• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard interview.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/07/...hat-they-want-without-spreading-too-thin/#nnn

Fallout 4 director Todd Howard: Giving fans what they want without spreading too thin.

Todd Howard, director of Bethesda Game Studios, noted in a recent talk at the Gamelab event in Barcelona that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim keeps migrating to new platforms because fans keep buying it on every new platform. But even a big company like Bethesda, which is owned by Bethesda Softworks (in turn, owned by ZeniMax Media), has to make trade-offs about where to devote resources.

Howard has worked at Bethesda for 25 years, and in recent years, he has hit his stride as director on games such as The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout Shelter. Howard is happy to give fans more of what they want, as evidenced by the recent announcements at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) of Fallout 76 and The Elder Scrolls VI.

But Howard also looked farther into the future than ever, showing fans a glimpse of Starfield, an original science fiction game that Bethesda has been creating from the ground up over the past decade. That shows that Bethesda and Howard are engaged in a difficult balancing act of servicing fans with titles based on past franchises with the need for developers to create something brand new.

More in the link.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
I wanted new The Elder Scrolls, not Fallout 76, so yeah Todd, cool story with giving fans what they want, bruh.

Kreydo

Indeed Howard gave to fans what they wanted during that E3 : VR games, Irevelant teasers, TES on Alexa, TES on smartphone and a Fallout Game As Service.....

Thanks Todd for the bullshit.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Indeed Howard gave to fans what they wanted during that E3 : VR games, Irevelant teasers, TES on Alexa, TES on smartphone and a Fallout Game As Service.....

Thanks Todd for the bullshit.
Exactly. What the fans really want is a goddamn new engine (and don't lecture me on what an engine is Todd) and for them to have been working on a new ES mainline game instead of ESO and all the other crap.

Last edited:
I wanted new The Elder Scrolls, not Fallout 76, so yeah Todd, cool story with giving fans what they want, bruh.

Fans like games without glitches too and we never get that either.

Oh wait, forget it...no one ever gives Bethesda shit for glitches and they get game of the year awards anyway. Forget I said anything.

Calibos

He gave me what I wanted...more Fallout...and Fallout with friends. An appetizer while they finish ES6.

Starfield is intriguing.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...howard-pete-hines-elder-scrolls-starfield#nnn

After announcing three huge games at E3 expo – Fallout 76, The Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield – Bethesda stalwarts Todd Howard and Pete Hines explain the importance of staying relevant

‘We’ve been talking about it for a decade, we started putting things on paper five, six years ago’ ... Starfield. Photograph: Bethesda Games

In the early 2000s, game publisher Bethesda was best known for its Elder Scrolls series of technologically ambitious fantasy games. In the last 15 years, however, it has expanded greatly, snapping up several legendary video game franchises as well as starting an original series of its own.

The company now produces the Fallout post-apocalyptic role-playing games; the iconic, hellish shooter Doom; tongue-in-cheek Nazi-killing romp Wolfenstein; supernatural steampunk assassin sim Dishonoured; and Rage, a Mad Max-style romp around a devastated world.

At its E3 press conference last month, after showing new Doom, Rage, Fallout and Wolfenstein titles, Bethesda teased the next entry in its Elder Scrolls series as well as a new sci-fi role-playing game called Starfield. For both, 100 hours is a conservative playtime estimate.
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...ward-pete-hines-elder-scrolls-starfield#img-2

It’s been nearly seven years since the last massive, single-player Elder Scrolls, Skyrim – though it’s been rereleased so many times on different consoles that you could be forgiven for thinking it was only a few years ago. Pete Hines, Bethesda’s senior vice-president of PR and marketing, cautions that “the Elder Scrolls VI is still two games away from Bethesda Game Studios”, which means another one or two years at least. But a lot has changed about both video games and the fantasy genre since Skyrim, not least the world-conquering popularity of Game of Thrones. How will The Elder Scrolls remain relevant?

More in the link.

Drewpee

Banned
They are trying a new game type with Fallout 76 so clearly they are just failing us as gamers and not giving us what We want. We don't need new innovative games. Give us the same ol sh*t, just pretty it up a little.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...the-greatest-thing-bethesda-game-studios-does

Bethesda Games Studios, maker of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, tends to be a pretty secretive place. We won't hear anything for ages and then announcements for Fallout: 76, Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6 come along at once and everybody frantically starts planning time off work.

The games are great but they're not, according to studio leader Todd Howard, the greatest thing Bethesda Game Studios does. That honour belongs to something the studio doesn't shout about, a fairly private thing. Every so often Bethesda Game Studios opens its doors to terminally ill children who wish to see where their favourite games are made. It's part of the company's quiet ongoing support of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

More in the link.

Top Bottom