• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Chick's (Quarter to Three) Top 10 Lists for 2016

Thoraxes

I kinda disagree with his Overwatch burn, but mostly because I watched all the developer shit they put out where they talked a lot about TF2 and its influence on Overwatch. He's not entirely wrong, but it's slightly misguided.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Is Offworld Trading Company really that good? It appears to be cheap on Steam right now. I'm wondering how much Tom's love of Soren and CivIV has resulted in him rating this game so highly.

Is Offworld Trading Company really that good? It appears to be cheap on Steam right now. I'm wondering how much Tom's love of Soren and CivIV has resulted in him rating this game so highly.
He's not the only one

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/29/offworld-trading-company-review/
...a strategic simulation of a sci-fi Martian economy. It’s also one of the smartest strategy games I’ve ever played.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/offworld-trading-company-review/1900-6416420/
Offworld is a revelation. It's almost unparalleled in the genre. Each and every game is thrilling. Every moment is a challenge. And the brutality of the free market ensures that you can never rest on your laurels, less you be quashed by the invisible hand.

http://www.pcgamer.com/offworld-trading-company-review/
Master its complex systems and Offworld Trading Company is ruthless, immediate and thoroughly rewarding.

It is that good.

Solid multiplayer, great campaign, new story focused DLC (that's cheap) expands it more, fun economic battles rather then military, fantastic OST by Christopher Tin, and it keeps being maintained and expanded by the devs. It got Steam Workshop mod support just yesterday.

Thanks guys. I guess I should buy it. Hopefully I can find the time to get accustomed to the systems.
Check out Kotaku's review
http://kotaku.com/offworld-trading-company-the-kotaku-review-1773530203
It doesn’t take long to learn to play OTC, especially since it’s got a fantastic (and funny) set of tutorials. Once you get the hang of how the market works and how you claim tiles, you’re ready to go. And yet the game is still incredibly complex because of the possibilities of what you can do with what looks like a limited array of tools.

It is that good.

Solid multiplayer, great campaign, new story focused DLC (that's cheap) expands it more, fun economic battles rather then military, fantastic OST by Christopher Tin, and it keeps being maintained and expanded by the devs. It got Steam Workshop mod support just yesterday.
Was going to get Astroneer but it sounds like it has performance issues, and Tom Chick's review sold me on OTC instead

Which DLC would you recommend?

I kinda disagree with his Overwatch burn, but mostly because I watched all the developer shit they put out where they talked a lot about TF2 and its influence on Overwatch. He's not entirely wrong, but it's slightly misguided.

Yeah. I can only play so much 2fort.

The way they made Overwatch corrected all my issues with TF2. In a perfect world Valve would've made TF3 in 2012 and all this would have been moot.

But, lol Valve

Was going to get Astroneer but it sounds like it has performance issues, and Tom Chick's review sold me on OTC instead

Which DLC would you recommend?

The Patron and the Patriot expands the campaign with some interesting additions. Probably the one to the get first, but I still haven't gotten around to play it that much.

The Ceres Iniative is good when you feel that you want more of the game, but it's not needed to start with.

DocSeuss

The only thing that pisses me off here is that he liked Shadow Warrior 2, and I am envious of anyone who could, because it was my bitterest disappointment of the year.

I wanted to love it as much as the first.

I love that he covers interesting games. A much more average list would've been a bunch of games everyone else talks about. You'd have a bunch of the same people from the same publications talking about the same 10 or so games, most of which they played on the PS4 or something. It's always boring. Not Chick. He's always enjoyable.

The only thing that pisses me off here is that he liked Shadow Warrior 2, and I am envious of anyone who could, because it was my bitterest disappointment of the year.

I love that he covers interesting games. A much more average list would've been a bunch of games everyone else talks about. You'd have a bunch of the same people from the same publications talking about the same 10 or so games, most of which they played on the PS4 or something. It's always boring. Not Chick. He's always enjoyable.
Chick, Parkin, and Time's are the lists I look forward to every year. And then searching the GAF thread for certain indie games and seeing the lists of the posters who included them.

Like if someone include a game like Offworld or Shadow Tactics or some other more obscure indie game on a list, It's probably going to be a pretty interesting list. Like lists with Age of Decadence last year

Always good to read his stuff. I disagree with it as often as I agree with it, but he does a good job of explaining his perspective.
Also, I need to try Quadrilateral Cowboy.

I don't know who the guy is but that writing had me chuckling the whole way through. I'll try to keep tabs on him some more in the future.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I like his explanation of overrated, and I'll post it again in case people skipped over it the first time.

Overrated is a loaded term. It looks good in a headline. It’s often used for no purpose other than to goad a reaction. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t useful. When I call a game overrated, I don’t mean it’s bad, that the reviews were wrong, that the people who liked it were dopes, or even that I didn’t like it. It just means I’m surprised more people weren’t more critical, that the conversation wasn’t more often about ways the game could have been better.

I really like playing Shadow Warrior 2 (especially the movement mechanics and variety of weapons), and don't even mind the loot system. It's just disappointing story-wise, I don't care as much about the characters. In what other ways were you disappointed?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I rarely agree with Tom Chick, but Odin Sphere is indeed awesome.

Top Bottom