• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren : Hardly anyone has Scarlett dev kits because Microsoft are planning to surprise Sony

Shrap

I like how you throw the journalist card calling someone dumb and then act like you are very knowledgeable about game development. The third tweet was actually an executive from Blizzard, who was agreeing with him.
I didn't act like anything. I called him out for that stupid "not all hardware specs matter" statement. They have none of the specs if they don't have a dev kit and Microsoft aren't disclosing them.

Either way it's stupid and bullshit. Developers absolutely do have dev kits or the target specs to work with.

abcdrstuv

Banned
The only big surprise I can imagine would be overshooting Sony on specs, charging 450-500(-600?) for the new console, and slashing the price of the Xbox One X to 250-300..

Paulxo87

It doesn't matter what they do. It will never work out for them. Going toe to toe with sony and trying to best what sony does? they will lose every time. They just want to stay relevant and make xbox a games ecosystem for themselves at this point. Nintendo has it's own separate piece of the market doing what they do. Sony has theirs and now MS wants to delve in its own niche.

CervantesPR1

Neo Member
Microsoft might be either A behind schedule or just waiting to 1-UP sony with the better running multiplats. I highly doubt a little better running multiplats will make xbox 4 the people's choice. Lets not forget just how bad Xbox reputation has been since the second half of 7th gen consoles all the way till now. People do not have faith in the brand anymore. Sony has huge momentum that will not stop unless they truly mess up bad. I boaught Playstation 4 at launch on the promise of great games that playstation has always delivered on. And that promise was delivered again like in the past console gens. Look at the HUGE franchises sony has built this gen. They rekindled GOD OF WAR, They made Spiderman a HUGE game, Horizon zero dawn, Uncharted/TLOU these games are HUGE with HUGE fanbases built, fanbases that are going to return. TLOU has sold like 20 million copies and is the most talked about video game. xbox's studios have been outputting cartoony dilapidated sub par games that have not been getting reviewed well or selling well. Even their flagship franchises has been behind on the quality and sales. Halo is not as big as it use to be. Nobody seems to even be that exited about gears of war. What could xbox possibly do to threaten sony at this point? only thing that I can think of is those new studios they bought could be making great games but that has yet to be seen.

ZywyPL

Banned
Devkits are less important with every generation..

Games are ALWAYS made on PCs, the dev kits are used for testing/tweaking the final code. And yeah, in times where literally a single person can tweak the settings for a particular platform within a say or two (like they do for Pro/X), the dev kits are almost obsolete those days.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I didn't act like anything. I called him out for that stupid "not all hardware specs matter" statement. They have none of the specs if they don't have a dev kit and Microsoft aren't disclosing them.
He said 'hardly'. First Party Studios and close Microsoft partners probably have them.
Maybe address Jason Schreier's comment?

Besides, iirc that guy was a massive Xbot.
I am not saying being his Xbox equivalent is any better. Also, we are know calling Tom Warren a 'stupid journalist' but instead taking Jason Schreier's word as gospel ?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

man, i switched over to xbox at some point (probably for halo) and haven't gone back to PS, but it's not because i prefer one over the other. i just already had a bunch of games i bought on xbox 360 so i upgraded to xbox one and i'll probably do that same for the next box. in fact, i'd really love to have both systems, but i never gave enough of a shit to argue about which is better and all that. they both have some fun games where i get to blow things up and talk shit to random strangers and... well hey, what can i say i'm easy to entertain 🤷‍♂️

howeverrrrrrr

i have about zero fuckin faith in Microsoft to make any real great or game changing (no pun intended) decisions. their UI on the xbox one alone reeks of enough ignorance for me to laugh in their face when they pull the old "we got a trick up our sleeves" line... sooooo...

*ahem*

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

HAH!

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Sony let their games do the talking.

Microsoft let Phil do their talking.

Oddly, both camps seem happy. PlayStation fans just wan more games. Xbox fans just want more Phil Spencer interviews. Everyone wins.

Xbox fans want more [INSERT WHATEVER FIRST COMES TO YOUR MIND]

Reactions: Isa

SleepDoctor

Banned
Idk who tf Tom Warren is and im just as skeptical as any realistic gamer. I hope its the case, don't need another one sided gen again.

But if history repeats itself... Ps2 > XBOX , Xbox 360 > Ps3, Ps4 > Xone..... then Xbox Next > Ps5 is very possible. But we'll have to wait and see.

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Word
Sony hasn't talked to gamers in years. They got over complacent and arrogant. They put commerical needs ahead of gamers the last two years. Meanwhile MS has done a fantastic job making up for their reveal with Mattrick by adding all kinds of consumer friendly features and services.
Micro is gonna smoke some big fat gamer blunt

Also, Phil they just started shipping dev kits during X019.

His Statement during Eurogamer interview"we just ship" has a little wider meaning. It can mean devkits were shipped few days ago, maybe week or 2, not exactly during interview. LOL

Btw. :

Big 3rd party devs surely already have them for a while :

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Or saltier... The fact these devs are talking to Jason is the exact reason they have to keep it secret for now.
The 'better' comment was because I intially posted a youtube video and someone started complaining about the youtuber instead.

theHFIC

I don't see how either company could surprise each other on a hardware level. They are both using AMD designed APU's that have been finalized a bit ago. It's not like Sony or MS is going to go from the fairly standard x86/x64 architecture. The PS3/X360 era ended the competing architecture wars (maybe they'll go ARM someday). They aren't going to include something that would be radically unique mandatory hardware for either or else you have the same problems as Kinect and the Wii U in regards to developers making exclusives for it or porting to it.

They both have some kind of fast storage and an optical media drive and an internet connection. The only real surprises could come from the interface and OS offerings and whatever optional peripherals / controllers they have cooking up.

LordOfChaos

You dont see them in anything in the same form factor as the Surface devices. For example, do Dell xps or Macbook let you change your SSD ? Its just not that easy.

The Surface itself seems to be moving back to removable storage, even if they chose a rarer m.2 size

akrales_190930_3688_0152.jpg

Surface-Laptop-3-teardown-5.jpg

I expect if the SP8 follows the SPX and SL3 design, it'll also move back to removable storage.

CeeJay

Nobody had any real Scorpio hardware until well into the new year, that released and worked as intended.
Exactly. MS have already said that scarlet is essentially an extension of the existing Xbox one meaning that devs can just develop to existing consoles using existing tools and then turn up the effects closer to release. ALSO, devs will already be developing for the PS5 and will be able to get a good idea of the ballpark specs for next gen in general and aim for that. It also means MS can essentially finalise the specs later than Sony. Sounds like a good strategy to make sure they come out with the better specs.

Grinchy

Banned
I have a very hard time believing MS is doing anything creative that would require secrecy. It's not like we're talking about Nintendo putting out a console/handheld hybrid. The only "creative" thing MS has ever done with their hardware was trying to jump in on the motion controls bandwagon with that broken piece of shit Kinect.

They just aren't a creative company. They react to the market instead of creating the path themselves. Ipods exist? Here's a Zune. Iphones exist? Here's a Windows phone. The Wii just made a fortune from casual grandmas with motion controls? Control your game character with your WHOLE BODY! It doesn't fucking work at all outside of a dancing game that isn't really tracking you anyway, but we copied it so please buy it!

I just have major, major doubts that, as a company, they suddenly just turned creative and are putting out something so weird that no one can know about it a year away from launch. It seems way more likely that they are just scrambling like they have been since they bought their way into the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Dev kits are not important anymore. They all use laptop architectures.

Also what if there next box is a laptop.

that's a xbox.
has windows on it
has access to all PC games because of it.
Can be docked and connected to PC on the fly for xbox playstyle gaming.
With free 1 year gamepass full PC bc etc, netflix, disney plus.
Can be used for office work and school stuff
Has a turnable screen that can run android and make it a ipad.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Can't for next E3!
Phil Spencer on stage saying: Xbox2 is going to be released.... TOMORROW*! Surprise bitches! Booya!
Devkits were sent today, you are going to have to wait for games to be optimized for Xbox2, but until then you can play Xbox One versions of the games, because it is backwards compatible!

*In selected stores, US only.

Mass Shift

Or saltier... The fact these devs are talking to Jason is the exact reason they have to keep it secret for now.

Jason Schreier: "I talked with a few 3rd party developers..........."

And what does He do? He validates and proves Warren's position with the very response he gives.

Not what he intended I'm sure, but he just made the argument for Warren AND the justification for Microsoft. The 3rd parties WOULD leak everything. So yes, it now appears that third parties will remain in the dark until the official reveal.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I have a very hard time believing MS is doing anything creative that would require secrecy. It's not like we're talking about Nintendo putting out a console/handheld hybrid. The only "creative" thing MS has ever done with their hardware was trying to jump in on the motion controls bandwagon with that broken piece of shit Kinect.

They just aren't a creative company. They react to the market instead of creating the path themselves. Ipods exist? Here's a Zune. Iphones exist? Here's a Windows phone. The Wii just made a fortune from casual grandmas with motion controls? Control your game character with your WHOLE BODY! It doesn't fucking work at all outside of a dancing game that isn't really tracking you anyway, but we copied it so please buy it!

I just have major, major doubts that, as a company, they suddenly just turned creative and are putting out something so weird that no one can know about it a year away from launch. It seems way more likely that they are just scrambling like they have been since they bought their way into the gaming industry.
If you think Microsoft cant make create hardware, then you have never watched a Surface ad.

CeeJay

I dunno, the surface line pretty much created a new device genre that Apple (and others) then went and copied with iPad Pro and the Hololens is still really the only device of its kind. The Surface team has had other great decides such as the studio, hub, book, laptop and has been designing the Xbox consoles since the S, both consoles they have designed have been head and shoulders above the Sony offerings. Personally I think MS hardware has been pretty exciting and cutting edge for quite a few years now.

Grinchy

Banned
If you think Microsoft cant make create hardware, then you have never watched a Surface ad.
The surface looks pretty cool. If you read the rest of the post, you'll see how well that fits me saying they react to the market and copy and aren't the ones paving the path themselves.

It's not like MS kept a hardware launch secret from everyone including the people making its software because they wanted to be the first ones to reveal the tablet. Apple created the tablet. Like always, MS copied what was doing well and this one time, they copied well.

This is where everyone points out that tablets existed before the ipad and so everything I said is wrong and MS is the most creative hardware company to ever exist

Last edited:

Business

I will just say this:

I am beyond sick of Microsoft and their fanboys constantly screaming through the roof tops about this and that. I get that FUD and noise has always been one of MS strategies, but this is enough.

Just shut the fuck up and deliver a quality product. Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Excuse me Sir, do you have a moment to talk about The Initiative?

I’m sorry

Last edited:
Top Bottom