• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

Ellis Kim

Banned
Kraftwerk said:
I really want a wallpaper of that image without all the text =/
Which one? There were some image rips in the other threads that I'm sure someone could dig through.

edit: beaten

SolidSnakex said:
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
Are they going for an M?!

Dabanton

rataven said:
Looking forward to welcoming TR back. She looks beautiful. Tad disappointed they've made her younger though.

Well they are rebooting the series and Lara having her abilities right from the start would be pointless so her being younger makes sense.

Eccocid

I hope gathering food and collecting stuff doesn't interrupt the flow of game like they did in MGS3.
I don't care for survival elements to be honest, sounds like a hassle..Just give me big realistic tombs and ancient cities for exploration :(

Ellis Kim

Banned
Dabanton said:
Well they are rebooting the series and Lara having her abilities right from the start would be pointless so her being younger makes sense.
I also like the TOMB RAIDER logo font reboot. Its very... not-tacky :)

DonMigs85 said:
Aw shucks, no more Natla or anything?
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if Natla came back in name-only

Eccocid said:
I hope gathering food and collecting stuff doesn't interrupt the flow of game like they did in MGS3.
I don't care for survival elements to be honest, sounds like a hassle..Just give me big realistic tombs and ancient cities for exploration :(
But can you imagine if they went and made this 3DTV compatible? Gosh, it'd be like what MGS3 was like, but more!

StrayB

- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
I've always considered the Lara models a waste of marketing money... flying the model and her handlers around the world to strike poses for the camera. *rolleyes*

- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
I hope these aren't quicktime events.

- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
Good stuff, and about time. But I wish there was more info. Third person, no-auto-aim can be designed in several ways. Compete with any of their competitors? I mean, if you were to ask Ninja Theory about the truly awful combat in Enslaved and Heavenly Sword, I bet they'd say with a straight face that it's comparable to their competitors.

- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
Being constrained in traversal doesn't have to be a negative design choice if it's done well. (e.g. Previous TR games by CD, the caves of AssCreedBro, and even Uncharted in some cases).The big issue in TRU was invisible walls, which easily could've been solved by placing a treeline, or boulder, or whatever to block the path. I hope the game doesn't go in the direction of Far Cry 2 in terms of openness (running around on flat, and rather boring, land). I'd prefer more vertical traversal... by climbing stuff that doesn't have obvious paths.

The rest sounds interesting. I patiently wait for more gameplay info to be released.

DennisK4 said:
Because it is a popular and fondly remembered feature from a small and modestly succesful game by the name of Resident Evil 4.

I'm not familiar with that game. Is it on the PSP or something?

SolidSnakex said:
The game will be M rated this time. CD said that they feel that part of Lara's previous image was the she was invincible. They want to make a point that she's a real character this time. And part of their way of doing that is showing you that she can be hurt. They describe a scene where she's impaled by a spike and the player has to pull it out. After that you can see that her face is muddied with only sweat and tears exposing her tears.

This makes sense I guess. I don't have any issue with the brutality itself if it's for the sake of immersion, I was more just wondering why they were putting it on the 10 point feature list. If they're trying to emphasise that it's a much harsher take than predecessors then it seems a lot less sleazy. It kind of sounds like Far Cry 2 except, you know, not shit.

Ellis Kim

Banned
StrayB said:
I hope these aren't quicktime events.
:O

You just gave me an idea

Wouldn't it be cool if they approached fail state/death in this game by making the killing blow animation a QTE, and if you survived it, you were given back a small bit of health (kind of like how bosses in QTE-based games do, i.e. God of War). It'd be nice to be the one to get health back from "failed QTEs," instead of penalizing the player by the enemy getting back health >_>

rataven

Dabanton said:
Sure, makes sense, and I can understand why they did it. But from what I know, Lara was one of the few female gaming characters whose age I could relate too. It's just a personal old-fart thing :D

SolidSnakex said:
The game will be M rated this time. CD said that they feel that part of Lara's previous image was the she was invincible. They want to make a point that she's a real character this time. And part of their way of doing that is showing you that she can be hurt. They describe a scene where she's impaled by a spike and the player has to pull it out. After that you can see that her face is muddied with only sweat and tears exposing her tears.
Well I don't care how she dies, as long as she gets into slightly sexual positions while dying.

Sounds really interesting, and great looking art too!

I don't really care for the guro fetish thing they seem to have going though.

Ellis Kim

Banned
RustyNails said:
Well I don't care how she dies, as long as she gets into slightly sexual positions while dying.
Well, it sounds more like they're using spikes and what have you as a demonstration to show that she's more "real," and that any damage taken that isn't just a blood texture here and there, and a lowered health bar, but more realistic like how it is in MGS3 (i.e. bow shots will remain embedded in your character model if its not removed; little reel clips showing Snake patching himself up/relocating his joints, etc).

Also, I don't think their intentions are to make this game into a snuff film :S

JohngPR

DaBuddaDa said:
Open World + Uncharted + Arkham Asylum = *frothing mouth*

Touting this as a "feature" is incredibly sleazy.

I think that's an homage to the first few TR games. Those had some brutal (for the time) death animations as well. All of that sounds really great. I'm hoping they can pull it off. I've been a big Crystal D fan for a while so I'm sure they can.

Sounds awesome, but we'll see how it pans out. Loving the Metroid vibes though.

Also loving the brutal deaths. Reminds me of RE4... one of the great aspects of the game, actually added a lot of tension to it.

Ellis Kim said:
Well, it sounds more like they're using spikes and what have you as a demonstration to show that she's more "real," and that any damage taken that isn't just a blood texture here and there, and a lowered health bar, but more realistic like how it is in MGS3 (i.e. bow shots will remain embedded in your character model if its not removed; little reel clips showing Snake patching himself up/relocating his joints, etc).
She had spikey deaths in Tomb Raiders 1-4. Worst of all was swan diving into concrete from 500ft. Dat crunchy sound.

Ellis Kim

Banned
RustyNails said:
She had spikey deaths in Tomb Raiders 1-4. Worst of all was swan diving into concrete from 500ft. Dat crunchy sound.
Yeah, I know, but I also don't think its their intention to particularly glorify her death sequences, either, at least not to Dead Space's almost comical extent. If anything, I think they may be simply appeasing to the spikey deaths in the older games, and leaving it at that.

Ellis Kim said:
Yeah, I know, but I also don't think its their intention to particularly glorify her death sequences, either, at least not to Dead Space's almost comical extent.

I don't think that they want to glorify it here as much as they just want to show you that she really is in danger. The previous TR games had a very clean look to them. And Lara really did seem like she was invincible. Once you see what this game looks like you'll quickly see that it looks very different from TR. It's very dark and grimey looking and Lara is muddied and bloody in nearly every screen.

Ellis Kim

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I don't think that they want to glorify it here as much as they just want to show you that she really is in danger. The previous TR games had a very clean look to them. And Lara really did seem like she was invincible. Once you see what this game looks like you'll quickly see that it looks very different from TR. It's very dark and grimey looking and Lara is muddied and dirty in nearly every screen.
Sounds good to me :D

Dabanton

JohngPR said:
I think that's an homage to the first few TR games. Those had some brutal (for the time) death animations as well. All of that sounds really great. I'm hoping they can pull it off. I've been a big Crystal D fan for a while so I'm sure they can pull it off.

Yeah Lara falling to her death always used to make me wince as the heights were so scary.

There were tons of graphic deaths in previous tomb raiders. Get flatironed by a boulder, die by spikes, become a tangled mess from a big fall, or get your head chomped off by t-rex, get killed by raptors, or just become t-rex dinner.

JohngPR

Peff said:
By "no real model" they mean the lack of this:

9mdsX.jpg

Aw, no more of this.

croft2.jpg

:lol

Amir0x

Banned
They've been steadily improving the Tomb Raider formula. This doesn't sound like Tomb Raider, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lots of this sounds like stuff I don't want in Tomb raider game. Open world, brutal deaths, skill improvement to reach new areas (bad flashback from TR:AoD 'skill system'), teleporting between areas.

From that one quote saying it was a necessity to change, It's like they realised they can't improve enough what they have to compete with their current competition, so they decided it's time to aim at some new competitors. Regardless of that, and I hate to say it, but seeing how last big TR game went from bad to worse to terribad near the end, I don't have much hope anymore in the developer pulling off something so much changed and more complex. But if they pull it off, I'm there. I just can't bring myself to be hyped right now, all things considered.

Amir0x

Banned
Also, just a thought, now that they got a Pegi 18+ rating, they can do an official lara croft nude code!

You win, unwashed geeks! :lol

Reknoc

I was interested until I got to the part where it said you have to gather food and water... then I got really excited. Can't wait to see more of this.

Pimpbaa

Dice said:
Sounds like all the typical junk devs like to put up like they're so amazing and innovative but fails miserably in the end.

- Lara is 21 in this game
Um, okay.

- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
What does this even mean? The outfit?

- They're doing performance capturing with this game
I thought they did this with all of them.

Lame, and reflecting poor focus/priorities on the part of the developer.

- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.

If it can really deliver, great. However, there was a reason for it in TR games. The mobility of movement and use of environment was the reason for lock on. To make a free aim system really work, it would seem like they have to change the way movement works in general. Basically towards a more realistic approach, which also implies cover tactics, which is really boring to me. I never wanted a Tomb Raider in a traditional action game style, so hopefully they can innovate for real.

- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guided."
I can't remember how many times I've been told this. Same old Far Cry boring-ass flat open world type of bullshit is what it sounds like. If they can truly do this then that is great, but I reeeeaaaaaally doubt it.

- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
So basically they're admitting that they failed on the previous point about the level design. I hate it when games have some stupid arbitrary "learn new moves" and "make new tools" shit. Never in the history of videogames has it worked out for the best. Yes, not even in Metroid. I hate really this shit.

- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
UGH. As I was saying before, this crap only reveals failure of good level design and game structure. I can pretty much guarantee this game is going to be terribly boring and feel like a series of chores to work through a gauntlet of arbitrary shit.

- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
UUUUUGH

- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.
Whatever.

Hey look, a gaffer being absurdly negative about a game. What are the odds?

Top Bottom