• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition |OT| Lara shot first

JLeack

Banned
I streamed 5 hours of gameplay on Twitch today. The interest is really high from viewers.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I hope SE changes the embargo date so I can publish a review sooner.

IconGrist

Does the artbook packaging come with the standard PS4 case? It's a stupid thing but I don't want some big thing that looks out of place on my games shelving. I traded in Gamestop's steelbook of Beyond: Two Souls just to get a regular case copy, lol.

hawk2025

Does the artbook packaging come with the standard PS4 case? It's a stupid thing but I don't want some big thing that looks out of place on my games shelving. I traded in Gamestop's steelbook of Beyond: Two Souls just to get a regular case copy, lol.

No, but I'm assuming there are already regular versions out there. The artbook version is sold out at Amazon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The new face actually seemed to look really good in that dev diary they released a couple days ago... but it looks terrible in still images?

It's so odd. The new face looks great in motion but awful in stills while the old face looks great in stills but bad in motion.

todd360

I would have been so excited to pick this up for ps4 if I hadn't already beat the pc version. Oh well the wait for march continues.

Fredrik

How was this game anyway? I was never a fan of the originals but I do like Uncharted.
One of my favorite games on 360 for the whole generation. If you like Uncharted you're going to love TR, it's very very similar, same type of climbing sections and third person shooter set pieces with enemies rushing in and you take them out one after another either by going slow hiding behind stuff or rushing in with melee attacks. The big difference in gameplay is that you have skill upgrades in TR. It's one of the best reboots ever imo. Loved it.

RyudBoy

I streamed 5 hours of gameplay on Twitch today. The interest is really high from viewers.

Based on the amount of replies so far, interest seems kinda low. I wonder why the other thread that got closed had so many views in the short amount of time. :)

In all seriousness, my interest level is definitely high. I want the "definitive" version but no PS4 yet. :(

artist

Banned
Crystal Dynamic going by the dev diary video.
After some digging I think Nixxes is developing the PS4 version. From the Nixxes presentation at AMD's Dev Summit in Nov 2013;

unx0joj.png

http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentra...ief-with-new-amd-technology-by-jurjen-katsman

After some digging I think Nixxes is developing the PS4 version. From the Nixxes presentation at AMD's Dev Summit in Nov 2013;

unx0joj.png

http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentra...ief-with-new-amd-technology-by-jurjen-katsman

Seems likely I suppose, bit of a shame that Crystal Dynamic's videos imply they're working on all the engine improvements and such and not giving Nixxes any credit if that's the case. They do good work. Does leave out the Xbox One version though, although perhaps that could explain some of the performance discrepancies.

Edit: Actually, did Crystal Dynamics say somewhere they'd been working on the Definite Edition for the past year and planned to use the improvements for the next game or something of that nature?

Fredrik

Hmm, if there are defferent developers doing the X1 and PS4 versions I guess it might not be as easy as to blame the hardware for the performance differences talked about in the other thread.

Jack cw

They look pretty similar to the Kingdom Hearts/ FFX PS3 editions. A few mm bigger than the regualr case. If you want uniformity, you better go with the barebone case.
Why can't it be on PSN yet? I don't want to buy it on disc. D:

This is the digital future. No broken "street" dates.

artist

Banned
Seems likely I suppose, bit of a shame that Crystal Dynamic's videos imply they're working on all the engine improvements and such and not giving Nixxes any credit if that's the case. They do good work. Does leave out the Xbox One version though, although perhaps that could explain some of the performance discrepancies.

Edit: Actually, did Crystal Dynamics say somewhere they'd been working on the Definite Edition for the past year and planned to use the improvements for the next game or something of that nature?
Confirmed;

Nixxes Software is proud to announce that it has been working on the Playstation 4 version for the recent announced Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition!

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition is a revamped and upscaled version of Tomb Raider, which was released in March 2013. In collaboration with Crystal Dynamics, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition will be released for Sony Playstation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One on January 28, 2014. In addition to converting the game to Playstation 4, Nixxes Software provided support to United Front Games, the developer responsible for the Xbox ONE version of the game.

Now in native 1080P with TressFX hair rendering, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition contains the following content:

The game is fully rebuilt for next-generation consoles. It contains the Tomb of the Lost Adventurer, eight DLC multiplayer maps, six DLC multiplayer weapons, four DLC multiplayer characters and six outfits for Lara. The game will also included Dark Horse digital comic book "Tomb Raider: The Beginning", Brady Games digital art book "Tomb Raider: The Art of Survival" and "The Final Hours of Tomb Raider documentary series.

As for other next-gen additions, The PlayStation 4's Dualshock 4 controller lights up red and orange when using the torch, and quick flashes when Lara is shooting. The PlayStation 4 version also allows you to stream Tomb Raider to the PlayStation Vita.

The Xbox One allows you to use Kinect to change weapons, attachments, and navigate the menu with your voice. You can also rotate and inspect relics with hand gestures, and find new viewpoints by leaning into the world.

http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/newsdetail/20-uk/news/167-trhd-announced

So Nixxes is responsible for PC & PS4 (definitive) versions. And they helped out UFG for the Xbone (definitive) version.

Jack cw

So Nixxes is responsible for PC & PS4 (definitive) versions. And they helped out UFG for the Xbone (definitive) version.

Thx for this. I already assumed that the xbone port was done by an external team as SE only showed nixxes edition of the game. I wonder if the xbone version has the same detail as the PS4 edition... Great news for all af us though. Development seems to be done on the best hardware.

IconGrist

They look pretty similar to the Kingdom Hearts/ FFX PS3 editions. A few mm bigger than the regualr case. If you want uniformity, you better go with the barebone case.

I hope they have some in stock when I go tomorrow to pick it up. I don't really care for the artbook. I'd rather just get a regular copy.

Jack cw

I hope they have some in stock when I go tomorrow to pick it up. I don't really care for the artbook. I'd rather just get a regular copy.

I think they will. The artbook edition is limited, but the reason I bought it was, that it was cheaper than the regular edition.

Just realized GameStop called me to pick it up tomorrow. Will be nice for the weekend. Anyone who got it mind saying how large the install size is on the PS4?

IconGrist

I think they will. The artbook edition is limited, but the reason I bought it was, that it was cheaper than the regular edition.

Was the full $60+tax for me and it's not even listed as being an artbook version. Though it wouldn't be the first time GameStop "upgraded" me without letting me know.

RyudBoy

Never heard of United Front Games...

So both versions were made by a different developer? That's pretty big news, maybe it deserves it's own thread.

Jack cw

Was the full $60+tax for me and it's not even listed as being an artbook version. Though it wouldn't be the first time GameStop "upgraded" me without letting me know.

Hehe, still I paid around 35 pounds for this, which is ok. I never had problems switching a limited or special edition to a regular one. Its only a problem the other way around. You were lucky then :)

sono

Gold Member
Cant wait for some impressions.

Amazon uk have both "Limited Digipack Version" and "Standard Edition" for preorder hope they bring the date forward..

Other than £4.99 (which is quite a lot in proportion..) anyone know what is the difference netween the two ? its not clear to me.

Gurish

To those are are playing it, would you consider the upgrade bigger than other cross-gen titles on PS4 like AC4, COD:ghost and such?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Finished it on PC, but haven't played any of the DLC. I'm really tempted to pick up the PS4 version. Best Buy's Gamer's Club 20 percent discount absolutely kills me.

"I wouln't buy it for $60, but $48..."

The single player DLC is very short. Minutes not hours.

Hey everyone! That was the longest stream ever. Let me know if you have any questions about the game / packaging and I'd be happy to answer. I'm going to pass out now and get back to you tomorrow. I'm digging that share button right about now. Just got 199 friend invites and 30+ Twitter followers. For doing nothing. lol

Gurish

Hey everyone! That was the longest stream ever. Let me know if you have any questions about the game / packaging and I'd be happy to answer. I'm going to pass out now and get back to you tomorrow. I'm digging that share button right about now. Just got 199 friend invites and 30+ Twitter followers. For doing nothing. lol
I have a question! :)

To those are are playing it, would you consider the upgrade bigger than other cross-gen titles on PS4 like AC4, COD:ghost and such?

And how was the framerate on PS4?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I guess as long as the Xbox One version doesn't dip below 30fps it's okay.

Top Bottom