• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Chick (GFW) Reviews Hellgate: London

Akia

Link: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164383

Tom Chick said:
Dear Hellgate: London,

You should have been a no-brainer. An action-RPG from an independent developer founded by the original creators of Diablo? A sci-fi postapocalyptic setting mixed with the supernatural? A 3D engine of randomized levels built around London's ruined landmarks? Demons and zombies and gnarled fleshy things called Hellmeats? Sign me up! Even the confused announcements about your special content for subscribers were intriguing. After all, with so much competition for online dollars, surely a publisher like EA and a group of veteran developers like the guys at Flagship Studios understand they must rise to the occasion. Surely they know that World of WarCraft is waiting on my desktop, just a few icons over. Surely, Hellgate, you'd be up to the task. (Full Text Here)
Score:

This review is so awesome.

spootime

Generic Fantasy World No. 117

Lol

This sucks, as i really wanted to play an mmo other than wow. Oh well. Did tabula rasa fail too???

man...Hellgate can't catch a break

...I just built a new comp too and wanted to give the final build a whirl.....it just seems like its sooo not worth the time =/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Every indication so far that Hellgate's a disaster so this doesn't come as a surprise. And you can always count on Tom to not pull punches, with this being the natural result.

lexi

Banned
Hellgategate.

Gabe said:
Now I'm going to tell you how advertising on PA works. Every other game site out there takes ads for whatever game they can get. It doesn't matter if it's a pile of crap, if the publisher pays for the spot IGN or Gamespot or whoever will run the ad. That's fine but that's not how we do it and the news posts you just read are part of the reason why.

We were huge fans of the first Prince of Persia game so when Ubi came to us and wanted to run ads for the second we said yes. We had no idea they were going to completely fuck it over. So from then on we started demanding playable copies of games before we'd agree to advertising. No matter how early the build we tell the publishers that unless we can see it played in front of us or play it ourselves we won't run ads for it. Obviously a lot can still go wrong during development but we make the best decisions we can. We do not think of the ads you see on our page as ads. They are recommendations and we try extremely hard to insure that anything we put over there is worth your time.

89qjlt4.jpg

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Gamer @ Heart said:
Why so late?

Because we wanted him to have enough time to play it online after it officially launched. As opposed to some folks who basically reviewed the beta. (Of course, since it's still kind of IN beta, maybe this was moot.)

Mar

It's pretty sad that they released it the way it was and expected people to swallow it while they fix it over time.

JeffGreen said:
Because we wanted him to have enough time to play it online after it officially launched. As opposed to some folks who basically reviewed the beta. (Of course, since it's still kind of IN beta, maybe this was moot.)

IGN got alot of shit for the same thing. :/

Poor hellgate.

Draft

Gamer @ Heart said:
IGN got alot of shit for the same thing. :/

Poor hellgate.
If IGN hadn't drawn attention to the fact that they weren't reviewing it, they probably wouldn't have gotten any shit.

Also Hellgate Sucks.

Ryan Scott

Neo Member
Not to be a whiny bitch, but would you mind not providing a complete cut-'n'-pasted text block of the review? Those links ain't gonna click themselves. :)

Akia

GFW should bring Roper back on the brodeo for an afterthoughts session. Flagship must've been forced to rush this game for the holidays. They knew the type of reception their game would get in it's current form. What puzzles me is that in all the interviews and podcasts the developers never expressed the desire to delay the game. I feel like Flagship let their game launch with out a parachute.

JeffGreen

Akia said:
GFW should bring Roper back on the brodeo for an afterthoughts session. Flagship must've been forced to rush this game for the holidays. They knew the type of reception their game would get in it's current form. What puzzles me is that in all the interviews and podcasts the developers never expressed the desire to delay the game. I feel like Flagship let their game launch with out a parachute.

He's totally welcome to come back for an afterthoughts session. I'd love that. As long as he doesn't bring a gun. Or O.J.

Consider this his official invite!

MrDaravon

JeffGreen said:
He's totally welcome to come back for an afterthoughts session. I'd love that. As long as he doesn't bring a gun. Or O.J.

What if OJ doesn't see the gun?

Ryan Scott said:
Not to be a whiny bitch, but would you mind not providing a complete cut-'n'-pasted text block of the review? Those links ain't gonna click themselves. :)
Just for you, I clicked the link!

(I never bother usually, even if it's only a couple of lines of quoted text. :lol )

teiresias

Too bad no one had the balls to say anything like that to the devs face on 1Up Yours. Bit of integrity lost there and everyone knew the damn thing sucked at that point.

JeffGreen

teiresias said:
Too bad no one had the balls to say anything like that to the devs face on 1Up Yours. Bit of integrity lost there and everyone knew the damn thing sucked at that point.

Bah--they might not have. No one from GFW was on that show. We're the guys who know stuff.

I kid! I kid!

JeffGreen said:
Bah--they might not have. No one from GFW was on that show. We're the guys who know stuff.

I kid! I kid!

Since you are posting in this thread and i am one of the lazier listeners, a shout of love for your podcast.

MoeB

I cannot believe that they have the guts to charge $10 a month for this game. I'm not that big of a PC gamer anymore but after listening to the GFW podcast this week, I thought that the monthly subscription fee only gave players special items and "recipes."
Madness, this is. They should have just not released it.

Akia

Ryan Scott said:

I usually just post snippets but since this review was more of a narrative I thought it would be cruel to cut it short.

Alas if you would rather resort to cruelty then so be it.

watership

Critical reception is pretty cold across the board. Such potential in the game too.

The only site I've seen that really loves this game is videogameshow.org. They've pretty much talked nonstop about the game on their podcast since they heard it was sort of a new diablo. It's also the reason I stopped listening. Too bad too, because it was a great podcast once. But when the people on a podcast can't talk about any other games because they play nothing but a mediocre pseudo-MMO, it's time to get out.

Tangent.

K0NY

Tom Chick's reviews are always about making him look good. The game is just an excuse to write, it seems. But then, I'm biased so pay no attention.

Akia

K0NY said:
Tom Chick's reviews are always about making him look good. The game is just an excuse to write, it seems. But then, I'm biased so pay no attention.

Did Tom run over your dog or do you work for PC Gamer?

Kittonwy

Banned
JeffGreen said:

I'm sorry but aren't there better games that have developers who can come on the podcast to promote and talk about things instead of giving Roper yet another chance to promote a game that in your site's opinion, isn't even decent? Your mag is about GAMES, right? Why not give the great games a bigger voice instead of giving so much attention to the bad ones?
Indifferent2.gif

K0NY

Akia said:
Did Tom run over your dog or do you work for PC Gamer?
Nah, I dealt with him and his buddies at the forum he runs. His lack of interpersonal skills and bias against Sony rubbed me the wrong way...sorry to derail.

DeBurgo

Damn. It totally deserves it though. And really it's not like the game can just get patched, because there are so many things that just need to be redone from the ground up for the game to be a memorable and interesting experience. I think patches might bring it up from bad to above average or even good, but it will never, ever be the excellent title it was trying to sell itself as.

fallout

Kittonwy said:
I'm sorry but aren't there better games that have developers who can come on the podcast to promote and talk about things instead of giving Roper yet another chance to promote a game that in your site's opinion, isn't even decent? Your mag is about GAMES, right? Why not give the great games a bigger voice instead of giving so much attention to the bad ones?
Indifferent2.gif
Last I checked, the 1Up crew will take just about anyone if they're interested (not saying they're whores or anything ...).

Top Bottom