• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the 25th anniversary of Tomb Raider

T8SC

The original Tomb Raider is still the best in the series.

The first two were remarkable games. The first with its atmosphere, lack of soundtrack, isolation & ambience, followed by a more "blockbuster" follow up with more action. Both games were heavy on the puzzles and did not hold your hand to work them out, unlike the poor imitations of the latest "reboot" games.

Some of the levels in the first game are well worth revisiting, levels such as The Lost Valley, St Francis Folly & Palace Midas. Yes the game has an old control scheme, but it works and it isn't difficult to master.

Such a shame that the reboot games ended up imitating Uncharted, when it should be the other way around.

Lara was such a good character, I say "was" because what they've done to her in recent years is a fucking travesty. There was a reason she was on the cover of non-computer magazines & billboards, and it's not because she fucking cried every chapter.

stranno

They should at least make those old games work in modern PC and controller, but nothing.
OpenLara already supports Tomb Raider 1 and 2, but the idea is to support 1-5 in the future. It is an open source implementation of the first games with many improvements, including cooperative splitscreen.

Here's the XBOX version, but it is available on many platforms (including a crazy Game Boy Advance tech demo).

Oh, and 3DO, because why not.

Last edited:

Xenon

I bought a PS1 and the game a second time after seeing how this compared to my Saturn version. Other than the lever that moves the boat back and forth, it was perfect. So much fun!

Last edited:

Giles

Being a 90s kid with a PlayStation this series was a big part of my childhood. The first two games are straight up classics. Some of the puzzles were brilliant like setting the lead bars on king Midas’ hand to turn them gold. It took kid me so long to figure that out lol. I found the later games too difficult and uninspired but the first two will always hold a special place in my memory!

Gold Member
#2 is still one of my all time fav games, that bit where you go underwater and explore that wreck is just too good. Loved the first one almost as much, I remember getting it near launch (it cost a lot, I was a poor teenager) booting it up with my mate for the first time and playing it through to near the first save point where you come across a bear. We was standing at the top of the pit its in working out our next move and it just roared. Nearly shat myself. Good times :messenger_tears_of_joy:

25 years ago wow, not feeling old at all right now...

nush

Gold Member
Yeah, I remember that. He worked at Core but had nothing to do with the Tomb Raider titles.

He does have special thanks credits in the early games in the series. My boss was telling me a story about the day Ken was asked "To take a seat over there". Ken calls him up and says he's got the gold version of "whatever the Tomb Raider game was at the time" for disc replication and he'd be coming down to London to deliver it. My boss said not to bother, just put it in a jiffy bag and next day courier it (Like every publisher always does). Ken insists. So my boss was like, fine, see you tomorrow.

Next day Ken arrives at the office, hands over the disks. Then asks my boss if he wanted to come to his hotel that evening for some drinks. My boss declines. Ken gets arrested in that hotel that night.

My boss was like "Thank FUCK I turned down those drinks and wasnt seen with him that night!".

SirTerry-T

He does have special thanks credits in the early games in the series. My boss was telling me a story about the day Ken was asked "To take a seat over there". Ken calls him up and says he's got the gold version of "whatever the Tomb Raider game was at the time" for disc replication and he'd be coming down to London to deliver it. My boss said not to bother, just put it in a jiffy bag and next day courier it (Like every publisher always does). Ken insists. So my boss was like, fine, see you tomorrow.

Next day Ken arrives at the office, hands over the disks. Then asks my boss if he wanted to come to his hotel that evening for some drinks. My boss declines. Ken gets arrested in that hotel that night.

My boss was like "Thank FUCK I turned down those drinks and wasnt seen with him that night!".
Oh God, there are plenty of good and bad stories from the UK Dev scene around that time. I made the mistake of trying to match some of Ocean softwares Q&A guys drink for drink on a night out...all I had to show for it the next day was nine hours in the local A&E and a fractured ulna in my left arm ;)

nush

Gold Member
Oh God, there are plenty of good and bad stories from the UK Dev scene around that time. I made the mistake of trying to match some of Ocean softwares Q&A guys drink for drink on a night out...all I had to show for it the next day was nine hours in the local A&E and a fractured ulna in my left arm ;)

Any Gaming Industry Event.

Let's have an open Bar. What could possibly go wrong?

MikeM

One of the best games on PS1. The sound design & sense of isolation are particularly memorable.

Greece > Peru> Egypt > Atlantis

But all four are great. Anybody here ever try out Unfinished Business?
Isolation is sorely missing in today’s games. Everyone wants to go open world, but there is lots of value in a good isolation game.

As for Lara- OG TR was the best and standsout for me out of all of them. I’m surprised no one mentioned the T-Rex 🦖. One of the most memorable parts of the game.

Last edited:
Ah, the time when you could be sexy and smart and nobody would double-guess the agenda. A true icon.
Because there was no agenda besides make a kick ass sexy character and great game.

Today you would have people complain that she is too hot and it makes them insecure. Or that she has too much boobs because "Real women don't have them or some shit" .... I go look at my ex wife , past gfs and my girlfriend and see large jugs and think they are real, what do these ass hats have against breasts?

OG Lara was a bad ass and she was in legit fun games. The reboot is good too but I always feel like its playing "teenage lara" like how they made "young indiana jones" back in the day.

Isolation is sorely missing in today’s games. Everyone wants to go open world, but there is lots of value in a good isolation game.
Funny you mention that...Shadow of the Tomb Raider has a lot of that.
Somehow people complained about the lack of shooting in that game lmao.

I feel they have to satisfy 2 different Tomb Raider crowds in 2021 and it must suck. One prefers the classic games, loves puzzles, that isolation feeling, etc.
The other one is looking for an Uncharted type of game that even though wasn't what Tomb Raider was about at first, it was their biggest audience for the Reboot and Rise. No wonder those people were let down with Shadow.

I actually preferred it to the previous 2, even if the story, script etc was bad as hell.

winjer

Still remember playing it for the first time, at a friends house.
On a mere Pentium 166 Mhz, without a 3D card.
It was so awesome to have such an adventure in 3D.
Later I got it for my PSX and completed it. And then TR2.
Only played TR3 a bit. Never found it engaging.

stranno

Apparently, Angel of Darkness got an ATI TruForm treatment (prehistoric hardware tessellation).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wasn't worth making another thread, but... Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Why am I so bored? Anyone know? I'm 1/3 of the way through and I'm falling asleep. Beat the first two games and they were fine, this just feels... uninspired? I can't put my finger on it but I have no desire to keep playing.

Top Bottom