• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard on the many Skyrim ports: "If you want us to stop releasing it, stop buying it."

BANGS

Banned
Not relevant to the discussion.
You heavily implied that they wouldn't make a new ES game until people stopped buying Skyrim, which is just plain wrong. They're just rereleasing skyrim so much because it's easy and it's making them money, they will make ES6 when it's time for ES6. Instead they are working on other IPs. They are Bethesda softworks, not Elder Scroll Softworks... So yeah, my post was very relevant...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You heavily implied that they wouldn't make a new ES game until people stopped buying Skyrim, which is just plain wrong. They're just rereleasing skyrim so much because it's easy and it's making them money, they will make ES6 when it's time for ES6. Instead they are working on other IPs. They are Bethesda softworks, not Elder Scroll Softworks... So yeah, my post was very relevant...
Plus it’s not like Skyrim has been re-released more than any other remastered title.
It came out last gen and was rereleased this gen like plenty of other titles.

The first Halo has actually had more releases.

Cosmogony

"That's just dumb business", unfortunately for you, me and Todd Howard, it isn't: if particular product in a franchise or product line is still selling high, you don't want to fragment your sale and spend costly new contracts into producing and marketing a new one.

And yet they've announced not one but two AAA open world RPGs, one of them a brand new IP.

So in order word, if the vast majority of people were tired or not stupid enough to buy the same game twice,

My basic assumption is trhat people know their interests better than I can ever hope to. Not that I would ever want to dictate how they spend their cash, but it does seem that not all people are on board with this basic sentiment.

or even a 7 year old game as the same high-price, ESVI would be already planned for 2019 because they would have to sell a new main title in the franchise. Again Todd Howard's comment is pretty explicit and straight-foward which is rare coming from a director: if people want a new ES, then stop buying the ports we're releasing...

All sorts of heart-warming intentions can justify double-dipping. For example, a number of people have announced they've purchased multiple TW3 editions as a way to reward CD Projekt RED. It's their money, their time, their games. I wouldn't presume to know what course of action better suits them. Again, it does seem I'm not accompanied by some in this notion.

Unless you're calling the actual ES director a lier, then you have to understand that yes, people accepting to buy the same game several time at full prices are not just degenerately stupid,

This is the kind of arrogance that can be fought against. If a complete stranger were to tell me my purchase decisions had been imbecile - this of course without having the faintest clue as to the whys and the hows - I'd burst into laughter and tell him to sod off.

they actually are the reason why Elder Scroll VI has not been coming.

What a fantastically false remark. Todd has explained the technology isn't here yet to fully realize their vision for TES VI. You are free to disbelieve him, but at least present a case why that's a rational decision. Additionally, they may have wanted to avoid creative fatigue or even unfavourable TW3 comparisons by holding off on TES and starting a brand new IP like Starfield. Yet you're eager to dismiss all of this so somehow the notion you're able to discern people's interests better than themselves and are in a position to tell then how and when to spend their money seems less ludicrous than what it really is.

Now as you said there's no platform left for them to re-release Skyrim, so that's probably why they teased ESVI at E3, they know it's eventually going to be time,

Given how you don't have an ounce of evidence to support the claim - or do you? - it can be dismissed until you actually have something solid to back it up with.

theclaw135

Banned
Skyrim continues to reach new customers on new systems, where it was previously not available. That isn't a bad thing.

The PS4/XB1 versions offered noticeable graphics improvements over last gen consoles.
And Switch marks the first version marketed for a portable system. (all of you with handheld x86 PCs, raise your hand.)

Top Bottom