• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Developer Q & A - Y U CHRGNG $60, CD?

tbm24

Extensive my ass. Nintendo had a good reason to make an HD port of WW, because it's 2013 and no one with a 1080p TV wants to play a 480p game on it.

The ONLY reason that port was even made was to fill a game slot that was currently empty and make money. Lets not pretend it was because folks wanted to play it but their eyes would bleed to see a 480p game on a 1080p tv. I'm going based off this interview. I'm not going to initially assume they are lying about all their improvements.

pretty much.

It's what happens when they try and resell you a plot-driven interactive cinematic blockbuster with little to no replay value just with a new polish. That's why nuthuggers of this genre will say the multiplayer is "teh best" and will target anyone who thinks otherwise because that's the only thing that they can justify $60 for.

nuthuggers of this genre? Multiplayer is the best?

I think you're the only person in this thread that understood those comments.

The ONLY reason that port was even made was to fill a game slot that was currently empty and make money. Lets not pretend it was because folks wanted to play it but their eyes would bleed to see a 480p game on a 1080p tv. I'm going based off this interview. I'm not going to initially assume they are lying about all their improvements.

No one said they're lying, I'm saying their lists of "upgrades" isn't even extensive. And what do you think the point of this port is?…to fill a slot and make money herp derp.

nuthuggers of this genre? Multiplayer is the best?

I think you're the only person in this thread that understood those comments.

Multiplayer will be the go-to argument to justify $60 for the games that will also get a "definitive" edition, because replaying "interactive" cinematics where you just hold up with explosions and shit happen around you won't cut it a second $60 around.

Multiplayer will be the go-to argument to justify $60 for the games that will also get a "definitive" edition, because replaying "interactive" cinematics where you just hold up with explosions and shit happen around you won't cut it a second $60 around.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say the multiplayer of this game is "the best". Most people think it sucks pretty bad.

The good news for all the people claiming they would have bought it for $30 or $40 or whatever arbitrary price they are throwing out is it's going to be that price in a month or two.

It's not as if you can only buy a game on the release date and any other date afterwards the game goes into the Disney vault or something.

delta25

Banned
No one said they're lying, I'm saying their lists of "upgrades" isn't even extensive. And what do you think the point of this port is?…to fill a slot and make money herp derp.

I dunno, judging from the interview there does seem to be a substantial amount of upgrades that look to be above and beyond the original version. From what I can tell the "definitive version" definitely doesn't look to be a simple copy and paste kind of port.

And lets be honest, most PC gamers even with modest upgrades to a games visuals no matter how insignificant they may be would still label it as the superior/definitive version.

Harlequin

Their upgrades aren't extensive? If what they're saying is true they pretty much reworked the entire environments to be more detailed on a polygon level (as well as adding new objects like more plants and so on). Add to that the better character models, better textures, better lighting and shaders, advanced and added physics effects (including cloth and TressFX physics) and the implementation of Kinect, DS4 and voice recognition features and I'd say the upgrades are pretty extensive. They upgraded the graphics in pretty much all the ways in which you could've upgraded them. Coming off a generation of HD ports where the only improvement was a higher rendering resolution and - perhaps - a better framrate, I'd say this list is pretty damn impressive and I'd be very surprised to see a lot of other developers or publishers put as much work into their future HD ports.

Is it disappointing that they didn't add additional content like a few extra tombs? Certainly. But that doesn't diminish the additions and upgrades that have been made.

m23

The good news for all the people claiming they would have bought it for $30 or $40 or whatever arbitrary price they are throwing out is it's going to be that price in a month or two.

It's not as if you can only buy a game on the release date and any other date afterwards the game goes into the Disney vault or something.

Well, the only reason I was going to buy it was it would help make the wait for Titanfall easier. By the time the game reaches $40 I'll be busy playing other games most likely.

The comparison image shown had shitty lighting. Here's a better comparison

FneT6J2.jpg

if there ever was an example of blatant suit mandated pandering

this'd be it

somewhat natural looking face demonstrating some level of emotional response, versus extremely 'gamey' looking babyface DoA supermodel staring blankly

what the fuck. There is no way that the original character designers went into this project intending for Lara to come out looking like this without some level of intervention from someone totally unrelated

edit: doesn't look, like, horrible or anything, but still.

IzzyF3

Really good questions and those answers sound pretty honest. I think an upgrade pricing should be used, but that doesn't look like it's happening. For $60 you sure are getting a lot of stuff though, like the digital art book, and when the game comes late January, it'll be the best game available on next-gen consoles, my opinion of course.

