• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today I killed my PS4 Pro and don't regret it one bit

Kagey K

Banned
What are you going to play? I have a Xbox since it came out and Gamepass for years. It does not replace the Sony ecosystem at all with their exclusives, PS Plus and first-party games. My Xbox is looking sad actually.

I have a PS5 too and it's now my main console. Hopefully you are able to get one soon because it will resolve all your issues. You can even plug your PS4 hard drive and play your PS4 games right away.
If he’s been on the pro he has probably played through all the 1st party and exclusives he was interested in.

There is a ton of overlap between PS+ and Gamepass so he isn’t missing much there, and in a year or two, he will be able to buy a PS5 off the shelf easily and blow through thier new exclusives in a month, if he wants to.

Both have a ton of games to play, and by switching ecosystems he has an opportunity to go back and play old favourites that may not be available on the PS4 or 5.

(I don’t know his circumstances) I’m just spitballing.

Last edited:
Not sure people understand what you actually did. This is VERY common and often happens without any real force applied.

Sometimes these surface anchored connectors are not very strong and it's a common point of failure. It's just a surface mount connector held in place by an anchor point on either side. Connectors like USB and HDMI plugs often fail for the same reason. I really don't know why they aren't anchored through the PCB.

If it just lifted off the board but didn't damage the contacts on the board it's a pretty easy fix to reattach that power connector with just some flux and a soldering iron to reflow the soldered points. When I took apart my Elite controller to do maintenance the connection point between the two boards in the controller broke free from the main board and repaired it this way. The power connector in the PS4 is much easier to repair.

If you're up to it, give it a shot. If it works, just epoxy around it so that it doesn't happen again. Noisy or not you might want to play it again some day.

Sony console warriors/trolls.

But yeah it does seem to be a common point of failure. Some people have advised soldering but not keen on even trying to fix this one. I do appreciate the info though. Ive just lost interest in this console to be honest. Been thinking about opening up to clean it again for the longest time now and today I got especially frustrated with the noise.

Interesting that the connector is not soldered through the board with it being such a tight bastard to loosen up when you need to disconnect it.

Gamerguy84

I didn't read every post so maybe it was answered but lots of people did this. You can fix it there are several guides.

Also r/consolerepair has some really helpful peoole.

Warablo

Sony for exclusives and PC/Xbox for multi plats.

EDIT: If you are getting Game Pass Ult, I recommend Star Wars Fallen Order. It's a great single player adventure.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Don't give a shit🤣. I've got mods planned for my car so it saves me money having to dump $60 into each and every game when I can just download what I feel like off GamePass.
Had you not broken your PS4 pro, you could have had the best of both worlds for another year.

Just saying. 😉

(Sorry to make fun, I know you didn’t intentionally do it)

Last edited:

BigBooper

Make note of exactly what happened and you can sell it to someone who is able to fix it if you don't want to get it fixed yourself. I bet you can get 100-150 for it as is.

If he’s been on the pro he has probably played through all the 1st party and exclusives he was interested in.

There is a ton of overlap between PS+ and Gamepass so he isn’t missing much there, and in a year or two, he will be able to buy a PS5 off the shelf easily and blow through thier new exclusives in a month, if he wants to.

Both have a ton of games to play, and by switching ecosystems he has an opportunity to go back and play old favourites that may not be available on the PS4 or 5.

(I don’t know his circumstances) I’m just spitballing.
I'll just continue my PS4 games on PS5 one day.
Hopefully by that time there would have been a hardware revision on PS5 consoles.

So this gen I'm going to be multiplatform console gamer. I'm not biased though I do love Sony games but can appreciate Xbox as well as I owned one before during 360 era.

Make note of exactly what happened and you can sell it to someone who is able to fix it if you don't want to get it fixed yourself. I bet you can get 100-150 for it as is.
Yes great idea. May just eventually put it up for sale as is.
Going to call console repair service tomorrow just to check how much it will cost to repair this issue.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Thanks. It's readily available here. PS5 and Series X is not.
I don't care for ultra super duper 4K gaming. I just want to game in relative silence and GamePass will save me a couple pennies until I get either of the two big boys (PS5 or Series X)
If you get a Series S for Gamepass, just get a PS5 later and you're golden. Dont get an S and a X as that would largely be a waste.

I'm unqualified to do the maintenance I attempted but fuck you Sony! Bragging about my triumph on the internet will make me feel better.
10Hc.gif

Had you not broken your PS4 pro, you could have had the best of both worlds for another year.

Just saying. 😉

(Sorry to make fun, I know you didn’t intentionally do it)
No it's all good and yes I did intend to buy Series S anyways.
Looking forward to playing Forza Horizon series again and trying Grounded.

Hire a professional to work on your electronics, ya nub!

748616.jpg
Lol well played 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

AGRacing

As per thread title i got so frustrated with this fucking thing kicking into 100% fan speed, I got out my thermal paste and compressed air to clean this noisy bastard.

Long story short I fucked up the power supply connector accidently while trying to pry it loose with pliers. Instead of the connector loosening, the whole fucking connector to the board just fell off.

Fuck you Sony. Fuck you long time. You make wonderful games but your hardware and build quality of a fucking embarrassment to consumers.
Yes I could have taken my console over to a pro to clean but I have done this before with 0 issue and it did improve for a few months (noise wise) but then it slowly returned to jet mode. I should not have to open up my console to make it quiet. So fuck you again Sony.

Now I'm going to put this thing on display in my TV cabinet. I created this thread to rant a little but there are some positives here. I get to give Sony a break and I'm going to be picking up an Xbox Series S next week and make sure I get gamepass ultimate and jam on Xbox for a while. I hope my SteelSeries 7 is compatible with Xbox.

I will drop my Xbox username here and I hope to hook up with some of you guys on Xbox soon.

Have a great weekend guys

I don't blame you at all man.

If the PS5 was reviewed as loud as my PS4 Pro I'd have skipped it full stop.

I re-pasted and cleaned my launch PS3 in the weeks before the PS5 launched. I can't even enjoy the damned thing I am so afraid of it breaking. Sucks.

I think the PS5 is a better machine than previous launch consoles but only time will tell for sure.

I'm on Xbox too. The Series X couldn't be any quieter. You'll love it.

Poordevil

If your Pro was noisy, cleaning it probably would have quieted it down. I have watched a few videos on breaking the Pro down and cleaning it. I remember one guy being very adamant about removing the power supply cord from the power supply and not the motherboard. Leave it plugged in to the motherboard and pull it off the power supply. There was another guy saying do not even go as far as removing the power supply. Just expose the back of the heatsink and the fan. Take a can of air and blow it all clean from there. Said it is not worth the risk to take it apart any further. My Pro does not run loud, so I have not yet taken it apart to clean it. Thinking it should be done anyway, but I keep putting the job off.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Don't give a shit🤣. I've got mods planned for my car so it saves me money having to dump $60 into each and every game when I can just download what I feel like off GamePass.
There is no 60$ game on gamepass right now. All the MS games are always on sale at less than 20$, 10$ or even free like Gow5. Indies are 15$ or less and the rest you can easily get at 75% off on sale on Xbox store or PSN. Rage 2 is free on Epic right now.

You really think you are making a point by bringing up that fake 60$ games? They don't exist yet. You drank the kool-aid.

Kagey K

Banned
There is no 60$ game on gamepass right now. All the MS games are always on sale at less than 20$, 10$ or even free like Gow5. Indies are 15$ or less and the rest you can easily get at 75% off on sale on Xbox store or PSN. Rage 2 is free on Epic right now.

You really think you are making a point by bringing up that fake 60$ games? They don't exist yet. You drank the kool-aid.
What is the current price on Dirt 5 (PS5 or Series editions) and what was its sale prices and when?

Last edited:
Not sure people understand what you actually did. This is VERY common and often happens without any real force applied.

What's there not to understand? OP even said so himself, he used pliers and mistakenly pulled out the connector that's attached to the motherboard instead of just pulling on the wire. The only tool you need to disassemble a PS4 is a screwdriver.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
What's there not to understand? OP even said so himself, he used pliers and mistakenly pulled out the connector that's attached to the motherboard instead of just pulling on the wire. The only tool you need to disassemble a PS4 is a screwdriver.
The fact that you even have to is a bit of a embarrassment, but we can save that for a different thread.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
What is the current price on Dirt 5 (PS5 or Series editions) and what was its sale prices and when?
I have less than zero interest in that game but it's 30$ right now on PSN so better luck next time.

I'm just waiting for OP to let me know what recent 60$ game he's going to play on Gamepass since he brought it up. I want to save money too.

Kagey K

Banned
I have less than zero interest in that game but it's 30$ right now on PSN so better luck next time.

I'm just waiting for OP to let me know what recent 60$ game he's going to play on Gamepass since he brought it up. I want to save money too.
After Tues when it isn’t on sale?

You aren’t going to find a better value for 15.00/month anywhere, even if you decide to discount every game released there including those on the precious PS5+ collection.

I guess God of War, Spider man. and Death Stranding are all garbage now, since they are discounted to those prices also.

The fact is, you admitted that he could play just Dit 5 for the rest of this month for half the price it’s selling for and if he gets bored he still has a few hundred games to choose from.

Hmmm, buy one game I might like or pay less for a ton of games i might like?

Hard choices.

Last edited:

nkarafo

If you don't trust consoles (i don't, they are shit) you could try migrating to PC gaming. Building a Desktop PC is easier than ever and it's thermals/noise performance depends on you, not some higher up in Sony who tries to cut corners. My PC is so quiet, people who visit me ask me if it's ON. And the thermals are perfect. I just can't deal with a console after that.

Plus, if a specific part goes bad, you can replace it without ruining the whole system.

If you do, stick to Desktops though. Laptops are just as bad as consoles (and worse).

Oh, and before anyone complains about "Sony exclusive games", etc, the OP doesn't say anything about that. He is only talking about the build quality of the console.

Last edited:
I tried yanking out the cable connected to the motherboard power supply socket. Not the socket itself obviously. The cable is known to be secured very tightly on that particular socket.
Have had many suggest using pliers to loosen it. You can find this in YouTube videos too.

As mentioned by someone else before the power supply motherboard socket is not soldered through the board as to be more secure when needing to remove it and it's common issue that people unintentionally remove the whole socket from the board with minimal effort.

Whatever the case, the PS4 and PS4 Pro are poorly designed consoles. Sony even admitted this much when questioned about PS5 cooling system. Consoles are not meant to be this loud. People should not have to open up the console to perform maintenance every now and then but that's what PS4 owners have to deal with.
It's my own fault for opening it up and then eventually breaking a complement on the innards but like I said before, I should not need to do these things in the first place if there was an adequate cooling solution in place or better ventilation.

Starting a negative Sony thread on GAF is really brave. Have fun with your S.
Yep. Can see some PS warriors are out to defend the company honor when I criticise the cooling solution. It's sad really.

At least now I can game in silence and if I miss my Pro too much, I'll just run the vacuum cleaner 🤣

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
In all honesty it was probably for the best and more people should do it.

It seems nobody has fun here anymore, because They are too busy defending Sony, instead of having fun playing their games.
You have more posts here than the OP. Like you were just waiting for this opportunity to promote Xbox lol
You aren’t going to find a better value for 15.00/month anywhere, even if you decide to discount every game released there including those on the precious PS5+ collection.

I guess God of War, Spider man. and Death Stranding are all garbage now, since they are discounted to those prices also.

The fact is, you admitted that he could play just Dit 5 for the rest of this month for half the price it’s selling for and if he gets bored he still has a few hundred games to choose from.

Hmmm, buy one game I might like or pay less for a ton of games i might like?

Hard choices.
I don't see the OP mention he was getting an Xbox to play Dirt 5 so you can let him reply what are the 60$ games he's going to play on GP since he specifically mentioned them. Thanks.

Top Bottom