• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard: 2 new games 'bigger than anything we've ever done', also new mobile game

No idea why but this made really laugh out loud. Well done sir.

OT - I think there is a little too much hate for Bethesda here. Yes, they have very buggy games, but let's be honest they make some of the most memorable games ever. Do they need a new engine? Yeah, do they need to get their storytelling tight, of course. But their world building is unmatched. Credit where it's due folks.

Um...no. Their world-building is actually quite horrible, a conflicting mess of ideas and lore. Bethesda world building amounts to, "how cool would this be?" And then they put whatever they want into their world that seems cool with no regard as to whether it makes any sense within the fictional world they've created.

A town built around a Nuclear Bomb. You got it.
A town inside of an aircraft carrier floating on top of irradiated water. No problem, fam.
A town built inside a baseball stadium surrounded by Super Mutants and Raiders. Of course.
Brotherhood of Steel on the East Coast. Done.
Super Mutants everywhere even though the FEV specifically created them. Don't even sweat it, bro.
A secret organization that builds life like robots for no reason? Why not.
A secret organization run by humans that helps these robots when the mere act of surviving in the wasteland is a more pressing concern. Done.
Nuclear submarine Captain sitting in his sub for over 300 years? Sure.
Kid in a Fridge for 300 years with his parents living 3 blocks away for 300 years? Yo, what are we Shakespeare? Just roll with it, bro.
Skeletons littered everywhere from the nuclear holocaust still lying around 300 years later despite being exposed to the elements? Isn't that like how fossils work, bro?

Do I need to continue.

Yes, Bethesda will make bank and likely not be as critically throttled as they need to be, and CDPR will likely be a critical darling but come up short gameplay wise.

god damn are complaints about Witcher 3's combat grossly exaggerated if people are saying Bethesda games play better.

Zukkoyaki

Sooooo

New IP - probably coming first, I expect it to headline their 2018 E3 conference

Elder Scrolls VI - I'd imagine still in pre-production and will be a next generation game

Mobile game - Yeah it's a mobile game, not sure what it is or when it will be out

Cyriades

Elder Scrolls VI

395318586.jpg

Ascenion

Wot? Did you mean to say that they do less bank, or? Also that implies that Bethesda somehow delivers good gameplay :D

I'm saying a Bethesda Cyberpunk game would perform better commercially than CDPR. Cyberpunk TES/FO? That's gonna sell itself since people will automatically make that association. Also FO4 was a more than competent shooter imo. And I think any Cyberpunk title would follow that model so you won't have TES gameplay problems. I don't think I really need to get into specifics about W3's less that stellar gameplay but let's just say FO4 was leagues better and less of a chore.

Starfield / Sci-fi new IP should be the 1st of those 2 games. I'm expecting it to release in 2018. Been in production in one form or another for over 3 years.

No idea what the other one could be.

Ms.Galaxy

Um...no. Their world-building is actually quite horrible, a conflicting mess of ideas and lore. Bethesda world building amounts to, "how cool would this be?" And then they put whatever they want into their world that seems cool with no regard as to whether it makes any sense within the fictional world they've created.

A town inside of an aircraft carrier floating on top of irradiated water. No problem, fam.
A town built inside a baseball stadium surrounded by Super Mutants and Raiders. Of course.
Super Mutants everywhere even though the FEV specifically created them. Don't even sweat it, bro.
A secret organization run by humans that helps these robots when the mere act of surviving in the wasteland is a more pressing concern. Done.
Kid in a Fridge for 300 years with his parents living 3 blocks away for 300 years? Yo, what are we Shakespeare? Just roll with it, bro.
Skeletons littered everywhere from the nuclear holocaust still lying around 300 years later despite being exposed to the elements? Isn't that like how fossils work, bro?

Do I need to continue.

Don't forget the village of children in their early teens living and running around inside a cave that's under a field of extremely high radiation and literally right next to a vault where Super Mutants drag other humans to turn them into more Super Mutants or eat them for food. Perfectly logical...

Don't forget the village of children in their early teens living and running around inside a cave that's under a field of extremely high radiation and literally right next to a vault where Super Mutants drag other humans to turn them into more Super Mutants or eat them for food. Perfectly logical...

Breh, that part just breaks my brain. It's honestly makes kid in a fridge look better.

Dweebo

Banned
I love how everyone is saying don't believe his lies and then saying how their next game isn't ES6 because Todd said so.

Tovarisc

I'm saying a Bethesda Cyberpunk game would perform better commercially than CDPR. Cyberpunk TES/FO? That's gonna sell itself since people will automatically make that association. Also FO4 was a more than competent shooter imo. And I think any Cyberpunk title would follow that model so you won't have TES gameplay problems. I don't think I really need to get into specifics about W3's less that stellar gameplay but let's just say FO4 was leagues better and less of a chore.

I was with you until bolded part.

Bethesda and maybe even BioWare games do outsell CDPR easily, they are more widely known names with more games under their belts. Which also could result in said companies not caring too much about what CDPR is doing, even if CDPR stuff gets more critical praise.

FO4 was competent shooter thanks to help from ID, but also very janky to play. Without mods HUD is just awful on KB/M, Pipboy is pure hell. 3rd person view is still more vanity thing than actual gameplay option. Movement is still very floaty and seems to be engine thing.

Bolded part. I do think you really need to go into detail about how TW3's gameplay is bad and by what miracle FO4 is leagues better. I have around 300h in TW3 and around 160h in FO4 and I just don't see that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
More useless space to traverse. In Fallout 4, that obscure corner of the map youd think you'd find something interesting youd come back with maybe a bobble head and ammo.

Instead of bigger and more scale bla bla, what about a polished and bug-free game Todd?
I mean they are doing that shit now for years and they know it exactly and don't give a shit, so it's hard for me to get excited for a new Bethesda game. I mean even the Skyrim Remaster doesn't seem to run without it's problems. In a time after Witcher 3 I really hope it doesn't get accepted if the next game will be the next laggy bugfest.

Bethesda and maybe even BioWare games do outsell CDPR easily, they are more widely known names with more games under their belts. Which also could result in said companies not caring too much about what CDPR is doing, even if CDPR stuff gets more critical praise.

Bioware games do not outsell CDPR. At least if we are comparing them to Witcher 3. No Bioware game has sold over 10 million units as far as I'm aware.

Depending on how Cyberpunk performs CDPR is likely the 2nd biggest RPG team in the world now (behind Bethesda)

Nya

So, no TES VI? I'm sad.

Also both FO4 and W3 played like shit imo, total garbage.
*shivers remembering how TW3 played before the patch*

Absolutely terrible.

Ascenion

I was with you until bolded part.

FO4 was competent shooter thanks to help from ID, but also very janky to play. Without mods HUD is just awful on KB/M, Pipboy is pure hell. 3rd person view is still more vanity thing than actual gameplay option. Movement is still very floaty and seems to be engine thing.

Bolded part. I do think you really need to go into detail about how TW3's gameplay is bad and by what miracle FO4 is leagues better. I have around 300h in TW3 and around 160h in FO4 and I just don't see that.

Witcher 3. Let's see I'll start with the Witcher senses. Distorted screen, poor FOV that gives me mild headaches if I'm stuck in it too long, coupled with terrible movement controls even with the updated one I still don't care for it. Not sure why something like that they thought was okay to make crucial to tracking. Why not just highlight things in red only instead of distort the screen so?

Combat wise, poor hit detection ( I've thrown bombs at humans they are clearly hit by it, but no flames on them, no lowered health no nothing, it might as well have missed), floaty animations which is shared with TES to be fair in the sense that I don't feel like I'm hitting anything. Lot of combat animation jank in general. Before the update the menu system in W3 was just as bad as the pipboy imo, but they really cleaned it up.

I'd say the only reason Fallout 4 is leagues better is because it has guns. I can shoot something and it will die with no real issues in the act of killing something, and I don't feel like I don't have proper control of my character. The moment to moment action isn't a chore unless I choose for it to be. The instant I pick up a melee weapon, FO4 automatically goes back to TES level horror. Both have gameplay issues yes but boy if Fallout isn't better at being bad than W3 is. That's just my opinion. The best compliment I can give W3's gameplay is that it is at a minimum playable. I just don't want to play it. I concede that W3 does just about everything else better from an experience perspective.

