• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Hideo Kojima Xbox Game Is (Almost certanly) Overdose

Lognor

Banned
Are you feeling ok? That game is F2P, it's not on gamepass.

I'll play absolutely anything he puts out as long as it's not a mobile game, it's that simple.
Knowing that his next game is a "mobile game", what are you more interested in playing now: Abandoned or Overdose?

GHG

Gold Member
Knowing that his next game is a "mobile game", what are you more interested in playing now: Abandoned or Overdose?

Abandoned....

Im Fine GIF by MOODMAN

The footage is of it being played on a phone.

I can't wait to see some people start stanning for a mobile game. Its going to be glorious.
After I saw how people play COD mobile I don't think they would have a hard time playing slow paced next gen horror game ala PT streamed from xcloud. Do you think death stranding couldn't technically be played from a mobile?
I personally think that a Horror game developed by such a famous developer as Kojima could become a real showcase for the cloud. A horror game doesn't need responsiveness of an action game nor the speed and accuracy of an FPS. My only fear is that Project Mara could be a duplicate (more oriented on the problems of insanity and mental problems)) of the kojima game

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
After I saw how people play COD mobile I don't think they would have a hard time playing slow paced next gen horror game ala PT streamed from xcloud. Do you think death stranding couldn't technically be played from a mobile?
I personally think that a Horror game developed by such a famous developer as Kojima could become a real showcase for the cloud. A horror game doesn't need responsiveness of an action game nor the speed and accuracy of an FPS. My only fear is that Project Mara could be a duplicate (more mentally oriented) of the kojima game

Having played death stranding on a 65 inch OLED with a 7.1.2 surround sound system I have no idea why the fuck someone would decide to play a blockbuster like that on a shitty mobile device.

It's not about whether it could work, it's about whether it should. What a waste of visuals, art and sound design.

arvfab

Banned
His fanbase will follow him. A ton of Kojima fans are about to buy Xbox consoles!

Was it announced as an exclusive?
While I think it is, as far as we know, this could be a multiplatform (maybe even mobile only) project based on Azure.

coffinbirth

I think this video was something Kojima produced to pitch the game to Stadia, which is why it was on a Pixel phone (to suck up to Google). Stadia rejected the game and he went to MS, but someone has leaked the original pitch video to people.
The game wasn't rejected, it was cancelled mid-development, same as Journey to the Savage Planet 2. Kojima mentioned this in an interview at the time. https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/18332936/

arvfab

Banned
Yes, Xbox entered a partnership with KojiPro to release a PS5 game.

It's Xbox/PC/Cloud like all their first party stuff.

Is it really that strange of a thought?
I mean, Sony entered a partnership with MLB to release an Xbox game....

I repeat, I think it will be a Microsoft exclusive, but did they say so?

Having played death stranding on a 65 inch OLED with a 7.1.2 surround sound system I have no idea why the fuck someone would decide to play a blockbuster like that on a shitty mobile device.

It's not about whether it could work, it's about whether it should. What a waste of visuals, art and sound design.
It seems that you are confusing a mobile game with a game developed to take advantage of the possibilities of being streamed. I repeat a PT game (a demo that sent the world into ecstasy) would not change the final experience (if not that of visual fidelity) if played from a mobile. I am sure that the kojima game can be installed on PC and console for greater fidelity but it can also be continued on tablet phones without deteriorating the gaming experience (or at least only visually). Kojima always tries to innovate and I don't know what other advantage he could pull out of the cloud curious to see it but if you are expecting a mobile game I think you are enormously wrong

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is probably his cancelled episodic horror Stadia game. Xbox will be a much better fit for this type of thing since it has 10 million xCloud users. Will probably look something like this with the on-screen controls...
maxresdefault.0.jpg

I haven't followed all this very closely, but the other Sony game is probably Death Stranding 2, which is why Reedus was talking about it. That leaves Abandoned, which is simply a scam just like Hasan's previous mobile game from ~2016 that never released.

Barlow

Probably something like "Pax Dai" from Mainframe
Cloud-native here means that players can access the same game through any device. The studio is also exploring potential gameplay mechanics that can only work in a game that exists primarily on a remote server.

One key concept, however, is that mechanics scale in terms of complexity. While anyone can do anything in Pax Dei on any device, certain tasks will make more sense depending on where you are playing. So if you’re on your phone at work, you can open up the game and quickly do some crafting or resource farming. Then, when you get home to your PC or console, you can take on some of the more complex missions like raids.

He made Death Stranding in three years. It's been nearly three years since Death Stranding

Hard to believe he's only got two early projects in development.

It does. How does it not? If a game is designed around being played natively on a large screen and you suddenly decide to stream it to a tiny screen then your experience is immediately compromised, even if you take latency out of the equation. If you add in latency then you become severely compromised. What's the only way around that? Design the whole experience around it being played on small screens.

So given I can play my PS5 games on my phone via remote play, are Sony going to start designing all their games just for phones?

Surely the point of streaming games is to eliminate the need for developers to have to design their games for phones? They can just design a game as they normally would, and people can play it on whatever screen they want.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought the whole point of this cloud gaming vision from Kojima was to allow him to do some crazy shit with the experience, or am I getting mixed up with something else.

I heard rumours that it could call your phone or something weird...I dunno, maybe I'm tripping.

coffinbirth

He made Death Stranding in three years. It's been nearly three years since Death Stranding

The Stadia project, which is almost certainly this, began development in 2019. Whether that was full blown development, or pre-production wasn't revealed. For whatever that's worth.

Lognor

Banned
Is it really that strange of a thought?
I mean, Sony entered a partnership with MLB to release an Xbox game....

I repeat, I think it will be a Microsoft exclusive, but did they say so?
Fuck, some of you all seem desperate.

Sony entered a partnership with MLB because the latter FORCED it. They said release it everywhere or you lose the license. The license to a game that has sold millions every year. MLB strong armed them. That's not really the same situation here. There is only potential at this point. Why would Microsoft FUND a game (it's a partnership, like Kojima said) that will appear on PS? That doesn't make any sense and goes against their strategy. New IPS they said will be on platforms that have Game Pass. Now if Sony allows Game Pass that's another story. But we both know that's not happening.

BoxFresh123

I can see why PS passed on this if the reports were true. Not because it wont be good but Sony want those single layer narrative Kojima games ahead of anything else experimental.

coffinbirth

You make it sound like it's a mobile game. It has a mobile aspect, but surely this is a thing that will be playable on, you know, an Xbox.
It was cancelled not long after though
Sure, but but hard to say when that initial deal was drawn up, how much pre-production was already done, etc. Point being, it probably won't be three years before we get this game.

You make it sound like it's a mobile game. It has a mobile aspect, but surely this is a thing that will be playable on, you know, an Xbox.

Sure, but but hard to say when that initial deal was drawn up, how much pre-production was already done, etc. Point being, it probably won't be three years before we get this game.

According to Grubb they only had a letter of intent signed last year.

DaGwaphics

I thought the whole point of this cloud gaming vision from Kojima was to allow him to do some crazy shit with the experience, or am I getting mixed up with something else.

I heard rumours that it could call your phone or something weird...I dunno, maybe I'm tripping.
That's what I'm assuming from the rumors.

The idea that the game is built to leverage a powerful cloud backend but is interchangeable with a local mobile game seems embarrassingly stupid to me. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Again, work has already been done. Unless they completely scrap what they had been working on, which according to Henderson, seems to be substantial...it will likely be less than 3 years, as I said.

Nothing Henderson has said indicates whatever he was shown was substantial.

I can see this coming in less than three years by virtue of this being a small title. But again. It's nearly been three years since Death Stranding. There's still an unexplained gap.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Nothing Henderson has said indicates whatever he was shown was substantial.

I can see this coming in less than three years by virtue of this being a small title. But again. It's already nearly been three years since Death Stranding. There's still an unexplained gap
It's a game in action...not just pre-production stills. I would certainly call that substantial.

kyliethicc

I can't wait to see some people start stanning for a mobile game. Its going to be glorious.
It’s not really a mobile game. Just can be played on a phone.

He wants to run the game on server PCs and have people stream the game, like Stadia.

It’s why he originally pitched the game to Stadia.

CzcOHgl.jpg

deeptech

That's what makes me wonder as well, exactly two and half years of NOTHING? Come on, there's gotta be something we don't know about. I hope we live long enough to enjoy whatever it is that he's making.

coffinbirth

It's not difficult to get something up and running quickly with modern engines.
As someone whom has worked with "modern engines" what was described here smacks of something that is more than proof of concept, and it's always fucking difficult, lol.

Unless the bottomless pockets of Microsoft introduces Kojima scope creep of old, or the previous work was scrapped(unlikely considering kojiPro trying to have Henderson redact his story) I expect this game is fully underway already.

As someone whom has worked with "modern engines" what was described here smacks of something that is more than proof of concept, and it's always fucking difficult, lol.

We have a fucking title screen and gameplay describes as just walking with a flashlight lmao. No, that's not difficult.

Banned
If it can be played on a phone (without a controller) I'm not sure it's something I'm very interested in...

uhm, many Xcloud games can be played on a phone without controller

Microsoft allows developers to implement mobile specific controls into their games.
Fortnite recently pushed this to the max by literally switching to the Mobile version menu layout and control scheme as soon as it detects a touchscreen input

ParaSeoul

If he didn't say it I don't believe it. Tom Henderson also pushed Abandoned btw,thats his credibility on his own.

uIab0MLQ_400x400.jpg

Kerotan

I called it!

I didn't think there was any way that Koji Pro could be working on three games at once. A lot of of folks were saying otherwise. That Kojima was working on this "smaller" Xbox game and also working on Overdose which was AAA and also working on Death Stranding 2 which of course will be AAA. There was just no way! Glad to see that has essentially been confirmed.

So does MS show the trailer during the extended showcase this week or save it for TGS? If it doesn't show up this week I think they save it for TGS along with even more announcements of Japanese games coming to Xbox! Phil doesn't fuck around. He told you all he would bring you Japanese games!

His fanbase will follow him. A ton of Kojima fans are about to buy Xbox consoles!
Lmao no chance

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm excited for Kojima to do something creative with the medium.

Reportedly he was pretty pissed when Google canceled his project, which means he was probably pretty passionate about it.

?

You can play all Stadia content, including all the AAA games on it, on a phone.

You can do the same for Xcloud as well.

You can do that with PS remote play as well.

Seeing a game being played on a phone in this day and age isn't the mark of negativity that you're making it out to be.

And regarding the cloud stuff, I'll reiterate examples like Flight Sim and Crackdown 3 again, both games stored a lot of local data but used cloud to augment over it, Kojima's project may very well be something like that. We don't know what the scale and scope of his game is.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

This.

No way in hell Kojima has nothing else in the pipeline after three years.

There’s some secret other fuckery going on of some description, and I’m hoping they’ll stop being so coy about it soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom