• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE |OT| Do You Remember MegaTen?

So glad to see this pop up on the front page again. Re-read through the OP to recall stuff. Playing Persona 5 now and loving it. This was my first game of this type and I keep drawing parallels in my head. Put 70-80 hours into. Hope we see a follow up.

Rappy

Nobody in TMS is charming. Your boss is a skanky lush who trades in exploiting vulnerable teens. Barry is... well he's Barry. Tsubasa is a dimwit. The redhead guy is ok. I guess the happa girl is pretty much the same in TMS as in P5, but at least Ann recognizes that her field is full of scumbags unlike naive-ass archer girl.
Yeah, okay. Still more charming than the majority of the P5 main cast. And Ann is more comparable to Tsubasa in terms character motivations/storyline, not Ellie. I think many people agree that the text conversations in P5 are quite lacking in personality (I can only think of Futaba as the only one with personality at all in those texts), especially in comparison with TMS #FE's.
There's barely anything that requires the touchscreen that you could just pull up on your main screen.

Yeah, okay. Still more charming than the majority of the P5 main cast. And Ann is more comparable to Tsubasa in terms character motivations/storyline, not Ellie. I think many people agree that the text conversations in P5 are quite lacking in personality (I can only think of Futaba as the only one with personality at all in those texts), especially in comparison with TMS #FE's.

There's barely anything that requires the touchscreen that you could just pull up on your main screen.

I think it really depends on how much you're willing to indulge TMS's tropiness. The conversations in P5 do lack a certain charm, especially due to some of the awkward phrasing in the localization. But some of the main characters get interesting arcs and solid characterization (ex. Futaba, Yusuke) that, while not necessarily complex, at least has some depth. Whereas the characters in TMS are fun to hang around but have pretty simple arcs--
Tsubasa learns to be confident, Kiria learns to embrace her cute side, Yashiro learns to lean on people, etc.
Like, Tsubasa's obviously the adorable dumdum clutz, and if you've grown really tired of that stereotype then you're not going to find it charming. But it's also a cliche that people like, and I still found her entertaining.

I just find the two games are so different in tone that comparing their stories or characters isn't that useful. They're trying to do different things and both come off better when judged on their own merits, as opposed to trying to fit them inside the framework of another game. To steal a characterization from one of the Persona 5 threads, Persona 5 is smash-the-system teen punk, and TMS is bubblegum pop.

Pyrokai

I just started this game! I'm only an hour in and I'm already a little confused, lol.

When I learn these new skills, how do I know which category to put them under? Like Session or not? If I mess up, can I correct my mistakes later?

Linkyn

I just started this game! I'm only an hour in and I'm already a little confused, lol.

When I learn these new skills, how do I know which category to put them under? Like Session or not? If I mess up, can I correct my mistakes later?

As far as I remember, the categories are chosen automatically. The slots are only there to limit the total number of abilities you can have at any one time. At first, your party members just learn new abilities. You won't have to decide which ones to keep until you're a few chapters into the game.

Abilities are all tied to weapons, so once you've maxed out a weapon, you'll only be able to learn additional abilities by equipping a new one (this perpetually pushes you to craft new and better weapons). With many of these, there is a certain overlap, and it's quite common to learn the same ability multiple times (in which case the ability is simply improved a bit). For the same reason, you can always relearn skills after you've forgotten them (later, you'll get the ability to upgrade weapons, which resets their level and indirectly allows you to respecc).

RPGCrazied

20 hours in. Chapter 4. Love the music. Its pretty funny at times too. Barry is hilarious. The only downer so far, is no dub, but it doesn't kill the game that much.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was surprised how much I enjoyed TMS, because i honestly was disappointed when they showed first look of the game after SMT X FE teaser.

But better than Persona 5? HELL NO!!! I enjoyed combat, dungeons, art style and characters way more in P5. the only thing I say TMS did better was texting.

But thats just my opinion, is not really crazy to think there are people who enjoyed TMS more than P5.

RPGCrazied

If you think about it, every side story is an Itsuki side story.

I guess.

Another thing I don't like is when you change your costume, it changes your battle costume. So far, none of the costumes look better then their battle costumes.

There should have been a way to use costumes for when you are running around doing requests and stuff.

Persona 5 had this problem too.

I picked up a used copy for like 1000 yen ($10 give or take) a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it a shot on a whim over this last weekend.

I am having a really great time with it so far. I like the art style and character design (even if it is a bit trope-y that is obviously on purpose) and the battles are a lot of fun! I think I am actually enjoying this game's battle system more than I did Persona 5, but I might still be in the honeymoon stage.

Looking forward to playing more over the summer break we have coming up!

Yesterday I finally finished the 4th chapter!
Fuck this boss!!!
i hate that he always changed his type, but at least I could easily defeat that other guy!!
Chapter 5 looks awesome, but I'm afraid that the games end is near ...

RPGCrazied

Got to say this game gets hard. Even on the friendly setting if you aren't careful you can get wrecked on some bosses.

I'm nearing level 50, and trying to find all the
dragon stone pieces for the cosmic egg.

Man, I miss this game. Definitely one of my favorite games on the Wii U and maybe even my 2016 GOTY. I really hope Atlus makes a sequel for the Switch. Or even just an enhanced port of the original. I'd double dip for sure.

Ooo, nice that this OT came around again.
I actually started this a couple weeks ago, until Splatoon 2 came out.
Pretty sure I'm stuck somewhere on Chapter 5. I've been using Swap DRC (a homebrew app) to play the game Off-TV. It's been phenomenal.
Maybe I'll actually tackle the Megaten games in my backlog after this one.

oti

Banned
Ooo, nice that this OT came around again.
I actually started this a couple weeks ago, until Splatoon 2 came out.
Pretty sure I'm stuck somewhere on Chapter 5. I've been using Swap DRC (a homebrew app) to play the game Off-TV. It's been phenomenal.
Maybe I'll actually tackle the Megaten games in my backlog after this one.

Oh man! That sounds rad! I stopped playing after 20h because it was such a hassle playing it on TV. Only finished Persona 4 Golden because it was on a handheld. Too bad I've already sold my Wii U.

RPGCrazied

God damn
Shadow Dragon.

I barely get through his first form, had no idea of a second, and that draes ire move is so annoying, literally just wipes people. That long fight, wasted.
This was all on friendly. lol

Taking a break from this game, I guess I have to grind, not doing that right now.

Griss

Took a break from this game after Chapter 2 because I got a Switch with Splatoon 2.

The fact that I'm actually itching to go back to it is pretty damn high praise considering I'm usually not a fan of JRPGs. Really fun, solid game.

Tsubasa for FE Heroes, damn it.

EDIT: Also, I looked up the non-censored chapter 2. Not a huge deal, imo, and I can see why they changed it for the west - we just don't have that kind of glamour modelling culture here, it would have been taken entirely the wrong way by many players. Then again, most players into this game would be well aware of Japanese culture, so... Would have preferred they not change it, but it's not anything like the storm of negativity made it out to be.

Jawmuncher

I’m
Half tempted to get the level up DLC. It feels way too slow on this game even on easy. Especially since you need skills to really get any sort of background XP for characters not in the party

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My only real problem with the entire game was not having subtitles for any in battle conversation...which there is a ton of.

Celegus

Really need to finish this! I think I'm right near the end,
climbing a tower of block puzzles looking for the dragon in chapter 6
. I assume that's close-ish? Got sidetracked by Persona 5 but recently beat it so this is next on the list.

neoemonk

I actually bought this at launch but was busy playing other games and forgot I even had it until just now when I saw this thread!

Griss

My only real problem with the entire game was not having subtitles for any in battle conversation...which there is a ton of.

For real. What on Earth does kono joshio mean? (I've probably typed that incorrectly but you know what I mean...)

dottme

They said last year that they want to do sequel or a port if given the opportunity at the Enter the Kingdom concert and their interview. Though it was when Switch was known as NX but It's not off the table.

Also, if I remember well, I think there was a survey asking if people were interested in different sequel including TMS2.

I have hope. I've waited for Shenmue 3 a long time. I can wait for TMS2.

Top Bottom