• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Cow Mengde said:
Basically, they're bringing the most boring and annoying elements in current gen gaming + scripted jumping and bad combat.

Time to get on the hype train!

You've said this twice. Why?

You think old TR combat was good? It wasn't. Ever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Haunted said:
The gameplay hasn't been Tomb Raider's strength for years. Glad to see they're at least trying to switch it up.
Huh? The last three Tomb Raiders have had some of the best platforming mixed with puzzles compared to pretty much anything released in the last ten years. I'm not sure how that core gameplay isn't a strength.

Pooya

so I take it that there are no Japanese horror movie inspired monsters in this game? sounds like they are aiming for a realistic setting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
miladesn said:
so I take it that there are no Japanese horror movie inspired monsters in this game? sounds like they are aiming at a realistic setting.
Every other detail from the rumors still seems to be there, so my guess is that they're just not revealed yet.

LiK

miladesn said:
so I take it that there are no Japanese horror movie inspired monsters in this game? sounds like they are aiming at a realistic setting.
Maybe the monsters are just her imagination. Lara is actually insane in this game. :3

Ceebs

recklessmind said:
I'm playing through Underworld (again) right now. It is not possible to do worse than this lock-on system. It's not possible. :lol
Never said it was good, in fact they could strip out the combat entirely for all I care. I am just concerned it may turn into just another 3rd person shooter.

recklessmind said:

I never said old Tomb Raider games were good. I've never played any of them. I did play 2 levels of Underworld at a friend's place on was bored to tears by the elements mentioned above. Then dice had to bring and and remind me this game also includes open world and tons of other crap. Well, MAYBE the Metroid like up grades won't be too bad.

george_us

SolidSnakex said:
There definitely will be. That's what they're going for in this game. They're just saying that don't expect any of the overly elaborate stuff (like the octopus puzzle in Underworld). They want it to be realistic and make sense in the world.
Awwww the crazy elaborate puzzles were why Tomb Raider was awesome. Not really liking what I'm hearing so far but I want to see some gameplay vids before I form an opinion.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
derFeef said:
What... how can you be so negative on everything?
Yahtzee is my hero.

No, wait. I mean I have been playing videogames for 25 years. I saw them rise into brilliant treasures of human ingenuity and dynamic application of skill and then watched them devolve into chores painted with cinematic attributes. Worst of all, I wasted many dollars and hours searching for fun in such games, until I finally learned how to recognize what shit smells like.

Cow Mengde said:
Basically, they're bringing the most boring and annoying elements in current gen gaming + scripted jumping and bad combat.
Time to get on the hype train!
Finally, someone else who gets it.

Boney

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Open world exploration with areas that are cut off until you acquire the tools and skills to continue forward? I'd say that's pretty Metroid.
Well, personally speaking, the fact that they're in a real life island, it doesn't make sense to cut off areas like that since they'd always be alternate routes.

Besides, stuff that would help you explore would be different part of your arsenal for the most part, I'm thinking stuff like machete, climbing gear, diving gear, dinamite for blowing a wall, scream one time use to me with by selecting from menu. And not to mention the whole camp thing.

I guess I sound bitter because I don't even think 2D Metroids are that similar to modern Castlevanias.

Oh well, looks good though.

Evolved1

Cow Mengde said:
I never said old Tomb Raider games were good. I've never played any of them. I did play 2 levels of Underworld at a friend's place on was bored to tears by the elements mentioned above. Then dice had to bring and and remind me this game also includes open world and tons of other crap. Well, MAYBE the Metroid like up grades won't be too bad.

But where are you getting auto jumping from?

Ellis Kim

Banned
recklessmind said:

Yeah, I don't know why he keeps saying "scripted jumping."

When I think scripted jumping, I think Enslaved. Or Zelda. I mean, the TR games sort of have this, but its more "magnetic" than anything.

The TR Anniversary adrenaline thing, I thought, was really good and superior to the bullshit they put in Legend and Underworld. There was also no fighting of humans, either.

As you can tell, I fucking hate Legend and Underworld. Anniversary is <3

recklessmind said:
I'm playing through Underworld (again) right now. It is not possible to do worse than this lock-on system. It's not possible. :lol
lol, its really not possible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fimbulvetr said:
When was this conformed?
It wasn't.

He's just assuming that a jump you can't get over earlier has to be scripted instead.

My personal assumption however is that they're actually having you jump higher.

Evolved1

Dice said:
Finally, someone else who gets it.

The first part of his post was opinion... but the last part of his post was pure speculation, and very likely inaccurate.

Carlisle

Jocchan said:
First time I'm genuinely interested in a Tomb Raider game in years.
Same. I played through TR1 and like 3/4 of TR2 before it just got really weird and couldn't go on. Haven't even cast the franchise so much as half-interested glance since. Though after reading the last two threads on this, I really want to play Anniversary now.

recklessmind said:
But where are you getting auto jumping from?

Most of today's games use scripted jumping. Underworld used scripted jumping and chances are, this will also have scripted jumping. Sure it's not confirmed, but the only game I can think of off the top of my head that didn't have scripted jumping was Super Mario Galaxy and other Nintendo platformers. If it's on an HD console, jumping needs to be cinematic and easy for hardcore gamers.

derFeef

Dice said:
Yahtzee is my hero.

No, wait. I mean I have been playing videogames for 25 years. I saw them rise into brilliant treasures of human ingenuity and dynamic application of skill and then watched them devolve into chores painted with cinematic attributes. Worst of all, I wasted many dollars and hours searching for fun in such games, until I finally learned how to recognize what shit smells like.

May I ask what games you enjoy, or give an example of a game you recently enjoyed?

Boney

Banned
Nirolak said:
It wasn't.

He's just assuming that a jump you can't get over earlier has to be scripted instead.

High_Jump_Boots_upgrade.JPG

Put me on an island, to survive, to adapt, to gain new skills, traverse the island, discover some mystery... sound fucking awesome to me! Heres to the new Tomb Raider game!

Eccocid

I am a big fan of Tr games..She is 21 in this game urgh..and she looks like a 15 loli..ugh i dont like young Lara! :(

Dennis

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Yup. Sounds really interesting, though I too question why the brutal deaths are being included in the feature list.
Because it is a popular and fondly remembered feature from a small and modestly succesful game by the name of Resident Evil 4.

LiK

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Put me on an island, to survive, to adapt, to gain new skills, traverse the island, discover some mystery... sound fucking awesome to me! Heres to the new Tomb Raider game!
Tomb Raider: LOST

szaromir

Banned
Nirolak said:
It wasn't.

Or Lara will find ropes and other cloimbing accessories, that do make some places easier/possible to reach.

Evolved1

Cow Mengde said:
Most of today's games use scripted jumping. Underworld used scripted jumping and chances are, this will also have scripted jumping. Sure it's not confirmed, but the only game I can think of off the top of my head that didn't have scripted jumping was Super Mario Galaxy and other Nintendo platformers. If it's on an HD console, jumping needs to be cinematic and easy for hardcore gamers.

Are you fucking with me right now? :lol

The post is pretty hard to wrap my head around.

Dreohboy

I'll get this because Uncharted ain't coming to the PC anytime soon, and a PC strong enough to emulate a PS3 aint made yet.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of puzzles. Making ancient giant building and machines work to open a passage or unlock a door were my favorite thing about Tomb Raider. Hopefully they are not completely gone and he was just speaking more about these types of puzzles being everywhere to preventing you from moving forward.

Edit: Oh one more thing. No fucking scripted events!

jim-jam bongs said:
Yup. Sounds really interesting, though I too question why the brutal deaths are being included in the feature list.

The game will be M rated this time. CD said that they feel that part of Lara's previous image was the she was invincible. They want to make a point that she's a real character this time. And part of their way of doing that is showing you that she can be hurt. They describe a scene where she's impaled by a spike and the player has to pull it out. After that you can see that her face is muddied with only sweat and tears exposing her tears.

Lunchbox

Banned
imm make her crouch over, face her towards a small cave, put the camera behind her and move her forward and backwards

Dabanton

Dreohboy said:
I'll get this because Uncharted ain't coming to the PC anytime soon, and a PC strong enough to emulate a PS3 aint made yet.

LOL

Just get a PS3. You have Uncharted 1 and 2 and a potential third being revealed soon.

But you'd rather wait to emulate a PS3. :lol

Good luck waiting.

Forkball

There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.

FINALLY they implemented the one concept that will get me to pay attention to this franchise: Lara Croft getting stabbed in the chest by a psychopath.

derFeef

I <3 Memes said:
Well it's true. Obviously PC's are much more powerful than consoles, but emulation takes a machine a great number of times more powerful then the console it's emulating.
It was more directed towards Uncharted being like Tomb Raider (and especially this new one)

Ellis Kim

Banned
Nirolak said:
It wasn't.

Since Lara starts off as being "an inexperienced youth," I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't jump/run any better than a not-terribly-athletic-but-fit college student, and over the course of the game, you attribute points or some such to increase her acrobatic skills.

So basically, she goes from being a notch below Nathan Drake's athleticism (ridiculous monkey grip notwithstanding), to two notches above Nathan Drake's athleticism.

apana

I don't always like "realistic" reboots of franchises. Most of the time it doesn't work and ends up making things more corny. Who I am I kidding tho, at this rate we are probably gonna have a realistic reboot of Star Fox.

Top Bottom