• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren : Hardly anyone has Scarlett dev kits because Microsoft are planning to surprise Sony

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It's possible the only studios that have kits are 1st party.

That might explain it a little. The only other thing I can think of is that Sony's kits really are far along because there really were ready to go this year.
Yeah, first party probably have them. Halo Infinite is even a launch title.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
bqdmqtw.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have no doubts about that. Probably One of the reasons why Warren might be right. MS wants to avoid the same kind of butthurt they experienced in 2013.
Final specs may be changed, but I do not think their Scarlett XDK is much farther behind PS5’s SDK one... if it were it would not be good news if the power specs between the two systems were similar enough and one console had near final dev kits a lot earlier than the other in terms of third and first party developers as you would have a lot more games ready for launch and in a better state on the one where a stable and refined dev kit was available much earlier on.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Final specs won't be well, finalized until probably May sometime. I'm just waiting for E3 2020 so I can see all the specs and launch lineups. I am expecting Xbox 4 to be slightly more powerful (my guess is 52%-48%) than PlayStation 5 but it will be minimal and at the end of the day, while power is important, first, the most powerful console has never won any generation and while PS4 would have ended that, X kept the streak going and second, it's all about the first party studios that you have and how much of the console they can manipulate and get as much out of as possible. For me, I have way more confidence in Sony's first party studios even with less power than I do Microsoft's first party studios with more power.

wipeout364

It’s a good strategy, I don’t think Xbox has to be there day and date with PS5. Let Sony say what they are doing then wreck them. Xbox one X is a beast that can carry Xbox an extra few months and if they announce after Sony they can guarantee games run crappier on PlayStation.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will just say this:

I am beyond sick of Microsoft and their fanboys constantly screaming through the roof tops about this and that. I get that FUD and noise has always been one of MS strategies, but this is enough.

Just shut the fuck up and deliver a quality product. Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Bernkastel

I will just say this:

I am beyond sick of Microsoft and their fanboys constantly screaming through the roof tops about this and that. I get that FUD and noise has always been one of MS strategies, but this is enough.

Just shut the fuck up and deliver a quality product. Speak softly and carry a big stick.
They are really quite about everything. You cant be any more 'softer'.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Uhmm.. I'd say the dev kits aren't distributed yet mainly because there is no rush. Most developers already develop on PCs with the same exact graphics API and x86 architecture that Scarlet will be using. If they delay releasing the kits, that doesn't slow down production for next-gen games at all. Sony could have done the same thing but they have some custom hardware in their machine (ala special SSD drive). When it's all said and done though, 90% of the dev companies use DirectX, Vulkan, or OpenGL and conventional graphics engines developed in C++ and compiled for x86.

Don't fall for the hype.

stranno

Cell all over again?

I guess it will be another regular AMD APU but maybe they will pack some custom co-processors for Blast Processing.

Last edited:

Sacred

Sony is talking to gamers while MS aim too "surprise Sony". As a gamer, i don't care at all. These are just plastic boxes. My wallet will surprise the one talking to me.

Sony hasn't talked to gamers in years. They got over complacent and arrogant. They put commerical needs ahead of gamers the last two years. Meanwhile MS has done a fantastic job making up for their reveal with Mattrick by adding all kinds of consumer friendly features and services.

Bernkastel

At this point the biggest surprise will be Scarlet running on a modified version of Windows like Windows 10X for Surface Neo. Or may be upgradability(they are slowly going in direction with Surface products and there are some rumour about Surface Studio 3 being upgradable)?

Aceofspades

Banned
Sony hasn't talked to gamers in years. They got over complacent and arrogant. They put commerical needs ahead of gamers the last two years. Meanwhile MS has done a fantastic job making up for their reveal with Mattrick by adding all kinds of consumer friendly features and services.

Hasn't talked to gamers yet they produce a Goty over Goty every year. What do you want from these companies exactly ? Lol.

So is it to get the element of surprise or because the specs are not nearly fixed enough?

As they said, people develop for unknown hardware all the time, and it always turns alright just like Ubisoft with Reservoir dog, or many of Sony's PS3 "target renders"... potentially a million more that I don't know about.
At this point the biggest surprise will be Scarlet running on a modified version of Windows like Windows 10X for Surface Neo. Or may be upgradability(they are slowly going in direction with Surface products and there are some rumour about Surface Studio 3 being upgradable)?
"slowly going in that direction" when talking about PC laptops as if that was a new thing is kind of sad, most laptops will let you upgrade RAM and drive, or at the very least one of the two, MS kind of broke that expectation when they entered the market with their Surface products, they are really made for clueless people.
I'm not sure what you mean, we could also say that MS PR (Phil and al.) are using twitter like an overly melodramatic teen girl, overselling their games and products every time they can... their social media non sense approach has become a running gag, it doesn't look serious as they do not deliver, here are some recent blunders:
- All their MS studios games this generation have been bad to good, nothing that defined the generation, except for the extreme level of marketing that was generated for middle of the road games.
- That new pro controller that keeps falling a part (apparently the old one did too)
- The Battle Toad reveal
- The new Ninja Theory game reveal
- Them stating that they will release some new exclusive game every few months in 2021 is a hint that their approach to game development is very likely to keep going in the same direction, cookie cutter middle of the road games all released on a tight schedule.

So, assuming things don't change, we will get a couple more grand E3 reveals, a huge hype cycle around a couple of key titles, then some serious let downs.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
It’s a good strategy, I don’t think Xbox has to be there day and date with PS5. Let Sony say what they are doing then wreck them. Xbox one X is a beast that can carry Xbox an extra few months and if they announce after Sony they can guarantee games run crappier on PlayStation.
Not gonna happen.
Next year PS4 will see the releases of both TLOU 2 and FFVII Remake and Ghost of Tsushima might even be a PS5 launch-title.
MS can't afford giving Sony a head start.

Besides, this sounds like a secret sauce hype leak.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

"slowly going in that direction" when talking about PC laptops as if that was a new thing is kind of sad, most laptops will let you upgrade RAM and drive, or at the very least one of the two, MS kind of broke that expectation when they entered the market with their Surface products, they are really made for clueless people.
You dont see them in anything in the same form factor as the Surface devices. For example, do Dell xps or Macbook let you change your SSD ? Its just not that easy.

The biggest surprise to Sony would be Microsoft eating more of the cost of the console and undercutting them by $100.
Trying to beat Sony in a Digital Foundry war isn’t gonna get Microsoft anywhere.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Still annoyed about the 8GB GDDR5 PS4 surprise, eh.

Wondering what this means about launch timeframes. It's easy to be more powerful if you just launch later, but that's not competing directly so much as giving up time for power (a la X).

If you launch at the same time and for the same cost, without major BoM screwups like bundling Kinect, it's going to be hard to substantially differentiate on specs.

Portugeezer

Seems like total BS, there is only so much they could surprise Sony assuming they aim for around a ~$500 price point, unless they plan in selling at a huge loss (which is doubtful). If they sell a $800 box for $500, then yes, a big surprise.

Next year we'll start to know more, it will be interesting.

Sony is talking to gamers while MS aim too "surprise Sony". As a gamer, i don't care at all. These are just plastic boxes. My wallet will surprise the one talking to me.
Devkit talk isn't really a consumer thing; from a corporate level they are right to focus on their competition, which is Sony.

Windows 10 in da box. 🥶😱

Seems like total BS, there is only so much they could surprise Sony assuming they aim for around a ~$500 price point, unless they plan in selling at a huge loss (which is doubtful). If they sell a $800 box for $500, then yes, a big surprise.

Next year we'll start to know more, it will be interesting.

Devkit talk isn't really a consumer thing; from a corporate level they are right to focus on their competition, which is Sony.

Nooooo it's Google... you know, right? 🤭🤣

They felt trying to be Sony. They should do there own thing, like Nintendo.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Sony let their games do the talking.

Microsoft lets Phil do their talking.

Oddly, both camps seem happy. PlayStation fans just want more games. Xbox fans just want more Phil Spencer interviews. Everyone wins.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Came across this video, discussing a conflicting response from Jason Schreier about Tom Warrens tweet:

I dont know what you want me to expect from a console war channel from PlayStation side.

This sounds stupid and wrong.

"Not all hardware specs matter" This guy is dumb as hell. I'm guessing he's a "tech" journalist who's tech knowledge extends to what bluetooth version the latest airpods use.
I like how you throw the journalist card calling someone dumb and then act like you are very knowledgeable about game development. The third tweet was actually an executive from Blizzard, who was agreeing with him.

Top Bottom