Phamit

So let me get this....

This game first didnt sell as much Square Enix wanted and was behind expectations. They put another year of development into it for a next gen port and try to sell it again for 60 $ ....

Oh Square Enix, if you want to go all mobile then just do it

Given how hard they worked to get it looking the way it did on the PS3 and XBox 360, I trust that their original vision for the game was quite ambitious, thus creating a truly "definitive" version this time around.

I can't imagine them gimping on it, feature-wise. I'm paying full price for it because I fully expect them to deliver the best version possible.

I thought it looked stunning when I played it on the PS3.

Tagg9

Their upgrades aren't extensive? If what they're saying is true they pretty much reworked the entire environments to be more detailed on a polygon level (as well as adding new objects like more plants and so on). Add to that the better character models, better textures, better lighting and shaders, advanced and added physics effects (including cloth and TressFX physics) and the implementation of Kinect, DS4 and voice recognition features and I'd say the upgrades are pretty extensive. They upgraded the graphics in pretty much all the ways in which you could've upgraded them. Coming off a generation of HD ports where the only improvement was a higher rendering resolution and - perhaps - a better framrate, I'd say this list is pretty damn impressive and I'd be very surprised to see a lot of other developers or publishers put as much work into their future HD ports.

Is it disappointing that they didn't add additional content like a few extra tombs? Certainly. But that doesn't diminish the additions and upgrades that have been made.

The fact that they had a group of people from three different developers (CD, Nixxes, UFG) should speak somewhat to the amount of work that went into it.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether they've actually reworked the environment geometry. They were kind of cagey on this question in the QA, so I suspect they just did some simple smoothing (adding more vertices, likely done automatically with one of the industry standard tools).

Yeah, it's $60 because they can get away with it. The next-gen content draught might end up pushing the whole Tomb Raider reboot into the black. It's mediocre enough for people to have skipped it at launch, but good enough for people to pick up out of desperation.

Zeth

I could have sworn I payed less than $40 for the PC version day one/preorder. Good news is it will probably be $40 or less within a month. This really punishes only the biggest fans and poor next gen owners looking for anything to play ASAP.

delta25

Banned
New Lara face looks ridiculous.

Of course it does, its not the PC version. But I agree to an extent, there's just something off about it that I cant explain, its not horrible, but its something that I don't personally think needed to be changed in the first place.

edit:
In this picture she looks like she has a lazy eye.
3xusmRR.jpg

Hawk269

I could have sworn I payed less than $40 for the PC version day one/preorder. Good news is it will probably be $40 or less within a month. This really punishes only the biggest fans and poor next gen owners looking for anything to play ASAP.

You probably did because I got it for around 45 or so when it came out. PC version is incredible looking and if you have the rig to max it out at 1080p/60fps solid it is pretty damn good looking. I really wonder how the PS4/Xbox One version will run if it is 1080p/30fps and they added more vegetation, better textures, higher polygon environment etc? Not going to hold my breath expecting it will be stable 1080p/30fps on eathier console.

Harlequin

The fact that they had a group of people from three different developers (CD, Nixxes, UFG) should speak somewhat to the amount of work that went into it.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether they've actually reworked the environment geometry. They were kind of cagey on this question in the QA, so I suspect they just did some simple smoothing (adding more vertices, likely done automatically with one of the industry standard tools).

I think a lot of their environments are actually made up of pre-modelled parts (you can see it best on the shacks in Shanty Town) so actually reworking the geometry for those parts probably wouldn't have been that difficult. But yeah, I'm not sure, either.

BigDug13

But a $40 release would be $20-$30 in a month or two. The entire price path of this release is tainted.

BigDug13

I got 10 tomb raider games for $14 a few weeks ago. That means I got this game on PC for $1.40. There's no way there's enough graphical bells and whistles over a 1080p/60fps version to justify it costing $58.60 more.

Carbonox

What a pony trophy list. I don't mind multiplayer trophies if they're all about trying modes/perks/level up to such and such, etc. like in AC4 (the only tedious trophy is getting to level 55 but the rest of the multiplayer trophies - there are like 5/6 in total - are about trying modes, very simple shit.

I fucking hate ones where you gotta win this, gotta kill someone doing this specific action which may or may not ever happen, etc. The really shit kind of multiplayer achievements that shouldn't be in games.

