• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today I killed my PS4 Pro and don't regret it one bit

Loope

crash pilot GIF

PaintTinJr

I tried this on my Pro and stopped at this point. The PSU connector just wouldn't come off without some kind of kung-fu grip and a lot of pressure so I decided to reassemble it and cut my losses. I just cleaned what I could and it helped the airflow, but now I have a bunch of thermal pads I have no use for.

Sorry, OP. You can probably buy the part on ebay or something.
If the connector (plastic) has gone rigid - probably from warm running, then cold idles over a few years - you should find that temporarily heating the connector plastic, just enough, a few times with a hairdyer - while shielding the surrounding area - can put some life back into the plastic to let it come appart easier.

But for a very noisy console - not just a regular noisy one - I would use the safe mode to rebuild the hdd's database as a first test, and then try a new or different drive (preformatted fully on PC, so needing usbstick firmware restore from PlayStation.com) if there was no improvement with basic vaccuming, before a full dismantle clean, repaste and new thermal pads.

AJUMP23

I don’t know man you seem a little frustrated by this. I bet when you get some time to think about it you will regret your choices here.

As per thread title i got so frustrated with this fucking thing kicking into 100% fan speed, I got out my thermal paste and compressed air to clean this noisy bastard.

Long story short I fucked up the power supply connector accidently while trying to pry it loose with pliers. Instead of the connector loosening, the whole fucking connector to the board just fell off.

Fuck you Sony. Fuck you long time. You make wonderful games but your hardware and build quality of a fucking embarrassment to consumers.
Yes I could have taken my console over to a pro to clean but I have done this before with 0 issue and it did improve for a few months (noise wise) but then it slowly returned to jet mode. I should not have to open up my console to make it quiet. So fuck you again Sony.

Now I'm going to put this thing on display in my TV cabinet. I created this thread to rant a little but there are some positives here. I get to give Sony a break and I'm going to be picking up an Xbox Series S next week and make sure I get gamepass ultimate and jam on Xbox for a while. I hope my SteelSeries 7 is compatible with Xbox.

I will drop my Xbox username here and I hope to hook up with some of you guys on Xbox soon.

Have a great weekend guys
Sorry you broke your console bro. Maybe you can still sell it for parts to subsidise the next console you purchase. Hopefully your next device doesn't bother you as much as the last one did.

both my original PS4 and my Pro were always loud AF from day one. It's just part of PS4 dna to be loud - aside from cocky bastards that came late in the game so chips were efficient enough and generate less heat and better coolers too...

well, actually I made Pro to be mostly silent once I understood 4K was just not worth it, so I just fixed its resolution to 1080p.

it may still take off like a jet plane while I'm playing VR, but then I'm on headphones...

Neff

I have the version before the last revision which I understand runs quieter.

I got the Pro bundled with Red Dead 2 which is supposed to be the quietest yet, and it was for about a year. But TLoU2 and Resident Evil 3 had it doing the jet engine impersonation to the point where it was ruining my enjoyment of the games, so I opened it up, cleaned it and re-pasted it. Made a huge difference, but some games still do make it angry, especially RE3.

I think the claim that PlayStations are built like crap is generally a fair one. They've all shit the bed on me in some significant way, with the exception of the original PS4, which took six years of punishment without complaint.

Valonquar

One time I killed a PS2 trying to do the 20+ wire chipmod on microscopic contact points. I didn't get angry at Sony. I got better at soldering and fixed it.

vkbest

Haha I’m really surprised people talking about bad quality because the console is noisy, bad quality is not that, bad quality would be if the console is turning off because the heat.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

PRO is a great console. I have two PS5 and a PRO hooked up. I have no problems going from one to the other.

Very different from last gen where I couldn't really go back to PS3 from PS4.

The loudest I ever hear it get is ironically when I pause a game and sit in a menu.

ZoukGalaxy

You need some anger management.
Also, if you have too much money to waste, please give it to me, I will use it more efficiently.
Thanks.

Pallas

That sucks OP, maybe you can find a cheap Pro somewhere, anyway enjoy the Series S. It’s definitely an interesting little box from what I’ve seen and probably the best Gamepass machine for the price, and not a bad buy for those on a budget currently.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm still waiting for the 60$ Gamepass games you'll be playing at 900p on your S? Funny how you seem to totally ignore any posts that talk about the games.

Don't forget to tell us your Xbox username. Kagey and CatLady will add you asap.
Gonna need to check his Id first, and proof of achievements unlocked in Series console games. 😅

If the connector (plastic) has gone rigid - probably from warm running, then cold idles over a few years - you should find that temporarily heating the connector plastic, just enough, a few times with a hairdyer - while shielding the surrounding area - can put some life back into the plastic to let it come appart easier.

But for a very noisy console - not just a regular noisy one - I would use the safe mode to rebuild the hdd's database as a first test, and then try a new or different drive (preformatted fully on PC, so needing usbstick firmware restore from PlayStation.com) if there was no improvement with basic vaccuming, before a full dismantle clean, repaste and new thermal pads.
I considered this but don't have a heat gun since I'm not one for DIY projects. I'll definitely revisit the project at some point in the future since the Pro is essentially a PSVR console for me now. The PS5 is now sitting in my living room so the urgency just isn't there anymore haha.

Thanks for the heads up on the heat though! These kryonaught thermal pads will be put to use soon enough.

rapid32.5

Good, PS4 is a badly designed console, even the slim version still runs hot and loud during some games.
There is just no comparison between PS4 slim and PS2 slim designs, you know the PS2 slim was built like a tank and was super tiny.

Last edited:
Get a PS5 instead. I skipped the PRO, PS5 is a beast.
That's the plan. I'm just done with PS4 & PS4 Pro.

I have 160+ games on PS4 so I'm not throwing that all away. Also looking forward to being a multiplatform console owner and it starts with Series S. Good times ahead and hope to see some of you guys on Xbox and PS in future.
Still love PS more but I can appreciate the games of other platforms as well. That's what true gamers do. They go where the games are regardless of platform and if the budget allows.

Havent read the whole thread but soldering a power connector is like basic level DIY
I'm not too confident in carrying out that task. I would the connector breaking dented my confidence in tampering with electronic components. I'm not too ashamed to say it either but I'll rather just leave it to the experts to repair.
Thanks for those that did suggest to carry out soldering job but nah not for me after this last episode.

I bet all this anger is cause you couldn’t get your hands on a PS5 lol
Lol some if it actually is. I won't lie.
But I will get one. I mean I didn't get PS4 Pro on launch day and opted to wait it out and compare it to One X before deciding which console to get. The awesome exclusive games on PS4 was the deciding factor in going PS.
So yeah, before all this nonsense happened today I did in fact also consider Xbox before settling on getting a PS4 Pro.

Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation sorry for all the hate going your way. I don't get it. The pro is designed poorly. Anyone name calling you and defending Sony is just a Warrior. They should not of released a product to use with a TV that you can't hear the tv over. Enjoy the series s. Tons of great games on game pass.
Appreciate it mate and I agree. Sony's made better consoles before in PS1, 2 and 3. PS4 for some reason the cooling solution is not good enough.
Also its missing Bluray player. Not really a big deal to me but i would imagine to those who are looking for a feature rich 4K system. Also you have 'Pro' in the name so really there should be a bluray drive.
Looking forward to Series S though. Have mentioned before but I desperately want to play Grounded, that pirate game and Forza Horizon.

Last edited:

T_LVPL

My PS4(s) made a decent-ish noise depending on the game and PS5 certainly isn’t “silent“ like many people claim theirs is (bullsh1t). It makes a small amount of noise every now and then and a consistent quiet whirr. I honestly couldn’t give a fk. Places like this are good because it tells me I’m nowhere near as obsessive, neurotic and fussy as I often think I am.

Top Bottom