• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Prey 2: Pray Harder confirmed (2012) [Update: HAHAHAHA post 107, 430]

Ryan_OXM said:
Uh, guys, the press release doesn't say ANYTHING about id Tech 5.

Also, the game is very, VERY different than what you think it is. I'll be curious to hear your reactions when you read our feature story.

slightly disappointed to hear about it not using id tech 5 but it being 'very, VERY different' is exciting stuff.
the video from 1998 is incredible, if only huh?

Ryan_OXM said:
Also, the game is very, VERY different than what you think it is. I'll be curious to hear your reactions when you read our feature story.
Third person shooter with bald space marines confirmed.

industrialfan225 said:
If it was using IDtech 4, it would probably be out already.

It's funny to asume that developers somehow go from one game to the next in a lineair fashion. The fact that Bethesda bought the rights in 2009, as shown previously in this thread, should give you a much more reasonable timescale.

proof of concept (or pitch, or something) > purchase of rights by publisher > active development, that kind of thing. So basically it's just the 2-3 years of development time plan for release, assuming this stays a 2012 title.

Spoo

industrialfan225 said:
If it was using IDtech 4, it would probably be out already.

You would think, but you're probably wrong here, and here's why:

1) Human Head worked with 3D Realms on Prey and the game was mildly successful. It did well enough to warrant a sequel, as can be seen.

2) Radar Group (Scott Miller-founded, also the same Miller who is president of 3D Realms) began working with developers to develop concepts worthy of creating games. Radar, however, most likely stumbled onto hard times: Earth No More (Recoil games) was one of their projects, and it is now on indefinite hold due to legal troubles. Prey 2 was on their website as an in-development project as well. Not much was said about it, but we can assume production was in motion.

3) 3D Realms, thanks to the 2K suit, and other issues, obviously had to let go of their staff and sell the Duke IP and game to Gearbox. With Earth No More in turmoil, and obvious financial difficulty, whatever Prey 2 was had to be saved.

4) Bethesda picks up the rights in 2009. idTech 5 is still in development, and with Doom 4 getting started as another internal project, very little support could probably be lent to Prey 2 -- a game already in development by Human Head. As far as I understand the pipeline of development for an id Tech 5 game differs greatly from id Tech 4.

The big thing to realize is that id Tech 4 has semi-support for megatexture technology, and is a VERY competent engine. I wouldn't be concerned at all about the visuals, and, really, if you want to make a killer fps game the time-frame is about correct for them. So, in short, no, it doesn't have to be out already.

Cmagus

Apparently this is it on the cover of Game Reactor

gamereactor83_239491.jpg

V_Ben

Banned
That... looks interesting.

Also, Pete Hines' (Bethesda Guy) twitter says this;
It's worth clarifying that this Prey 2 is not what was announced before by anyone else. This is the Prey 2 Human Head wanted to make.

So... they started again it sounds like.

Zeliard

lol @ thread title change

Maybe it's just really, really, really bad character design and doesn't speak to the game's direction

ONE CAN HOPE

derFeef

Cmagus said:
Question is, is that Tommy or is this an entirely new game
That´s not Tommy. I had high hopes because Human Head is doing it. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but this direction seems terrible.

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
First Tom Clancy takes SSX and now Prey

First thing I thought of when I saw that cover was SSX. It's probably headed down that road. OXM dude even said that this was something very different than Prey. Well what the fuck is the point, then. Prey was memorable because it was already so different, and would still be very different released today.

Cmagus

derFeef said:
That´s not Tommy. I had high hopes because Human Head is doing it. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but this direction seems terrible.

Yeah I don't think so either but you never know look at condemned that character design changed drastically.I'll hold any judgement till I see gameplay or screens hopefully the gameplay is fun like the original.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zeliard said:
First thing I thought of when I saw that cover was SSX. It's probably headed down that road. OXM dude even said that this was something very different than Prey. Well what the fuck is the point, then. Prey was memorable because it was already so different, and would still be very different released today.
This was greenlit by the same focus group as SSX, Max Payne 3, and X-COM.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nirolak said:
Prey 2: Pray Harder
omg

Ok so obviously it will be set in a futuristic alien city (that used to be on Earth, but was warped away) and now it is a warping gravity changing open area battle royale sort of like Infamous.
I guarantee it.

Top Bottom