Whatever, I'm looking forward to this though. Will probably still trophy-hunt my way through the single player though. That's good enough.

rvy

Banned
lol, pls. I paid 20 bucks for this POS and felt ripped off, let alone paying 60 bucks for an upscale with TRESSFX (TM). I hope this crap bombs hard.

Harlequin

I got 10 tomb raider games for $14 a few weeks ago. That means I got this game on PC for $1.40. There's no way there's enough graphical bells and whistles over a 1080p/60fps version to justify it costing $58.60 more.

Here you go:

A team made up of people from three different developers (Crystal, Nixxes and United Front) worked on it for over a year (started in November 2012). So I think, just talking about production cost and effort, that a 60$ price point is justified. Now whether it was a smart decision to put so much effort and money into a NG rerelease one year after the original release, that's another question. But if what they're saying is true, the price certainly seems justified.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
lol, pls. I paid 20 bucks for this POS an felt ripped off, let alone paying 60 bucks for an upscale with TRESSFX (TM). I hope this crap bombs hard.

I got it for $5 recently and feel like they should be paying me to sit through these awful scripted sequences and the horrific origin story about Lara and her shitty friends.

I quite like the game otherwise...

Hawk269

Here you go:

A team made up of people from three different developers (Crystal, Nixxes and United Front) worked on it for over a year (started in November 2012). So I think, just talking about production cost and effort, that a 60$ price point is justified. Now whether it was a smart decision to put so much effort and money into a NG rerelease one year after the original release, that's another question. But if what they're saying is true, the price certainly seems justified.

I don't agree with you at all. You are saying a group of people spent 1 year making this and it should be $60.00. I disagree. There are teams of 150+ spending 2-3 years making a game and they charge $60.00 for a WHOLE new game, not a port. Even though they have 3 groups working on it, I doubt that there a 100+ persons working on this.

Remakes should not be costing the same as a brand new game. No matter how much they are adding to it, $60.00 is just way too much and they are only doing it to take advantage of lack of software on next gen consoles.

SJRB

Gold Member
Here you go:

This logic is hard to follow. As a consumer I don't give a fuck about how many resources a dev spent on upping the resolution/poly count/graphics in general.

They could've worked on this with 5000 people for all I care, all I see is a game that is essentially identical to the game released less than a year ago being sold with a 60 euro price tag and nothing to justify it. "It looks better" is not a good reason.

Harlequin

I don't agree with you at all. You are saying a group of people spent 1 year making this and it should be $60.00. I disagree. There are teams of 150+ spending 2-3 years making a game and they charge $60.00 for a WHOLE new game, not a port. Even though they have 3 groups working on it, I doubt that there a 100+ persons working on this.

Remakes should not be costing the same as a brand new game. No matter how much they are adding to it, $60.00 is just way too much and they are only doing it to take advantage of lack of software on next gen consoles.

Well, you have to add the price they would still charge you for the original release now to the cost of the upgrades and additions. And don't try to compare this to PC prices because PC games obviously cost less than console games due to the licensing costs. The German Amazon currently lists the console versions for TR for between 20-36€ (there's a difference in price between UK imports and the actual German retail version, the latter being more expensive for some reason). So that means the additional cost of the DE upgrades would be at 24-40€. Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.

This logic is hard to follow. As a consumer I don't give a fuck about how many resources a dev spent on upping the resolution/poly count/graphics in general.

They could've worked on this with 5000 people for all I care, all I see is a game that is essentially identical to the game released less than a year ago being sold with a 60 euro price tag and nothing to justify it. "It looks better" is not a good reason.

*sigh* Read the post. I said that whether it was a smart decision to put that much money into it is another question.

antitrop

I got it for $5 recently and feel like they should be paying me to sit through these awful scripted sequences and the horrific origin story about Lara and her shitty friends.

I quite like the game otherwise...

What, you mean you weren't so emotionally invested in the characters that you didn't burst out in tears when that guy I can't remember the name of
bravely sacrificed himself so Lara could get the tool she needed to fix the boat, I think it was like a wrench or a screwdriver or something? I mean she even kissed him right before he died! So emotional.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
What, you mean you weren't so emotionally invested in the characters that you cried when that guy I can't remember the name of
bravely sacrificed himself so Lara could get the tool she needed to fix the boat? I mean she even kissed him right before he died! So emotional.

I literally just got past that part and it made me physically ill.

Top Bottom