• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

MYE

I thought it would be more like Guardian of Light with the pulled back, top-view camera and huge/lush enviroments

:(

Grisby

There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.

Uh, ok. I really don't know what to say to that. Seems like CD is taking a page from Dead Space :lol

All in all it sounds great. Hopefully they can keep the structured tombs though or something like that of the old games.

TheOddOne

DennisK4 said:
Open World + Uncharted + Arkham Asylum + Metroidvania= *jizz in pants*

Open world
Open world
Open world
Open world
Open world
Open world
Open world
Open world
ALL OVER MY FACE

kenta said:
So, 2011 or 2012?

Date is listed as TBD. But the leaked reports says that it's due Christmas 2011.

Also they do touch on the puzzle aspect. CD apparently doesn't want them to be described as puzzles though. But they do exist. CD is trying to make them seem like they belong in the world. So don't expect to be running across any giant cogs or levers.

"I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
Sounds fucking awesome

Tucah

you speak so well
As someone who really hasn't played a Tomb Raider game and has no real interest in the franchise, this sounds pretty great, color me interested.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Someone needs to go to that Zero Punctuation review of TR Anniversary where Yahtzee shows Lara falling down to her death over and over and make a GIF of that. :p

But omg, Metroid Lara Croft? YES PLEASE! This game sounds so good. In a lot of ways, it feels like a culmination of reboot ideas that have been thrown around for a while now, but so much better. An entirely open world environment, met with Metroid-esque exploration and leveling up. Hell yeah.

I am completely hyped for this. 21 year old Lara who's not skilled in acrobatics or gunplay? Surviving on an island in a LOST-esque environment? With Metroid-style design?? omfg

Anniversary was great, but I think my hyperbole bubble promises this reboot will be even better :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
SolidSnakex said:
- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

What does that even mean?

SSX said:
That's about it. It seems like CD is still be fairly secretive about the gameplay details. There are some nice in-game screenshots. One features Lara hanging upside down in what looks to be a cocoon. Also several screenshots showing her bloodied and with bandages on.

How's the in game model? Is the concept art at all representative?

Salaadin

There are guns....I wonder how ammo is obtained. Maybe you can only resupply at the base camps or something. Itd be weird if she was stranded on this island with ammo scattered around the caves.

Or theyll just make it infinite.

recklessmind said:

Theyre trying to make a new name for it or something and put the focus solely on the game and not have Rhona Mitra or Nell McAndrew running around in short shorts and tight tank tops.

:(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SolidSnakex said:
Also they do touch on the puzzle aspect. CD apparently doesn't want them to be described as puzzles though. But they do exist. CD is trying to make them seem like they belong in the world. So don't expect to be running across any giant cogs or levers.
Goddammit. Well there better be some environmental puzzles.

szaromir

Banned
I was afraid Tomb Raider would go corridor-ish after uncharted 2's ultrapositive reception, luckily CD chose their own direction. Can't wait.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sounds like all the typical junk devs like to put up like they're so amazing and innovative but fails miserably in the end.

Um, okay.

- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
What does this even mean? The outfit?

I thought they did this with all of them.

- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
Lame, and reflecting poor focus/priorities on the part of the developer.

- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.

If it can really deliver, great. However, there was a reason for it in TR games. The mobility of movement and use of environment was the reason for lock on. To make a free aim system really work, it would seem like they have to change the way movement works in general. Basically towards a more realistic approach, which also implies cover tactics, which is really boring to me. I never wanted a Tomb Raider in a traditional action game style, so hopefully they can innovate for real.

- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guided."
I can't remember how many times I've been told this. Same old Far Cry boring-ass flat open world type of bullshit is what it sounds like. If they can truly do this then that is great, but I reeeeaaaaaally doubt it.

- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
So basically they're admitting that they failed on the previous point about the level design. I hate it when games have some stupid arbitrary "learn new moves" and "make new tools" shit. Never in the history of videogames has it worked out for the best. Yes, not even in Metroid. I hate really this shit.

- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
UGH. As I was saying before, this crap only reveals failure of good level design and game structure. I can pretty much guarantee this game is going to be terribly boring and feel like a series of chores to work through a gauntlet of arbitrary shit.

UUUUUGH

- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.
Whatever.

Evolved1

Salaadin said:
There are guns....I wonder how ammo is obtained. Maybe you can only resupply at the base camps or something. Itd be weird if she was stranded on this island with ammo scattered around the caves.

Maybe the weapons she has are scavenged from the people shipwrecked there before her. WWII weapons, and stuff even before that.

Salaadin said:
Theyre trying to make a new name for it or something and put the focus solely on the game and not have Rhona Mitra or Nell McAndrew running around in short shorts and tight tank tops.

Oh..... duh. :lol

recklessmind said:
How's the in game model? Is the concept art at all representative?

There's only one screen where you get a good shot of her face. But in that one she does resemble the concept art.

Stallion Free said:
Goddammit. Well there better be some environmental puzzles.

There definitely will be. That's what they're going for in this game. They're just saying that don't expect any of the overly elaborate stuff (like the octopus puzzle in Underworld). They want it to be realistic and make sense in the world.

Peff

By "no real model" they mean the lack of this:

9mdsX.jpg

Dice said:

They mean a Human PR girl.

^ Yeah that.

Evolved1

Dice said:
Sounds like all the typical junk devs like to put up like they're so amazing and innovative but fails miserably in the end.

*snip*

Whatever.

Omg... we are so different.

I'm going to quote myself from the original thread because now I have a good feeling about this.

A survival-ish tomb raider game with climbing dynamics similar to Assassin's Creed, an open world jungle environment similar to far cry and healing/feeding gameplay similar to MGS3. Oh my.

FUCK YES. Bring it to papa. In Crystal Dynamics we trust. I remember these guys were godlike with their Soul Reaver puzzles. Hopefully they still have it in them.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Salaadin said:

My guess? The island has nazi zombies who got lost and arrived on the island during WWII, OR there was a mercenary ship wreck from earlier, resulting in guns, OR the boat that she was cast ashore by was secretly loaded with illegal arms.

Boney said:
I don't see how this is any Metroid related.. but sounds cool. Not really fond of the gruesome deaths, no idea why.
Open world exploration with areas that are cut off until you acquire the tools and skills to continue forward? I'd say that's pretty Metroid.

recklessmind said:
The fact that they're not hiring a model to represent Lara Croft at expos and conventions for this game implies that they're COMPLETELY rebooting their entire approach to Lara Croft, as a brand, a character, and everything related to how they had been doing things for the past decade and a half.

Ceebs

Not liking the sound of the free aim stuff. If they are going that far with it, then you have to assume shooting stuff will be a much larger part of the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boney said:
I don't see how this is any Metroid related.. but sounds cool. Not really fond of the gruesome deaths, no idea why.
"It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking."

IDK SEEMS PRETTY OBV.

Dice said:
They usually have a real-life model dress up as lara croft and promote the game

Elios83

Cool, so basically it's a mix of Uncharted (new fighting system with free aim) and Assassin's Creed (open world, full exploration unlocked as you progress through the game, hub/warp zones to avoid excessive travelling) with a RPG-like system for the character with elements taken from Snake Eater.
Sounds really interesting, can't wait to see the screens/footage.

Wallach

Boney said:
Not really fond of the gruesome deaths, no idea why.

I like it. I feel like that harkens back to the original games, where Lara really had some horrible death sequences. Makes me think of swan diving off an inappropriate ledge and landing head first onto solid rock and hearing most of her bones break in a rather disturbing way.

Ashes

Banned
She:
LA12373-a

Looks like cross between:
Deepika padakone:
Lafangey-Parindey-Deepika-Padukone-First-Look.jpg

lafangey-parindey-deepika-padukone.jpg

+
Adrian lima
adriana_lima_wedding.jpg

at a younger age.

I know my supermodels... :p

derFeef

Dice said:
*snip*
What... how can you be so negative on everything?

Dice said:

Um, okay.

I thought they did this with all of them.

Lame, and reflecting poor focus/priorities on the part of the developer.

If it can really deliver, great. However, there was a reason for it in TR games. The mobility of movement and use of environment was the reason for lock on. To make a free aim system really work, it would seem like they have to change the way movement works in general. Basically towards a more realistic approach, which also implies cover tactics, which is really boring to me. I never wanted a Tomb Raider in a traditional action game style, so hopefully they can innovate for real.

- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guided."
I can't remember how many times I've been told this. Same old Far Cry boring-ass flat open world type of bullshit is what it sounds like. If they can truly do this then that is great, but I reeeeaaaaaally doubt it.

So basically they're admitting that they failed on the previous point about the level design. I hate it when games have some stupid arbitrary "learn new moves" and "make new tools" shit. Never in the history of videogames has it worked out for the best. Yes, not even in Metroid. I hate really this shit.

UGH. As I was saying before, this crap only reveals failure of good level design and game structure. I can pretty much guarantee this game is going to be terribly boring and feel like a series of chores to work through a gauntlet of arbitrary shit.

UUUUUGH

Whatever.

Basically, they're bringing the most boring and annoying elements in current gen gaming + scripted jumping and bad combat.

Time to get on the hype train!

Paracelsus

Ceebs said:
Not liking the sound of the free aim stuff. If they are going that far with it, then you have to assume shooting stuff will be a much larger part of the game.

What's the point of having brutal death animations if even the strongest enemies like beasts and demons can't get near you thanks to auto aim?

So is this is a top down isometric shooter like Guardian of Light or a 3rd person shooter like Uncharted or Gears of War?

sounds awesome honestly!

Story of a survivor in an open world with no ties to the prior shite canon (sorry, but it was). Can't wait!

Haunted

New direction sounds more appealing than the linear dial-a-platforming, unimaginative lever puzzles and terrible auto-aim combat. All elements that were fine when the first game came out, but are pretty much outdated by now.

The gameplay hasn't been Tomb Raider's strength for years. Glad to see they're at least trying to switch it up.

Evolved1

Ceebs said:

I'm playing through Underworld (again) right now. It is not possible to do worse than this lock-on system. It's not possible. :lol

TripOpt55

People have their magazine already!?! I probably won't get mine for like a week. Oh well sounds pretty cool. When the rumored details came out I was thinking that new tools would give you access to new areas and stuff like that. Curious how it looks.

Salaadin

Ceebs said:

Recent Tomb Raiders have free aim.....at least Underworld did. Theyre just eliminating that extra button press to do it.

RobertM

SolidSnakex said:
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
They finally realized what made Tomb Raider great, but again it's not just the illusion of freedom, it's the slow and careful exploration of the environment coupled with layers of puzzles that in the end can manipulate the environment.

Top Bottom