• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

tomb-raider-definitive-edition.png%3Fw%3D450%26h%3D464
Tomb-Raider-Definitive-Edition-Packaging.jpg

Developer: Crystal Dynamics
Porting: Nixxes (PS4) United Front Games (Xbox One)
Publisher: Square Enix
Platforms: PS4, Xbox One
Launch Trailer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per Eat Children
Additions:
What the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 build have versus PC:
- New Lara model, most details in the face.
- TressFX optimisation assumed.
- Additional details/density to certain scenes (eg: foliage).
- Tweaked lighting engine.
- Subsurface light scattering shader on Lara's skin.
- Hand animated physics for certain objects/props replaced with a physics engine (eg: Lara's equipment moves to her movement via physics, not animation).
- Some reworked textures.
- Handful of other changes.

What we don't know:
- Extent of "Ultra" PC setting implementation (eg: tessellation, SSAO, etc).
- Rendering complexity of similar effects (eg: how many samples are used for SSAO and TressFX).
- Texture differences, if they exist.
Dev Diary demonstration of new additions
PC Left
Xbox One Right

Platform differences:
Xbox One 30-45 FPS
PS4 45-60 FPS

DLC: Includes costume, multiplayer, and tomb dlc from the PC/PS3/360 versions of the game

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reviews: Review Thread
Game Informer 9.25
IGN 9.1
US Gamer 9.0 (4.5 stars)
Polygon
Gamespot 8.0
Official Playstation Magazine 7.0 UK
Escapist 6.0 (3 stars)

uUIld5l.jpg

The technical thread was closed due to the various infighting so I figured until someone makes an OT it might be nice to have a thread to just talk about general impressions of the new ports/remastering and the differences contained within them without too much silliness. Street date was moved up and gamestop seems to be opening it up for purchase in-store so grab your copy tomorrow if that suits you! Some people grabbed copies yesterday before gamestop closed so how are the first impressions?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
31st Jan in EU right? 60fps HYPE!

hawk2025

I have this pre-ordered from Amazon (the artbook version has sold out on the PS4 -- huh?), but might try Gamestop tomorrow.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Can I download this today? I'm done with discs.

I checked PStore on the PS4... nowhere to be seen. Doesn't even come up on search. Which is weird, because earlier today there was an add for the definitive edition pre-order while I was on my PS3.

dreamfall

I'm excited to see GAF impressions and the Digital Foundry breakdown.

I'll pick it up some time later, but I played it on the PC- some of the additions (60FPS) are rad, let's see how it turns out!

Picked it up at GameStop tonight. Only got about an hour in. PS4 version.

Game looks really good at 1080p. Framerate is only going to bother those who are highly framerate sensitive. It is variable, but I only really noticed it when I was trying to, ie, spinning the camera, etc. It's 60 most of the time, and my guess is it dips into the high 40s and 50s here and there.

Still haven't seen any intense action, so I can't give a true assessment, but for those wondering, those are my observations from the first hour.

Bgamer90

Banned
Picked it up at GameStop tonight. Only got about an hour in.

Game looks really good at 1080p. Framerate is only going to bother those who are highly framerate sensitive. It is variable, but I only really noticed it even I was trying to, ie, spinning the camera, etc. It's 60 most of the time, and my guess is it dips into the high 40s and 50s here and there.

Still haven't seen any intense action, so I can't give a true assessment, but for those wondering, those are my observations from the first hour.

Cool. Did you play the game on last gen or is this your first time?

Picked it up at GameStop tonight. Only got about an hour in.

Game looks really good at 1080p. Framerate is only going to bother those who are highly framerate sensitive. It is variable, but I only really noticed it even I was trying to, ie, spinning the camera, etc. It's 60 most of the time, and my guess is it dips into the high 40s and 50s here and there.

BruiserBear, would you recommend this game for someone who hasn't played it yet?

Haines

Banned
So its out already with no reviews?

I really want to know how much better it is than ps3 version. I dont know whether to pick it up cheap on ps3 now or wait til i have a ps4 when its cheaper than

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So wait, are there supposed to be any changes beyond the visuals?

Yes. They've added some more props/assets to certain scenes to increase density, and overhauled the hand animations on certain objects to now move via a real time physics engine. So for example in the original build Lara's equipment would bob and sway as she'd move, but it was hand animated. Now a lot of this is based on a physics engine.

NateDrake

I really want to know how much better it is than ps3 version. I dont know whether to pick it up cheap on ps3 now or wait til i have a ps4 when its cheaper than

Review copies were only distributed a couple of days ago. The release date was pushed up at GameStop. No word if review coverage will come sooner as a result.

I'd like to play this on my PS4, but that price.... I'll just wait til it goes on sale again on steam.

Who am I kidding. I'll probably pick it up on PS4 in a month or two when the price inevitably drops there.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes. They've added some more props/assets to certain scenes to increase density, and overhauled the hand animations on certain objects to now move via a real time physics engine. So for example in the original build Lara's equipment would bob and sway as she'd move, but it was hand animated. Now a lot of this is based on a physics engine.

Interesting. Wonder how it all turned out, then. Never got around to playing the game the first time around, so I'm kinda torn between this and the PC version.

It's a much better looking version of the PS3 game. Read reviews of that version and ask yourself if you want to play it looking much better.

Post pictures of the artbook/packaging dammit!!!

It was rather simple. Just a cardboard box that had the art book built into it. Disc on the other side. It was nice, but nothing real impressive.

fernoca

Didn't really see any good pictures, although I should probably update the image in the OP to at least imply you get one.
From Reality Pales

Kind of looks like the Hitman Trilogy release?

It was rather simple. Just a cardboard box that had the art book built into it. Disc on the other side. It was nice, but nothing real impressive.
Oh! So the game doesn't' come on its own case and the booklet is separate; but rather is like the book holds the game too? That's..nicer than I expected.

MilkBeard

Hmm. To pick up now, or wait. That is the question.

I wouldn't mind playing something during the wait for Dark Souls II.

I dont know! lol. Prob just the ps3 version i guess. it would be so much cheaper...

Don't do it! Wait until it's cheaper if you must, if you've waited this long to play it and have a PS4 there's no reason to suddenly jump on the inferior version.

I wonder if there's a secret 60fps mode in the Xbox One version. Maybe by setting your console to 720p or something, lol

60fps tends to be more important than 1080p to me

Top Bottom