Tomb Raider: Ascension (Video) - Giants, demons, flamethrower, horseback-riding

May 3, 2008
Nov 18, 2012
What a surprise, it looks like she originally was showing more cleavage.
This is truly what the game was missing. I don't care about sexism or idolizing or whatever in video games. Some characters are just meant to have that cleavage, Lara Croft is one of them.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
May 9, 2009
Daamn what a misleading thread title, i expected a new TR game.

Oh well, horse riding looked pretty cool. This game really went through some changes during development.

Aug 8, 2012
So instead they went with the whole cliche, vulnerable, tomb hating, first adventure ever, being sorry, you need to protect her, safe and Uncharted like game?

From the looks of it, this looks way better. Bad ass Lara ftw.

Aug 3, 2010
twitter.com
So instead they went with the whole cliche, vulnerable, tomb hating, first adventure ever, being sorry, you need to protect her, safe and Uncharted like game?

I"m sure the squeal will have Tomb loving, no fucks given, one line saying, mma looking, ball busting, shoot you in the dick, dual weiding, flame throwing, axe to the head, and arrow shooting badass Lara.

Jan 18, 2006
Some elements of that made it into the current game. But this version was a lot more like a modern RE game with shades of SOTC. It had a more advance environment combat system where Lara would naturally move around objects (that made it into the game in the form of the cover system). Enemies had limbs you can shoot at to get different reactions like in a RE game and the enemy variety was way higher because you fight a bunch of supernatural stuff and animals. Platforming was also more in depth.

Although I would not have liked carrying around a little girl across the island... glad they removed that shit.

Mar 4, 2008
Interesting to finally see some video. Some SOTC vibes there.

Still, CD made a hell of a game. Wonder if they might incorporate any of this stuff for the sequel. Bigger hubs might require use of a horse.

Jun 25, 2009
The game you imagine based on a few assets is always better than what you get.
Maybe so, and i'm not even suggesting that it would've been a masterpiece, yet there are plenty of great ideas in the video alone, that just needed polish (of course).
It's not like it's a description on paper, you can see the ideas like limb targeting and removal, the big island etc.
The focus on human foes is what killed my anticipation for TR, anyway. :\

Jun 14, 2004
Maybe so, and i'm not even suggesting that it would've been a masterpiece, yet there are plenty of great ideas in the video alone, that just needed polish (of course).
It's not like it's a description on paper, you can see the ideas like limb targeting and removal, the big island etc.
The focus on human foes is what killed my anticipation for TR, anyway. :
I actually appreciated how the supernatural played only a relatively small part in the new Tomb Raider; a more mysterious presence than an overt one.

Jun 7, 2010

Have you played the game? All the impressions from the OT say the whole "protect her" meme wasn't accurate whatsoever, that she becomes a killing machine and not "vulnerable" or anything. You've got an avatar of Lara so I'm assuming you did play it? But it doesn't sound like you did.

Jun 25, 2009
I actually appreciated how the supernatural played only a relatively small part in the new Tomb Raider; a more mysterious presence than an overt one.
That was the case in, for example, TR1 too, but instead of hundreds of armed goons, you fought a handful of wild animals, leaving supernatural stuff at the end of the journey.

Anyway, it's useless to cry on spilled milk.