• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One / PlayStation 4) - Jan 28 2014

Trojan X

Banned
Thank you for reminding us of the PC version.

Yes, isn't it awesome? Such as marvelous piece of ingenuity! *rolleyes* Assuming you are being sarcastic, the point is that for those in doubt about the definitive version, they only need to look at the PC version for a great idea of what they'll receive on the PS4 and XBoxOne.

Anyhow, on to something interesting. A must watch for Tomb Raider fans:

croft-1508x706_c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQTW9V61jo

UnrealEck

Here you go:

If you still believe the lighting hasn't been improved you seriously need to replay the initial release because it certainly doesn't look like that.

Again, can't see how that looks better (especially from tiny little captures of a video) rather than simply a bit different. Screencaps of videos tend to look different to screenshots taken directly from the game. Especially things like colour and contrast. I'd have to see both side by side.

Yes, isn't it awesome? Such as marvelous piece of ingenuity! *rolleyes* Assuming you are being sarcastic, the point is that for those in doubt about the definitive version, they only need to look at the PC version for a great idea of what they'll receive on the PS4 and XBoxOne.

Anyhow, on to something interesting. A must watch for Tomb Raider fans:

croft-1508x706_c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQTW9V61jo
Nice film. It's remarkably apt that like the latest game it's a huge orgy of violence that contains no tomb raiding or swimming for that matter.

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone know if there's a definitive limited edition (like the dedsec edition of watch dogs). Basically the Tomb Raider DE LE :)

Harlequin

Again, can't see how that looks better (especially from tiny little captures of a video) rather than simply a bit different. Screencaps of videos tend to look different to screenshots taken directly from the game. Especially things like colour and contrast. I'd have to see both side by side.

In that case you don't remember the initial release of the game very well. The differences in a lot of those captures are obvious and they cannot be attributed to these being LQ YT captures. Just look at the lighting on Lara in the picture where she's hanging from a crate. Looks WAY better than in the initial release.

Nev

Banned
Yup. Totally.

You can show all the 4k max settings pics you want, that bland artstyle won't get better and therefore won't make it look less dull. Second and last pictures look straight dreadful (could perfectly be early gen) and I bet they're maxed out and high resolution. Actually, after watching them again, I'd say they all look unimpressive except maybe the third one and it's nothing special. Leave the hair effect out and they're so whatever.

GTA V for instance looks better for me and I've played it the only way I could: 720p, while I played Tomb Raider on PC with a much better resolution and fancy effects.
Artstyle > Graphics. Some PC fanatics (not saying you're one of them) still can't see this reality. Too bad for them.

On topic: I can't for the love of all things believe this is 30fps. Funny and sad at the same time.

tbm24

You can show all the 4k max settings pics you want, that bland artstyle won't get better and therefore won't make it look less dull. Second and last pictures look straight dreadful (could perfectly be early gen) and I bet they're maxed out and high resolution. Actually, after watching them again, I'd say they all look unimpressive except maybe the third one and it's nothing special. Leave the hair effect out and they're so whatever.

GTA V for instance looks better for me and I've played it the only way I could: 720p, while I played Tomb Raider on PC with a much better resolution and fancy effects.
Artstyle > Graphics. Some PC fanatics (not saying you're one of them) still can't see this reality. Too bad for them.

On topic: I can't for the love of all things believe this is 30fps. Funny and sad at the same time.
It's one thing to not like the art style of the game, it's a completely different thing to say the game looks like shit.

Harlequin

You can show all the 4k maxed up pics you want, that bland artstyle won't get better and therefore won't make it look less dull.

I'm going to agree that quite a few areas looked a bit bland (Shanty Town and the beach, especially). However, other areas look gorgeous (and not just graphically speaking - the monastery, Coastal Forest, Mountain Temple, etc.) so I guess it's a bit of a mixed bag when we're talking art style. But the game certainly is more visually pleasing than GTAV. That franchise is pretty much the worst example you can bring up when talking about art style (it's gotten a bit better with V I guess, but it still looks disgustingly generic and soulless). Unless you're talking about their promo posters.

You can read a bit about Tomb Raider's art style here: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-03/29/tomb-raider-art-interview

The John Martin painting is amazing and while not an immediate reference, it was in line with the paintings we were inspired by from Turner, Bierstadt and Church. They created some of the most amazing natural wonders that look beautiful but ominous; showing how nature can be scary. These influences were the foundation of bringing personality to the island of Yamatai.

BH: We wanted this game to be presented as if it were a documentary of her first adventure. Effects like lens flares, dirt, water and blood splashes on the lens add aesthetics to this documentary, further immersing players into our fictional world.

It's certainly not among the best art styles out there (though I do really like some of their concepts/ideas - I think I read another more elaborate interview once where they talked a lot about contrasting light and darkness and showed off concept art demonstrating it), I'll give you that. However, it also certainly doesn't look like shit (except for Shanty Town, perhaps - and even that looks beautiful from above at sunset).

Trojan X

Banned
My brother did a good chunk of stuntwork on this film. Shot guerrilla-style in and around North Vancouver and Squamish.

That's brilliant to hear. Can he shed some light on his production experiences making this film and any chance for more info on him? I understand if he wish to remain anonymous.

What I like about the film is the person playing Lara is not some gorgeous girl, but she is definitely a women that you want to be protected and not see get her which is a good emotion tie. That's why I'm not keen on the new adjusted model Lara in the definitive version. It was not necessary. Turned Lara from a women you want to protect to a women who swims in vanity and always looks good in a bad day, hence you don't care if she get hurt nor die. I feel the developers or the decision maker definitely made the wrong decision there.

EDIT - BTW, any chance of obtaining the original file? Watching the movie 1080p compressed on Youtube is horrid due to Youtube's compression. I would love to have the original if possible? Please PM.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
only played a couple hours of the 360 version, but i enjoyed em

would pick this up day one for ps4 but 60 seems a bit steep... will see how i feel on release day

zlatko

Banned
So what are the major complaints about this game for PS3/360? Also, how was the MP component? Oh, and has the developer stated what they are adding/doing differently for PS4/XB1 versions?

I wanted to play this because the MP didn't look horrible, and the SP looked to satiate that Uncharted gap until a new Uncharted.

Drop knowledge on me oh GAF.

Seventy5

So what are the major complaints about this game for PS3/360? Also, how was the MP component? Oh, and has the developer stated what they are adding/doing differently for PS4/XB1 versions?

I wanted to play this because the MP didn't look horrible, and the SP looked to satiate that Uncharted gap until a new Uncharted.

Drop knowledge on me oh GAF.
Uncharted without the cover and the weapons felt terrible outside of the bow. I really wanted to like it, and if they tighten up
the graphics on level 3
the gun handling a little bit, it could be a pretty decent MP TPS. I've got mine preordered for PS4 and paid off, so I really hope they addressed the gunplay.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Already own this on Steam, but might pick it up on PS4 to play through it for the first time.

Wish they would release a comparison video like ACIV did.

Sorry, but Tomb Raider has one of the best jungle stage IMO, the artstyle and details on the environments is just crazy compared to same old souless and boring city in GTAV. Not to mention the horrible texture and pop up. Nah.

people saying that tomb raider looks amazing did not play another games that have way better textures. the art style and the environments were done with the xbox 360/ps3 in mind and it shows even on PC at max settings, they won't redo textures or anything, it will be a straight port.

I finished the PS3 version of this today, so I probably won't be getting this anytime soon. I don't think the visuals were the problem with this title. It was alright, but a new coat of paint isn't going to vault it above mediocre status.

Cloudy

Banned
Got the game at Best Buy this week ($30 with GCU). It is pretty great so far and even does what Uncharted has struggled with for 4 games: How to give the violence some context within the story

Opinions on the xbox one version of this. I see its 20 bucks right now. Id prefer this on my ps4 but for 20 bucks ill get it...if its worth it and runs okay.

MauroNL

Opinions on the xbox one version of this. I see its 20 bucks right now. Id prefer this on my ps4 but for 20 bucks ill get it...if its worth it and runs okay.
I enjoyed it very much, and saw no problems with performance. Was my first time playing the new Tomb Raider though, so don't have any comparisons

Top Bottom