• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren to the anti Lockhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads

giphy.gif

Is still serves as an anchor.

Why not release Cyberpunk on Xbox 360? Developers have been building PC titles on multiple GPUs for decades.... right?

Oh that's right, because it would never run on the 360 and before long a game will come along that will never run on Lockheart and if a ton of Lockhearts are sold then that new game will get neutered fundamentally.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Is still serves as an anchor.

Why not release Cyberpunk on Xbox 360? Developers have been building PC titles on multiple GPUs for decades.... right?

Oh that's right, because it would never run on the 360 and before long a game will come along that will never run on Lockheart and if a ton of Lockhearts are sold then that new game will get neutered fundamentally.
That’s just silly. While I would rather no Lockhart, if it is the same architecture with a smaller GPU and some less RAM, it hardly compares to an X360.

Dr Bass

Who said PC games needing to be compatible with lower end GPUs as well as higher end GPUs doesn't hold back the overall visual design of a game?

Not saying I necessarily disagree with Tom, or the idea in general as I think requiring the games to be cross generational is far worse. But if all that existed on PC was the top end GPU does he think that wouldn't affect the visuals ... at all? I don't know the answer to that, and neither does Mr. Warren. Making the argument that something won't be held back because development would be similar to current processes ... is stupid. "This has to work across ALL the platform configurations" is the very definition of compromise.

I swear, tech "journalists" just never seem that bright. On any of the sites.

TheAssist

Developers have developed games for the lowest common denominator for decades now and then implemented new graphical features for higher end hardware which scaled incredibly bad and the ratio of graphical benefits to hardware power needed to run was and is terrible (switch from low to mid settings and then compare the raise in graphical fidelity/the drop in performance with the switch from very high to ultra) .

I dont want to say that this is going to be as bad as in PC gaming since the similarities between the two consoles are much bigger, but implying that it is basically no work/time/money is a bit stupid. Its not like flipping a switch. It often requires a lot of manual fixing and bug hunting which again costs time and money.
It might be totally worth it and I think if GPU performance is the only variable it might not hold back anything since the gpu scales much better then CPU, RAM and I/O.

Having or not having RT wouldnt hold back the gen in anyway. Its basically an on/off feature with no or little real impact on game design, level design, or gameplay.

Saying that the CPU is faster is also a bit dumb, because in a closed system like consoles its not about the brute forcing but about overall efficiency and the elimination of overhead wherever possible. Having 100 Mhz higher clock speeds is negligible compared to performance gained or lost in other places. Whether the PS5 or Series X is the more efficient and well designed console will be the most interesting thing next gen.

Who is Tom Warren?

Bryank75

Banned
I've seen Xbox's on sale for under 200 euro here in Ireland... which is insane in what they call 'the rip-off republic'.
Releasing a cheaper Xbox will not move the needle, it results on more dev time being put into a platform that sells the least software and has a subscription service that undermines new releases......

It all comes together to make it the most developer unfriendly platform and I believe developers already are voicing their annoyance.

That’s just silly. While I would rather no Lockhart, if it is the same architecture with a smaller GPU and some less RAM, it hardly compares to an X360.

My comment isn't about comparing Lockheart to the 360.

I'm just pointing out that you can't make ANY game run on ANY hardware. There comes a point where that no longer becomes possible.

Xbox1X is a current gen console and Lockheart will be weaker. Imagine if all PS4 games were forced to also be on the PS3 all gen long. You think that might have a negative imact on what developers could do with games for PS4? Ofcourse it would.

Native 4K requires so much power that a 4tflop (6tflop GCN equivalent) console will be able to handle the same level of graphics at 1080p without much of an issue.

I guess if MS wants to release a 1440p first party game on Series X they'll run into problems, but I expect they'll mostly be targeting native 4K just like on the One X so whatever...

Didn't Jason Schreier or someone say devs aren't exactly happy with having to also deal with Lockhart?

EDIT: here it is.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why would they use such limited GPU resources for Raytracing though?

It's almost certainly one of the game features they will turn off for the XSS version of a game.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I've seen Xbox's on sale for under 200 euro here in Ireland... which is insane in what they call 'the rip-off republic'.
Releasing a cheaper Xbox will not move the needle, it results on more dev time being put into a platform that sells the least software and has a subscription service that undermines new releases......

It all comes together to make it the most developer unfriendly platform and I believe developers already are voicing their annoyance.
Except devs have actually been praising gamepass...

Lone Wolf

My comment isn't about comparing Lockheart to the 360.

I'm just pointing out that you can't make ANY game run on ANY hardware. There comes a point where that no longer becomes possible.

Xbox1X is a current gen console and Lockheart will be weaker. Imagine if all PS4 games were forced to also be on the PS3 all gen long. You think that might have a negative imact on what developers could do with games for PS4? Ofcourse it would.
Lockhart is not weaker, it’s much stronger Than Xbox One X.

LarknThe4th

Is it realistic to expect 720P titles on Lockheart by generations end?

I think it is a fascinating piece of technology, could be very disruptive and good value for those who dont care about resolution

JLB

Banned
I mean sure but why is a journalist from a big site trying to start a console war in a tweet. That's terrible journalism and very unprofessional.

To point out the obvious is not console warring. Tom is not the problem here, but Twitter openly allowing the comment mobs.

CobraXT

Banned
I like the idea of the XBS if its a capable 1080p machine , but i am not sure if its can even do that with the same visual fidelity as the XSX

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I mean it’s just common sense at this point honestly. Graphics scale based on the levels of pixels it needs to render. This scaling is mostly linear. To be honest, I’m pretty sure Lockhart will be a more powerful 1080p console than Series X as a 4K console

Edit.

I can't read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom