• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren : Hardly anyone has Scarlett dev kits because Microsoft are planning to surprise Sony

GymWolf

Translation : I want Microsoft to act like a comic villain and do all the mistakes I imagined in my head, so that I can feel a bit better about my life choices.
Or just an even better translation: i don't give a fuck about sony or microsoft and i just troll everything that sound stupid like this news...

Because don't lie to yourself, this is a stupid news...

Hiding specs of your console because you want to surprise the opponent is 5 years old childs talk, but you do you and defend your favorite multibillionaire brand from any attack on a fucking videogame forum :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
it took SSM, ND and GG years to get to where they are now. you could argue that Sucker Punch and Sony Bend still arent there yet. new studios like 343i need time to grow. Coalition did well with their sophomore entry, but its still not up there with the big boys yet. Outer Wilds is a snoozefest. i dont see these guys making something like Witcher 3 or Mass Effect.

if Halo infinite is a success, it wouldve taken 343i 10 years to make Halo a GOTY contender. I am not expecting big things from playground since this would be their first RPG. game development is an iterative process and you grow only from your failures. its very rare to hit it big on your first try. look at ninja theory, heavenly sword was great. enslaved not so much. dmc was fine. hellblade was meh. they havent really shown that they are able to keep up with the big boys.

the future for ms is definitely brighter than it was at the start of this gen. but i would exercise caution for at least the first half of this gen. maybe the entire gen. there is a reason an MS game hasnt won a goty in over a decade. they will get their first decent shot next year if halo infinite really does turn out to be a game changer but with tlou2 and cyberpunk i dont see it winning many awards, let alone most of them.
Horizon Zero Dawn was GG's first venture into something outside of what they had been created for(Killzone), I dont get the obession with Playground games messing up their RPG games. Obsidian,InXile and Ninja Theory are not new, they just didnt have budgets to realise their full potential. Coalition already delivered with Gears 5, I have full trust in whatever they make(their have been rumours that they are working on something outside of gears too). Initiative is as new as Kojipro, they were both created by industry veterans(even Coalition is mostly Epic Games AAA team).

Last edited:
Or just an even better translation: i don't give a fuck about sony or microsoft and i just troll everything that sound stupid like this news...

Hiding specs of your console because you want to surprise the opponent is 5 years old childs talk, but you do you and defend your favorite multibillionaire brand from any attack on a fucking videogame forum :ROFLMAO:

Lol that's all they basically do here. Defend till the end gotta give it to the console warriors on both sides. they sure do get triggered alot.

Bernkastel

How did you miss his quote about Moon Studios being first party? Apparently you don't know what first and seconard party is.
Am I supposed to take his words as gospel ?
First-party developer
In the video game industry, a first-party developer is part of a company which manufactures a video game console and develops exclusively for it. First-party developers may use the name of the company itself (such as Nintendo), have a specific division name (such as Sony's Polyphony Digital) or have been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer (such as Rare or Naughty Dog). Whether by purchasing an independent studio or by founding a new team, the acquisition of a first-party developer involves a huge financial investment on the part of the console manufacturer, which is wasted if the developer fails to produce a hit game in a timely manner.However, using first-party developers saves the cost of having to make royalty payments on a game's profits.

Second-party developer
Second-party developer is a colloquial term often used by gaming enthusiasts and media to describe game studios who take development contracts from platform holders and produce games exclusive to that platform. As a balance to not being able to release their game for other platforms, second-party developers are usually offered higher royalty rates than third-party developers. These studios may have exclusive publishing agreements (or other business relationships) with the platform holder, but maintain independence so upon completion or termination of their contracts are able to continue developing games. Examples are Insomniac Games (originally a 2nd party for Sony), Remedy Entertainment (originally a 2nd party for Microsoft) and Game Freak (a 2nd party for Nintendo).

Bernkastel

If you dont trust Tom Warren, then why are you talking his word for Microsoft's plan for Scarlet.

GymWolf

If you dont trust Tom Warren, then why are you talking his word for Microsoft's plan for Scarlet.
My friend i don't even know who the fuck this warren guy is...i'm just trolling the news like i do with all this stupid nextgen strategies...

Do you really think that sony is waiting microsoft next console specs to make their plan for next gen?

Just even discussing this shit is stupid...

Seems more like Sony has the confidence and the position to set the message, and have been doing so.

Timely Wired interview with Cerny just before E3 and MSFT Scarlett reveal and "monsters for breakfast" :rolleyes: turned into a wet fart.

MSFT doesn't have the trust from gamers that they will deliver quality games, so this FUD is all they have... and of course giving their mediocre games away for free, and selling consoles at loss to still remain relevant.

Bernkastel

Jesus Christ did you not click on the link itself to Moon Studios website? "In 2011, Moon Studios became a Microsoft First Party Developer and is now working on Ori and the Will of the Wisps. "

You can't be this ignorant can you?
I just stated what is a common sense(and I dont have the obligation to reply to anymore of your posts)
1st Party - Owned by the platform
2nd Party - Not owned but produces exclusively for the platform(like Gamefreak)
Microsoft officially does not list Moon Studios as first party

Bernkastel

more like Sony has the confidence and the position to set the message, and have been doing so.

Timely Wired interview with Cerny just before E3 and MSFT Scarlett reveal and "monsters for breakfast" :rolleyes: turned into a wet fart.

MSFT doesn't have the trust from gamers that they will deliver quality games, so this FUD is all they have... and of course giving their mediocre games away for free, and selling consoles at loss to still remain relevant.
I dont think MS cares about your trust. Most people who use Xbox trust them.

demigod

I just stated what is a common sense(and I dont have the obligation to reply to anymore of your posts)
1st Party - Owned by the platform
2nd Party - Not owned but produces exclusively for the platform(like Gamefreak)
Microsoft officially does not list Moon Studios as first party

And you're wrong, there is no 2nd party. It's first and third. READ THE WEBSITE. They clearly say they're MS First Party.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
During the Ps3 era Sony's marketshare was between 25% and 30%
That's exactly the marketshare Xbox One has right now.

By the end of the generation, the PS3 was at 32% marketshare? Do you believe that's what the Xbox One's marketshare will be once this generation ends? The Switch is still selling pretty good.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Sony let their games do the talking.

Microsoft lets Phil do their talking.

Oddly, both camps seem happy. PlayStation fans just want more games. Xbox fans just want more Phil Spencer interviews. Everyone wins.
Look I have no horse in this race but acting like Sony's games are top tier is hilarious. Sony makes good to great story based third person action games that all feel very samey despite each having their differences.

As an FPS and wRPG player I feel Sony completely ignored me this gen. If it wasn't for Bloodborne and Horizon I honestly wouldn't have liked a single Sony exclusive despite loving the console itself.

The Last of Us and uncharted 4 did nothing for me other than drag on for too long. The Last of Us, in particular, is the most overrated game I have played this gen (I realize it is a last gen game btw). The Last of Us 2 just looks like a more SJW version of the first that has some cool tech in it and rabid, cult like, fan base hyping it up.

At the very least MS is going to offer some variety in their catalog. Their issue is always going to be quality though, and I honestly don't have a lot of confidence in MS first party games. I do really appreciate MS putting all of their games on PC though, as it means I get to play them regardless as a Game Pass Member :D.

All of that said, I want PS5 and XB2 to be successful. I want great games to play, and I would love a reason to own both. Sony might give me that reason (Horizon 2, socom, a FPS series, a BR game, or a WRPG) and if so I will own a PS5. I will never own an Xbox, I have a PC for their games and welcome them with open arms.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I think the only surprise next gen hardware wise is that the PS5 and Scarlett will be far closer in specs compared to the PS4 and XB1 (and perhaps even less of a difference than what was between the Pro and X). Both Sony and MS are probably going to go with the same amount of Ryzen cores, and similar amount of shading units (and the other components of a GPU). Not enough to make a significant graphic difference. Only thing I see that could be surprising is one having more robust ray tracing hardware, but even that could be very similar. I really can't see something like the XB1 (gimped hardware due to poor choices in specs) happening next gen for either of them. I think any real surprises will be software (in regards to what their OS's can do). Maybe if one of them costs $100 more than the other (or plans to eat a large loss per sale) we would see something surprising hardware wise.

Does Microsoft have Santa Monica? Nope. Insomniac? Nope. Naughty Dog? Nope. etc etc
Did they hire employees from each one of those companies? Yup.

Look I have no horse in this race but acting like Sony's games are top tier is hilarious. Sony makes good to great story based third person action games that all feel very samey despite each having their differences.

As an FPS and wRPG player I feel Sony completely ignored me this gen. If it wasn't for Bloodborne and Horizon I honestly wouldn't have liked a single Sony exclusive despite loving the console itself.

The Last of Us and uncharted 4 did nothing for me other than drag on for too long. The Last of Us, in particular, is the most overrated game I have played this gen (I realize it is a last gen game btw). The Last of Us 2 just looks like a more SJW version of the first that has some cool tech in it and rabid, cult like, fan base hyping it up.

At the very least MS is going to offer some variety in their catalog. Their issue is always going to be quality though, and I honestly don't have a lot of confidence in MS first party games. I do really appreciate MS putting all of their games on PC though, as it means I get to play them regardless as a Game Pass Member :D.

All of that said, I want PS5 and XB2 to be successful. I want great games to play, and I would love a reason to own both. Sony might give me that reason (Horizon 2, socom, a FPS series, a BR game, or a WRPG) and if so I will own a PS5. I will never own an Xbox, I have a PC for their games and welcome them with open arms.

I've started God of War and I'll have to say, the game is pretty damn good but I'm not that far yet. As for your opinions on Uncharted and TLoU I agree. I played about 4 hours of Uncharted and couldn't take it anymore. TLoU I reluctantly finished, it too was mediocre. Spiderman and Horizon I loved, God of War is in a good place with me at the moment. I may try Killzone after I finish GoW.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I dont think MS cares about your trust. Most people who use Xbox trust them.

Bs lol it is why thy lost Market share with Xbox one and literally had ppl switch from 360 back to Playstation because ppl didn't and don't trust them especially after their message, rrod and first party game dilution and mediocrity. They care about trust and mindshare, no disrespect to you but only an idiot would think otherwise. It's why thy changed alot of their game plan this gen to mimics Sony succesful one.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Did they hire employees from each one of those companies? Yup.

I've started God of War and I'll have to say, the game is pretty damn good but I'm not that far yet. As for your opinions on Uncharted and TLoU I agree. I played about 4 hours of Uncharted and couldn't take it anymore. TLoU I reluctantly finished, it too was mediocre. Spiderman and Horizon I loved, God of War is in a good place with me at the moment. I may try Killzone after I finish GoW.

I didn't care for God of War but, to be honest, I have never really been into that series so it didn't have much of a chance. Not a Spiderman fan either, if that had been an XMen game though...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I would rather Xbox surprise us gamers and focus on a machine that just plays games instead of trying to do.....

Can't really do that when sony has all the best game studios. Like MS is picking up literal indie devs. Best case scenario is it ending up like a 7th gen situation where both consoles are mostly equal, but most companies like to repeat their mistakes. poor xbox

ZywyPL

Banned
OK guys, let's separate truth from rumors here:

Truth/actual facts - MS has started to send the dev kits just recently, Spencer himself said that during XO19 interview, literally just 2 weeks ago, and this is where the good 'ol Captain Obvious strikes again - barely anyone has them.

Speculations/rumors/personal takes/clickbait - MS want's to surprise Sony (whatever that means) - that's just Warren's take on the case, and nobody's else. Maybe he has an iside source, maybe he heard a rumor from someone else who claims has a source,, or maybe he totally made it up, no one knows, but that's not a confirmed fact (at least for now, who knows) that's for sure.

I personally think both consoles will be almost, if not literally identical, with just some minor clock differences here and there. The PS4 and XB1 are already almost identical - same APU size, 8GB unified RAM, same Jaguar CPU, same BD, the biggest and basically only real difference is the ESRAM in XB1 vs additional CUs in PS4, that's literally it, but MS already learnt the lesson with X1X. It's like arguing about Seat, Skoda and VW, they are all based on the exact same tech, they are literally identical beneath the skin, and MS and Sony can also customize AMD's given product only so much. It's like sausage with ketchup vs sausage with mustard - different taste for sure, but it's still the same sausage.

Some say MS is late with the development, but again, looking at X1X, and other MS products, if anything, I'd say they simply took their time to make it actually good - well engineered, well build, and quiet, MS is going for the premium quality with every hardware recently. While in contrast, when I read now how long ago Sony started to send their dev kits, I cannot fight the feeling they have yet again rushed their console, just like they did with PS4 Pro, where they just doubled the CUs and called it a 4K console, which is a one big fat lie if you look at it from time perspective. There is this new rumor about 14TF GPU, which honestly, even if they already couldn't harness a mere 4TF, the question is how ridiculously fast the fan will spin this time around? Well, quite possibly it will suck entire air from the room and people will suffocate when playing games. And I don't want to start the topic of DS4 build quality, I know plastic is cheap, but c'mon...

I'm pretty much confident in Phil and the team, they made a fantastic job in the past years, especially given they had to basically unearth XB1 from the grave after Don Mattrick's leadership, while Sony was basically lying on the couch playing with its dick almost whole generation, ignoring and sometimes even negating players needs/demands, and the build quality of their consoles is unarguably the worst of their entire product portfolio, and I do mean a night and day difference, they do absolutely brilliant, top notch everything, except the PS4. I'd love to see Sony bumping up the proce by 25-50$ to get the PS5 up to the quality standards of their TVs, smartphones, blu-ray players, soundbars etc., if anything, I'd expect Sony to came up with something like X1X , not MS.

They have already shown Halo Infinite, the launch title.

They shown a cut-scene, not an actual game. It's the same as the infamous UC4 reveal trailer. Which speaking of, I hope we will actually get those level of graphics and animation on next-gen consoles.

Last edited:

nikolino840

I have a play stations. I have an ex box. I also have a switching.

Next gen I will have many console, but most of all, I will also have a game, or several.

This is because I are not a stupid ass fanboy in love with a plastic box.

Peace. Cunts.
And lot of Money too :D

NickFire

This theory does not make much sense to me. I completely understand holding some cards close to the chest if they plan to 1up Sony on price and/or power come hell or high water. But the notion of a meaningfully more powerful Xbox for cheaper retail cost is not supported by MS's actions. They launched OG Xbox One for $100 more despite weaker specs. And while it may be fashionable to blame that on Kinnect, the fact is that MS chose their path and did not abandon it until forced. And even after dropping Kinnect, they still failed to walk the walk by releasing the X for $100 more than what Pro launched at.

This is not a dig at X's price. Its just a fact - MS could have released more power for the same cost, and chose not to presumably because of the losses it would cause. So until they walk the walk, I am taking any suggestion that they will be more powerful for less money or the same as used car salesman nonsense.

IMO, the best thing they can do right now is get as many devs good dev kits as possible. They need to think a bit longer term than an E3 press conference. The pre-orders are gonna sell themselves. They need to pay mind to the launch era reviews that talk about how well a game plays on X vs. P, and how great their exclusives are.

Last edited:
The back compat stuff on Xbox has kept me there, and will likely keep me there for the foreseeable future. Also, I just can't game with a dualshock anymore.

I hope the next Xbox is great, but I don't care if its at the expense of a Playstation.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Console culture is starting generations with dev kits which is very typical, both SONY and Microsoft have made specs contagious and Microsoft is frustrated its lost three straight generations.

2 TB of Gamer DDR13 Ram with extra Raytracing secret sauce and replacing the Bluray drive with an HDDVD drive to lower the 50,000 deaths a year blurays cause to our kids. Good job Microsoft. ;)

Ar¢tos

No but they have 343,The Coalition,Ninja Theory,Turn 10,Playground,the Initiative,Obsidian,Rare,DoubleFine etc...many of which have been gobbling up ex Naughty Dog/Sony Santa Monica devs
Hmmm.. And all these studios are going to produce games that rival Sony 1st party in quality and scope while releasing a game a year to comply with MS promise of a 1st party game every 3 months?

MS surprise is that they hired Jesus! And he is going to perform miracles for them all year round!

MacReady13

Why does Microsoft care anyway? Aren't they pushing the xcloud bullshit they have? Wouldn't that make hardware power redundant as they will allow you to play games via streaming with "unlimited" cloud power?

I wonder if either MS or Sony could surprise with their RAM configuration. Honestly, the amount of RAM and the bandwidth they push are the only genuine surprises either can have for the other, outside of the proprietary storage solutions.

I'm going to assume that they'll both aim for a 384-bit bus (or if needed for power constraints, 352-bit maximum). That Scarlett reveal video showed 14Gbps chips on a mix of 2GB and 1GB. Assuming the split's even, and they need 12 chips to saturate the bus, that would give them 18GB.

Samsung has some GDDR6 clocked at 2GHz, but I think those are the 16Gbps ones. So, assuming a 384-bit bus, here's some of the bandwidth maximums Sony and MS could reach depending on their configuration:

1: 12x chips, 14Gbps (1.75GBps) each, 1GHz clock, 32-bit = 672GB/s bandwidth, 18GB GDDR6 pool

2: 12x chips, 14Gbps (1.75GBps), 1.5GHz clock, 32-bit = 1.008 TB/s bandwidth, 18GB GDDR6 pool

3: 12x chips, 14Gbps (1.75GBps), 2GHz clock, 32-bit = 1.344 TB/s bandwidth, 18GB GDDR6 pool

4: 12x chips, 16Gbps (2GBps), 1GHz clock, 32-bit = 768 GB/s bandwidth, 18GB GDDR6 pool

5: 12x chips, 16Gbps (2GBps), 1.5GHz clock, 32-bit = 1.152 TB/s bandwidth, 18GB GDDR6 pool

6: 12x chips, 16Gbps (2GBps), 2GHz clock, 32-bit = 1.536 TB/s bandwidth, 18GB GDDR6 pool

For all of those, they could change up the total amount of RAM by either going all 2GB module (24GB total), and they can hit bandwidths between 672 GB/s (lowest end) and 1.536 TB/s (highest end) depending on where the clock the chips (and where the chips can actually be safely clocked at). I don't think they'll be overclocking any of the chips they end up getting. Also if Samsung's 1GB chips are only at 14Gbps, you'd have to cut half of the numbers for 14Gbps calculations at whatever speeds are there.

Again, I think a 384-bit bus is solid enough and the maximum either system's likely to utilize. I guess a 256-bit bus is possible, but that's just not going to look that hot when the X has a 352-bit bus and will be considered a previous-gen platform by the time these release. But after doing these numbers, it also puts into perspective why going HBM2 is unnecessary; they may save on some wattage and real estate but it won't be much, and it will be considerably more expensive than GDDR6. Plus, since graphics cards are prioritizing GDDR6 now and into the future, I think Sony and MS will want to keep things relatively similar for their consoles, given the cross-platform and cross-development between consoles and PCs these days.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Why does Microsoft care anyway? Aren't they pushing the xcloud bullshit they have? Wouldn't that make hardware power redundant as they will allow you to play games via streaming with "unlimited" cloud power?
They push on mobile not like Google's stadia
And Is not bullshit even PlayStation have the remote play,there Is a reason that Xbox can't have the remote play?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
This is fucking hilarious coming from you. The same fanboy that openly wish Scarlett is more powerful than PS5.

Wish? Find me one post please where I’ve said that.

What I HAVE said, however, is I strongly believe MS will have a power advantage this time, whether it’s slight or significant, I can’t say.

Also, this is like, the 60th post you’ve had to quote me on. It’s almost like you have a thing for me?

MacReady13

They push on mobile not like Google's stadia
And Is not bullshit even PlayStation have the remote play,there Is a reason that Xbox can't have the remote play?
Not talking remote play, i'm talking streaming as the "future" of gaming. Streaming to the point there will be no consoles, like Stadia, where it's all powered by the cloud. Streaming from a console to a mobile device is fine. Streaming ONLY is where I have an issue and it seems like Microsoft want that as the standard. So if they do, why worry about console power???

nikolino840

Not talking remote play, i'm talking streaming as the "future" of gaming. Streaming to the point there will be no consoles, like Stadia, where it's all powered by the cloud. Streaming from a console to a mobile device is fine. Streaming ONLY is where I have an issue and it seems like Microsoft want that as the standard. So if they do, why worry about console power???
Even Spencer have said that streaming can't replace the hardware...where you ever been this year?
With xcloud can you play like the remote play of Sony plus outside home with the Cloud ... Is this a bad idea ? Even Sony have made a streaming feature,playnow,i think is a good idea...and not a bad move...

And why do you think in this preview of xcloud you can play only on mobile and not on PC?

What do you think is the priority for Microsoft to use the xcloud? Mobile, PC,or TV?

Ar¢tos

Stadia kinda messed up the image of cloud power.

DonF

This is so idiotic, do you guys really believe that big ass corporations are this unprofessional ?

Scorpio was announced what?...like 2 years ago? And they still don't have dev kits, and no finalized hardware?! God damn that would be incompetent..

What are they waiting until the very last possible second just to have a better box than the other huge ass corporation?! Hell, both companies arent even videogame oriented. Its not like its nintendo where 95% of their business is games.

This is just stupid fanboyism and click bait shit from a video game journo.

Are they gonna surprise us with faulty hardware? Jokes on them. I got that thrice now. Got a broken xbox, broken 360 and broken xboner. To be fair the xbone only got a broken disc drive. So it evolved to an xbox sad.

Top Bottom