• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, 1080p with TressFX is hefty as hell on even a decent PC rig, so I was fairly favorable it was running 30fps. Damn nice they are getting it hit 60fps with the upgrades. As for the tech console comparisons, well...

igoNc1qhWZW8k_zps1175ea1a.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i've made a huge mistake.

in all seriousness, thats great news for ps4 owners. at 30fps the improvements dont look that large over current gen, but i admit, if the x1 version was 60 it might tempt me to pick it up. i do find it interesting that we have a current gen port that runs at basically twice the framerate on ps4 vs x1 where it seems to me both should be able to hit 60. maybe a case of not bothering to optimize for the more difficult to program system?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Our poor Australian website is getting hammered :p. If it doesn't work, be patient, and try refreshing. Or just read this thread's OP.

Gonna wait till the game's out.
I still remember when Sega's PR insisted that the both version of Bayonetta was running at 60fps.

I know this isn't Sega, but I will remain skeptic anyway.

Bashtee

Wanted to buy the game, but 60€ is quite heavy. But if I don't buy, they won't make another Tomb Raider. So I have to buy it, because I want another Tomb Raider. This makes sense, so everyone has to buy it.

Can't wait to play it on my PS4, preorder just went out... They actually hit a nice spot with the release date. I don't think there is coming out anything special in feburary, right? Might get platinum with this one.

JLeack

Banned
Got the game. It reminds me exactly of the PC version. For some people that's reason to be excited. For others it might not be.

Artex

Banned
If I haven't played this game, should this be an insta-buy? Is it really that good? I haven't played Tomb Raider since the original on PC.

I fapped to pixelated Lara back then. I'm not proud of it. Actually, that's amazing I am proud of that.

Falaut

I, for one, have to say I'm very happy that it wasn't just locked down due to the lowest performer. Might actually drop the 60 for this as opposed to the original plan and waiting till the 39.99 drop.

i-Lo

I'd been happy with 30fps (because that's what the last gen version was at and I did not hear complaints) and now it sounds better with 60fps. Either way it's a good buy for xbone and a better value for money proposition for PS4 owners.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Boom Shakalaka!

PS4 twice as powerful as X1 confirmed.

Technically, it's around 33% more powerful if the X1 runs at 45 fps average as often as the PS4 runs at 60fps.

The_Monk

This is pretty good news because my humble PC can't have 60 FPS while keeping the same visual quality and the fact that I can pre-order the game for 49.99€ is tempting too but on the other hand I'm having so much fun cleaning my Backlog, it's just this would look nice on my PS4. Hmm, budgeting so hard, lately.

I'm also hoping for the best concerning this thread, I know there's going to be some rage, I just hope we can all respect ourselves. After all this is good news! ;)

VanWinkle

Gonna wait till the game's out.
I still remember when Sega's PR insisted that the both version of Bayonetta was running at 60fps.

I know this isn't Sega, but I will remain skeptic anyway.

I don't blame you, but we've heard several "hands-on" reports from people saying that it was 60 on PS4.

Amir0x

Banned
i've made a huge mistake.

in all seriousness, thats great news for ps4 owners. at 30fps the improvements dont look that large over current gen, but i admit, if the x1 version was 60 it might tempt me to pick it up. i do find it interesting that we have a current gen port that runs at basically twice the framerate on ps4 vs x1 where it seems to me both should be able to hit 60. maybe a case of not bothering to optimize for the more difficult to program system?

And a case of every other aspect of Sony's PS4 also being significantly more powerful

more difficult to develop for, significantly less powerful = differences like this all gen

everyone should just get used to it early on in the gen so it doesn't drive them insane

Unlocked framerates is shitty on both consoles.

I'll quote EatChildren again from a previous TR thread

Disclaimer: I do not recall PR saying it was 60fps, or any FPS for that matter, so please don't take my word as fact. However, as I was playing other games there as well, the Tomb Raider build on PlayStation 4 definitely looked 60fps with slight dips by comparison to other titles on show and my own experience with 60fps titles. If someone were to ask me "What framerate was Tomb Raider HD on PS4 running?" I wouldn't hesitate to say "Targeting and seemingly usually hitting 60fps".

No, I mean, I don't understand where the reports of "Tomb Raider runs at 30fps" are coming from when having seen and played the PlayStation 4 build today it seemed on average to be far closer if not sitting on 60fps. The framerate is unlocked in the sense that it's not locked 60fps; it did have some dips. But the dips were pretty small of the little I played/saw. I like to think I know a 30fps game when I see it, and this did not look 30fps. It looked 60fps, or very close to.

It's unlocked, but it doesn't really sound like it's all over the place. It seems to stick very close to 60fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom