• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toho/Godzilla is suing Anne Hathaway's kaiju movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.avclub.com/article/company-owns-godzilla-suing-anne-hathaways-kaiju-m-219677

the Japanese film company that owns the rights to Godzilla, is suing the producers of an upcoming kaiju movie. They charge that the people behind Colossal, in which Anne Hathaway plays a New York woman who travels to Tokyo after discovering she has with a psychic link to the beast, are “brazenly producing, advertising, and selling an unauthorized Godzilla film of their own.”

The charges come from a pitch email for the film that was sent to potential distributors and investors and included an image from Gareth Edwards’ 2013 Godzilla reboot as well as the phrase, “Tokyo is under attack by Godzilla and a giant robot.”
Director and now co-defendant Nacho Vigalondo may have also unwittingly contributed to the demise of his own film in an interview given last year where he said, “It’s going to be the cheapest Godzilla movie ever, I promise. It’s going to be a serious Godzilla movie but I’ve got an idea that’s going to make it so cheap that you will feel betrayed.” Production company Voltage Pictures doesn’t look very good in all of this either, considering the company filed mass lawsuits against people who illegally appropriated its intellectual property by downloading movies in 2010 and 2013.
According to its complaint—filed in California federal court earlier today—Toho wants production on Colossal stopped immediately, along with unspecified damages.

Colossal isn’t scheduled to begin production until September, so there presumably aren’t any production stills to include in initial promotional materials. And “Godzilla” is kind of like “Kleenex”—technically a brand name, but used as shorthand for a whole range of products/nuclear metaphors. But isn’t there some sort of concept art they could be using in promotional materials instead of stills of a copyrighted character from a recent movie? Clearly, not a lot of thought went into that promotional email (note that Vigalondo’s name is also spelled incorrectly), but the Photoshopped poster and director’s notes show forethought and intent. There’s probably an opening in Voltage Pictures’ marketing department, is what we’re saying.

640.jpg

640.jpg

This movie sounds terrible. Anne, why.

Takao

Banned
godzilla vs mazinger has potential

wasn't there some old godzilla movie that was framed as though it wasn't a godzilla movie?

Hazmat

I came in thinking "Fuck them, they don't own the concept of giant monsters" and then I saw the picture. Yeah, that's Godzilla.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow at that poster. They straight up took 2014 Godzilla and shopped him on there.

I came in expecting to be mad at Toho but they definitely have a case here.

Corpekata

Banned
Did she think this was actually like a quick commercial or something and would never see the light of day outside of certain countries?

She can't be that hard up for cash yet.

Akahige

So they used the image of Godzilla and the name to sell the movie to investors, that was stupid. The plotline seems like it could actually be interesting in the the right hands but the director hasn't seemed to make anything worth watching since Timecrimes.

In the movie — described as Transformers versus Adaptation and Godzilla meets Being John Malkovich; Hathaway will play Gloria, an ordinary woman who, after losing her job and her fiancé, decides to leave her life in New York to move back to her hometown.

Ayy....

There's no way they could have thought they'd get away with this. What madmen.

As an aside, the world needs real Godzilla movies. ASAP.

So they used the image of Godzilla and the name to sell the movie to investors, that was stupid. The plotline seems like it could actually be interesting in the the right hands but the director hasn't seemed to make anything worth watching since Timecrimes.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, the thing's obviously internal concept art, not what the final release poster's gonna be.

It's like pitching Edge of Tomorrow as a cross between Starship Troopers and Groundhog Day. If you were gonna do that, it wouldn't be some awful sin to have some preliminary concept art featuring Starship Troop... well wait, I guess the movie Starship Troopers really didn't have any powered armor, so that's a bad example. Okay, but uh... well, you know what I mean.

Mortemis

Banned
That doesn't "look" like it, that's straight up Godzilla and Mazinger.

But fuck me if I wouldn't be down to see a Godzilla vs Mazinger movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom