIF

Top Bottom