Tovarisc

Witcher 3. Let's see I'll start with the Witcher senses. Distorted screen, poor FOV that gives me mild headaches if I'm stuck in it too long, coupled with terrible movement controls even with the updated one I still don't care for it. Not sure why something like that they thought was okay to make crucial to tracking. Why not just highlight things in red only instead of distort the screen so?

Combat wise, poor hit detection ( I've thrown bombs at humans they are clearly hit by it, but no flames on them, no lowered health no nothing, it might as well have missed), floaty animations which is shared with TES to be fair in the sense that I don't feel like I'm hitting anything. Lot of combat animation jank in general. Before the update the menu system in W3 was just as bad as the pipboy imo, but they really cleaned it up.

I'd say the only reason Fallout 4 is leagues better is because it has guns. I can shoot something and it will die with no real issues in the act of killing something, and I don't feel like I don't have proper control of my character. The moment to moment action isn't a chore unless I choose for it to be. The instant I pick up a melee weapon, FO4 automatically goes back to TES level horror. Both have gameplay issues yes but boy if Fallout isn't better at being bad than W3 is. That's just my opinion. The best compliment I can give W3's gameplay is that it is at a minimum playable. I just don't want to play it. I concede that W3 does just about everything else better from an experience perspective.

Had to make sure, but it's there as I remembered. You can disable "fish-eye" effect of Witcher sense, there is even option to make it colorblind friendly. Just putting it out there as it could help you out and prevent headaches.
When it comes to rest of your post I basically disagree with everything and that is fine. Basically flip 180 on them, more or less. Not picking fight over it because like you said, opinions and tastes aren't always shared.

Hopefully the stories better. Tge world and gameplay were great in 4. So many unique areas, but sadly still little reason to visit them. If you had me choose between Wasteland 2 and Fallout 4 right now, I'd choose Wasteland in a heartbeat because I enjoyed the story more. It showed me things I hadn't seen before. Fallout needed more of that. More like the Noodle Robot, less like the blatantly bad copying of New Vegas.

Apathy

Been burned too much by Bethesda to even give then the benefit of the doubt. I'll wait till well after they release their next bug filled game to determine if it warrants even a small investment on my part.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Doesn't sound great to me. With Bethesda, "bigger" doesn't typically mean more complex, or more unique. I'm expecting more mechanics will be removed, and more generic repeatable quests, in a world filled with bland, randomly generated junk loot.

jacobeid

Banned
When are game developers going to realize that we don't need bigger games we need better games. I'm getting real sick of these empty open worlds. Fallout 4 felt like a lot of wasted space in comparison to Skyrim or even NV.

Zukkoyaki

When are game developers going to realize that we don't need bigger games we need better games. I'm getting real sick of these empty open worlds. Fallout 4 felt like a lot of wasted space in comparison to Skyrim or even NV.
Agreed. Worlds like Skyrim are plenty big enough, we just need meaningful content.

TDLink

Starfield, their open world Sci-Fi game is one of them. Was shown to all Bethesda studios internally last year. Elder Scrolls 6 is not currently in development, so that is not one of them.

RPGamer92

Banned
Bigger isn't always good. Arkham City and Red Dead's open worlds weren't huge for instance but were more memorable to me and had more stuff to do in them than Skyrim or even Witcher 3 imo.

Gold_Loot

Eh I don't believe his bullshit, especially with the ram and GPUs in the current consoles. That and ps4 pro and Scorpio are decent power upgrades over the base models.Seems his statement is basically code for that they are limited by the shit CPUs in ps4/xb1.

They could simply code the game for a 1080, 16gb ram and skylake i7. For very obvious reasons they won't, but saying the tech isn't there is bullshit.
Sure, they can do that. And they can only sell about 5k copies and go bankrupt within a few months...

The fact is, most gamers - console and PC, don't own hardware like that, so for now, they going to tailor to 8 gigs and a 970-980 range.

Snagret

Do I need to continue.
When people say "world-building", I think of a detail or plot that isn't needed to drive the main narrative forward, but adds to a cohesiveness to the themes and tone of the setting. These are perfect examples of why Bethesda is terrible at world building. It's not building anything, it's just disconnected stuff. And my god do these games have a lot of stuff.

Top Bottom