• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Tom Henderson] TLOU multiplayer could be coming to PS4, Job listing suggests

Calverz

A new job listing on the Naught Dog website suggests that The Last of Us Multiplayer could be coming to both the PS5 and PS4.

The listing for an associate multiplayer quality assurance tester states that the applicant must have “Working knowledge of PS4 and PS5 systems”, suggesting that The Last of US Multiplayer will be a cross-gen game (if the listing is for The Last of Us Multiplayer).

During the 2022 Summer Game Fest, Co-President Neil Druckmann revealed that the project has been in development “for the past two years” before adding “you’re going to see a lot more of this game come next year [2023].”

Druckmann’s comments suggest that we’ll be hearing about The Last of Us multiplayer sometime this year and if the game releases on cross-gen, one has to assume that it could rather sooner rather than later.

Sony is forecasting to increase its PS5 unit sales exponentially in FY23, selling around 30.5 million units, which would put the PS5 at around 68 million units sold by the end of March 2024. With such a large market, it’s likely soon to become unviable for Sony to release games on the PS4 due to development costs.

As for what we know about The Last of Us multiplayer, datamines from The Last of Us 2 have suggested that it’s likely going to be a Battle Royale of some kind. The datamines refer to a “last circle location” and even the name “battle royale”, but it’s possible that things could have change in development since then.

Believe in my generations if old.

Bragr

Banned
giphy.gif

vivftp

A blurb in a job posting isn't really solid evidence of anything. At the very least the game will launch on PS5 and PC day 1 based on the available info we have and statements from folks like Hermen. If Naughty Dog believe that their vision of this game can be run on the PS4 then that's fine. They know better than any of us, and an even larger potential userbase is a boon to live service games.

Some of SIE's live service games will continue to be cross-gen, like MLB, Destiny 2's Lightfall expansion and others. We have indications that the Horizon MP game being worked on could also come to mobile, in which case a PS4 launch makes perfect sense as well. For the vast majority of SIE's titles going forward though, all the info we have indicates that they'll be PS5 only. The major question marks are the live service games.

Gudji

I mean this was kinda expected, imagine thinking they'd pass up on PS4 current users. I bet it will also release on PC day one.

Also, this game is supposed to go a GaaS route so it makes sense that they are including PS4. Also, it’s a MP only title, so does cross gen really matter? It’s not like they need to make a huge sprawling world or worry about advanced AI.

If the first game is any indication, be more worried about micro transactions and pay to win content.

Seems like a terrible idea. Why do you want to chain a game that could potentially keep going for decades to what is now ancient tech? Destiny support for the PS360 was dropped after a while right?

Last edited:
If it's GaaS, then it has to support potato PCs anyway. Might as well support the PS4.
PS4 is almost 10 years old and based on even older tech.

according to Steam the most popular GPUs are the 1650, 1060, and 2060. these cards are 4-7 years old. there is a good amount of people with 3000 cards too. so PS4 is definitely and by far weaker than any of those cards so supporting that console will hold the game back. If ND made the 1050 the minimum required (a card from 5 years ago) then that would be totally fair and reasonable.

and that ain't even taking into consideration RAM and CPU. most people have 6-8 core desktop cpus and 16GB RAM with 8GB VRAM. PS4 only has an 8 core low powered CPU and has 8GB between both CPU and GPU.

Last edited:
Going to remember this shit when PS6 rolls around.

ND might be wizards when it comes to making games look great, but this just holds back current gen. Sony can be so wack.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have to laugh everytime someone erroneously quotes this line. Hilarious how the internet picks and chooses snippets and latches on to them, even if they're out of context.

We see it everyday...from Phil Spencer to big Jim Ryan...so many errors..

The best quote that can't be taken incorrectly will always be big Jim on backwards compatibility....

Verbatim...

" what the fuck is this pile of horse shit...what tiny dicked chode smoking bollock gobbler would want to play this stream of witches piss"

Classic

- Game psychics.
- Complexity of game mechanics
- Size of maps
- Number of players per server.

And a lot more, CPU in PS4 is much weaker than even the ones in potato pc's, and we do not know if Sony is planning to release this on PC anyway. Its 2023 for fuck sake, leave archaic console in dust.

Did you play the first game? None of those will be an issue unless they have dramatically reworked the core design of the game.

Portugeezer

If it's also on PS4, then it must be F2P right?

Why else would they bother putting it on a dying platform unless they expect to capture the F2P kids on hand-me-down consoles?

80% of game sales (something like that) are on next gen platforms. Last gen is dead.

Last edited:

vivftp

yeah because generations don't exist.

Here's the full quote:

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."
Source

Jim Ryan was very clear what he was talking about there. For some reason the internet ran with it as some sort of "gotcha" whenever cross-gen comes up. The quote is about offering unique features to PS5 gamers, not about cross-gen.

Aenima

Wasent there some especulation if this game would be launched day and date with PC because its a multiplayer only game? So going by the job listed they only planing to release it on PS4 and PS5 at launch?

ThisIsMyDog

Did you play the first game? None of those will be an issue unless they have dramatically reworked the core design of the game.
Its hard to talk with you, how a smaller multiplayer mode from 2013 mostly single player game should have any impact on standalone multiplayer experience released in 2023. If not the plan to dramatically reworked the core design then it would release just as a mp mode for Part 2.

and first game was a PS3 game if you remember...

Last edited:
I highly doubt it is coming out for PS4. It makes sense a developer would need PS4 knowledge because the foundation of Factions is TLOU2, as Factions is not getting built from the ground up. By all reports this is supposed to be a long term GAAS game, it just wouldn't make sense imo

These multiplayer games will be everywhere including pc. I’m not surprised. They are going for that Fortnite money and millions still play f2p games on ps4.

Last edited:
Before people lose their minds and get aggressive the PS5 version will look amazing and will have things only on ps5 like Horizen had.I know we want pure PS5 Titels made only for PS5 using all the latest tech.

Last edited:

vivftp

Why stop there Sony?I feel like PS3 players are feeling left out,throw them a bone too,hell I say lets include PS2 players too I mean fuck it.

lol, I wonder what your reaction will be when some of their live service games are crossplay with mobile variants.

SIE's just released Destiny 2 Lightfall which is also on PS4, and are about to release MLB 23 which will also be on PS4. Cross gen will continue on for select titles, especially live service games. Whether TLOU MP will be one of them, we can only guess.

Fake

There is no maybe. The quote was very clear and specific with no room for interpretation. The internets selective amnesia when it comes to things like this will never cease to be stupid and irritating.

Is not so clear. You can take notes from gaming sites around the internet.

And to be honest I don't get 'irritating' by putting guys Phil Spencer or Jin Ryan pushed over the wall.

You're on a gaming forum. Lots of interpretations come from here, you like or not.

vivftp

Is not so clear. You can take notes from gaming sites around the internet.

And to be honest I don't get 'irritating' by putting guys Phil Spencer or Jin Ryan pushed over the wall.

You're on a gaming forum. Lots of interpretations come from here, you like or not.

It's as clear as can be when Jim Ryan gives several examples of what he means right in the article. When people reference that quote from Jim Ryan, they're specifically referencing the article I provided, which is the original source. The irritating part comes from dishonest use of the quote to serve some sort of agenda, usually console warring or some form of lazy "gotcha" from people who want to act clever.

If you think there are other relevant articles that should be cited for that quote, then by all means please present them for review.

EN250

Makes sense, thought it'd be PS4+PS5+PC day one in order to get enough players and try to maintain its playerbase if it's a GAAS game, $70 for a MP only game in one system wouldn't last long imo

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If it's GaaS, then it has to support potato PCs anyway. Might as well support the PS4.
I think this is a far more likely reason for it being on PS4 than them actually thinking they’re going to have tens of millions of active players still on their last gen console by the time it’s 2024 release comes.

Top Bottom