• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Papy (GoW: Ascension Director) Joins Crytek, directing unannounced game

TheOddOne

He has joined Crytek.

j8wHVIdBrAXtb.png

Hopefully it's Ryse 2 with a more involved combat system and exploration/puzzle elements similar to God of War. Or a new IP is always nice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, a Ryse sequel makes the most sense to me, since turning it into a series more like God of War would be a very obvious direction if they intend to make more.

Ryse 2 seems like the easy answer. Would likely make it a more interesting proposition to me. Glad he landed somewhere awesome, with a large developer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does Microsoft own the Ryse IP? Or would they have to pay for exclusivity for a sequel?
Microsoft and EA are pretty much some of the only major publishers that let you keep the IP.

However, in trade for that, they usually get the right of first refusal to publish a game's first sequel.

So if Crytek wanted to make Ryse 2, if Microsoft wants to publish it, Crytek contractually has to let them do so.

However, given Crytek is huge and likely wants whatever work they can get, if Microsoft wants to publish eight more Ryse titles, Crytek will likely be more than happy to do so.

Sweet, I'm enjoying Ryse more than I expected but its simple.
Knights of England sounds boring though. Way more overplayed scenario than Rome. Stay there.

Teddified

Microsoft and EA are pretty much some of the only major publishers that let you keep the IP.

However, in trade for that, they usually get the right of first refusal to publish a game's first sequel.

So if Crytek wanted to make Ryse 2, if Microsoft wants to publish it, Crytek contractually has to let them do so.

However, given Crytek is huge and likely wants whatever work they can get, if Microsoft wants to publish eight more Ryse titles, Crytek will likely be more than happy to do so.

Ah, thanks.

NeoGash

Hopefully him and the people from Vigil get to make a new IP that is good. If it's Ryse 2 I will cry. Surely he would try and rysist working on that series, because why would he leave SSM for that? I'm sure he'd ryther work on GOW. Don't know whether Crytek put the talented people from Vigil on F2P duties, or are making a cool new IP that puts gameplay first. Sort of excited, I'm sure if it was Ryse 2 and it was good they would be rydeemed.

The director of the worst GoW game working on Ryse 2, can't wait!

I'd say Chains of Olympus is the worst GoW game, and regardless, Ascension was a load better than Ryse.

Anyway, good luck to Todd. I thought Ascension got a bad rap, but it was still a great game with excellent combat.

Does Microsoft own the Ryse IP? Or would they have to pay for exclusivity for a sequel?

No, Crytek owns the IP, but MS probably own the publishing rights for a trilogy of games. Either way, I'd bet there will be more.

V_Ben

Banned
Guy knows how to make action games. Even at it's worst, Ascension was still a great action title. Him on Ryse 2 has me actually interested in Ryse. Yay.

Acosta

I really hope is Darksiders... I would really love a Darksiders with Crytech technical know ho and a core of ex Vigil on it, it could be some great.

I completed Ryse and aside of stunning graphics it was quite forgettable, I don't see any interesting future development for it.

NeoGash

I really hope is Darksiders... I would really love a Darksiders with Crytech technical know ho and a core of ex Vigil on it, it could be some great.

I completed Ryse and aside of stunning graphics it was quite forgettable, I don't see any interesting future development for it.

Crytek only hired some of the Darksiders employees, they do not own Darksiders IP. Nordic Games do and they are apparently still trying to see what they can do with it. They will need to assemble a team first. The A Team..

UnrealEck

Well, looks like Crytek have moved away from bringing cutting edge gameplay and fantastic AI to the PC platform.

This makes me sad.

Top Bottom